I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    She also sadly committed suicide in the most horrific way.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Birdleson wrote: »
    She swallowed broken glass while shoving chopsticks in her eyes?

No she swallowed acid drain cleaner and poured it on her body too. She'd attempted suicide before that by slashing her wrists as well.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Angela Scoular is, therefore, the only Bond girl (main and secondary) to be no longer with us, if you don't count Zena Marshall for Dr. No (I would say Sylvia Trench is the secondary).
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    She swallowed broken glass while shoving chopsticks in her eyes?

So the thread on which Bond actor would die first was in bad taste, you say, but on being told that someone committed suicide horrifically it's OK to joke about how they might have done it?

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I don't know what's okay or not, but that was the most horrific thing that I could think of at the time. I'm no bastion of good taste, but I'd personally rather not dwell on which Bond will die first. Dissecting Ruby's suicide? No problem.

It was Angela's suicide not Ruby's. Even I found the comment of questionable taste compared to guessing which out of some men in their 80s will die first.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,690
    I've realized, while watching the film today, that the PTS of TWINE is the only time post-GE that Bond has actually set foot in the 'traditional' MI6 building (if we don't count the 2 Virtual Realities sequence of DAD and the climax in London in SP where the building was in total ruins).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I've realized, while watching the film today, that the PTS of TWINE is the only time post-GE that Bond has actually set foot in the 'traditional' MI6 building (if we don't count the 2 Virtual Realities sequence of DAD and the climax in London in SP where the building was in total ruins).

Where were the MI6 facilities located in the '60s and '70s? The establishing shots in the films were generally of Big Ben and Parliment.

True, but in those days it was the 'traditional' MI6 HQ, film-wise. Just like the Universal Exports were used several times in the 80's. Since the real life building also became the same as in the movies-verse (in 1995) , Bond has only been there once since GE.

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

Interesting, I imagined Mallory's office to be in the mi6 building, but it makes sense now that you mention it. So where is mallorys office, the nine eyes building? But that wouldn't have existed during skyfall...?

w2bond wrote: »

Interesting, I imagined Mallory's office to be in the mi6 building, but it makes sense now that you mention it. So where is mallorys office, the nine eyes building? But that wouldn't have existed during skyfall...?

But given in SP they say the old MI6 building is in ruins, surely his office in both the final scene of SF and in SP would be in some kind of temporary building, as Tanner noted to Bond that the old building was planned to be demolished and rebuilt. So I imagine the final scene in SF could count as another visit, but the SP retcon goes against that.
    Something occurred to me during the lead up to Spectre I saw a few posts that said "this is the first time a previous bond film title worked its way into the follow up film" and that isn't true at all in fact it has happened three times sort of

The World is Not Enough is mentioned in On Her Majesties Secret Service
    Dr. No is mentioned in From Russia with Love
    Licence to Kill is mentioned in Goldeneye

So Spectre is not as unique as many think lol
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    w2bond wrote: »

But given in SP they say the old MI6 building is in ruins, surely his office in both the final scene of SF and in SP would be in some kind of temporary building, as Tanner noted to Bond that the old building was planned to be demolished and rebuilt. So I imagine the final scene in SF could count as another visit, but the SP retcon goes against that.
    I always assumed the building we see in SF and SP was MI6's permanent relocation to Whitehall? I believe the HM Treasury building will be used as the exterior of MI6 from here on out.
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    Something occurred to me during the lead up to Spectre I saw a few posts that said "this is the first time a previous bond film title worked its way into the follow up film" and that isn't true at all in fact it has happened three times sort of

The World is Not Enough is mentioned in On Her Majesties Secret Service
    Dr. No is mentioned in From Russia with Love
    Licence to Kill is mentioned in Goldeneye

