Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    002 wrote:
    i watched QOS agian in the blu ray boxset and i took it out and shreeded it...More Room for Skyfall and Bond 24...

Didn't realize we had six year olds on these forums.

im sorry but there is no good redeeming qualities of QOS...it is terrible and i thought
    id rather save some space for an actual Bond Film
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 40,473
    002 wrote:
    i watched QOS agian in the blu ray boxset and i took it out and shreeded it...More Room for Skyfall and Bond 24...

That's mature.

If you truly hate the film, you would trade it in, give it away, set it aside - not tear it up. That's pathetic.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    002 wrote:

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    002 wrote:

im sorry but there is no good redeeming qualities of QOS...it is terrible and i thought

And yet you didn't shred DAD with it?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    002 wrote:

That's mature.

If you truly hate the film, you would trade it in, give it away, set it aside - not tear it up. That's pathetic.

1) you cant trade in something if its part of a boxset, i've tried it with other stuff
    2) most of my friends hate the film so giving it away makes it hard
    3) QOS caused many motionsickness events
    4) The Film itself is terrible- extremely motionsickness editing, incoherrent plot (Seriously the villian wants to control Oil...oh hang on he wants control on the countries water supply? WTF), worst bond villian (Seriously Kamal Khan had a bit of meance this guy is just a euro trash villian who wants a couple of extra dollars on peoples waterbills) , the bond girls are uinteresting, the most forgettable henchman in the entire 50 years- Elvis remember him? and the whole thing feels like a Jason Bourne film

I didnt shred DAD because atleast it had 1 or 2 good things about it:
    * Rosmund Pike
    * The PTS
    * Pierce Brosnan and Judi Dench's performances
    edited January 2013 Posts: 40,473
    @002, you negated to tackle me telling you to set it aside. Shows a little bit of maturity by doing that. I've bought films before on a whim that ended up being bad, and I either traded them in or set them aside.

Have you seen 'Cloverfield'? I don't recall any 'motion sickness' reports from QoS, but that's all I heard people complain about from that film. I wouldn't say the plot is incoherent, you just don't understand what the villain's aim is. And yes, I remember Elvis. Because I watched the film. Anyone who watched and paid attention to the film would remember him.

Jason Bourne =/= James Bond. Don't even bother comparing the two, it's such an old argument. What makes it Jason Bourne? The fist fight in the hotel room? Bond and Renard have a fist fight in the sub in the finale of TWINE - no Bourne comparison there. Is it the boat chase? LALD had a boat chase - no Bourne comparison there. It sure isn't the Tosca scene that gives off a Bourne vibe, because almost everyone I've spoken with loved that scene. It isn't the cop fight, because that was way too fast. It wasn't the airplane battle, because that doesn't happen in the Bourne films. It wasn't the gunfight/fistfight in the finale, because that's pretty reminiscent of the embassy scene in CR. So, where's the 'it felt too much like Bourne'? comparison? It just seems like something people want to cling on to when they hated the film.

If that's the case, SF is too much like 'Taken 2' because there is a Turkey rooftop chase.
  • @002 And I don't know what you're still doing here. This is an appreciation thread. Try again somewhere your negative opinions can be accepted.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    002 wrote:
    the whole thing feels like a Jason Bourne film

Yep, another one with no substantial argument, fellas.

By the way, @002, this is an appreciation thread, so take the pre-school act and hit the road. Come back when you are potty trained.
    @002 And I don't know what you're still doing here. This is an appreciation thread. Try again somewhere your negative opinions can be accepted.

ah yes an appreciation thread- remember when people would have appreciation threads for Pierce Brosnan or his films and everyone would critises them...talk about double standards
    002 wrote:
    @002 And I don't know what you're still doing here. This is an appreciation thread. Try again somewhere your negative opinions can be accepted.

ah yes an appreciation thread- remember when people would have appreciation threads for Pierce Brosnan or his films and everyone would critises them...talk about double standards

You point out something that someone else did. And in that appreciation thread, I'm sure the same was stated to that person. If not, it should have been.

Either way, we haven't done that, and since you've already pointed out the hypocrisy, why continue to do it? You hate the film, so please leave the 'Appreciation' thread.
    002 wrote:

I can't control peoples' actions. But you just did exactly what you complained about, so double standards and all that back at you.
  • The style in QOS is ahead of its time, at argued by many.

The musical score was carefuly crafted to fit each scene and the mood. The last scene between Bond and M really set the tone of their deep relationship. Many of M's attributes were so settled here in this film that they were carried over for SF despite Sam Mendes aiming for a complete severance from Marc Foster's motifs (i.e. "that would be unprofessional" or the mother-son relationship).

The style in QOS is ahead of its time, at argued by many.

The musical score was carefuly crafted to fit each scene and the mood. The last scene between Bond and M really set the tone of their deep relationship. Many of M's attributes were so settled here in this film that they were carried over for SF despite Sam Mendes aiming for a complete severance from Marc Foster's motifs (i.e. "that would be unprofessional" or the mother-son relationship).

That's quite ironic, considering M's relationship is more maternal in Skyfall than it is in CR and QoS combined.

• [/quote]

That's quite ironic, considering M's relationship is more maternal in Skyfall than it is in CR and QoS combined. [/quote]

QOS set the tone of the mother-son relationship with Bond first hinting at it in the plane with Camille. During the last scene when he didn't have anyone else with whom he was close to speak with after confronting Yusef. The relationship was definitely more visibly maternal but this idea kinda started a bit earlier before getting expanded upon.
    I don't think Bond was referring to M. Camille asked him why he was after Greene, and she wanted to know if it was because of a woman. If anyone, it was Vesper he was referring to, but chose his mom to be smart about it. That's how I have looked at it. The scene doesn't make sense if he is referring to M.
  • Hmm....I always thought he was referring to the incident of how M was almost shot at the beginning but I guess not!

