I've never noticed that before...

Comments

Watched OHMSS again and came up with several things I hadn't noticed before (apologies if they've previously been mentioned):

-Bond's golf bag has JB on it.

-After the fight with Che Che, a cut is visible above Bond's left eye and is still visible when he awakens the next morning.

-During the same scene as above, Lazenby has a comma of hair over his forehead at one point, reminiscent of how Fleming's Bond is written to have.

-Is Bond's robe the same one Moore wears at the end of LALD?

-When Bond drives to see M, a sign reading Quarterdeck is attached to the entranceway. Odd M would want to advertise where he lived.

-When Bond is trying to escape the cable car gear room, the scene of the cable car unloading in the village you can see Piz Gloria lit up in the background. It's a nice shot composition from Peter Hunt.

-The DeBleauchamp coat of arms is displayed on the cable car.

-I don't know if it was during the remastering of the film for home video, but I don't recall the ski chase having so many shots that don't hide the day for night look.

-I also don't know if this was intentional, but thought this was knid of fun and ironic: When the girls and Bray/Bond finish their curling and Bond is plotting rendezvous with them, he passes a sign with a guard and a board has "Score" written on it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Wow, @BT3366 - I hadn't noticed the majority of those! As if we needed more reasons to love OHMSS!
    The lady that was being merrily raped by the general guy in QOS was wearing flesh coloured panties. I thought she wasn't wearing anything.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The lady that was being merrily raped by the general guy in QOS was wearing flesh coloured panties. I thought she wasn't wearing anything.

That's naughty use of the pause button! :))
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Watched OHMSS again and came up with several things I hadn't noticed before (apologies if they've previously been mentioned):

-Bond's golf bag has JB on it.

-After the fight with Che Che, a cut is visible above Bond's left eye and is still visible when he awakens the next morning.

-During the same scene as above, Lazenby has a comma of hair over his forehead at one point, reminiscent of how Fleming's Bond is written to have.

-Is Bond's robe the same one Moore wears at the end of LALD?

-When Bond drives to see M, a sign reading Quarterdeck is attached to the entranceway. Odd M would want to advertise where he lived.

-When Bond is trying to escape the cable car gear room, the scene of the cable car unloading in the village you can see Piz Gloria lit up in the background. It's a nice shot composition from Peter Hunt.

-The DeBleauchamp coat of arms is displayed on the cable car.

-I don't know if it was during the remastering of the film for home video, but I don't recall the ski chase having so many shots that don't hide the day for night look.

-I also don't know if this was intentional, but thought this was knid of fun and ironic: When the girls and Bray/Bond finish their curling and Bond is plotting rendezvous with them, he passes a sign with a guard and a board has "Score" written on it.

Quarterdeckis the name of the house, as many houses do have names of their own. No doubt M gave the name himself, but it doesn't reveal much to the casual observer. And don't forget M is an Admiral. To his surroundings he's probably just 'an admiral' working for the department of defense. Not much advertising there, but IIRC straight out of the novel.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I don't know if it was during the remastering of the film for home video, but I don't recall the ski chase having so many shots that don't hide the day for night look.

It wouldn't be the first Blu-Ray/HD version of a film where day-for-night shots look much brighter than they did on the original release prints.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I just re-watched the Tee Hee Bond fight scene and think while the pattern looks famillar the style is a little different. Moore's robe looks longer to me then Lazenby's. But it could also be the way both scenes are shot.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,640
    OT : In Batman episode "13th hat" Bruce mentions "Carrara marble" , anyway that marble comes from Italy where QoS was filmed
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 230

I
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I’ve run that statistic for Bond Killing Main Villains before, Connery and Craig have horrible batting averages.

Connery - 2 out of 6 (or 7, with NSNA)
    Lazenby - 1 for 1
    Moore - 6 for 7 (impressive)
    Dalton - 1.5 for 2 (TLD makes that an odd one)
    Brosnan - 4 for 4 (perfect)
    Craig - 1 out of 4 (pretty weak, so far)

Interesting provided the reputations of Moore and Brosnan as being Pillsbury Dough Bonds.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 230
    I was watching a bit of Spectre and the Mexican bird that was with Bond in the opening looks exactly like the American congresswoman Alexandira Occasio Cortez.

How the hell do you know the name of one isolated American congresswoman? I couldn't name a single member of the House of Commons unless they eventually became PM. :) Kudos!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    FYEO. When Bond is watching Gonzalos receive his pay off for the Havelock hit he hears something behind him and he sees a shadowy figure move through the trees. Seconds later he is taken by the guards.

It only dawned on me on the 2 millionth viewing that the figure moving through the trees was in fact Melina. Because there were so many guards around I never thought any more of it and assumed it was a guard.
    Speaking of FYEO, I never realised that Charles Dance is one of the ice hockey players who attack Bond. Its revealed in the Inside FYEO doc, as the sequence was longer and shows Dance removing his headgear! Personally they should have removed the whole set piece altogether!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Speaking of FYEO, I never realised that Charles Dance is one of the ice hockey players who attack Bond. Its revealed in the Inside FYEO doc, as the sequence was longer and shows Dance removing his headgear! Personally they should have removed the whole set piece altogether!

