Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    AC4 was great fun, it doesn't hurt that the protagonist was Welsh too. :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I might have to check it out. I swore it off when it was released, but everyone keeps talking about how good it is and I'm sure a good portion of the bugs have been sorted out by now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I was the same, I didn't pick it up on release as AC3 nearly killed my interest in the series (I never completed it). AC4, though, is just fantastic, there is so much to explore.
    @MajorDSmythe, same here. Took me months to beat ACIII, and it was a complete chore throughout. Sounds like you and I were in the same boat, so I'll definitely have to check out ACIV.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    At some point, I'll buy the new Assassin's Creed. It looks great. I just need to get my console back!
    What happened with your console again, @Samuel001?
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    It's packed away with everything else from my Dad's house. As soon as I get a place of my own, hopefully by the Summer, it's coming back out again. I, of course, haven't played a game since before Christmas, so I'm looking forward to that time arriving.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It's packed away with everything else from my Dad's house. As soon as I get a place of my own, hopefully by the Summer, it's coming back out again. I, of course, haven't played a game since before Christmas, so I'm looking forward to that time arriving.

Well I'm sure your time with it will be more enjoyable given that it's been a few months. I don't know if I could go that long without gaming, though sometimes I'm kept very busy with college and don't end up playing for four or five days, which feels like an eternity.
    As you can imagine, with so much going on, I've haven't had time to miss it but now things are calming down, I really do look forward to playing a new game again.

That and the new Batman are the only two on my 'to-buy' list at the moment.

Plus, all being well, if I have full time employment by the end of the year, one of the first things I'll purchase is a PS4.
    Let me know what you think if you do end up getting a PS4. I made the switch after being a big Xbox fan and I haven't regretted it for a second. It was worth every penny. For $100 more, the Xbox One had to wow me and be much more powerful, and it just failed to do so.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Let me know what you think if you do end up getting a PS4. I made the switch after being a big Xbox fan and I haven't regretted it for a second. It was worth every penny. For $100 more, the Xbox One had to wow me and be much more powerful, and it just failed to do so.
    When the time comes for me to purchase one (which may be later rather than sooner) I look forward to gaming with you. Games like Rocksteady's final Batman and Uncharted 4 are making me nervous because I feel like if I don't get the new console before their releases they'll be spoiled for me before I can play them, which is a constant worry for me as we go further into this internet age of ours.
    They're still a good ways off, Brady, you have nothing to fear. You pretty much have to tackle everything ASAP when it comes to the 21st Century to avoid having fantastic films, games, and shows spoiled for you.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I do plan on getting either a ps4 or an Xbox One at some point in the future (quite a few games aren't released on Wii U, sadly, the upcoming Batman game being the latest example) and to be honest I'm gearing towards the Xbox One. I like the TV idea and the seamless switching, plus Titanfall looks really cool.

But then ps4 has Uncharted and is cheaper, so I'm not sure. I'll make my mind up nearer the time, I don't plan on getting either just yet.
    Honestly, the Xbox One seems like it only has 'Titanfall' going for it right now. That's what everyone keeps bringing up, but I haven't read many mind-blowing, positive things about it since the beta came out. People complain about CoD all the time, but it just looks like CoD with mechs to me. Hell, isn't it made by the same people that did MW3 or something?
    It's made by the people who did the first two Modern Warfare games apparently. I don't see how it's COD with mechs. Yeah the shooting looks similar but that's the same with pretty much every shooting game nowadays, from the videos I've seen, I think it's doing enough to make itself stand out.
    I get a different vibe from a good bit of videogames. It's only when they steal from CoD (which no other developer should) that I have an issue with it. It just has the same old CoD feel to it that I can't stand.
    But it looks nothing like COD. COD isn't a multiplayer only parkour/jetpack shooter set in the future with giant robots.

I wouldn't say it's the only thing Xbox One has going for it either. I think the kinect and TV stuff looks clever and Forza 5 is meant to be really good. There will probably be a new Halo and Gears Of War game on there at some point too.
    I've heard mostly negative things about the Kinect (the big point: why is it tacked on to make the entire console $100 pricier? Not many people used the Kinect on the 360, either) and I haven't heard anything about the TV stuff.

There's no swaying me with 'Titanfall,' it looks like a futuristic CoD with wall running and mechs. Doesn't impress me at all. With all the hype, it might sweep in and be the 'next CoD,' in a way, but give it a few years when they release them annually and the fans start crying more and more about it, and then it'll just be another disease like CoD is.
    AC 4 was as brilliant as I thought it'd be. Great open world with tons of stuff to do (all of it fun and rewarding), a good story with a great lead character, awesome ship battles and all the usual stuff that makes Assassin's Creed great (catchy soundtrack, parkour/climbing, fun combat, good character development, etc). It was like Assassin's Creed 3 meets Far Cry 3 with a bit of Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 sprinkled on top. My favourite game ever.

It's also a great example of what happens when you listen to fan feedback (they fixed nearly every problem AC 3 had) and proof that yearly releases don't always mean sub par games.

