Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Dead Rising 3' (which got mediocre reviews and doesn't look mind-blowing for next-gen)

I'll give you that it doesn't look mind blowing for a next-gen game (not to mention that the only decent addition is the ability to make combo weapons on the fly without having to stop at a maintenance shed), but...

Gamespot: 7/10
    IGN: 8.3/10
    Metacritic 78/100
    Gamerankings 78.33%

I'm not seeing "mediocre" there. "Average", maybe, but not "mediocre".

And, dear God... has it really been 8 years since the 360 was released?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mostly 7's and 8's, yeah, that's average, I suppose "mediocre" was a poor choice of words. Though what sucks is that I've seen a lot of 7's and 8's for some of the Xbox One games, which are roughly the same ratings given to 360 games this year. Shouldn't next-gen exclusives be mind-blowing in just about every aspect? They'll all be cheaply priced and forgotten about soon, I'm sure. I bought 'Condemned' when the 360 was released at, what, $50 or $60? Now, it's maybe a few dollars used.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The beginning of the next-gen is always a slow time for it. You have those few next-gen exclusives, which may or may not be worth the $400/$500 price tag, then there's the current-gen/next-gen cross console games, which are only worth the money if they have some good exclusive content. Plus, this generation doesn't have the huge graphical leap that we experienced jumping from the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube to the PS3/360/Wii. The PS4/X1/WiiU generation is pretty much more of the same, with a little better lighting and shading. Some exclusive content and maybe some console exclusives may sway the flag in a couple of years, but I don't see the current-gen phasing out any time soon thanks to the pure and simple fact that there's nothing really new out there yet.
    Yeah, I've noticed some of the next-gen games seem to have equal or lesser graphics as those on current-gen consoles.

I have BF4 to keep me preoccupied for a while, some games I can return to, and lots of older games I used to have, but, idiotically, traded in for next-gen. I'll return to those in the near future. There's just too much on current-gen to warrant making the jump now.
    I still have enough of several previous generations to keep me from jumping on the Eighth Generation bandwagon.
    I still have enough of several previous generations to keep me from jumping on the Eighth Generation bandwagon.

I picked up so many new 360 games when they were released, didn't open them, and then traded them in. Still irks me that I did something so stupid, but now that they're cheaper, I'll get back to all of them. I want to pick up the 'Bioshock' trilogy and work through those.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Does anyone know why the next gen consoles aren't as technologically advanced as the previous gen consoles were? As @Agent007391 says there isn't as big a leap as we've seen previously with PS2 to PS3 etc. or is it because they've been concentrating on the multimedia/social aspects of the consoles?
    @WillyGalore, speaking of multimedia, I've heard the blu-ray function of the PS4 is not as impressive as the PS3, as it lacks some key features.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @WillyGalore, speaking of multimedia, I've heard the blu-ray function of the PS4 is not as impressive as the PS3, as it lacks some key features.

Well I'll be keeping my PS3 anyway because I use it for my BluRays. Is the PS4 backwards compatible or could Sony not be arsed again?
    Neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One are backwards compatible. The machines can do so much, but they can't handle playing older games, for some reason.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One are backwards compatible. The machines can do so much, but they can't handle playing older games, for some reason.

Won't be many PS3's or 360's being traded in then. It's an utter farce when they do this.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Does anyone know why the next gen consoles aren't as technologically advanced as the previous gen consoles were? As @Agent007391 says there isn't as big a leap as we've seen previously with PS2 to PS3 etc. or is it because they've been concentrating on the multimedia/social aspects of the consoles?

I think it's only natural, @Willy. As time goes on technology grows to the point that little to no improvements are visible. We had a huge jump in quality from the PS2/Xbox/Game Cube era of games to the last gen's PS3 and Xbox 360 because so much new technology and possibilities were open to developers at the time, whereas now in the current gen of the PS4 and Xbox One technology has peaked so much that there is little improvement from the last gen. While there will no doubt be greater capabilities in the future, we have seemed to reach the best possible efficiency we can get out of these consoles at the present time, and that may be why there aren't as many improvements visible.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I think they know how to make the consoles backwards compatible, but don't because it's all just another big money making scheme. Think about it: If PS4s and Xbox Ones were backwards compatible, a big chunk of people who bought a PS3 and Xbox 360 last gen would return their consoles and get only one of the current gen systems, making Sony and Microsoft less profitable. Since the systems aren't backwards compatible, now anyone who wants to play both the PS3 and PS4's/Xbox 360 and Xbox One's games have to get/keep both systems and buy the games they want for each individual console, making the likes of Sony and Microsoft, as well as the rest of the gaming industry much more profit. It sucks for us gamers, but it's great for the industry.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I picked up so many new 360 games when they were released, didn't open them, and then traded them in. Still irks me that I did something so stupid, but now that they're cheaper, I'll get back to all of them. I want to pick up the 'Bioshock' trilogy and work through those.

