Comments

for me and I am sure I will get hell for this

1. Pierre Morrel
    2. Luc Besson
    3. Christopher Nolan
    4. Christopher Mcquairre
    5. Jaume Collet-Serra
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Heard from a friend that an announcement is due the beginning of August for Craig's return and the distributor.

The oracle has spoken. Maybe you can find 100 links to the same story you can spam entertain us with?
    No story. I have a friend who has confirmed this. This is what happens when you build relationships instead of always looking for a fight on a internet.

Steven soderbergh is still my bet for Bond25
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @RC7
    Your post made me excited, aroused even as a Nolan fan. Your point about Nolan's vision being more about style and aesthetic than a story arc is spot-on. And I think that, if we're honest, that's what most of us truly want now, a Bond film that comes full circle itself without leaving question marks for future films. Nolan would much sooner create the canvas on which more Bonds can be painted than a story which future Bond movies are forced to continue.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Not a chance.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Heard from a friend that an announcement is due the beginning of August for Craig's return and the distributor.

The oracle has spoken. Maybe you can find 100 links to the same story you can spam entertain us with?
    No story. I have a friend who has confirmed this. This is what happens when you build relationships instead of always looking for a fight on a internet.

Just don't scan for excuses when the first week or so of August passes with no news.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @RC7
    Your post made me excited, aroused even as a Nolan fan. Your point about Nolan's vision being more about style and aesthetic than a story arc is spot-on. And I think that, if we're honest, that's what most of us truly want now, a Bond film that comes full circle itself without leaving question marks for future films. Nolan would much sooner create the canvas on which more Bonds can be painted than a story which future Bond movies are forced to continue.

Precisely. I want a Bond film to end all Bond films. Of course they can't guarantee that, but Nolan or Campbell are the two best options. Nolan seems to have insatiable ambition which I admire. Each one of his films he is challenging himself and delving into news genres, new story structures etc. If there is someone who is going to revitalize Bond, it's probably him.

I hope WB gets the rights, as that would help along Nolan's involvement in future (or sooner?).
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Just don't scan for excuses when the first week or so of August passes with no news.
    That won't happen.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Not a chance.

Very good chance actually

Not a chance.

Very good chance actually

Steven Soderberg is a terrific director (I've worked with him myself and hugely like and respect him), but he's a maverick - he wants to experiment and do it his way or the highway - which includes lighting the film as well. He would have to be let off the leash to do a Bond film, even more so than Mendes, who is a more conventional and traditional filmmaker/storyteller. So don't bet on Soderbergh being approached by Eon. From what I hear from close associates, and big clues already dropped by Eon, the Bond 25 director is already locked - no doubt to be announced soon.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @RC7

Amen to that! I think we all want that for Bond 25, to a member.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,691
    The term 'total artistic freedom' in the Bond franchise, or any pre-existing franchise, is physically impossible (and ludicrous) in itself. It doesn't matter if you are Nolan, Spielberg, Scorsese, Tarantino, Kubrick, Coppola, Hitchcock, or whoever, it is virtually impossible for any director, even A-listers to get offered a contract of total freedom in a pre-existing film series. Can you imagine the nightmare of catastrophic proportions if you signed a famous director with such a contract, and he/she starts pitching ideas about a female Bond, or confirming once-and-for-all the codename theory, or having Bond make only a cameo appearance in the climax while focusing the entire film on the villain's perspective?

I am of the opinion directors should get more freedom, but there will always be limits in any franchise that stops directors from doing something catastrophically bad.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    From what I hear from close associates, and big clues already dropped by Eon, the Bond 25 director is already locked - no doubt to be announced soon.
    Interesting, and I assume that means 2018 with Craig after all. A bit anticlimactic perhaps, but most welcome to know they're finally moving forward.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    From what I hear from close associates, and big clues already dropped by Eon, the Bond 25 director is already locked - no doubt to be announced soon.
    Interesting, and I assume that means 2018 with Craig after all. A bit anticlimactic perhaps, but most welcome to know they're finally moving forward.
    There's no way 2018 is still in the cards. Either 2019 with Craig, or a new actor in the early 2020s.
    jake24 wrote: »
    There's no way 2018 is still in the cards. Either 2019 with Craig, or a new actor in the early 2020s.
    Why lock a director down so early then? That's generally not EON's MO.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

WB + Nolan package deal? Maybe why it's taken so long to agree terms.

