I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Gettler wrote: »
    I still wonder what went down in that room before Patrice stole the drive. I imagine someone sold somebody out, or maybe Ronson was undercover.
    Indeed, and why was Bond in the neighbourhood? So it must have been a full operation. And if so, why use the real material? Or were they handing it over to an 'ally' who (got) betreyed (them)? But it was a list which 'in the eyes of our allies doesn't exist'. A lot of questions there.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I imagine it as a "Reservoir Dogs" shoot out, with righteous indignation ! :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2016 Posts: 40,474
    You'll find glaring inconsistencies and things that make absolutely no sense pretty much anywhere you look in SF. To this day, I still spot things that boggle my mind.

Bond's comment on Severine's backless dress? 100% not backless.

Bond's comment on how ever since he and Severine sat down, she can't stop looking at her bodyguards? Doesn't look at them once that entire scene. So many bits of unnecessary dialogue, lines written that have no need to be in the story whatsoever.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I'd say that SF has more inconsistencies and implausible plot developments than any other Bond film. I think it's an incredibly sloppy piece of writing.

MK for all it's far fetched silliness had a plot that made more sense.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I'd say that SF has more inconsistencies and implausible plot developments than any other Bond film. I think it's an incredibly sloppy piece of writing.

MK for all it's far fetched silliness had a plot that made more sense.

When I read comments like this it I wonder if the dislike toward SF has nothing to do with the film itself and rather something else: a dislike for Mendes, or DC, or Bardem...who knows.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    You'll find glaring inconsistencies and things that make absolutely no sense pretty much anywhere you look in SF. To this day, I still spot things that boggle my mind.

Bond's comment on Severine's backless dress? 100% not backless.

Bond's comment on how ever since he and Severine sat down, she can't stop looking at her bodyguards? Doesn't look at them once that entire scene. So many bits of unnecessary dialogue, lines written that have no need to be in the story whatsoever.

Both arguments can be defeated:

1. It is a backless dress. It just isn't an "open" backless dress. In some circles, there is a difference. Severine's back is lace, which still makes it backless. http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2012/10/25/skyfall-costume-designer-jany-temime-on-dressing-bond-girl-berenice-marlohe
    2. She did look at them. At least twice. Once, before delivering the line, "Would you mind if I ask you a business question?" A second time, when Bond grabs her wrist. Bond said she hadn't stopped looking at them ever since they sat down...we have no idea how long they'd been sitting there, since the scene begins with Bond's martini being shaken. We also don't know where she is looking when the shot is over her shoulder.
    @TripAces, re-watched the scene a few days back with the sole intent of seeing if she looks at them or not and I didn't see it occur once, so I either missed the part, or you're mistaken. If she couldn't stop staring at them, then it should've been something reflected in the scenes we saw at least a few times.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/profile/6389/TripAces

I have nothing against Mendes. Craig is my favourite Bond and I actually do like SF a lot.

What does annoy me is when the audience are presented with lazy scriptwriting that insults the intelligence.

Could it be that as the audience for movies has become younger, I think
    They aim for 13-23 yr olds these days. So put in lines which appear very
    Obvious to the rest of us. A bit clumsy, but they ( movie makers) feel
    It has to be done. ?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I would argue that they bucked that trend with CR/QoS. There was some pretty adult writing in both imho. Even in SF for that matter, but less so perhaps, compared to the earlier two films.
    Agreed, but it the past decade it has apparently gotten even younger with
    The emergence of the Tween. ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited July 2016 Posts: 7,973
    Speaking of CR. Just watching it and when Bond reads out the SIM card data of Molakka's phone, it says 'SMS sent' Ellypsis. But he receaves it! Which makes far more sense as he IS the bomber and Dimitrios (whom Bond traces down through this SMS) is the one sending him on his mission.

And another thing. Bond could've killed Mollaka way before, but even says to Carter they need him alive. So h in the end follows him into the embassy, and ends up having to kill him to get away alive and be sure Mollaka doesn't run about anymore. But when he meets M in her appartment, she goes out of her way to tell him how wrong he was and instead of telling her he tried the best he could, he says 'I thought one less bombmaker was a great idea'. Why doesn't he explain the situation? Afraid of looking like an idiot who can't outrun a bombmaker? Isn't much of a reason now is it?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @TripAces, re-watched the scene a few days back with the sole intent of seeing if she looks at them or not and I didn't see it occur once, so I either missed the part, or you're mistaken. If she couldn't stop staring at them, then it should've been something reflected in the scenes we saw at least a few times.

