I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• edited July 2022 Posts: 1,004
    "Well contrary to what you may believe, 007, the world is not populated by madmen in hollowed-out volcanoes filled with big-breasted women threatening the world with nuclear annihilation."

That wouldn't have necessarily broke the continuity for me. I'd take it that Dench is the new M, and the events of YOLT took place in her predecessor's time, and she's kind of saying 'that doesn't happen anymore' rather than 'that never happened'. It's a similar spin to the Goldeneye "sexist misogynist dinosaur" speech, where the scriptwriters seem to be saying same Bond in a different world. They did it in the Craig Era with the exploding pen line. "We really don't go in for that kind of thing anymore" I think M said.
    But yes, it's just a bit of fan-service, in the same was Rog's "from Russia, with love" line was in AVTAK. Best not to dwell too heavily on them.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I took it as solidifying the continuity. The obscurification could be intentional.
    There's been quite a few people on here saying they saw each actor as a 'reboot', but I've always thought the fun in the James Bond movie series was this (admittedly ludicrous) idea that they were all the same man. Which is why I liked seeing the old props in the DAD Q scene, and Tracy's grave in FYEO, and Bond being "married once" in LTK. So I wouldn't have minded the Dench Q mentioning volcanoes and stuff. But it does come across a little clumsy, when you watch it. It feels a bit shoehorned in. But then it would, seeing as I'm most used to the released movie.
    Brozza was great, wasn't he? I enjoyed the PB years.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2022 Posts: 3,390
    Currently watching Goldfinger.....

When Masterson called Bond, Mr. Bond, Bond said that she should just "Call me James".

That's quite familiar to me, until I remember in No Time To Die, which Craig spoke that line to Nomi "James, call me James".

And just now, also realized that Moore's Bond also said that line in A View To A Kill in the PTS.

Quite interesting that these three Bond Actors carried this line.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    When in NTTD does he say that to Nomi? Can't remember.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    When in NTTD does he say that to Nomi? Can't remember.

When Nomi picks him up on her scooter on the ride back to his house after she (allegedly) sabotages his Land Rover :D
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Brozza was great, wasn't he? I enjoyed the PB years.
    Yes, he was. I hope they get back to those types of Bond films, and forget this psychological take they've been in, which has grown monotonous. They've gone at it so hard that I wish they would make the next film purely about the logistics of espionage, the bad guy's plan, and Bond getting it on with one or more women. In luxurious settings.

It's not even bad to peek a little into Bond's mind, but for me, it's seasoning. And now I feel they have been over-seasoning.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I have seen TB many times. I can't believe that I never realized that Patricia is the woman who left the clinic with Lippe, when Bond was on the phone with Moneypenny. I don't know how I missed this: but it was in accidentally watching it with CC on that I noticed he said, "Come on, Pat." And then it dawned on me.

So, what this does...

It no longer makes Patricia Fearing an innocent victim of sexual harassment by Bond. He didn't start making a move on her until he realized she was "with" Lippe. And this only intensified after Bond was left on the rack. It all makes sense, now.

I've just realized that No Time To Die was the first non fleming title where Blofeld made an appearance, (SPECTRE was a chapter title in Thunderball novel).

All of his appearances in the past were all in a Fleming titled Bond films (FRWL, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, and FYEO).

So, No Time To Die might be the first non fleming title or a title didn't came from Fleming to feature Blofeld.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I take that point @MI6HQ for the films listed, but never say never.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 2022 Posts: 5,979
    Noticed this watching recently:

Every actor in the CR main credits had his or her character die over the course of Craig's era... except for one. Who was it?
    Villiers?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    TripAces wrote: »
    I have seen TB many times. I can't believe that I never realized that Patricia is the woman who left the clinic with Lippe, when Bond was on the phone with Moneypenny. I don't know how I missed this: but it was in accidentally watching it with CC on that I noticed he said, "Come on, Pat." And then it dawned on me.

So, what this does...

It no longer makes Patricia Fearing an innocent victim of sexual harassment by Bond. He didn't start making a move on her until he realized she was "with" Lippe. And this only intensified after Bond was left on the rack. It all makes sense, now.

I did read a take on this section of the film as Lippe and Bond are basically getting into a pissing match with each trying to one up the other. Patricia becomes a pawn or trophy that they vie for. The thrust of the article is that it was a juvenile game between two grown men.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    echo wrote: »

Every actor in the CR main credits had his or her character die over the course of Craig's era... except for one. Who was it?

Mr. Mendel?
    Bond rides a bicycle in NSNA, which made me think... does Bond ever ride a bicycle in the main series? I'm struggling to think of a scene where he did. I know a bicycle goes by in OP, but Bond himself is on the tuk tuk.
    thedove wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

So, what this does...

I did read a take on this section of the film as Lippe and Bond are basically getting into a pissing match with each trying to one up the other. Patricia becomes a pawn or trophy that they vie for. The thrust of the article is that it was a juvenile game between two grown men.