Bioshock never interested me. Especially not Infinite.
    First details on 'Batman: Arkham Origins' DLC:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=111860
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

TAKE MY MONEY.
    Telltale's The Walking Dead season 2 starts sometime this month. Hopefully, it's as good as the first.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Telltale's The Walking Dead season 2 starts sometime this month. Hopefully, it's as good as the first.

Not 100% sure if playing as Clementine is a good idea. I think the playable character should've been Kenny. That would've been brilliant, he has to try and get over the death of his wife and son while also looking out for Clementine like Lee would've wanted.

Still, even if we're not playing as him, I hope Kenny's alive. Lee was best mates with him on my playthrough, sided with him on almost everything. In fact there are only two instances I can think of when I went against him: on the farm at the start (when he grabbed his kid and ran while I tried to save the other guy), and on the train (I chose to fight him).

Not 100% sure if playing as Clementine is a good idea. I think the playable character should've been Kenny. That would've been brilliant, he has to try and get over the death of his wife and son while also looking out for Clementine like Lee would've wanted.

Still, even if we're not playing as him, I hope Kenny's alive. Lee was best mates with him on my playthrough, sided with him on almost everything. In fact there are only two instances I can think of when I went against him: on the farm at the start (when he grabbed his kid and ran while I tried to save the other guy), and on the train (I chose to fight him).

Well, one of Telltale's little tidbits of information from somewhen (E3 or Comicon, I think) said that "Kenny's fate will be explored", making me think he's still alive. I also found out (through the Walking Dead wiki) that a deleted scene from Episode 5 was Lilly showing up in the RV after stealing it (if she steals it), so maybe that can be adapted for the sequel. Omid's in it, at least. I thought he was a good character.

There are lots of times that you can be against Kenny. Personally, I was with him pretty much throughout the game, because he was one of the only characters I liked at the beginning (aside from Lee and Clem). I didn't like Larry (one of my personal moments of joy was braining him with the salt lick), Lilly was crap until Episode 2, Glenn left to go be with Rick and the Atlanta group, I really only kept Carly because she had a gun (then I started to like her).
    Yeah I was with Kenny for pretty much the whole game too, definitely my favourite character in the game outside of Lee and Clem. I'm hoping his fate being explored means he'll be alive rather than him just having a cameo as a zombie.

I was disappointed when Glen left because he's one of my favourite characters in the TV series.

Larry was a twat. Didn't even hesitate when the option came up to kill him (and not just because I hated him, just couldn't risk him becoming a zombie).

I liked Carly from the start. Didn't think twice when I had to choose between her and Doug.

I hated Lily at first but I did start to feel bad for her after Larry died. She had to sit there while me and Kenny bashed his head in, imagine that, it'd be horrible. However, she killed Carly, so f**k her. I left her and drove off, she didn't get a chance to steal the RV from me.

@Agent007391 What did you think of Ben? He seems to have divided people.
    Lee and I have the exact same feeling when it comes to Ben: "Shut the f*ck up, Ben!"

Zombie Kenny... If he died in whatever situation was the canon death (I believe it's the one where he goes down with Lee to try and save Ben, but then closes the gate), I doubt the zombies left enough of him to get up and start walking. The recently released screenshot showed Clem and Omid walking around the parking lot of the truck stop from the "400 Days" DLC. I wonder if they'll find anything related to the "400 Days" cast.
    I don't think there is a canon death, I think that your choices carry over from the first series.

On mine the last I saw of Kenny was him being backed into a corner by zombies after going to save Christa from inside a building. Right after I told him to look after Clementine once Lee died. That was depressing.

I'm interested to see how 400 Days ties into series 2. I'm assuming the place that some of them went to at the end was Woodbury and that the characters we meet will act differently depending on what you did as them in 400 Days (EG- Bonny might be more honest with you if you told Leeland the truth, Vince would trust you much quicker if you saved Danny rather than Justin, etc).
    edited December 2013 Posts: 7,854
    I don't think there is a canon death, I think that your choices carry over from the first series.

