No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RC7RC7
    jake24 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Apparently B25 is going into production May '18.
    Define production?

Officially kicking off, i.e. pre-production, as @ColonelSun outlined above.
    Dennison wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Looking to become the longest production schedule of any Bond film.

One other possibility: A longer than normal (by Eon standards) for post-production. Do 6-7 months of filming, which takes you to end of 2018, start of 2019 and then longer post production before release date.

True, but given DC's comments about wrist-slashing due to the struggles of filming a Bond film, and his knee injury on Spectre I suspect they're extending the shooting schedule from what is normal.

The release date for Bond 25 is November 2019, as per the Bond's since GE. The pre-production has started May/June for each of those films - a bit later with TND if I remember correctly - and shooting has commenced, on average, 5-6 months later. They won't extend the shooting by months (adding millions to their budget) because Craig got injured last time.

You have no idea mate.

You might want to rethink that statement.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    So basically as expected then, given the previously announced release date?

One other possibility: A longer than normal (by Eon standards) for post-production. Do 6-7 months of filming, which takes you to end of 2018, start of 2019 and then longer post production before release date.

True, but given DC's comments about wrist-slashing due to the struggles of filming a Bond film, and his knee injury on Spectre I suspect they're extending the shooting schedule from what is normal.

The release date for Bond 25 is November 2019, as per the Bond's since GE. The pre-production has started May/June for each of those films - a bit later with TND if I remember correctly - and shooting has commenced, on average, 5-6 months later. They won't extend the shooting by months (adding millions to their budget) because Craig got injured last time.

You have no idea mate.

Hmm, you are aware of my profession? I think you're the one with no idea, mate.

Funny man, who are you Steven Spielberg!?
    Define production?

You have no idea mate.

Why, he really hasn't a clue.
    bondjames wrote: »

Eon are sticking to their established schedule. The really tough part (and it's all tough) is that post-production is always so tight. I've many editor friends, from my days in the cutting rooms, who have worked on the Bonds since GE, and they work very very long hours, seven days a week in the last months, to meet the late Oct early Nov release dates.

Eon are sticking to their established schedule. The really tough part (and it's all tough) is that post-production is always so tight. I've many editor friends, from my days in the cutting rooms, who have worked on the Bonds since GE, and they work very very long hours, seven days a week in the last months, to meet the late Oct early Nov release dates.

'my cutting room days' - love it!
    Define production?

You have no idea mate.

Er? But everything I said re: production
    / pre-production was correct. How is that without a clue? I suspect your nose has been put out of joint. Get over it.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,031
    Define production?

You have no idea mate.

/ pre-production was correct. How is that without a clue? I suspect your nose has been put out of joint. Get over it.

Not really mate.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I recall reading about Barry complaining about this as well. I wonder why they have such a short time to pull it all together. With a large production like this, a little more time could perhaps facilitate a better final cut. Any thoughts as to why they keep it so tight?

I recall reading about Barry complaining about this as well. I wonder why they have such a short time to pull it all together. With a large production like this, a little more time could perhaps facilitate a better final cut. Any thoughts as to why they keep it so tight?

Yeah, totally agree. They really could do themselves a few favours by extending the post-production schedule. The post schedule on Bonds is notoriously short.
    Define production?

You have no idea mate.

Not really mate. Take a chill pill Max. I'm sat here with a nice cool beer, nose perfectly symmetrical and beautiful, so beautiful it belongs in Vogue Magazine.

You accused me of being clueless which sounded like an emotional reaction and like your perfect nose was, momentarily, put out of shape. Your understanding about what production actually means and your theory that Eon will add months to the shooting schedule because Craig hurt himself last time were wrong and ill informed. Simple as that. Enjoy your beer.
    Define production?

You have no idea mate.

Not really mate. Take a chill pill Max. I'm sat here with a nice cool beer, nose perfectly symmetrical and beautiful, so beautiful it belongs in Vogue Magazine.

You accused me of being clueless which sounded like an emotional reaction and like your perfect nose was, momentarily, put out of shape. Your understanding about what production actually means and your theory that Eon will add months to the shooting schedule because Craig hurt himself last time were wrong and ill informed. Simple as that. Enjoy your beer.

No, I don't think production will be that long, that's why I doubted that production would start in May 2018. I think you should calm down. If you think I was upset then fine you think that, I really honestly don't care.

Obviously you're an American, because you clearly didn't see the sarcasm in my previous comments. Please don't get uppity over something that really isn't all that important.
    Where has this May 18 date come from? First I have heard of it? Is their a link?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Where has this May 18 date come from? First I have heard of it? Is their a link?

