I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It was a joke.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    josiah wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned. I was watching "The Living Daylights" today and in the scene in Austria right after Bond's car self destructs he turns to Kara and says "Glad I insisted you brought that cello" but he didn't. Bond was pretty visibly annoyed when Kara insisted she go back for the cello. This kind of comes across as an insignificant little throw away line but it's very revealing. I guess it's easier for Bond to pretend bringing the cello was his idea all along than to give credit where it's due.

I never noticed that. Hard to see how they missed such a blunder when he clearly hated the idea to begin with.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned. I was watching "The Living Daylights" today and in the scene in Austria right after Bond's car self destructs he turns to Kara and says "Glad I insisted you brought that cello" but he didn't. Bond was pretty visibly annoyed when Kara insisted she go back for the cello. This kind of comes across as an insignificant little throw away line but it's very revealing. I guess it's easier for Bond to pretend bringing the cello was his idea all along than to give credit where it's due.

I think it's pretty obviously a joke.

It's something a typical Brit would say..he knows he didnt insist on the Cello,and she knows it..he says it to get a reaction,to lighten the mood the best he can.

It's our humour..i've said similar on several occassions and got an open mouth and then a playful slap and a laugh from a lady..its all good.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

That was a wry joke on Bonds part.

Perhaps it didn't translate as that to fans outside the UK...?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sure, we got it the first time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Do you chaps always admit when you messed up to a girl? I certainly don't. Perfectly understandable alpha humour, & expected from Bond. Try to brush it off & take credit for it.
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

I think it's pretty obviously a joke.

If Kara reacted to it I'd be inclined to agree.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Do you chaps always admit when you messed up to a girl? I certainly don't. Perfectly understandable alpha humour, & expected from Bond. Try to brush it off & take credit for it.

You play it...laugh at it with a shrug and a quick quip....works for me ..or did ...i'm a one woman man now.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 1,386

That was a wry joke on Bonds part.

Perhaps it didn't translate as that to fans outside the UK...?

Well, joke or not, I guess I just noticed.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    TV Tropes has a name for this kind of gag: Hypocritical Humor.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    TV Tropes has a name for this kind of gag: Hypocritical Humor.

Nope..it's another part of our British humour....
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    barryt007 wrote: »

It's something a typical Brit would say..he knows he didnt insist on the Cello,and she knows it..he says it to get a reaction,to lighten the mood the best he can.

It's our humour..i've said similar on several occassions and got an open mouth and then a playful slap and a laugh from a lady..its all good.

I'm an American and I got it. I tend to have a similar sense of humor... but maybe that's because I watch a lot of Bond and Monty Python and the Holy Grail. =)

I'm an American and I got it. I tend to have a similar sense of humor... but maybe that's because I watch a lot of Bond and Monty Python and the Holy Grail. =)

That would certainly help..

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Ironically, Natalya does the same thing to Bond in the train in GE, when she can't figure out Boris's riddle and he tells her the answer.

"Like I said"
    Or when heavily armed men have trouble getting through customs ........
    " I can't imagine why ! "

@barryt007 And what you just described makes me laugh (but it's not what I see in the movie). In the movie we cut away from the exploding car for a matter of seconds, Bond delivers that line and we see Kara with the same wide-eyed open mouthed expression on her face that she's had for most the car ride. Without a reaction, what am I being asked to laugh at? Bond being an ass?
    Perhaps you simply don't have a sense of humour ?, If some very obvious jokes have to
    Be explained ? .... Might be best to move on and forget about it.

@barryt007 And what you just described makes me laugh (but it's not what I see in the movie). In the movie we cut away from the exploding car for a matter of seconds, Bond delivers that line and we see Kara with the same wide-eyed open mouthed expression on her face that she's had for most the car ride. Without a reaction, what am I being asked to laugh at? Bond being an ass?
    Kara was useless. "wide-eyed open mouthed expression on her face" indeed. That may be why you missed the joke, and I can understand.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,685
    I really wonder what you are discussing about. Bond had objected to her taking her cello along initially. After it proved helpful, he's just pre-empting any criticism by claiming he did indeed get it himself or insist that she take it along. Jokingly, but also trying to save his male-superiority ass. End of story. Whatever one thinks of his motives.

And I think it would have been up to John Glen to make Kara react differently to Bond's remark, not Maryam D'Abo.
    Perhaps you simply don't have a sense of humour ?, If some very obvious jokes have to
    Be explained ? .... Might be best to move on and forget about it.

@Thunderpussy Or perhaps I just have a different sense of humor than you do that isn't inferior or superior but simply different.
    I'll have to watch that scene again. It's been a while. Perhaps the delivery and reaction were off, making it more difficult for someone whose native language is not English to pick up on.
    @bondjames I appreciate the effort. English *is* my first language. I just see the situation differently. I understand what barryt007 is saying completely. Bond is being insincere to get a rise out of Kara and I get that. I just don't see the big rise from Kara I guess. The best way I can think of to describe it is if you played a big prank on someone and they didn't seem to react to it at all. Onlookers would feel like your joke fell flat. On paper I agree that it's funny. I just think it could have been handled better.
    I can understand what you're saying @josiah, and I hadn't paid attention to Kara's reaction. I would have hoped that she would have at least given him a look or reacted with some shock, but if that didn't happen then it's definitely both her's and the director's fault for not getting it right. Little things like this can make a difference.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Isn't it strange that all of Bond's BMW's as well as his Aston Martin from CR and QOS are left hand-drive? I would assume the British Secret Service would hand out right hand-driven cars to their British agents.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The scene in question isn't played out very well. At best it shows Bond as a male chauvinist.
    It's never bothered me, but the non reaction from Kara makes it miss the joke somewhat.
    And yet many of us with a "Different" sense of humour got it first time, no problem.
    Perhaps if Bond had kept his clown suit on and had pushed a custard pie in her face
    The Joke wouldn't have been missed ?
    @Thunderpussy Have I done something to offend you?
    Not in the least, and I'm sorry if I'm coming across that way, I will desist from further comments, I
    Simply find it stunning that , that line could be seen as anything other than a joke. Probably
    More my problem than anyone's​.