The Big Space Exploration Topic [21-08-2017: Total Solar Eclipse in the USA!]

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Can't wait!! :-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The mysterious white spots of our dwarf planet Ceres seen closer than ever. What can they be??
    pia19559-1041.jpg
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Just have a look at these astonishing videos:

Zooming in on Saturn's moon Titan. It is our solar system's 2nd largest moon. As you might have known already, Titan has got lakes, rivers and seas that are filled with a thick, oily, liquid mixture of ethane and methane. It also rains, but the methane/ethane drops are as large as tennis balls:

PIA17031-990x943.jpg

Last week's sunset on Mars, live webcam-recording from NASA's Curiosity Rover. It gives you a good idea what astronauts can expect when they land on Mars around 2035. The sun on Mars appears to be almost 50% smaller as on Earth. During sunset, the sky is rose in color, but in the vicinity of the setting Sun it is blue. This is the opposite of the situation on Earth:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=52&v=f8Z7HqSW_4o
    MarsSunset.jpg

Only two more months, and then our reddish dwarf planet Pluto will be revealed to us in clear and crisp HD pictures by NASA's New Horizons probe. Expect Pluto's moon Charon to be very large on the horizon. Pluto and Charon actually form binary system because the barycenter of their orbits does not lie within either body. Pluto's other moons are Nix, Hydra, Kerberos, and Styx. In the meanwhile, here's an artist concept of what to expect:
    ESO-L._Cal%C3%A7ada_-_Pluto_%28by%29.jpg
    Pluto_moon_P5_discovery_with_moons%27_orbits.jpg

In the meanwhile NASA probe Dawn continues to baffle scientists. The bright wide spots on dwarf planet Ceres seem to be created by sunlight reflecting on ice or salts. But scientists are not certain yet, as the spots keep reflecting white light when they are turned away from the sun. This picture is the closest one so far of Ceres' surface and its white spots:
    pia19559-1041.jpg
    pia19547-1041b.gif?itok=OHqiJhns
    Amazing stuff!

A 14 year old daughter of a preacher asked me today, "How can you believe those things?" Rather than trying to apply logic, I dug up my Astronomy textbook and said, "Oh, I just read it in a book."

I took her angry grim as a sign of defeat. Darn bibliots.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Amazing stuff!

A 14 year old daughter of a preacher asked me today, "How can you believe those things?" Rather than trying to apply logic, I dug up my Astronomy textbook and said, "Oh, I just read it in a book."

I took her angry grim as a sign of defeat. Darn bibliots.

Well, I always try to start the discussion with such a kid then :-). Just look at the stars.....and then believe they are there :-).

By the way, do you think we'll witness the first humans on Mars before 2040? NASA is now taking things very seriously with this website:
    http://www.nasa.gov/topics/journeytomars/index.html
    I think the amount of obstacles to overcome is virtually endless. I want them to get there; I'm just not sure we ever will. :-)
    I think the amount of obstacles to overcome is virtually endless. I want them to get there; I'm just not sure we ever will. :-)

I think we will. It's only a matter of time. Maximum three decades from now. In my own honest humble opinion, I think the biggest obstacle is: Money. Back in the 1960's this "we go to the Moon"-theme was resonating so loudly, that, whatever kind of dangers lay ahead, people just "did" it. Money was easily found, US Airforce pilots were trained within a decade to visit the Moon. No matter how dangerous it was. Sadly, that......boundless, passionate quest for exploration seems to be...gone within the NASA. And instead this passion lives more in countries like China or Russia.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    It is truly amazing what we can now do as a world.

If we do not destroy our own world before we have the ability to leave our world.