But it also foreshadows Bond's similar tug of war with Largo over Domino. He did the same with Goldfinger. I like that aspect of Connery Bond, something we don't get anymore.
    A really cool moment in Goldfinger, one that pretty much happens entirely off screen…

After Bond is captured and awakes on the plane, he asks if any of his luggage survived the crash, and Mei Lei mentions that his attache case was damaged when examined. In my mind, I see some of Goldfinger’s personnel triggering the tear-gas cartridge on themselves by opening the case wrong. It’s really a throwaway moment but I’ve always liked it.

CrzChris4 wrote: »
    A really cool moment in Goldfinger, one that pretty much happens entirely off screen…

After Bond is captured and awakes on the plane, he asks if any of his luggage survived the crash, and Mei Lei mentions that his attache case was damaged when examined. In my mind, I see some of Goldfinger’s personnel triggering the tear-gas cartridge on themselves by opening the case wrong. It’s really a throwaway moment but I’ve always liked it.

I always liked that mention too. There's another earlier in the film when Bond notices Tilly's case and asks if she's there for the hunting season and mentions he had one like that once, which I took to mean the attache case.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    echo wrote: »

MI6HQ wrote: »
    Villiers?

Ha! That’s a great fact.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I forgot that Jeffrey Wright had a cameo in Game Night in which he had a scene with Billy Magnussen.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    GE: When Bond removes the grate above the toilet stall, you can see that there's no dunny roll on the holder and the soldiers are using cut up newspaper to wipe their bum. Cue 'In Soviet Russia' jokes.
    When the scrap magnet is loading what's left of Solo and Goldfinger's gold into a car, Oddjob is getting into the car to drive back to Auric's stud farm. However is 'oddjob' a stunt talent? He doesn't quite look right.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,161
    It’s Michael G Wilson in the bowler. Maybe that’s not true, but I think I remember hearing that. Either way is definitely a stunt person.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 3,390
    These two things occured to me in Octopussy.....

52348901856_836411de9b_b.jpg

Daniel Craig's predecessor was in this movie!

And.....

ezgif-3-43656644a5.gif

An Octopussy having sex with this guy's face.....AKA Octopussy Onatopp! Orgasm, Octopussy? :))

(Well, use your imagination for this 😂).

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Just a small one, that may or may not have been noticed before.
    In GF when Oddjob gets in the Lincoln Continental to take Mr. Solo to the airport he's wearing a dark waistcoat. But shortly after when he gets in the pickup with the crushed Lincoln Continental (and Mr. Solo) he's wearing a grey waistcoat. (And is clearly a Caucasian man too.)
    edited October 2022 Posts: 3,390
    I've never thought that in OHMSS.

If Bond married Tracy, then when Draco died, all of his properties would go to Tracy, one of them is the Draco Construction company, then if Tracy couldn't handle the company due to the lack of knowledge and experience, then it would be Bond (because he's the husband, in case that Tracy couldn't handle her father's business). He could be the new owner of the Construction company!

And of course, if there's a conjugal property that's going to be signed, then Bond had some shares at all of Draco's fortune in case that he dies, of course all of that would go to Teresa, but Bond also had some shares, if the Conjugal Property or the Prenuptial agreement was signed.

A shame, Bond could have been a rich man.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,526
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    I've never thought that in OHMSS.

If Bond married Tracy, then when Draco died, all of his properties would go to Tracy, one of them is the Draco Construction company, then if Tracy couldn't handle the company due to the lack of knowledge and experience, then it would be Bond (because he's the husband, in case that Tracy couldn't handle her father's business). He could be the new owner of the Construction company!

And of course, if there's a conjugal property that's going to be signed, then Bond had some shares at all of Draco's fortune in case that he dies, of course all of that would go to Teresa, but Bond also had some shares, if the Conjugal Property or the Prenuptial agreement was signed.

A shame, Bond could have been a rich man.

In my mind, Bond had always just kept the proceeds from beating Drax at Blades in Moonraker (despite M's pressure to donate it), setting him up for life.

What happens to Draco after OHMSS is something that keeps me up at night. I so wish we got a follow up to OHMSS with Lazenby, Savalas, and Ferzetti. He was a great actor and a great character, and I would love to have seen some unbridled rage from him towards Blofeld. I have in my mind a nice way to have incorporated him into a more faithful adaption of YOLT.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DN - Strangways says "...and don't try doctoring any hands for me while I'm away" before he's killed by the Three Blind Mice.

Dr. No doesn't have hands.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
    After watching TLD, I was thinking that next comes my fav movie of all time, LTK and I was suddenly striked by a realization. I googled it and seems there's at least another fan who thinks so: In a way, LTK shows Bond on a Dashiell Hammett-type of story. I think its connections to Red Harvest are obvious (if not blatantly so). And I love Hammett, so it's another positive point for LTK.

Has this topic been discussed here, by chance?