So Spectre is not as unique as many think lol

LTK and SP are both very non-specific titles. Which is why I do not like them.
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    When I played Goldeneye 007 (N64) a while ago, I was randomly walking around on Archives and I suddenly heard a guard sneeze!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Reading Cr again, I noticed for the first time Vesper's reactions to Bond before the game are often rather reserved. She likes to challange Bond and let him get interested in her, but it's only because she's been told to be careful with him by her chief. She's only mildly interested and shrugs at his dedication, before beeing drawn in. But I never made the connection to her later betrayal. With that in mindit becomes far more clear.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Elvis in QoS has always been one of the more unique standout characters in the series for me, in that he's utterly worthless yet constantly noticeable throughout the film. I felt like watching QoS so I could finally jot down all the instances he appears, because it seems like in almost every scene he's in, he is undermined, beaten down verbally, ignored, or treated like dirt. I find it pretty interesting, as he's less of a henchman and more of a verbal/emotional punching bag. Hopefully I don't miss any, and of course, some of these might be seen as a bit of a stretch to fit what I'm looking for, but here's what I thought was worthy of a mention:

- Our first introduction to him as he talks to his mom on the phone (nothing more threatening than a henchman calling his mommy), and he's immediately slapped down and disregarded by Camille as he tries to stop her, who should be dead. Quickly loses his authority over her, and allows her to walk right past him and into Greene's office.

- Dominic tells Elvis that he's busy and to not let anyone in, but of course, he can't comply, as he couldn't stop Camille, who now questions Greene.

- After Bond hands over the Universal Exports card and Elvis calls, he gets on the guard's case (one of the only times we see him attempt any sort of authority) to pay more attention next time. Alas, though, Elvis messes up once again, because calling Bond is what allows him to track Greene to Austria, which is just the start of Bond tearing down his entire plan. Good work, Elvis!

- From what we can see: once Greene and Elvis arrive on the plane with Beam and Leiter, Elvis is ignored entirely: neither a greeting, nor a handshake.

- While stirring his drink, he asks "How much longer?" to Leiter, who stares directly at him and offers no reply of any kind.

- Elvis pulls up Bond's picture to show the rest of the men, and the whole time, he is disregarded, his phone is handled in a non-careful manner, and it all wraps up when Beam throws it back at him without even looking his way.

- Elvis smiles at the bodyguard in the room, just to receive a cold gaze in return as he looks away feeling foolish.

- Once they've been compromised and exit the room, Elvis is led along like a child by Greene, seemingly being the only one truly worried/nervous.

- Once Camille arrives at Eco Park to piss on Greene's parade, Elvis is left to casually remedy the situation with the two men donating to Greene.

- Bond finally approaches Greene in a threatening manner, and yet Elvis stays in the background, offering no assistance until he is summoned.

- Of course, the infamous stair fall: again, one of the only moments that Elvis gets the chance to prove himself, and he's tripped up by non-agent Fields, falls all the way down the stairs, and to top it all off, his wig falls off. Greene doesn't even look mad, he just looks disgusted at how useless his cousin is.

- Arriving at Perla de las Dunas, he looks extra threatening in that thick neck brace of his...

- His final deed: being pursued by Bond, Greene shows how little he cares by leaving him to fight Bond while he flees.

- And of course, we know how that turns out: one of the fuel cells goes off right near Elvis, incinerating him. If you watch closely, you can even see his clothes flying off his body as the explosion goes off.

Poor bastard.
    Funny, it seems that Elvis exists only to make others look better. I sometimes wonder if we are not supposed to empathize with him. And I wonder what would ordinary folks like us do as henchmen. Maybe we should not be too judgemental. That said, as an amateur, Professor Dent is far better.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Elvis in QoS has always been one of the more unique standout characters in the series for me, in that he's utterly worthless yet constantly noticeable throughout the film. I felt like watching QoS so I could finally jot down all the instances he appears, because it seems like in almost every scene he's in, he is undermined, beaten down verbally, ignored, or treated like dirt. I find it pretty interesting, as he's less of a henchman and more of a verbal/emotional punching bag. Hopefully I don't miss any, and of course, some of these might be seen as a bit of a stretch to fit what I'm looking for, but here's what I thought was worthy of a mention:

- Our first introduction to him as he talks to his mom on the phone (nothing more threatening than a henchman calling his mommy), and he's immediately slapped down and disregarded by Camille as he tries to stop her, who should be dead. Quickly loses his authority over her, and allows her to walk right past him and into Greene's office.

- Dominic tells Elvis that he's busy and to not let anyone in, but of course, he can't comply, as he couldn't stop Camille, who now questions Greene.

