I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    IIRC, there is at least a very prominent Marlboro billboard in MR. It is also listed here:

Brands in Bond
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The health warning at the end of LTK was symptomatic of the changing attitudes, and pretty much a signal that Bond s smoking days were numbered.

Exactly. That was the turning point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,973
    The health warning at the end of LTK was symptomatic of the changing attitudes, and pretty much a signal that Bond s smoking days were numbered.
    QBranch wrote: »
    a2308628999758920564b07f196ba8de.jpg

Awesome thanks; I actually don't remember seeing this before!
    I did rewatch FYEO last night and came up with a lot less I noticed than I did earlier with OHMSS, but a couple things stood out:

-Kristatos' henchman Apostis, maybe best known as the guy who Bond hits with a piton and falls off Meteora, looks a lot like Adam Driver.

-There's a credit for the Greek wedding scene in the end credits.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    FYEO seems to be the Bond film of the moment: there were tracks from it playing on the radio just now, and a new Smershpod all about it has just been released today! :)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    The FRWL scene:Could it be the hand of Grant in gloves?
    @BT3366 it's true, Bond killed Adam Driver!
    @QBranch great picture of Dalton. I think I haven't seen it before.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,697
    Who is that "Adam Driver"? The only actor with that name I find on IMDb was born in 1983, two years after FYEO. Or did you mean that ironically?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Who is that "Adam Driver"? The only actor with that name I find on IMDb was born in 1983, two years after FYEO. Or did you mean that ironically?

I'm sure he meant it ironically.
    BT3366 wrote: »

OK, thanks. Since I had to look him up either way (having refused to watch the most recent Star Wars movies so far and not having seen BlackKklansman (or however you spell it) althought I bought the Blu-ray months ago, I just don't know that guy and wondered if there was someone else with the same name.

OK, thanks. Since I had to look him up either way (having refused to watch the most recent Star Wars movies so far and not having seen BlackKklansman (or however you spell it) althought I bought the Blu-ray months ago, I just don't know that guy and wondered if there was someone else with the same name.
    He's a good actor, been in a lot of high-profile films like BlackKklansman and the Oscar-nominated Marriage Story last year.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Sorry @j_w_pepper I didn't intend to confuse you . Yes, I only made a joke. But it's really true that the actor in FYEO looks a bit like Adam Driver. I'm not even sure if I have seen a movie with this guy but he seems to be very talented (if the critics I've read are true).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

He's a good actor, been in a lot of high-profile films like BlackKklansman and the Oscar-nominated Marriage Story last year.

He was in Logan Lucky too, with some guy...
    No problem either way. Thanks for the enlightenment.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 2,896
    mtm wrote: »
    a2308628999758920564b07f196ba8de.jpg

Awesome thanks; I actually don't remember seeing this before!

It's in the deleted scenes section of the LTK Blu-Ray.

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    My boyfriend just asked me what Timothy Dalton's middle name is (Leonard...yes, I am grade A stalker material) and then pointed out that he has the same initials as The Living Daylights. HOW had I never thought of that??
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    My boyfriend just asked me what Timothy Dalton's middle name is (Leonard...yes, I am grade A stalker material) and then pointed out that he has the same initials as The Living Daylights. HOW had I never thought of that??
    Leonard? I always thought it was Peter.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Can you guess what @Agent_99's middle names are? ;)
    Can you guess what @Agent_99's middle names are? ;)

Partylike Itsninety.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Do what you like to me, I shall never tell!
    No Time To Die could be even more of an anthem than Skyfall.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Do what you like to me, I shall never tell!

that sounds way too much like an invitation! :-D
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm, sure you guys hav seen the full commercial (late to this topic), but, just in case, here it is.

What I find fascinating is that to me it clearly shows that, given the proper director, Timothy could have played the lighter, more glib Bond with ease. He failed miserably at those attempts at levity in his two EON outings, but this short ad reveals the approach that should have been taken if that was what you wanted from Tim.

Yes, I find him more Bondian in this little clip than in both his movies, and I don't think he did a bad job there!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I've seen that Lark clip before, but have just noticed the connection to the 'ACME' billboard and LTK: you can see some storage tanks in Krest's warehouse labelled 'The ACME', when he first meets Bond.
    I've seen that Lark clip before, but have just noticed the connection to the 'ACME' billboard and LTK: you can see some storage tanks in Krest's warehouse labelled 'The ACME', when he first meets Bond.