My only problem with it was that, like previous games, some of the main missions were a bit dull (tailing, eavesdropping, etc).
    Creasy47 wrote:
    it looks like a futuristic CoD with wall running and mechs.

I really don't see how it seems like COD other than the shooting which is the same in every single shooting game nowadays. If Titanfall is COD with mechs and parkour then Battlefield is COD with vehicles and destruction.
    @thelivingroyale, so you'd say it's worth a purchase, then? Coming from me, who hated ACIII, would you recommend it to someone like me?

I guess it's just the developer. I'm not necessarily talking about the elements, it's the whole feel to it: the reloading, the grenade throwing, the aiming and shooting, etc. I know it's a developer trademark, I suppose, but it irritates me and makes me feel like no matter what the source material is, it's still exactly like CoD.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I really don't see how it seems like COD other than the shooting which is the same in every single shooting game nowadays. If Titanfall is COD with mechs and parkour then Battlefield is COD with vehicles and destruction.

But, that is what Battlefield is. Besides, by the very nature of Titanfall's creators being COD's creators, it makes a little bit of sense that they'd try to replicate their previous success at their new studio. COD keeps selling discs and DLC, and as such, people copy them, even their own creators.
    Seems like there are definitely two Assassin's Creed games out this year and here's one of them.

http://kotaku.com/leaked-images-reveal-one-of-this-falls-two-assassins-1547111652

dcbc08cqhxtspmtpiiag.png

(more pictures at the link above)

French Revolution. This is the Xbox One/ps4 game and I'm assuming it'll be called Assassin's Creed 5 when it's released. Wish they'd announce it officially now, with a cool trailer like they normally do.

The city looks quite cool. I enjoyed AC 3 and I loved AC 4 but I did miss the big, awe inspiring cities from the first few games, with big tall buildings. Looks like they're back in this one. Wonder if Connor (or even Haytham) will be in it since it'll be set around the same time as AC 3?

I really should decide whether to get an xbox one or a playstation 4 to play it on. The xbox looks cooler but on the other hand, ps4 is cheaper. Does anyone own either? Or even better, does anyone own both? I'd really like a fair comparison so I know which is better.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    As ever, I am interested.

I'll buy a PS4, for what it's worth.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'll buy a PS4, for what it's worth.

Yeah that seems to be the more popular choice. It will have Uncharted and it's cheaper, but then it doesn't have Kinect or any of the TV stuff. Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

Are the graphics better on xbox or playstation?
    I've already got my PS4 earmarked for this Christmas. Uncharted 4 is about the sole reason (plus the inevitable sequel to The Last Of Us either next year or 2016).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I hope a Last of Us sequel doesn't happen, it was the perfect little game that needs no expansion.

Where the consoles are concerned, I'm going PS4 too. I've been a Sony guy for a long, long time through the cycles of the PS2 and 3, and I haven't found a reason to stop supporting them. And of course there's Uncharted, which I kind of wish they'd have finished off in last gen, though I understand the temptation to experiment with the new tech of the PS4.

@thelivingroyale, I'd say if you want a console purely for gaming only and want to save some cash, go PS4. If you want a gaming console plus other entertainment features (I know you like sports and that kind of thing), then maybe you should consider an XBOX as they cater more to those features as well. Either way, only you can make the decision in the end.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'd say if you want a console purely for gaming only and want to save some cash, go PS4.

Y'know, I've been a Sony/Nintendo guy since the PS1/N64 days. I've always preferred their consoles, and the only thing I ever buy a console for is gaming.

That said, the sad thing of it is, the Xbox One has the only game of the next few years (that's only next-gen, that is) that I actually want. Dead Rising 3. I enjoyed Uncharted 1-3, but by the end of 3, I was getting bored of the formula. I'd still like to play The Last of Us. So, sadly, there are no Sony-only franchises that I want to warrant a PS4, but there's one game I want to warrant an X1.
    @thelivingroyale, the PS4 hardware is more powerful than that of the XB1, and I've seen a few game comparisons that show the PS4 having better graphics.
    See I've never really been loyal to one brand. I had a nintendo 64, then a ps2, then a Wii, then a 360, then a ps3 (which broke), and I got a Wii U last year. I've had a bit of everything. Overall I'd say Nintendo are my favourite when it comes to consoles and I'd happily stick with the Wii U, but the new Batman game and apparently now the new Assassin's Creed aren't being released on it so I'm going to get one of the new ones when those games come out.

I think I'll probably go with ps4 although I might change my mind nearer the time. Thanks guys.

So does "alpha game footage" mean that the game is actually going to look like this? If so, wow. It looks amazing. I thought the last one was a fantastic looking game but this is on a whole other level. Graphics just keep getting better and better nowadays. I'm guessing since it isn't called Assassin's Creed V, they've dropped the numbered titles for good now.

And yep, it's only on the new consoles, so it looks like I'm getting either a ps4 or xbox one come November. This game is going to be brilliant.