Absolutely agree. Had they cut the ice hockey out and the dull submarine battle (maybe only 4 minutes of screen time) the whole film would have improved immeasurably.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I kinda like the ice hockey sequence, it has the best example of Moore's "OOOHFFF!" noise 😆
    Watching FRWL now . When Klebb is taken to the lake to see Grant for the first time she pauses for a moment and stares at him before asking for him to be brought to her. It suddenly occurred to me she may actually have been admiring the young bikini clad masseur? Another subtle nod towards her sexuality that could only be hinted at?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »

Absolutely agree. Had they cut the ice hockey out and the dull submarine battle (maybe only 4 minutes of screen time) the whole film would have improved immeasurably.

Agreed. FYEO is one that continues to impress me. However the ice hockey scene and submarine battle add absolutely nothing to the story.
    Having Bond wake from a dream in the PTS would be the only other change I would make.
    Other than that, a near perfect Bond film.
    FYEO for me is Moore's FRWL.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    By curious quirk of fate, I'm also watching FRWL.
    Not sure about this one. I'm wondering if the chandelier in the chess match is the same as the one in Octopussy's bedroom?
    Although the one in FRWL has some different colouring, it's possible in 20 years it had been refurbished.
    I'm almost certain the chandelier in OP is also the same one we see in Stacey's home in AVTAK.
    Possibly one of the props to be found at Pinewood?
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 17,294
    Benny wrote: »
    By curious quirk of fate, I'm also watching FRWL.
    Not sure about this one. I'm wondering if the chandelier in the chess match is the same as the one in Octopussy's bedroom?
    Although the one in FRWL has some different colouring, it's possible in 20 years it had been refurbished.
    I'm almost certain the chandelier in OP is also the same one we see in Stacey's home in AVTAK.
    Possibly one of the props to be found at Pinewood?

I've been having a look at chandeliers in the old Bond films. There are a few – if not the same – similar ones. Haven't compared the FRWL one with the OP one though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I love hockey but that entire sequence is awful to me. The film would've been strengthened even more with that bit cut (I wouldn't even mind if it was just a straight up fist fight between Bond and some miscellaneous goons in a shut down hockey rink, off the ice, or even out in the parking lot).
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It's one of a handful of scenes I'd cut in order to make FYEO a Top ten contender. Nothing really need be added (a new score, actually).

Much like Serra's work in GE, I've been able to prioritize my enjoyment of the highlights of the score over the negatives in the past few years, so I don't mind it as much as I once did. Having said that, Barry always makes things better and I think him scoring the film would have me ranking it even higher. Still love the film as a whole, though.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I love hockey but that entire sequence is awful to me. The film would've been strengthened even more with that bit cut (I wouldn't even mind if it was just a straight up fist fight between Bond and some miscellaneous goons in a shutdown hockey rink, off the ice, or even out in the parking lot).

I love hockey AND FYOE...but the scene totally seems as if Wilson sat around a Spectre-like conference-room table and said to the other writers and Glen, "hey guys, we keep doing the same things, but have never had a hockey scene before...let's find a way to get one into the movie. I mean, at some point, Bond has to run into hockey...right?"
    STLCards3 wrote: »

I love hockey but that entire sequence is awful to me. The film would've been strengthened even more with that bit cut (I wouldn't even mind if it was just a straight up fist fight between Bond and some miscellaneous goons in a shutdown hockey rink, off the ice, or even out in the parking lot).

I love hockey AND FYOE...but the scene totally seems as if Wilson sat around a Spectre-like conference-room table and said to the other writers and Glen, "hey guys, we keep doing the same things, but have never had a hockey scene before...let's find a way to get one into the movie. I mean, at some point, Bond has to run into hockey...right?"

Agreed. Comes across as tossing in a unique, never before seen sequence just for the sake of it. They could've crafted something more thrilling, grounded and engaging than the goofiness of that entire bit (and the "high speed" Zamboni knock out kills me every time. It's bad.)
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Unless you're counting NSNA, no two Bonds have done the same number of films.

1-GL
    2-TD
    3-(the next guy, perhaps?)
    4-PB
    5-DC
    6-SC
    7-RM

Interesting!
    STLCards3 wrote: »

Agreed. Comes across as tossing in a unique, never before seen sequence just for the sake of it. They could've crafted something more thrilling, grounded and engaging than the goofiness of that entire bit (and the "high speed" Zamboni knock out kills me every time. It's bad.)

I have always wondered who was operating the air horn for every "goal scored"? Who turns out the lights? All the players are on the ice. Why wouldn't this person join in on the action? Or at least wait to kill Bond after he gets off the ice. Also how does a metal hockey net collapse so easily.

