Is Die Another Day suddenly loosing its gloss and appeal?

12346»

Comments

BAIN123 wrote: »
    It lost its appeal 5 minutes into the film at the cinema.

Let me guess? "Saved by the bell"

I seem to be one of the few who find the hovercraft chase itself really boring.

It's a dreadful film from start to finish but Toby stephens actualy livens IT up a lot. His performance is awful in many ways but combined with all the other outlandish elements it brings that 'so bad it's good' quality to the screen. Car crash movie making. You should look away but can't tear your eyes away from the gruesomeness unfolding infront of you.
  • Lee Tamahori seems to make a lot of...ehhh....'gangsta style' movies. From these three films, "The Devil's Double", "xXx 2: State Of The Union" and "Die Another Day", I do find "The Devils' Double" the best film.
  • Lost it's appeal in the cinema for me. Alright up to the credits sequence and the sword fight is good. It has definitely being the most disappointing first view of a Bond film. Having said that I was quite underwhelmed seeing Skyfall the first time, but that was cos of the hype, still a good Bond film was just expecting more.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    For me, DAD hasn't lost any appeal- I'd seen all the previous films by then to compare, and was well aware of its flaws after both cinema viewings. I knew it was too OTT, the CGI crap, and the Aston's technology too ahead of its time to appear (no pun) plausible. None of this stopped me from having a hell of a lot of fun. If anything, it has gained more appeal in my eyes, as analyzing it in retrospect, it was the first film to touch upon Bond being captured long term. It has some stand out moments: the PTS is pretty cool; the Blades fight is unique; Bond's scenes with M are certainly nothing to complain about, and his meeting with Raoul is very Bondian. The film will no doubt remain in the bottom five, but I always enjoy watching it for what it is. I like the fact that we have a few OTT entries in the canon I can switch off to, although when it boils down to it, I do get more of a kick out of the more 'realistic', cerebral films like FRWL, TLD etc.
    Cerebral?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    QBranch wrote: »
    For me, DAD hasn't lost any appeal- I'd seen all the previous films by then to compare, and was well aware of its flaws after both cinema viewings. I knew it was too OTT, the CGI crap, and the Aston's technology too ahead of its time to appear (no pun) plausible. None of this stopped me from having a hell of a lot of fun. If anything, it has gained more appeal in my eyes, as analyzing it in retrospect, it was the first film to touch upon Bond being captured long term. It has some stand out moments: the PTS is pretty cool; the Blades fight is unique; Bond's scenes with M are certainly nothing to complain about, and his meeting with Raoul is very Bondian. The film will no doubt remain in the bottom five, but I always enjoy watching it for what it is. I like the fact that we have a few OTT entries in the canon I can switch off to, although when it boils down to it, I do get more of a kick out of the more 'realistic', cerebral films like FRWL, TLD etc.

A great review. Having a film in the lower half of the ranking or even near the bottom doesn't mean it's bad. There is no such thing as a bad Bond movie.
    Your description is spot-on.

The James Bond franchise without the OTT entries would not be the same or maybe not even here anymore!
    Who is silly enough to voluntary want to relinquish movies like Moonraker, Die Another Day, The Spy Who Loved Me or Octopussy or even Diamonds Are Forever!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Well... Moonraker..... 8-|
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Cerebral?
    That's not the correct word I'm looking for, but the films that provide a more intelligent, mature, complex plot and dialogue. The ones that seem to have had a lot of thought put in, and therefore make the viewer think- not feel like it's being dumb-downed for them. An 'if they don't understand it, so be it' kind of thing.
    A great review. Having a film in the lower half of the ranking or even near the bottom doesn't mean it's bad. There is no such thing as a bad Bond movie.
    Your description is spot-on.

The James Bond franchise without the OTT entries would not be the same or maybe not even here anymore!
    Who is silly enough to voluntary want to relinquish movies like Moonraker, Die Another Day, The Spy Who Loved Me or Octopussy or even Diamonds Are Forever!
    Cheers, @BondJasonBond006. Sometimes I may come across as being easily pleased- not having a favourite/least favourite Bond film, actor etc., though I can't help but embrace it all. DAF is my least-watched film, and I want to say least favourite, but it's Sean's tongue-in-cheek humour alone that keeps me entertained. It's quite amusing- a highlight is when he's playing around with the audio cassette, and a pissed off Dr. Metz snatches it off him like he's a child that's too inquisitive.

Anyway, back to DAD- the ice palace seems to get a lot of flack here. It's not the lair that sucks, it's the CGI destruction of it. For some reason the geo-dome/diamond mine scene reminds me a bit of Alec chasing Bond on the cradle and running around the dish with Natalya and all the foliage in the background. Also, giving a spy an invisible car is a brilliant idea, but for 2002, it was way too soon- and still is now. The main problem is, the general public will probably never be allowed to get their hands on that kind of technology, let alone learn how it works officially, therefore it's destined to remain to be seen as a thing of science fiction- or more to the point, unbelievable.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well, Top Gear did a test on a truck as to how to get a vehicle invisible. I believe Q also explained how it is done, even though, I believe the car is worth more than Billy Gates' estate. Mini-cameras one after another forming the the plate for the Aston... Definitely a high tech something that isn't allowed for public use...
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    @Clarkdevlin and @BondJasonBond

I think the fans of DAD have perfectly clear that was a film to not take very seriously and it was accepted when it was released but things changed so fast and now almost evryone hates it.

Like i said the whole Brosnan era could have had better scripts but it wasn't a goal while Pierce took the part because action flickd didn't ask for it at those days.
    No one expected for cinemma to change so drastically that soon.