The Big Space Exploration Topic [21-08-2017: Total Solar Eclipse in the USA!]

Comments

• edited October 2016 Posts: 11,119
    I'm gonna miss my buddy Barack :-). In 20 years from now I will read this article again....:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/11/opinions/america-will-take-giant-leap-to-mars-barack-obama/index.html
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He is your buddy? I dropped all pathological liars from my own budy list.
    If space is expanding, what is it expanding into? Is it not infinite after all?
    If space is expanding, what is it expanding into? Is it not infinite after all?

A question beyond our understanding ;-).
    It actually isn t . The cosmology and dictionary are both flawed. Infinity isn t a reality, but a process. BS in English.
    Hold your breath dear forummembers! Yesterday, ESA's ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter Probe has released its Schiaparelli Lander at 2:42 PM GMT :-)! When everything goes well, the Lander will land on Mars this Thursday, more or less at the same time (October 20th). It is only a lander, and not a rover, and it will mostly serve as a 'test' for ESA's future gigantic ExoMars Rover. But it does have some interesting stuff onboard:
    ExoMars2016_EDM_interior_annotated_20151028.jpg
    ExoMars_2016_Schiaparelli_descent_sequence.jpg

In red you'll find the landing spot of the Schiaparelli Lander. When everything goes well, it will be measuring the atmosphere of Mars during the dust storm season.....and on Mars too:
    Mars_landing_sites_2014.jpg

To read more about the mission, go to these websites:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiaparelli_EDM_lander
    http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/ExoMars/Live_updates_ExoMars_arrival_and_landing

To warm you up a bit, here are fresh new pictures from NASA's Curiosity Rover:

Panorama of 'Wharton Ridge':
    PIA20850.jpg

Curiosity Self-Portrait at 'Murray Buttes':
    PIA20844.jpg
    A small update: It will land on Mars 3:48 PM GMT (which is 4:48 PM GMT+1). It'll get exciting if this attempt from ESA (and Roscosmos) will be successful.
    It seems the Schiaparelli Lander didn't make it :-(. Another failure for ESA.
    Stunning photo's
    So sad about the loss of the Schiaparelli Lander :-(.

Still, the New Horizons probe keeps sending better and better pictures of the binary Pluto-Charon system. This is the sharpest picture yet of Pluto:
    PIA21061.jpg
    PIA21026.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,539
    Sad news. Opportunities lost.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Sad news. Opportunities lost.

But to stay a bit happy, this is the descent video of the Mars Curiosity back in 2012. From the moment the heat shield is removed until its incredible landing. It is nothing short of stunning :-). With real sound. What I still find stunning as of today, is how these NASA-people managed to get a package the size of a large pick-up truck on this planet. It's even way more difficult than a small Schiaparelli Lander. Or it should be:

• edited October 2016 Posts: 7,653
    As a Martian you will be wondering by now who is bombing your planet. But stay away from earth you know our bacillus will kill you dead.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    As a Martian you will be wondering by now who is bombing your planet. But stay away from earth you know our bacillus will kill you dead.

Have you seen the video @SaintMark?
    That is an example of the colour orange/reddish I actually like these days. ;)

Have seen the video, as a Martian I would be complaining about littering in my back yard.
    The Juno probe made a new picture of Jupiter's south pole. Though in essence it's actually a 'jupiterrise'. The contrast with the stars makes the picture even more beautiful:

PIA21108.jpg
    Hope you guys like it :-).
    As a kid I would borrow any astronomy book I could find in the library. Love those pictures.
    As a kid I would borrow any astronomy book I could find in the library. Love those pictures.

Have you seen the Mars Curiosity video descent @Thunderfinger?

Yes, I watched it.
    Here's a nice video of the Huygens probe descent onto the surface of Saturn's moon Titan:

An astonishing picture of the binary Charon-Pluto system. This is not a made-up composite. The probe New Horizons photographed this composite exactly this way:

PIA19966.jpg
  • Finally, a picture in true color of our dwarf planet Ceres :-). Note the beige color:

PIA21079.jpg

Our solar system is truly stunning. Here you'll find the size chart of all 8 planets (Mercury, Venus, Terra -commonly known as Earth-, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune) and 2 dwarf planets (Ceres, and the binary system Pluto/Charon) in comparison with our start, Sol (also known as: Sun):
    e8e2faf29f310ee3d7519f212ff9d33c.jpg

And a comparison with the degree of tilt of every (dwarf) planet:
    Astrologyplanetsinsolarsystem.jpg

And here a simplified size chart, which includes all known dwarf planets in the Kuiper Belt (Haumea, Makemake & Eris, but without Quaoar & Sedna):
    sgas_planetsizes.jpg

In case you wonder how many objects (dwarf planets) humans have discovered in the Kuiper Belt so far, this chart will give you a good idea:
    KuiperBelt.jpg
    Interesting. Thanks for that.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I like this thread a lot. The world beyond ours is a world that has always fascinated me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Loving this! Thank you, @Gustav_Graves!
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Loving this! Thank you, @Gustav_Graves!

Thanks @DarthDimi ;-). This topic brings so much positivity to the forum no ;-)? I am a big big astronomy/astrobiology/space-exploration nerd hehe. And I'm proud of it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Pluto has a moon? When did this happen??
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,119
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Pluto has a moon? When did this happen??

You're kidding no? :P

Actually, Pluto and Charon cirle around a 'barycenter', a point of gravity that's not located within Pluto. So in a way Charon isn't a moon, and Pluto isn't a moon either. Officially, Pluto and Charon form a 'binary dwarf planet system', the 'Pluto-Charon binary dwarf planet system'.