I understand the need for the scene. We need Luigi dead, we need a small fight/action piece. A better way would have been for Bond to be in boots and the thugs in skates. Then have them fight. No Zamboni and no hokey stuff. I even like the lights going off.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I never had a problem with the ice hockey scene, it's just a bit of nonsensical filler. I guess my one gripe would be that the last standing player should've been able to dodge the sweeper Bond commandeers!

*Fun fact: besides the white/black/silver hockey masks, there was a fourth one made in red:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49660811112_7d82eac59a_o.png
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I never had a problem with the ice hockey scene, it's just a bit of nonsensical filler. I guess my one gripe would be that the last standing player should've been able to dodge the sweeper Bond commandeers!

*Fun fact: besides the white/black/silver hockey masks, there was a fourth one made in red:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49660811112_7d82eac59a_o.png

My problem with the hockey scene is the same I have with Bambi and Thumper (ok, that came later, actually, but still): It suddenly ends in a most anti-climactic way, as if the whole thing was no more than some sort of warning or even game, but not a real threat.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah the ice hockey bit really is silly and feels like they just hadn't thought of anything better to put there. Especially when there's that jump cut to Bond suddenly driving that ice brushing machine, or whatever it is!

Speaking of FYEO though, and with the thread subject in mind, I was actually watching it today and thinking about the plot. Bond and Ferrara meet Kristatos in Cortina and he tells them that Columbo is doubtless behind the murder of the Havelocks, and they basically believe him. Kristatos is trying to distract Bond and even attempting to get him to kill Columbo for him. So why is his very next move to try and kill Bond on the ski slopes? And indeed on the ice rink? Why not let him kill Columbo for him? Frame Columbo for Ferrara's murder, sure, but killing Bond seems to make his plan a bit pointless. Bond also knows straight away when he meets Melina that they're onto him as she's been sent a telegram in his name to tell her to come to Cortina: so surely he should get straight after Columbo anyway rather than messing around taking Bibe to the cross country! :D
    It also makes me laugh a bit when Bond tells Melina that if she sticks an arrow in Loque's back they'll never find out who's behind all this. Yeah I wonder which country is behind trying to recover the British missile-firing device, James? :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,973
    Benny wrote: »

Agreed. FYEO is one that continues to impress me. However the ice hockey scene and submarine battle add absolutely nothing to the story.
    Having Bond wake from a dream in the PTS would be the only other change I would make.
    Other than that, a near perfect Bond film.
    FYEO for me is Moore's FRWL.

I used to quite like the idea that Bond was actually a secret Soviet double agent in FYEO: otherwise there's no real reason for him not destroying the ATAC as soon as he gets his hands on it in the wreck of the Triana: he's clearly trying to recover it for the Russians but can't risk being found out :D

Actually, one more thing I noticed for the first time in FYEO today (apart from Cassandra Harris' nipple! :D) is that that shot of Bond in front of the exploding warehouse in Albania I had always assumed was Roger in front of a back projection screen with a little bang going off in front of him to tie him into the scene. But I did a freeze frame and it does appear to be a double, and from the way the lighting works it looks like it's a real stunt: which is kind of bonkers as there are proper bits of very large debris (like warehouse doors!) which only just miss the stunt guy! Am I right or is it just special effects?

Also another spot: I'd never noticed that some of the crates in that scene have a 'Kristatos' logo on them! :D
    The whole thing of retrieving the ATAC seems a bit far fetched. Why not just destroy it at the bottom of the sea. The British must have had multiple ships equipped with it and not just a fish trawler in the Greek islands.

I think Kristatos was making it clear that "The Dove" was after him. Columbo didn't have any reason to harm Bond. By sending his goons after Bond with the dove all over it would have 2 effects. Either they would be successful and kill Bond and set up Columbo as the killer. Or if they were unsuccessful Bond would report that Columbo was the man and get his vengeance on him. Flimsy but I think it could pass the smell test.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    thedove wrote: »
    The whole thing of retrieving the ATAC seems a bit far fetched. Why not just destroy it at the bottom of the sea. The British must have had multiple ships equipped with it and not just a fish trawler in the Greek islands.

Exactly! He's clearly working for the Ruskies ;)
    thedove wrote: »
    I think Kristatos was making it clear that "The Dove" was after him. Columbo didn't have any reason to harm Bond. By sending his goons after Bond with the dove all over it would have 2 effects. Either they would be successful and kill Bond and set up Columbo as the killer. Or if they were unsuccessful Bond would report that Columbo was the man and get his vengeance on him. Flimsy but I think it could pass the smell test.

Yeah it does just about work; although it does raise another question- why doesn't Bond smell a rat when Melina says she got a telegram from him? How could Columbo have possibly found out his identity? He's ID-ed as MI6 in Spain by the pool but he's not there long enough for anyone to find out his name. Surely that suggests that it's someone he's told his name to that's trying to kill him in Cortina? Melina even! :D