So what do you think of the Mars One initiative? Doomed to failure?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited June 2015 Posts: 45,489
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 11,119
    As you might have known already, ESA is at the moment conducting space research at comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko. The Rosetta probe made these astonishing landscape pictures of this weirdly shaped comet. The cliffs you are seeing are mostly 900 m's high....:

ESA_Rosetta_NAVCAM_20141023_enhanced.jpg?1433208746
    Comet_closeup_19_October_2014_NavCam.jpg?1433207962
    67p_surface.png?1433209350
    Hatmehit.png?1433208462
    comet-67p-8-km.jpg?1422382508

And this is the entire topography of the comet from a larger distance:
    esa-rosetta-osiris-regions.jpg?1422382205
    960x540.jpg
    Rosetta-over-Cork-Day.jpg?resize=2560%2C1640

Here are some picture in stunning true color. Notice the dark-brown colors:
    r1331550_18520039.jpg
    15495490861_3259bbd95e_b.jpg
    ESA_Rosetta_OSIRIS_reflectivity-1017x1024.jpg

And in this picture you can see how....dangerous this comet actually is. What you see there are the violent jets of ice/rocks, that are created when parts of the comet start facing the sun. Those jets are responsible for creating the coma....and the eventual tail:
    16332709789_d4da014891_o.jpg
    ESA_Rosetta_OSIRISwac_20141122.jpg
    comet-67p-january-31-2015.jpg?1423681122
    Comet67P_NavCamFeb3.jpg
    thanks for those beautiful images.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    thanks for those beautiful images.

They are flabbergastingly beautiful no? I was stunned myself when I saw them.
    More news about dwarf planet Ceres. And this time the mystery about the white spots is getting bigger. Below picture is among the first and closest snapshots from Dawn's second mapping orbit, which is 2,700 miles (4,400 kilometers) in altitude. The resolution is 1,400 feet (410 meters) per pixel. Upcoming months the Dawn space probe will descent to even lower altitudes.

pia19568_main-1041.jpg
    Anyone?
    Guys? Only three more weeks, NASA's New Horizons will arive at the binary Pluto-Charon-system and its moons. To prepare for that, one HAS to see the following video, which includes realistic pictures made into a movie roll:

If you want to see more of these astonishing pictures and videos of our incredible solar system? Then please bookmark this website: http://www.erikwernquist.com/wanderers/
    Anyone?

Here the newest picture of Pluto and Charon. You can now distinguish the two celestial bodies as clear circular objects.

lor_0297168703_0x630_sci_1.jpg
    First color images of Pluto and Charon! Remember, both Pluto and Charon share the same center of gravity, the so called 'barycenter'. So they are actually a binary system, instead of a dwarf planet with moon:

loop_bc_final.gif

You can see that Pluto has almost the same color as Mars, rusty-red towards beige. And Charon is more dark-brown-ish.
    Did anyone see the pictures?
    I was the only one, but I loved them.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Hold the presses!

Only 14 days left, and NASA's New Horizons probe will have its flyby with the Pluto-Charon-system. And have a look at these pictures. They are already becoming muchhh clearer:

pluto-charon1.jpg?resize=600%2C400
    2A1C467800000578-3144469-image-a-6_1435672866038.jpg

Especially the video is dramatic, as you can see now much clearer how close Pluto's moon Charon is orbiting Pluto! Also, Pluto seems to have very bright, as well as very dark spots. Same goes for Charon.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I'm absolutely stunned. NEW color pictures of Charon and Pluto. It must be an magnificent and dramatic sight to see Charon from the surface of Pluto. Charon is almost 10 times closer to Pluto as compared to our Moon to Earth:

7-1-15_Pluto_Charon_color_hemispheres_unannotated_JHUAPL_NASA_SWRI.jpg
    7-1-15_Pluto_Charon_color_hemispheres_annotated_JHUAPL_NASA_SWRI.jpg
    dnews-files-2015-07-pluto-movie-670x440-150701-gif.gif
    Truly amazing! Magnificent images. How I wish I would be able to get there (in perfectly safe conditions of course), away from the madness that people call Earth.
    Truly amazing! Magnificent images. How I wish I would be able to get there (in perfectly safe conditions of course), away from the madness that people call Earth.

Yeah, I really think it's time again for another giant leap for mankind :-(. Before 2040 it'll happen though: First humans on Mars ;-).
    New pictures!
    pluto-nieuw.png?resize=848%2C589
    vinger.jpg?resize=848%2C452

The big question: What are those dark fingerprint-markings on Pluto??
    Well, we had a pretty rough party last week and didn't really now where to put the trash, so...

Just joking. ;-)
    I'm interested too, @Gustav! So many mysteries yet to explore.
    Unfortunately half the world prefers to fight wars and the other half cares more about USA Got Talent. Only a minor few are lucky enough to care about what lies outside our pitiful little globe.