Is Die Another Day suddenly loosing its gloss and appeal?

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Skyfall having had gloss and appeal????

248e7a6f42706af8565349b73b2e89a2.jpg

laughable, Skyfall is the only Bond movie that has no appeal at all and certainly nothing glossy about it as well. It's a serious, gritty, slow-paced, melodramatic, soap-opera with beautiful looks and a few action scenes.
    Ok, stop...it appeals to young nerd-like hipsters and young women who want to be taught they can't have a job in the man's world and belong behind the desk doing simple paperwork.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Skyfall having had gloss and appeal????

laughable, Skyfall is the only Bond movie that has no appeal at all and certainly nothing glossy about it as well. It's a serious, gritty, slow-paced, melodramatic, soap-opera with beautiful looks and a few action scenes.
    Ok, stop...it appeals to young nerd-like hipsters and young women who want to be taught they can't have a job in the man's world and belong behind the desk doing simple paperwork.

30-rock-broom-there-there.gif

P.S. Learn how to use the quote function correctly.
    There is only one parody in the Bond franchise and that is Diamonds Are Forever.

Die Another Day is over-the-top, almost comic adaption like fun. And that's good.
    But I get that the anti-Brosnan fraction is in desperate need for a movie to bash that has Brosnan in it and DAD is the only one that can be bashed without loosing all credibility at once.
    There is only one parody in the Bond franchise and that is Diamonds Are Forever.

Die Another Day is over-the-top, almost comic adaption like fun. And that's good.
    But I get that the anti-Brosnan fraction is in desperate need for a movie to bash that has Brosnan in it and DAD is the only one that can be bashed without loosing all credibility at once.

Comedy gold
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DAF, DAD or the post?
    DAF, DAD or the post?

all three
    :))
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,512

DAF had Connery, Barry, Bassey, Adam and Hamilton. That alone adds a level of class money can't buy. Yeah, it's bizarre, bloated, even surreal, but it's unmistakably a Bond pic and, for me, a very enjoyable romp. I will defend DAD, it has it's moments, but DAF is leagues ahead. It's an over-sized portion of Foie Gras to DAD's Happy Meal with a shit toy.

Also, @Gustav_Graves, can you please change the thread title to 'Losing', rather than 'Loosing'. Thank you mate.
    RC7 wrote: »

DAF had Connery, Barry, Bassey, Adam and Hamilton. That alone adds a level of class money can't buy. Yeah, it's bizarre, bloated, even surreal, but it's unmistakably a Bond pic and, for me, a very enjoyable romp. I will defend DAD, it has it's moments, but DAF is leagues ahead. It's an over-sized portion of Foie Gras to DAD's Happy Meal with a shit toy.

Also, @Gustav_Graves, can you please change the thread title to 'Losing', rather than 'Loosing'. Thank you mate.

Ah yes, those typical grammar and spelling errors people make who's first language isn't English. It happens to me too, although I really try hard not to fall into a spelling or grammar trap.

You are right about DAF having all those classic elements. That is the reason why DAF is not a bad movie at all. It is just the least good one (for me and many people).
    Even when you have 23 good movies in a list, one has to be at the bottom.
  • RC7RC7
    I don't make lists, so I wouldn't really know.
  • Any "gloss and appeal" that DAD had ever enjoyed is completely undeserved and stupid. It makes moonraker seem like a good movie
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Any "gloss and appeal" that DAD had ever enjoyed is completely undeserved and stupid. It makes moonraker seem like a good movie

I personally am in agreement. MR blows DAD out of the water in every possible way imho.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Any "gloss and appeal" that DAD had ever enjoyed is completely undeserved and stupid. It makes moonraker seem like a good movie

I personally am in agreement. MR blows DAD out of the water in every possible way imho.

Although MR doesn't need a comparable movie to make it 'seem' good. It does what it does beautifully and is a damn good romp of a movie. Anyone who can't have fun with MR needs a pint and possibly a slap.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    DAD having had gloss and appeal????

=))
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited September 2015 Posts: 5,080
    Nah, sorry, it's not just the "anti-Brosnan" faction of the forum that hates the film. It's the majority of the goddamn forum, and we are entirely justified in doing so.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It never had anything in the first place and no everyone didn't love it at the cinema. I remember at the time thinking well it's just a typical Brosnan pretty average and nothing special, it was only when I caught the DVD some months later I realised how bloody awful it was.

