I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    mtm wrote: »
    I’d never noticed that AVTAK is, I believe, the only film where Bond isn’t shown to stay in a hotel! :D

I'm not sure we see him in a hotel in YOLT either.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    When Mr. White says “Your word?“ in SP, it sounds like Gollum would talk. Is it only me who thinks that SP switched to LOTR for a few seconds?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    thedove wrote: »
    I’d never noticed that AVTAK is, I believe, the only film where Bond isn’t shown to stay in a hotel! :D

I wasn’t sure either, but the newspaper report from the opening in Hong Kong says that he was killed in a hotel! :)
  • peterpeter Toronto

I wasn’t sure either, but the newspaper report from the opening in Hong Kong says that he was killed in a hotel! :)

I never caught that the newspaper reported his "murder" happened in a hotel. I always assumed it was Ling's home since they're talking about her giving him "very best duck" (she was about to cook him this duck)... It just seemed like a nice rendezvous in between James Bond's assignments and he was crashing at her pad before moving on. Nothing in this scene gives the vibe of a hotel.

I should now watch this opening; there's an establishing exterior shot of the cops arriving-- was it outside of a hotel?...
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Obit_Bond_YOLT.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thanks ggl! I do agree though Peter, I didn't realise it was supposed to be a hotel (if it was and that wasn't just something they put in the newspaper!).
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Thanks ggl! I do agree though Peter, I didn't realise it was supposed to be a hotel (if it was and that wasn't just something they put in the newspaper!).

Funny enough, I never even considered it was anything BUT a hotel room, not having read the obit. I mean, where else was Bond likely to make out with a woman abroad?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Funny enough, I never even considered it was anything BUT a hotel room, not having read the obit. I mean, where else was Bond likely to make out with a woman abroad?

Heh! It's true, but then why does such a big hotel room need a bed that folds up into the wall? :)
    We have to remember that these films were not being made for viewers to pause and freeze frame certain images. I bet they just filled out a newspaper to make it look like a column. I have never thought Bond was in a hotel in YOLT with Ling.

Oh and by the way my dirty mind I thought when Ling said "I will give you very best duck." I always thought she meant something else. ;)

Interesting discussion.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2019 Posts: 14,962
    Oh and by the way my dirty mind I thought when Ling said "I will give you very best duck." I always thought she meant something else. ;)

Well, yes: that is rather the point! :D

That's another good avenue for 'things we haven't noticed' in fact: some of the dirtier jokes! :) My favourite filthy one is what Roger says to Moneypenny in A View To A Kill (I think?)- as he turns just before going into M's office he says to her:
    "I'll fill you in later, Moneypenny"

Took me a long time to spot that one! Dirty Roger :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2019 Posts: 14,962
    Here's a new thing I've literally just found out thanks to the official 007 social media channel: the stunt driver who did the Mustang stunt in DAF was called Lightning Bear. Awesome name! I'm presuming Native American, but awesome regardless!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia

Also while not portrayed as a hotel, the Hotel New Otani in Tokyo is the site location used as Osato Chemicals.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Obit_Bond_YOLT.jpg

"Foul play is suspected"

You don't say...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Obit_Bond_YOLT.jpg

"Foul play is suspected"

You don't say...

Well if it walks like a duck........
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Obit_Bond_YOLT.jpg

"Foul play is suspected"

You don't say...

Haha! Yes there is something about a guy being found pinned upside down behind a heavy piece of furniture with multiple machine gun wounds in his back that just somehow seems to suggest it wasn't self-inflicted... I can't put my finger on it...
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    How's this for an irrelevant never noticed before (quite a curious one though )
    I'm sat watching random movie songs on one of those endless digital channels and they've just planned Duran Duran's AVTAK video.
    When Mayday jumps off the Eiffel Tower in the video the little diving board thingy has been removed, yet it was left in in the actual movie. A bit strange, why would that be?
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Thank you, total fluke while channel hopping rubbish. I even rewound it to double check.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Obit_Bond_YOLT.jpg

When faking ones death its probably not a good idea to have your photo splashed all over the papers....
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Obit_Bond_YOLT.jpg

When faking ones death its probably not a good idea to have your photo splashed all over the papers....