- After Bond hands over the Universal Exports card and Elvis calls, he gets on the guard's case (one of the only times we see him attempt any sort of authority) to pay more attention next time. Alas, though, Elvis messes up once again, because calling Bond is what allows him to track Greene to Austria, which is just the start of Bond tearing down his entire plan. Good work, Elvis!

- From what we can see: once Greene and Elvis arrive on the plane with Beam and Leiter, Elvis is ignored entirely: neither a greeting, nor a handshake.

- While stirring his drink, he asks "How much longer?" to Leiter, who stares directly at him and offers no reply of any kind.

- Elvis pulls up Bond's picture to show the rest of the men, and the whole time, he is disregarded, his phone is handled in a non-careful manner, and it all wraps up when Beam throws it back at him without even looking his way.

- Elvis smiles at the bodyguard in the room, just to receive a cold gaze in return as he looks away feeling foolish.

- Once they've been compromised and exit the room, Elvis is led along like a child by Greene, seemingly being the only one truly worried/nervous.

- Once Camille arrives at Eco Park to piss on Greene's parade, Elvis is left to casually remedy the situation with the two men donating to Greene.

- Bond finally approaches Greene in a threatening manner, and yet Elvis stays in the background, offering no assistance until he is summoned.

- Of course, the infamous stair fall: again, one of the only moments that Elvis gets the chance to prove himself, and he's tripped up by non-agent Fields, falls all the way down the stairs, and to top it all off, his wig falls off. Greene doesn't even look mad, he just looks disgusted at how useless his cousin is.

- Arriving at Perla de las Dunas, he looks extra threatening in that thick neck brace of his...

- His final deed: being pursued by Bond, Greene shows how little he cares by leaving him to fight Bond while he flees.

- And of course, we know how that turns out: one of the fuel cells goes off right near Elvis, incinerating him. If you watch closely, you can even see his clothes flying off his body as the explosion goes off.

Poor bastard.

Really enjoyed that. Nice to take a break from all the terrorism threads and have a good old belly laugh at hapless clown Elvis.

Yes Jinx is an atrocity of a character but at least she is vaguely competent at her job. Is Elvis the most downright inept, bumbling buffoon of the series?

Goodnight is clueless but at least she has the intelligence to follow the solex and it is she who leads Bond to the island. If that was Elvis he would manage to drop the solex, the tracker and himself out of the boot somewhere over the sea.

Poor bastard.

So, Elvis is useless at everything a henchmen should be doing, but the only time where he actually helps another character is calling Bond's number, which basically kickstarts Bond's tailing of Greene. Thus, could Elvis be classified an ally? Since he fails at everything apart from being a major breakthrough for Bond's investigation. Also, in your post, it seems Elvis is treated like shit by all his coworkers, yet Bond never threatens him personally. More proof that Elvis is an ally.

As far as I'm concerned Elvis is a failed villain.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Thanks, everyone. Enjoy the concert, @Birdleson. Bet it's great.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    one of the fuel cells goes off right near Elvis, incinerating him. If you watch closely, you can even see his clothes flying off his body as the explosion goes off.
    A nice homage to Tiffany's "Blow up your pants."
    :))
    Ludovico wrote: »

Yes, but the only person he actually helps in the film is Bond. The one thing he does right, even if to the detriment of someone else, is kickstarting Bond's investigation on Greene. Plus, he never actually threatens Bond or Camille at any time, nor do Bond and Camille threaten him at any point of the film, while all his coworkers treat him like dirt.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Elvis even came last in the henchman elimination game.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Wasn't he more a PA than a henchman ?
    PA elimination game coming up.

Yes, but the only person he actually helps in the film is Bond. The one thing he does right, even if to the detriment of someone else, is kickstarting Bond's investigation on Greene. Plus, he never actually threatens Bond or Camille at any time, nor do Bond and Camille threaten him at any point of the film, while all his coworkers treat him like dirt.

That is why I say he's a failed villain.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Elvis was useless. As useless as Gabor, Bullion & Davidov.

That is why I say he's a failed villain.

Which makes him an (unwilling) ally. ;)
    bondjames wrote: »

Yet no one remembers or talks about those others.
    bondjames wrote: »

As a villain yes but as a character I'm not sure. Like the others you mentioned he seems to be there for his look first.

Still, no amateur villain to this date beats Professor Dent.