Skyfall is a masterpiece in comparison and I'd watch QOS in a heartbeat over this which is the lowest point of the series. His previous entries were pretty bad but Brosnan even managed to top the awfulness of Connery's swan song, quite a feat really.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Reading all these, I really don't know what to say... Perhaps people no longer appreciate some escapist fun films... Ah well... Not that it holds me back from appreciating what DAD is. Sure, I've lots of problems with it, but I still like it.
  • RC7RC7
    Reading all these, I really don't know what to say... Perhaps people no longer appreciate some escapist fun films... Ah well... Not that it holds me back from appreciating what DAD is. Sure, I've lots of problems with it, but I still like it.

I'm with you. I don't really have a problem with it. Perhaps neither of us take ourselves too seriously.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I'm with you. I don't really have a problem with it. Perhaps neither of us take ourselves too seriously.
    If I can have fun with FYEO's PTS, and Jaws dropping a rock on his foot in TSWLM, I can damn well enjoy an invisible car. Not every Bond movie can be CR serious. And not every one has to be for me.

chrisisall wrote: »

If I can have fun with FYEO's PTS, and Jaws dropping a rock on his foot in TSWLM, I can damn well enjoy an invisible car. Not every Bond movie can be CR serious. And not every one has to be for me.
    Well, at least that makes three of us so far.
    meme-happy-guy-thumbs.gif
    I love the invisible car, it suited the overall sci-fi tone of DAD very well.
    The PTS of FYEO? Just bloody great, especially the graveyard scene.
    Jaws being clumsy, priceless!
    Laser fight in MR or tank chase in GE, I love it.

Movies should entertain, make one forget their worries, and make one leave the cinema in good spirits. Then the producers of a film did something right.

If I want to see something depressing I go and watch Mystic Rivers, Million Dollar Baby or Carrington. All great movies.
    We happen to share the same ideology there. Rather good analysis.
  • If I want to see something depressing I go and watch Mystic Rivers, Million Dollar Baby or Carrington. All great movies.

Darling @BondJasonBond006 ;-). You should add some 'great depressing' Bond films to that list as well ;-):

--> FRWL
    --> OHMSS
    --> FYEO
    --> LTK
    --> CR

Movies should entertain, make one forget their worries, and make one leave the cinema in good spirits. Then the producers of a film did something right.

If I want to see something depressing I go and watch Mystic Rivers, Million Dollar Baby or Carrington. All great movies.

Problem is that DAD left a lot of Bond fans really depressed
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I also think the hate Die Another day gets is unfair.

Sure the script could have been better but like somere said this film works fine to have fun a few hours and end up in with a good mood.
    And like Jason here has said many times seems like all hate isbecause of the bad CGI in one scene but apart from that is one of the most visually stunning films in the series.

Especially the ice palace and the car chase in the ice and the invisible car.
    Getafix wrote: »

Problem is that DAD left a lot of Bond fans really depressed

not where I live, but maybe the Swiss are all happy-go-lucky people

;)
  • Don't we like this discussion a lot :-P? It gives a bit more breathable air to our current 007, Daniel Craig :-P.
    Nah, sorry, it's not just the "anti-Brosnan" faction of the forum that hates the film. It's the majority of the goddamn forum, and we are entirely justified in doing so.
    Which is my least favourite Bond move? MR. I almost bought the BD of it the other day... see, I don't hate my least favourite Bond movie- I'm just taking my time getting back 'round to it again. How in the world can you "hate" a Bond movie?

:-??
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    No, DAD's criticisms are not unfair.
    No, DAD's criticisms are not unfair.
    Of course they're not unfair... I simply posit the the hate is.

;)
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    @BondJasonBond006 - I have to call it like I see it; you have been acting way too me vs. them when it comes to opinions. I despise reading posts that seek nothing but to validate one's opinion over another. No one is right because it's purely subjective. All it does is make yourself a lightning rod and lose credibility, which is a real shame because you are a good member.

The whole point of discussing opinions is to share your view points to come to a greater understanding. I have never thought Die Another Day had gloss or appeal. As previously stated, I had to watch it twice to even follow everything that happened. It's not a film that can easily be categorized as a parody or fun when the beginning of it attempts to be a legitimate mission. The last time I saw it, it felt like I was watching two separate films.

Bless @Getafix for never losing gloss and appeal. I enjoyed your posts in this thread as much as the Skyfall thread. :)>-