I'm just going by what the Walking Dead Wiki uses as "canon", because they assume that Ben comes with you to the Marsh House to save Clem.
    On mine the last I saw of Kenny was him being backed into a corner by zombies after going to save Christa from inside a building. Right after I told him to look after Clementine once Lee died. That was depressing.

That was my first playthrough (well, I told Christa and Omid to take care of Clem), as well. My second playthrough, I purposefully saved Ben from dying at Woodbu-Crawford. I do that sometimes.
    I'm interested to see how 400 Days ties into series 2. I'm assuming the place that some of them went to at the end was Woodbury and that the characters we meet will act differently depending on what you did as them in 400 Days (EG- Bonny might be more honest with you if you told Leeland the truth, Vince would trust you much quicker if you saved Danny rather than Justin, etc).

I've been assuming that What's-her-name's camp was Woodbury from the second I saw her. Don't know why, I just saw somebody who had a camp and I thought: "Woodbury!" My first playthrough, I'm pretty sure everybody but Russel went with her, and then my second time through I did what I needed to to make everybody come with her, so that I have two distinct playthroughs set up for Season 2.

EDIT: Thank God I still sometimes check out RelyOnHorror, because I just found this:

clem.jpg

That guy in the hat look familiar to anyone but me?
    Ok at this point I'd be more surprised if he wasn't alive. That really does look like him and I'm very happy that he's (probably) alive.

I only did one playthrough of the main game and 400 Days. I think it's better that way because it means I have to make choices and live with them. Means that the choices have a much bigger impact.

I didn't really like Ben at first, I knew he was only trying to help and he seemed nice but he caused more trouble than he was worth. Saying that though, I felt very guilty when left him to die.
    I hope, if that really is Kenny (I'm 90% certain it is), there's a damn good explanation as to how he lived.

I did multiple playthroughs because I loved the game's story, and I wanted to see how different choices affect different things.
    So, another year, another Assassin's Creed game. Really enjoying IV (my favourite game ever, absolutely fantastic) and now I'm wondering what the next one will be?

AC V or an Edward (or perhaps even Connor) sequel?

I could see them bringing Connor back and setting it in the French Revolution, which would be cool. They could set it in London with Edward or Haytham but that doesn't seem likely, if they want England then I think it'll be Tudor or Victorian rather than the 1700s.

I think they'll probably do another numbered installment with another new time period but I'm sure the obvious settings such as WW2 or Feudal Japan won't happen.

I'm hoping for Victorian England (the cities can be Manchester, Liverpool and London), or the Russian Revolution. China would be nice too. I'd prefer it if there wasn't any sailing this time though. It was very fun but I'd like something new rather than a retread of AC IV.

Maybe do more pirate games as sort of a spin off series without the Assassin label? You could create a character like Skyrim and name/customise your ship.

Anyway, they kept going on about the Kenway saga so I think the new one will either have another Kenway (Edwards dad? Connor's son? Maybe Haytham's nephew/niece as we saw in AC IV that he had a sister?), or all three of them, switching between time periods (a bit like GTA V, except cooler because you have three distinct open worlds).
    This is just some basic gaming news: developer Terminal Reality has apparently been shut down.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-11871-The-Walking-Dead--Survival-Instinct-and-Ghostbusters-Dev-Terminal-Reality-Reportedly-Shuttered.html

Good work, Activision. When all you've got left to rely on is COD, I'm betting you'll see that you f*cked up royal.
    I was just reading about it. Shame, I really enjoyed the 'Ghostbusters' videogame, thought the level destruction and the ghost chasing was some great fun. Now, 'The Walking Dead: SI'? One of the worst games I've ever played. That's how Activision seems to be, though. I hope CoD fails miserably for them in the near future and it's all downhill for them all. It's a shame that that's all they can rely on now.
    I really want to read sometime early next year the head line

Ubisoft is given License to Thrill
    the team behind Splinter Cell is also working on a New James Bond Game

how cool would that be
    'Assassin's Creed IV' DLC that previously had a rumored release date is now made official:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-16896-Assassin-s-Creed-IV--Black-Flag-s-Freedom-Cry-DLC-Release-Date-Made-Official.html
    Risico007 wrote:
    I really want to read sometime early next year the head line

Ubisoft is given License to Thrill
    the team behind Splinter Cell is also working on a New James Bond Game

how cool would that be

I'd rather it be Konami. FOX Engine = Awesome gameplay & great visuals