Always makes me think of Wile E. Coyote.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,009
    I noticed two silly things on DAF that I attribute to my overactive imagination:

- M rolls his eyes after saying "We do function in your absence, Commander". A reference to Lazenby's outing?
    - Bond looks weird at Slumber's, when Morton proceeds to incinerate Peter Franks. Is it...
    a) Bond - and Connery - overacting for the fun of it?
    b) Annoyance over Slumber's antics and wanting to get his cash ASAP?
    c) Or maybe dejection remembering another recent funeral?
    Can someone explain the logics of the entire Slumber sequence to me?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    echo wrote: »

Bond arrives in Las Vegas, smuggling the real diamonds inside of Franks' corpse. Leiter switches out the real diamonds and replaces them with the fakes, which are then sent with him to the funeral parlor. The fake diamonds are exchanged for fake money and Bond is knocked out and placed in the coffin, with the intention of killing one more link in the chain. They stop at the last second, since Bond knew it was a setup and brought the fake diamonds instead (this is further cemented by the fact that Bond recognizes the money as fake, so he was right in his suspicions). Bond then offers the real diamonds for real money and leaves (which is then when Bond requests the real diamonds from Leiter). The fakes are merely there to either not reveal his hand so soon and be expendable or because he knew that it was going to be a trap (or both).
    I noticed two silly things on DAF that I attribute to my overactive imagination:

- M rolls his eyes after saying "We do function in your absence, Commander". A reference to Lazenby's outing?
    - Bond looks weird at Slumber's, when Morton proceeds to incinerate Peter Franks. Is it...
    a) Bond - and Connery - overacting for the fun of it?
    b) Annoyance over Slumber's antics and wanting to get his cash ASAP?
    c) Or maybe dejection remembering another recent funeral?

Yes the whole sequence with M and Sir Donald is played with some in jokes.

Sir Donald "You've been on holiday I understand. Most relaxing I trust."

Bond "Hardly relaxing but most satisfying." (Connery enjoyed his time away from Bond! Yes this can also refer to Bond taking out Blofeld.)

Yes M's eye roll could be in relation to Connery's return too!

My thought on Bond behaving the way he does is that he's not enjoying the waste of time out to visit Slumber's place. He is impatient to get his money and get out. He is in effect playing the part of Peter Franks.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Bond arrives in Las Vegas, smuggling the real diamonds inside of Franks' corpse. Leiter switches out the real diamonds and replaces them with the fakes, which are then sent with him to the funeral parlor. The fake diamonds are exchanged for fake money and Bond is knocked out and placed in the coffin, with the intention of killing one more link in the chain. They stop at the last second, since Bond knew it was a setup and brought the fake diamonds instead (this is further cemented by the fact that Bond recognizes the money as fake, so he was right in his suspicions). Bond then offers the real diamonds for real money and leaves (which is then when Bond requests the real diamonds from Leiter). The fakes are merely there to either not reveal his hand so soon and be expendable or because he knew that it was going to be a trap (or both).

It's Bond's idea to ship the Diamonds in the body and presumably the smuggling ring have been informed as the funeral parlour is all set up and ready. So why does the funeral director carry on the ruse in the parlour? He's obviously already in with the smuggling ring?

Then theres the scene where Wint and Kidd knock out Bond, put him in the coffin, then he's 'rescued' by Shady Tree and the funeral director from the incinerator because the diamonds are fake....yet later in the film it's clear Wint & Kidd have never met Shady Tree....Er what?!!!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It's Bond's idea to ship the Diamonds in the body and presumably the smuggling ring have been informed as the funeral parlour is all set up and ready. So why does the funeral director carry on the ruse in the parlour? He's obviously already in with the smuggling ring?

Then theres the scene where Wint and Kidd knock out Bond, put him in the coffin, then he's 'rescued' by Shady Tree and the funeral director from the incinerator because the diamonds are fake....yet later in the film it's clear Wint & Kidd have never met Shady Tree....Er what?!!!

I can only think they went through the process because there was no other ways to remove the diamonds from the body. Or they did it so that if someone came in they would think it's just a funeral.

Well the next link in the pipeline is Shady Tree. So Wint and Kidd hadn't met Shady Tree since he was supposed to be the next link in the chain. Saxby wants Tree alive because he didn't get the diamonds from Franks like he was supposed to. Wint and Kidd killed Franks and their next target was Tree!