None that I'm aware of.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512

I heard it from a two colleagues a couple of weeks back, but couldn't take it as official. The World of James Bond blog heard similar according to recent post of theirs. Given that we've both heard the same from reliable sources, I'm inclined to think it's true. Can't officially confirm, obviously, hence why I said 'apparently'. It's not unexpected, though, it tallies with a late '18, early '19 start for principal photography.

You have no idea mate.

Why are you being a twat to The Colonel?

I heard it from a two colleagues a couple of weeks back, but couldn't take it as official. The World of James Bond blog heard similar according to recent post of theirs. Given that we've both heard the same from reliable sources, I'm inclined to think it's true. Can't officially confirm, obviously, hence why I said 'apparently'. It's not unexpected, though, it tallies with a late '18, early '19 start for principal photography.

You have no idea mate.

Come again?

I think he's a legend - what you on about? He's someone who's worked in the film industry and knows what he's talking about. I was merely joking about the fact that he knows so much - you know - like he's a Spielberg - no offence was intended - in fact the opposite.

Is it my fault he can't take a compliment?!
  • RC7RC7

You have no idea mate.

Come again?

I think he's a legend - what you on about? He's someone who's worked in the film industry and knows what he's talking about. I was merely joking about the fact that he knows so much - you know - like he's a Spielberg - no offence was intended - in fact the opposite.

#bantz

You have no idea mate.

Come again?

#bantz

Absolutely - bantz.

No, it's about right for pre-production to start early summer for principle photography to start late 2018 and start of 2019.

He said production (not pre-production) was starting in May. Which prompted my comment. Please read before quoting and posting.

If they were filming by May, they would be hitting pre-production before this Xmas, in a matter of a couple of months, and crewing up now.
    In the movie industry, start of production = start of filming. It's probably pre-production that's starting in May 2018.

No, it's about right for pre-production to start early summer for principle photography to start late 2018 and start of 2019.

He said production (not pre-production) was starting in May. Which prompted my comment. Please read before quoting and posting.

If they were filming by May, they would be hitting pre-production before this Xmas, in a matter of a couple of months, and crewing up now.
    In the movie industry, start of production = start of filming. It's probably pre-production that's starting in May 2018.

This is correct.
  • RC7RC7
    As has already been said.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Define production?

You have no idea mate.

Ok, cheers.
    @RC7 You basically wrote that start of production = start of pre-production, which is nonsense. Production starts once pre-production is finished.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

You have no idea mate.

Come again?

Hm. Dubious.
  • RC7RC7
    @RC7 You basically wrote that start of production = start of pre-production, which is nonsense. Production starts once pre-production is finished.

I'm a producer, I'm aware of that, thanks Panchito.

Perhaps I should've been clearer. The intel I had stated that 'production' was to begin in May '18, but I believe they were just using that as a catchall term. It makes sense that they're going into pre-production May '18.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Good question. It's kind of silly at this point. Making these films for over 50 years and they're still subscribing to lastminutepostproduction.com. One would think after all these years they'd try to lengthen their post production period; but then again time management for EoN as of late isn't something they're terribly good at.

However, in EoN's defence post production is the least of their problems. I just hope they don't squander preproduction. They've had and still have all the time to get a great script together and that's the most important thing to get right all things considered.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Good question. It's kind of silly at this point. Making these films for over 50 years and they're still subscribing to lastminutepostproduction.com. One would think after all these years they'd try to lengthen their post production period; but then again time management for EoN as of late isn't something they're terribly good at.

However, in EoN's defence post production is the least of their problems. I just hope they don't squander preproduction. They've had and still have all the time to get a great script together and that's the most important thing to get right all things considered.

The tight post production is a sign of our times. Before digital post production speeded up the process everything physically took longer to do when working with 35mm prints ( the rushes or dailies in US) and sound stock etc., and in ten to eleven minute reels - the cutting copy - and physically laying up hundreds of sound tracks, all in reels. VFX could take a long time to get right as well. On LTK we had about eight months post, even time for a few very long lunches and a the occasional round of golf with our director - compare that to the present Bond's post schedules. I don't know any editor who wishes the post schedules were longer these days.
    Blofeld is coming back people. The Craig bond films have never been stand alone. Even Skyfall wasn't stand alone after the fact.

Bond 25 will continue the Spectre Blofeld storyline and with production starting in May I can see this being a close to 3 hour Bond film to finish the story.
    Sorry, double-post, I mean I don't know any editor who doesn't wish the schedules were longer these days.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Blofeld is coming back people. The Craig bond films have never been stand alone. Even Skyfall wasn't stand alone after the fact.

Bond 25 will continue the Spectre Blofeld storyline and with production starting in May I can see this being a close to 3 hour Bond film to finish the story.

That means a 250 million budget. It will be a big risk, but you might be right.