I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    @bondjames , i always found the VHS very strange. It'd be interesting to hear, one day, why they put that in there? Even in CR, Bond is filing through CDs to find the parking lot footage...

That really did stand out from the first viewing on (mainly since I haven't seen a VHS tape in about fifteen years!)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    bondjames wrote: »
    I noticed that the Vesper interrogation tape in SP was VHS?! Surely an organization like Spectre should have been invested in something more advanced than lowly tape backup by the mid 00's? CD at the very least!

Knowing Sony's love of product placement I was surprised I wasn't a Blu Ray disc (a la the awful product placement in CR).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    peter wrote: »
    @bondjames , i always found the VHS very strange. It'd be interesting to hear, one day, why they put that in there? Even in CR, Bond is filing through CDs to find the parking lot footage...

That really did stand out from the first viewing on (mainly since I haven't seen a VHS tape in about fifteen years!)
    Same @peter. It was quite clearly a conscious choice because I'm sure they would have known that it would stand out (particularly to the younger crowd who may not even have seen one of these!).

I'm not sure when VHS camcorders were phased out in favour of memory card versions? Perhaps it was in the early 00's, in which case what they did makes sense.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,325

It was actually Blu Rays he was filing thru to find the parking lot footage ... another example of Sony product placement in CR. Maybe the use of VHS was to suggest that they had been using Vesper for a long time?
    I just realized that Bond hasn't had a one-on-one office briefing with M since TMWTGG.

All of Moore's later entries had other parties in the room. Dalton had one which included Frederick Gray in TLD, but not in LTK since he went rogue.

Brosnan and Craig have never had a traditional office briefing (Brosnan was famously told off by M in GE, and Craig hid his objectives from M in SP).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames I noted in this thread last year that Bond hasn't been in the famous Vauxhall MI6 building that was introduced in GE many times. In the 8 films since introduction, he was in it in GE, in the PTS of TWINE, in the VR sequence in DAD, and in SP when Blofeld blows the whole damn place up.
    Interesting catch @DaltonCraig007. It does appear that they've tried to limit the in-office one-on-one briefings for some time (making them more of an 'in field' or otherwise a 'group' affair), and I'm only getting round to realizing that now.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    tanaka123 wrote: »

It was actually Blu Rays he was filing thru to find the parking lot footage ... another example of Sony product placement in CR. Maybe the use of VHS was to suggest that they had been using Vesper for a long time?

That, and they are in North Africa.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited May 2017 Posts: 7,314
    I just realized that Bond hasn't had a one-on-one office briefing with M since TMWTGG.

All of Moore's later entries had other parties in the room. Dalton had one which included Frederick Gray in TLD, but not in LTK since he went rogue.

Brosnan and Craig have never had a traditional office briefing (Brosnan was famously told off by M in GE, and Craig hid his objectives from M in SP).

Didn't Dalton have a one on one with M in TLD or am I remembering incorrectly? When he gave him the order to terminate Pushkin I thought.

Edit - Or was Gray in there at the beginning? Is that what you were referring to?

That, and they are in North Africa.

I'm sure they have DVDs in North Africa.
    pachazo wrote: »

Didn't Dalton have a one on one with M in TLD or am I remembering incorrectly? When he gave him the order to terminate Pushkin I thought.

Edit - Or was Gray in there at the beginning? Is that what you were referring to?
    Yes, that's the one. Gray is there as well.

'I want you to find GoldenEye, find out who took it, what they plan to do with it, and stop it.' Clear directive from M to Bond in M's office in GE.

'I want you to find GoldenEye, find out who took it, what they plan to do with it, and stop it.' Clear directive from M to Bond in M's office in GE.
    Indeed. If you want to look at it that way. The GE one can go either way. It didn't seem traditional to me, with the female M and the chewing out. They were obviously trying to mix things up.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I just noticed that when Bond uses the knife to cut his shoelaces it still has the opium on it from when he tasted it earlier on. A neat touch.

Indeed. If you want to look at it that way. The GE one can go either way. It didn't seem traditional to me, with the female M and the chewing out. They were obviously trying to mix things up.

The GE scene feels similar to the GF and TLD ones where M tears a strip off Bond 'You were supposed to observe Mr Goldfinger, not borrow his girlfriend'

'You jeopadised a mission in order to avoid shooting a beautiful girl.'

The GE scene feels similar to the GF and TLD ones where M tears a strip off Bond 'You were supposed to observe Mr Goldfinger, not borrow his girlfriend'

'You jeopadised a mission in order to avoid shooting a beautiful girl.'
    It can go either way. There was something very different about it when I first saw it, and perhaps that was because of M being a woman taking shots at Bond's character but yes - it's technically a one-on-one office briefing. Perhaps the last one and certainly the only one in some time prior to that.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

Yes, that's the one. Gray is there as well.

Oh yes, that's right. Thanks for the clarification.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Wow feel pretty dumb only just realised the girl in the Bahamas Bond pulls in NSNA Is Valerie Leon, who also played the attractive receptionist in TSWLM. In my defence the actress is older in NSNA and looks quite different... I'll get my coat.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, It's mentioned in a few reference books.
    I have seen the actress in so many films it never clicked, though I probably don't analyze NSNA as much as the Eon films.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I can't blame you for that.
    Too true ;) Dam I am going to have to watch NSNA out of curiosity.
    I didn't know that either. I almost want to watch it again now and see what else I've missed. Apparently she was hot stuff back the 70's when she did Bond. I only remember her because she looked like she wanted some action in TSWLM and she gave Bond a lingering look when delivering the message to his suite.
    I didn't know that either. I almost want to watch it again now and see what else I've missed. Apparently she was hot stuff back the 70's when she did Bond. I only remember her because she looked like she wanted some action in TSWLM and she gave Bond a lingering look when delivering the message to his suite.

Valerie Leon was stunning in her twenties appeared in alot of Hammer Horror type films, think Valerie appeared in a Carry on film? Valerie was quite memorable in Revenge of the Pink Panther...

Valerie Leon was stunning in her twenties appeared in alot of Hammer Horror type films, think Valerie appeared in a Carry on film? Valerie was quite memorable in Revenge of the Pink Panther...

Thanks for this. I certainly agree based on that clip. I remembered her because she had a bit of a naughty look to her. A sort of come 'you know what' me presence. Always welcome.
    No problem mate, yes in the films Valerie appeared in she played similar roles as you can imagine.
    Even her name has a sort of adult star flavour to it.

Heck now I remember her from NSNA. She was the one in bed with Bond when Fatima blew the wrong room. She definitely looked different in this film.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    That's her I looked at some stills she appeared to age alot in six years or they have too much fake tan or make up on her. Valerie appears to be wearing a wig in NSNA, I am shocked I never noticed her before.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,690
    I only remember her because she looked like she wanted some action in TSWLM and she gave Bond a lingering look when delivering the message to his suite.

@bondjames I'd hate to correct you, but in this case the proper term is she wanted some Rogering. ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,087
    delete.