It's in there @Creasy47.

If you go to 1:23, you will see it:

The other glance is far more subtle (at :11, right before she tilts her head to address Bond). We see it from profile. I only notice it because her eyes appear shifted to the side, but I could be wrong.

I do agree that a couple more glances in that direction could have solidified Bond's reaction.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I really don't see any problems with the above scene in SF. It's one of the best ones in the entire film, and flows quite well. There are problems with SF, but this isn't really one of them in my view.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,690
    My only major gripe with SF is the excessive portion of the film at MI6 before Bond starts his mission in Shanghai. I have no problem with him returning to London/Scotland for the last 50 minutes or so, but I miss the old days (like in the Rog era) where Bond would only be at MI6 for a few minutes to get his mission briefing and gadgets, and then went straight on location to carry on his mission.
    I missed the glance at 1:23, you are correct. However, one glance does not equate to "can't stop looking." Doesn't even matter, it's a minor thing that doesn't really detract from the film/scene itself, but it's the building up and mass amount of these constant inconsistencies and questionable moments/lines of dialogue that hamper the film for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So Bond is exaggerating a bit. He is hardly alone in the world.
    Don't know how I missed this for years. Watching Golfinger this evening, I noticed
    in the scene where Bond slashes Tilly's car tyres. In the car he is wearing a brown
    jacket, white shirt, but the hand that opens his weapons tray, has a black jumper
    on it, obviously an insert shot from the Car chase around Goldfinger's factory. :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited July 2016 Posts: 14,882
    Not sure if it's been mentioned before, maybe I should start trying to group these by film.
    Anyway, I noticed something in DN that I've never noticed before. When Bond is at Miss Taro's waiting for Professor Dent he's wearing a jacket and tie. He removes the jacket and waits behind the door and puts a silencer on his gun. When he does this, he's not wearing a tie any longer, yet moments later the tie is back on.
    http://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Dr-No/pages/Dr-No-297.htm

http://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Dr-No/pages/Dr-No-301.htm
    Benny wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned before, maybe I should start trying to group these by film.
    Anyway, I noticed something in DN that I've never noticed before. When Bond is at Miss Taro's waiting for Professor Dent he's wearing a jacket and tie. He removes the jacket and waits behind the door and puts a silencer on his gun. When he does this, he's not wearing a tie any longer, yet moments later the tie is back on.
    http://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Dr-No/pages/Dr-No-297.htm

http://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Dr-No/pages/Dr-No-301.htm

The gun in that shot is also not a Walther PPK
    yes, it's a chinese copy. ;)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I can't believe I've never noticed Bond getting into Metz's minivan in DAF before (I mean actually seeing him do it), nor have I ever noticed the bullet ricocheting off the wall so close to Willard Whyte's head when Saxby attempts to shoot him.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I watched TB last night and connected the possible homage in SP in which Bond is wearing a black polo with khakis in Shrublands as well as in L'Americain.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Never dawned on me that Bond would know the song Underneath The Mango Tree (which he sings to Honey) because he had played the record whilst waiting for Prof Dent.

So obvious but took dozens of viewings for the penny to drop.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,756
    IMO I think older Bond movies are a little too difficult to understand but that's just my opinion.
  • IMO I think older Bond movies are a little too difficult to understand but that's just my opinion.

They are definitely more difficult to understand. Also because Bond is topical, and these are older movies, so they are older topics. E.g. toppling.
    I watched TB last night and connected the possible homage in SP in which Bond is wearing a black polo with khakis in Shrublands as well as in L'Americain.

In SP, the shirt is navy blue. And the Shrublands shirt is a long sleeve polo but Bond pushes the sleeves up over his elbow. Regardless, you are right in that dark polos with khakis are part of the regular Bond attrire.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I've just realised Joanna Lumley plays "the English girl" and not Ruby :-O
    TripAces wrote: »

In SP, the shirt is navy blue. And the Shrublands shirt is a long sleeve polo but Bond pushes the sleeves up over his elbow. Regardless, you are right in that dark polos with khakis are part of the regular Bond attrire.

CR and TLD too.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    w2bond wrote: »
    I've just realised Joanna Lumley plays "the English girl" and not Ruby :-O

Ruby is played to perfection by Angrla Scoular, who was also a Bond Girl two years earlier in CR '67 (in which she takes a bath with Bond).

She was also married to Leslie Phillips.
    Ding Dong ! ;)