I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    I like to this I'm the first one to notice this, but in TWINE Sophie Marceau appears to almost jump on Judi's line but catches herself before she does.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Minion wrote: »
    I like to this I'm the first one to notice this, but in TWINE Sophie Marceau appears to almost jump on Judi's line but catches herself before she does.

Or, if you don't look at it as them reading script lines, Elektra had another thought but changed what she said after M completed her sentence. But yes, good catch.

Speaking of the Brosnan era, I noticed the tiger (I believe it was) locked in the cage while Bond and Q are going over his new car in TND. I hadn't seen that before somehow until now, seems quite obvious in hindsight.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @Creasy47

At 4:52

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »

Or, if you don't look at it as them reading script lines, Elektra had another thought but changed what she said after M completed her sentence. But yes, good catch.

Speaking of the Brosnan era, I noticed the tiger (I believe it was) locked in the cage while Bond and Q are going over his new car in TND. I hadn't seen that before somehow until now, seems quite obvious in hindsight.
    There’s a deleted scene in which Q opens to reveal the caged tiger. Bond says “Jaguar?” to which Q replies “wrong assignment.”
    Very cool! Thanks for that, guys. I did a deep dive Bondathon in the past, all deleted scenes included, but can't say I remember this one in particular. Pretty interesting that it's part of a larger scene inevitably removed.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Noticed a tiny mistake in DAF today. After Bond kills one of the Blofelds, a
    cat walks across the table. In the close up he walks in front of a Box on the Table but
    in the next longer shot He walks across the table behind the box.
    I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched DAF over the years and have only
    noticed that today :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Something I'd not noticed before: Skyfall is the only Bond film that I can think of (and I may well be wrong) that references the character's substance abuse from the novels.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Quantum possibly, with the bar tenders little dig about having 6 of them.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Sorry, may have misunderstood your comment. You meant substance abuse rather than alcohol. My mistake
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,948
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Sorry, may have misunderstood your comment. You meant substance abuse rather than alcohol. My mistake

Yes, sorry; I should have been clearer: Silva says "signs of alcohol and substance abuse" so he definitely means it separately from the booze.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,056
    mtm wrote: »

Yes, sorry; I should have been clearer: Silva says "signs of alcohol and substance abuse" so he definitely means it separately from the booze.

He’s also chewing through pills whilst “enjoying death” in Turkey. Appreciate its unclear what. Maybe pain medication for his shoulder.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mallory wrote: »

He’s also chewing through pills whilst “enjoying death” in Turkey. Appreciate its unclear what. Maybe pain medication for his shoulder.

Oh yes of course: that's never quite gone in my brain somehow. I think you're right about pain meds- he's eyeing up his wound in that scene isn't he? So I guess probably not quite the amphetamines usage that Fleming spoke of.
    In Craig's films it sure seems to be pain medication. Between what happens to Bond and what's happened to Craig, it's a two-train train wreck ! In the books it was always somethin'. Even the old pre-modern vodka drinker's habit: Hell yeah they want that strong Russian vodka, but drop some ___ in there to precipitate the ___ ? I don't recall, or was it just Bond adding amphetamines to his booze ?
    They never would've done it but SF post-PTS would've been the perfect time to get Bond smoking again.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,948
    They never would've done it but SF post-PTS would've been the perfect time to get Bond smoking again.

Heh- he really would have looked like a nervous wreck then! :D

I actually think they can't really have him smoke cigarettes again- not just for health reasons but because it just doesn't look cool any more. He'd look a bit of a loser.
    (That's not to say that Connery etc. doesn't still look cool in his films smoking, but smoking in the modern day says something different about your character).

Heh- he really would have looked like a nervous wreck then! :D

I actually think they can't really have him smoke cigarettes again- not just for health reasons but because it just doesn't look cool any more. He'd look a bit of a loser.
    (That's not to say that Connery etc. doesn't still look cool in his films smoking, but smoking in the modern day says something different about your character).

You're probably right. It'll always be something I'd like to see return still but might only work if they ever went the period piece route.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Watching Goldfinger for the 4000th time last night and just noticed when Bond turns Tilly's head to face the camera after been Oddjob'ed she blinks several times.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Watching Goldfinger for the 4000th time last night and just noticed when Bond turns Tilly's head to face the camera after been Oddjob'ed she blinks several times.

Nice. Yeah, she's, uh, not a strong actress, that one.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,844
    Could be wrong, but I don't believe Fleming ever mentioned Bond using substances recreationally—only amphetamines to enhance his performance in the line of duty, as apparently was common during the war.

Maybe during one of his periods of malaise—MR, DN, YOLT—there was mention of him abusing substances?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Octopussy's PTS featured Bond in what is considered to be an "unnamed Latin American country".

I just received the book The James Bond Bedside Companion (Raymond Benson), and spotted a photo of Roger dressed as Colonel Toro. The description below it depicts Bond "disguised as an Argentine officer".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJOecMO6Q8077--uIMCYW4ZIkxfXbIO2JVQpSWLJAezjgRBvhn-tP1XAE1AZke22mIKJo&usqp=CAU

Personally, I prefer the mystique of it being just one of the several fictional countries unique to Bond's world.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    QBranch wrote: »
    Octopussy's PTS featured Bond in what is considered to be an "unnamed Latin American country".

I just received the book The James Bond Bedside Companion (Raymond Benson), and spotted a photo of Roger dressed as Colonel Toro. The description below it depicts Bond "disguised as an Argentine officer".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJOecMO6Q8077--uIMCYW4ZIkxfXbIO2JVQpSWLJAezjgRBvhn-tP1XAE1AZke22mIKJo&usqp=CAU

Personally, I prefer the mystique of it being just one of the several fictional countries unique to Bond's world.

The Spanish accent is not Argentinian, but Cuban? And these guys and their cigars should ring a bell ;)

31b808_20c16e0e07f94c0eb8e90f7c99a11805~mv2.webp

Check: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FS2VB6W?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860
    ;)
    edited October 2021 Posts: 13,928
    ggl007 wrote: »
    The Spanish accent is not Argentinian, but Cuban? And these guys and their cigars should ring a bell ;)
    I agree, that's the vibe I get, more Cuban than elsewhere.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I always took it to be Cuba too.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Yeah I always took it to be Cuba too.

Especially with the comment to Bianca about seeing her in Miami as Bond detaches the horse float.
    Cuba would be a more logical location than Argentina.
    Seems Benson has some explaining to do.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    In one of the reviews of NTTD, I read a comparison of Nomi to Rosie Carver.

Apparently, Rosie's storyline was written so that her scenes could be removed entirely in areas where they were against interracial sex. I'm guessing that was the southern US but maybe also South Africa.

If true, that's appalling.
    echo wrote: »

Apparently, Rosie's storyline was written so that her scenes could be removed entirely in areas where they were against interracial sex. I'm guessing that was the southern US but maybe also South Africa.

What a horrible comparison. Would make me not want to read or care about the rest of the review.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    echo wrote: »

South Africa and possibly Japan, I believe, but not the southern US.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I've never noticed before (or I don't remember noticing anyway) that as Bond walks into the Hong Kong Yacht Club in his dripping pyjamas in DAD, a man he walks past remarks that he's not wearing a tie :)
    That line comes just after, "My, standards are falling!"