Ha! Good point! :D

I was watching FRWL yesterday and I never noticed before that in the chess scene at her beginning, the upper part of the room is decorated with elaborate paintings in long shot, but when the camera gets closer in the paintings aren’t there (due to the long shot being a matte painting) :)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Obit_Bond_YOLT.jpg

Disagree. For any villain who'd still have bad feelings about him there's no doubt it's him. After all, after death he hasn't got to worry about privacy.

So, to make sure they all have the right 'commander Bond' in mind, it helps putting his picture out there.
    Obit_Bond_YOLT.jpg

It was a case of fake news more than 50 years ago. Besides, he adopted that brilliant Japanese disguise in the film to compensate.

It does remind me of the scene when Bond strolls down the streets of Tokyo to the sumo match, how he sticks out like a sore thumb.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,185
    Never read that article before.
    "Foul play is suspected and the question is being asked what a high ranking naval officer was doing in such a notorious district" :))
    Sounds just like him. I guess he was looking for an interesting experience.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    cwl007 wrote: »
    How's this for an irrelevant never noticed before (quite a curious one though )
    I'm sat watching random movie songs on one of those endless digital channels and they've just planned Duran Duran's AVTAK video.
    When Mayday jumps off the Eiffel Tower in the video the little diving board thingy has been removed, yet it was left in in the actual movie. A bit strange, why would that be?

@cwl007 That is interesting, wonder if anyone knows why? And can we also just celebrate how much 80s fun that music video is, they don’t make them like that anymore!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    While watching TWINE on Saturday I noticed that in the climatic submarine fight there is a moment where Bond and Renard have each other in strangle holds. I noticed that Robert Carlyle had a less than convincing grip on Brosnan's throat. In fact its noticeable that his thumb isn't even touching Brosnan's neck.

I also watched MR and echo a comment @Birdleson made about the scene in the alleyway during the Rio carnival, and the way Jaws approaches Manuela. Quite spooky.
    However dear old Richard Keil is clearly so desperate not to hurt the girl that their 'wrestling' scene is far from convincing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's not something I've recently "noticed" but just a quick thought I have at the end of TSWLM with each viewing: how in the hell does Jaws survive that swim back? Completely in the middle of nowhere, no backup to call for, even someone of his size would get exhausted.
    It's not something I've recently "noticed" but just a quick thought I have at the end of TSWLM with each viewing: how in the hell does Jaws survive that swim back? Completely in the middle of nowhere, no backup to call for, even someone of his size would get exhausted.

The pilot and flight attendant from MR flew by and landed on a nearby island. Then they picked him up and waited for Bond to book a private plane. By the way, where the hell was Bond going? Why was he on a private jet with just a pilot and one flight attendant? Where did Jaws hide and how long were they flying before the attack started? So many questions!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

The pilot and flight attendant from MR flew by and landed on a nearby island. Then they picked him up and waited for Bond to book a private plane. By the way, where the hell was Bond going? Why was he on a private jet with just a pilot and one flight attendant? Where did Jaws hide and how long were they flying before the attack started? So many questions!

I love Bond films, but I gave up on making any sense of MR a long, long time ago. LOL
    TripAces wrote: »

I love Bond films, but I gave up on making any sense of MR a long, long time ago. LOL

Don't be silly. As long as you can make sense of Bond's decision that they were safer on top of the cable car rather than inside it, then what more is there to worry about?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Is that the same Bond who in TSWLM decided to take a train from Egypt to Sardinia?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Is that the same Bond who in TSWLM decided to take a train from Egypt to Sardinia?

That's him. That's the one!!