I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• barryt007 wrote: »
    Blimey was i the only Bond Nerd that got it from the start....?

You must understand a fair portion of the audience is still recovering from motion sickness at that point in the film. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Blimey was i the only Bond Nerd that got it from the start....?

I don't think it's a case of being a nerd, I just wasn't focusing on that aspect of it.
    No, I was also a nerd.

Dr Nerd,actually.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The other neat thing about that 'Dominic Greene' moment is that he was playing the hunch all the way up to when he got Tanner to check into it. Tanner sent back a photo of the chap with the highest match to Bond's phone and it's only at that moment that he knew his deductive reasoning had paid off.

"That's him" he calmly says.

Of course there's also that splendid bit of reasoning by M that he should be a person of 'extreme interest' due to the CIA call being routed by the receptionist directly to the South American section chief.

All very nicely done.
  • Yes, one wonders why the CIA doesn't have a better system in place to prevent the leaking of inferred information like that, but perhaps one of the film's points was to illustrate the incompetency of the CIA. A bit of: "Unlike the Americans we prefer not to get our bad news from CNN."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No, I was also a nerd.

Same here.
    Watching SP. I just noticed that Bond knew to hold his hand up to the bodyguard outside the Spectre meeting because he saw Sciarra do the same thing in Mexico through the window. What I don't understand is how the bodyguard knew he was an imposter.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Watching SP. I just noticed that Bond knew to hold his hand up to the bodyguard outside the Spectre meeting because he saw Sciarra do the same thing in Mexico through the window. What I don't understand is how the bodyguard knew he was an imposter.

I've always assumed the guard either a) knew the faces of everyone in SPECTRE and recognized Bond as an outsider; or b) had been shown Bond's photograph by Blofeld, who evidently knew in advance that Bond was coming.

I've also learned not to strain myself too much when it comes to explicating things that don't make sense in SP.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    bondjames wrote: »

Because the Spectre meeting was of high importance, and Bond gave himself away due to looking bored out of his mind (like in the entire film). ;)
    I've also learned not to strain myself too much when it comes to explicating things that don't make sense in SP.
    Because the Spectre meeting was of high importance, and Bond gave himself away due to looking bored out of his mind (like in the entire film). ;)
    Good one chaps. I'm trying not to doze off during the car chase at the moment. Shall report back in the Bond film thread after it's over.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 676
    I'm trying not to doze off during the car chase at the moment.
    A bit shocking when you compare the QoS chase to this one. The sense of danger was lost in Craig's last film.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Good one chaps. I'm trying not to doze off during the car chase at the moment. Shall report back in the Bond film thread after it's over.

Try making yourself something from the fridge. Should give you a kick of energy. ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Good film that!

When Bond walks on you can see the guard talk into his mic. I always assumed he just didn't trust Bond to be the right person and asked to check him. Just before Blofeld enters the room he's been told there might be an intruder. It is Blofeld who makes the connection (apparently expecting Sciarra, getting a different discription, having seen Bond at the funeral. We see him stand in front of bond, turning his head slightly). As he makes the connection in the meeting it is reported by guards to Mickey Mouse as well, who comes in to righten his wrong.
    Just before Blofeld enters the room he's been told there might be an intruder.
    I never picked up on that, even on my most recent viewing. Good catch!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    There's also a sense that Blofeld fully knows Bond is there as he almost detects him and turns his head. He commented on Bond's work being plastered all over the Mexico City incident, and knew he could be coming to Rome to see Sciarra's services out.
    Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but when viewing SP yesterday I noticed that the filters give each scene the feel of a canvas painting. There is a deliberately stylized effect to the whole thing. It doesn't appear 'real', but rather, almost apparitional or imaginary. Spectral even?

This became apparent to me during the mansion assassination scene at Lucia Sciarra's place, which is artistic by design. I then realized that this in fact permeates the whole film.

I also noticed it because the very final scene (Bond and Madeline driving away in the Aston) is one of the only scenes in the entire film (if not the only one) that is not filtered (at least not to the same extent). Consequently there is a fresh and crisp nature to that final shot which is missing from the rest of the film. As I mentioned in my review, it's like a 'new beginning'.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but when viewing SP yesterday I noticed that the filters give each scene the feel of a canvas painting. There is a deliberately stylized effect to the whole thing. It doesn't appear 'real', but rather, almost apparitional or imaginary. Spectral even?

This became apparent to me during the mansion assassination scene at Lucia Sciarra's place, which is artistic by design. I then realized that this in fact permeates the whole film.

I also noticed it because the very final scene (Bond and Madeline driving away in the Aston) is one of the only scenes in the entire film (if not the only one) that is not filtered (at least not to the same extent). Consequently there is a fresh and crisp nature to that final shot which is missing from the rest of the film. As I mentioned in my review, it's like a 'new beginning'.
    Agreed. Skyfall looks so real while Spectre has an artificial glow over it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I've never noticed before...

...that a lot of people discredit a certain scene in Skyfall, which confuses me. I've read a load of reviews saying that Bond was stupid for taking M to Skyfall, due to the fact that all the weapons were gone... I think a lot of us can agree that 007 didn't know this
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    I've never noticed before...

...that a lot of people discredit a certain scene in Skyfall, which confuses me. I've read a load of reviews saying that Bond was stupid for taking M to Skyfall, due to the fact that all the weapons were gone... I think a lot of us can agree that 007 didn't know this

I'm not saying that critique is valid or invalid or whatnot, but the other side of the coin is that a man in Bond's position surely should not wager on the firearms he may have remembered from his youth still being there after three decades.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Regardless, OO7's decision was proven correct in the film. It led to the end of Silva's mischief.

And Bond SHOULD have a hard time of it story-wise. It's not all dominos lined up for a one-liner.
    I think the main issue there is that, with M in lame duck status as MI6 head, she really had no legs to stand on or any backup to call in. It was just her and Bond left, and they had to work with what they had.
  • peterpeter Toronto
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    We know John Glen liked his animal jump scares, but I just found out that he also had a penchant for scenes by a pool or Jacuzzi. Each of his 5 films feature at least one scene with people bathing.
    We know John Glen liked his animal jump scares, but I just found out that he also had a penchant for scenes by a pool or Jacuzzi. Each of his 5 films feature at least one scene with people bathing.
    Good catch. Hamilton liked pools as well. They are in each of his four also (if you count the pool where the boat ends up in LALD).
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    josiah wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned. I was watching "The Living Daylights" today and in the scene in Austria right after Bond's car self destructs he turns to Kara and says "Glad I insisted you brought that cello" but he didn't. Bond was pretty visibly annoyed when Kara insisted she go back for the cello. This kind of comes across as an insignificant little throw away line but it's very revealing. I guess it's easier for Bond to pretend bringing the cello was his idea all along than to give credit where it's due.

I never noticed that. Hard to see how they missed such a blunder when he clearly hated the idea to begin with.

He's being sardonic.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I can't believe that line is generating any debate. It's very obviously a joke - he's making fun of his own unwillingness to bringing the instrument, given that it's now helping them out.

IT'S A JOKE!!
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Jacuzzis were big in the '80s.
    I noticed that the Vesper interrogation tape in SP was VHS?! Surely an organization like Spectre should have been invested in something more advanced than lowly tape backup by the mid 00's? CD at the very least!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Data security. MI6 got rid of their VHS equipment in 2005.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Pierce says 'Modest little collection of cars.' in DAD when talking to Moon. Up until just now I always thought he said 'Mother's little collection of cars.'