No wonder he smirks after saying so.
    QoS is a flawed but decent effort made in difficult circumstances. I actually prefer it to CR and enjoyed it a lot more then SF. But then I don't think there's been a really classic Bond movie made since TLD.
  • RC7RC7
    I don't think Bond was referring to M. Camille asked him why he was after Greene, and she wanted to know if it was because of a woman. If anyone, it was Vesper he was referring to, but chose his mom to be smart about it. That's how I have looked at it. The scene doesn't make sense if he is referring to M.

He's referring to M.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 135
    Getafix wrote:
    QoS is a flawed but decent effort made in difficult circumstances. I actually prefer it to CR and enjoyed it a lot more then SF. But then I don't think there's been a really classic Bond movie made since TLD.

I really enjoy QoS, and it's in my top 10 but I do think that QoS is Craig's weakest. The only thing it has better than SF IMO is the bond girls. I LOVE both Camille and Fields. SF was lacking in the bond girl department.
    It's hard for me to count M or Moneypenny as bond girls
    QOS did have some very good moments, though far too brief.........it was a shame that Marc Forster, as he has stated, deliberatley wanted to confuse people.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......................people complained of headaches and nausea watching the film.
    Why didnt Forster focus his cameras on the action, and why didnt his editors hold onto a shot for more than 0.000000000000000000000000001 of a second.

A great shame as the other 2 Craig films have been crackers.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,494
    MrBond wrote:
    I thought maybe I'd been a bit harsh on QOS and I gave it a rewatch. I tried to not focus on the stuff I didn't like. And.....
    I really enjoyed it

Say what?! That is a really good surprise, welcome to the club!

I think I'd rank it around the 10 to 15 mark now. It really surprised me.

I knew when you ranked it below DAD that someday, you would come to your senses :)

QOS has its flaws and it is not nearly as good as CR, however I find it quite good overall and much better than people think it is. The scheme of the villain, while not completely original, is certainly in the Bond universe innovative enough, it has nasty villains, vulnerable Bond girls and a few beautiful settings.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    QOS has its flaws and it is not nearly as good as CR, however I find it quite good overall and much better than people think it is. The scheme of the villain, while not completely original, is certainly in the Bond universe innovative enough, it has nasty villains, vulnerable Bond girls and a few beautiful settings.

I think the "over-directed" style of QoS was quite shocking to people on first viewing - especially coming after the extremely well-directed CR - and that led a lot of people to dismiss it. I'll admit it played much better to me on the second viewing, especially as I was sitting much farther back in the theatre so I could make more sense of the visuals! As I always say, this is the first movie that I've seen where rather than seeing a "director's cut" I wish they would one day release a "non-director's cut"!

However, 20 years from now, I think that people will appreciate how it's different from CR and SF so there will be some interesting variety to Craig's tenure. It's easier to appreciate that when you can watch all an actor's films in a short period of time rather than having to wait years for the next film.

• DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    I didn't remember it, but having gone back and seen it, I enjoyed it the second time. I like the girl and her revenge plot, I like the settings. The action sequence in the plane drags a bit, but it's a cool movie. And I like the opening titles. The Jack White and Alicia Keys song is badass.
    Ludovico wrote:

I think the "over-directed" style of QoS was quite shocking to people on first viewing - especially coming after the extremely well-directed CR - and that led a lot of people to dismiss it. I'll admit it played much better to me on the second viewing, especially as I was sitting much farther back in the theatre so I could make more sense of the visuals! As I always say, this is the first movie that I've seen where rather than seeing a "director's cut" I wish they would one day release a "non-director's cut"!

However, 20 years from now, I think that people will appreciate how it's different from CR and SF so there will be some interesting variety to Craig's tenure. It's easier to appreciate that when you can watch all an actor's films in a short period of time rather than having to wait years for the next film.

There are a few actions cenes I quite enjoyed in QOS, some I enjoyed less. I thought the chace scene after the credit looked too much like a rehash of the one in CR, so I was not impressed. What I particularly enjoyed about the movie are the dialogues, what we started learning about Quantum and the scheme.
    I agree. Its a shame the dialogue couldn't have been expanded more to include more explanation about Quantum and their scheme. I wouldn't mind if the film were a little bit longer.
    Quantum07 wrote:
    I agree. Its a shame the dialogue couldn't have been expanded more to include more explanation about Quantum and their scheme. I wouldn't mind if the film were a little bit longer.

It needed about 10 minutes more I think.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    002 wrote:

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    002 wrote:

The final two scenes redeem the entire film. Watch it again.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    echo wrote:

The final two scenes redeem the entire film.
    Totally.

• The best thing about Quantum of Solace is Daniel Craig. He's what makes the film (almost) work

Not since Dalton have we had such a tangible James Bond who brings some much needed steel and reality to the part

Serious and no nonsense Bond, as while it has some good action sequences and keeps the interest here and there, it's arguably the weakest of the Craig trilogy thus far and as a whole, one of the weakest entries of the last 30 years of the Bond franchise. I'm not here to castigate it, as I realize this is an appreciation thread, but I didn't enjoy it for the most part. But there are some redeeming qualities evident, as with all Bond films anyone may not enjoy too much

There's no such thing as a hated Bond release, or total abomination, and this is just such an example
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The best thing about Quantum of Solace is Daniel Craig.

His tireless efforts during this film's shoot were nothing less than amazing.