WB + Nolan package deal? Maybe why it's taken so long to agree terms.
    I really don't think it's Nolan for B25. Not based on his interviews at least. It doesn't appear like he's spoken to them since pre-SP.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Scheduling is an important factor. If the director is tied with other projects for the next year , locking them in early wouldn't be a hard prospect to imagine. I'm still rooting for Denis Villeneuve. I'll wait until The Foreigner is released to determine whether or not Campbell's still got the chops.

Nevertheless, I seriously cannot imagine that B25 will commence principle photography in 3 months. Plus Eon will be tied with other non-Bond projects at that time.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Scheduling is an important factor. If the director is tied with other projects for the next year , locking them in early wouldn't be a hard prospect to imagine. I'm still rooting for Denis Villeneuve. I'll wait until The Foreigner is released to determine whether or not Campbell's still got the chops.

Nevertheless, I seriously cannot imagine that B25 will commence principle photography in 3 months. Plus Eon will be tied with other non-Bond projects at that time.

Press conference in November, filming in January, drafts circulating around this time; if EON is working behind the scenes it could happen.

Press conference in November, filming in January, drafts circulating around this time; if EON is working behind the scenes it could happen.
    I doubt it, mate. I really doubt it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I really enjoy the irony of discussing the possibility of a 2018 release for Bond 25, given there is as much evidence/proof/indication, or lack there of, of getting B25 in 2018 as there is of not getting B25 in 2018.
    I really enjoy the irony of discussing the possibility of a 2018 release for Bond 25, given there is as much evidence/proof/indication, or lack there of, of getting B25 in 2018 as there is of not getting B25 in 2018.
    If anything, there is an abundance of indication for the latter rather than the former.
    The ongoing Purity question mark could indicate something big is getting in the way for Craig.
    The ongoing Purity question mark could indicate something big is getting in the way for Craig.
    I should hope so!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    When's the last time we got an update on 'Purity' anyway? I knew a majority of it was supposed to shoot this year, but it's almost August, and a Google search returns articles from 2016, nothing terribly recent.
    If anything, there is an abundance of indication for the latter rather than the former.

Since 2018 less than 6 months away, you could be absolutely correct. But if we go back in time to late 2016, or even summer 2016, the point still stands that EON never made any comment about a 2018 release being possible or even considered. We've been arguing about a 2018 release since SP has been released, and for all we know EON have ruled out 2018 a long time ago and have been aiming for 2019.
    When's the last time we got an update on 'Purity' anyway? I knew a majority of it was supposed to shoot this year, but it's almost August, and a Google search returns articles from 2016, nothing terribly recent.

Last update is actually Craig joining the project. Zero indication of any other actors/actresses being cast, or even considered for any role in 'Purity' since summer 2016.
    I still say no Craig if it's 2019 (unless it's released earlier in the year). I also don't see a direct continuation if it's 2019.

Let's see what we get.

Since 2018 less than 6 months away, you could be absolutely correct. But if we go back in time to late 2016, or even summer 2016, the point still stands that EON never made any comment about a 2018 release being possible or even considered. We've been arguing about a 2018 release since SP has been released, and for all we know EON have ruled out 2018 a long time ago and have been aiming for 2019.

Last update is actually Craig joining the project. Zero indication of any other actors/actresses being cast, or even considered for any role in 'Purity' since summer 2016.
    You're not wrong at all. We really haven't got a clue.
    I wonder if Purity got called off or delayed a year or two when Craig decided to do Bond.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Directors worthy
    Duncan Jones (Moon, Warcraft, Source Code)
    Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty)
    Paul Greengrass (Bourne franchise)
    Edward Zwick (Blood Diamond)