No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I don't think Steven did much on C&A did he? - Just a case of a nominal title so they could put his name on the poster.

I'd be more worried by the execrable Indy IV in which he promised old school stunts and delivered the DAD of the Indy series.

However based on Munich and Bridge of Spies he could still deliver a taught thriller and if EON could deliver up a decent script I'm sure Steven's input would have everyone raising their game.

Although as @Birdleson comments I would worry about any humour/scmaltz he might bring in.

Shall we just all agree on Cuaron and shake on it?
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    I don't think a Cuaron Bond would be a million miles from a Mendes Bond. If you look at Prisoner of Azkaban there's a lot of symmetry both visually and narratively, a lot of recurring themes and underlying connections. It really works in HP, but the impression I'm getting is that a lot of people are keen on a pretty straight, plot heavy thriller for B25, rather than a more subversive, emotionally driven piece.

EDIT: I'm not saying he couldn't do a more plot focused piece, just pointing out that his MO is closer to Mendes.
    Yes, Bond 25 should be an emotionally driven film, for sure. Craig should be out for revenge because Blofeld kills Madeleine in the PTS. That is what they have to do.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,423
    The "emotional" tribe has really gotten overtly tiresome in the past decade. Out of eleven novels, only three of them had an emotional run on the saga. Do we really have to get another one in the films? Because it's getting really worn out.

A story has to have a good narrative to be engaging, not emotional, or dark or gritty to define a "valuable quality".
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote: »
    I don't think a Cuaron Bond would be a million miles from a Mendes Bond. If you look at Prisoner of Azkaban there's a lot of symmetry both visually and narratively, a lot of recurring themes and underlying connections. It really works in HP, but the impression I'm getting is that a lot of people are keen on a pretty straight, plot heavy thriller for B25, rather than a more subversive, emotionally driven piece.

EDIT: I'm not saying he couldn't do a more plot focused piece, just pointing out that his MO is closer to Mendes.

Perhaps but I think Cuaron will deliver on a much better and satisfying execution of it.

• The_Reaper wrote: »
    Yes, Bond 25 should be an emotionally driven film, for sure. Craig should be out for revenge because Blofeld kills Madeleine in the PTS. That is what they have to do.

I firmly believe that is the road they'll go down. At the end of Spectre Blofeld is going to be 100% out for revenge. Bond probably wants to settle down, have a normal life at this moment (much like Craig!), but Blofeld will not let him have a nice happy life. Blofeld will have Madeline killed forcing Bond back into action. Bond will be even more ruthless than we've seen before. We've seen Bond in revenge mode before, but not like this. This is the movie I want to see.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Eh just watch LTK and QoS back to back for seven days and you'll get that out of your system. :P
  • And on the subject of Craig having quit. Well, last night I was watching an interview Roger Moore gave on the set of Moonraker back in 1979. Barry Norman was asking Roger if he would come back for another one. Roger Moore said he simply didn't know. It all came down to how the movie did financially, he also said he wanted to do other things so it was imposisble for him to committ at this stage. Sounds very familiar to where we are today!
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Just had a thought. PTS - instead of the generic action set piece which we've had in every Bond film since probably TSWLM - we see a dejected, worn out Bond sitting on a bench in Regent Park, people pass by him - some with kids, people laughing and enjoying themselves in juxtaposition to Bond's melancholic stillness. Flashback to the killing of Madeleine which has to be done in a unique fashion, maybe go back to them in the DB5, only this time they have wedding bands on. Death - back to Bond - TS - Bond in MI6 being horrible to everyone cos he's grieving - M decides to give him one last chance - then the events of YOLT the novel - Bond goes after Shatterhand.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Just had a thought. PTS - instead of the generic action set piece which we've had in every Bond film since probably TSWLM - we see a dejected, worn out Bond sitting on a bench in Regent Park, people pass by him - some with kids, people laughing and enjoying themselves in juxtaposition to Bond's melancholic stillness. Flashback to the killing of Madeleine which has to be done in a unique fashion, maybe go back to them in the DB5, only this time they have wedding bands on. Death - back to Bond - TS - Bond in MI6 being horrible to everyone cos he's grieving - M decides to give him one last chance - then the events of YOLT the novel - Bond goes after Shatterhand.

Very similar to TMWTGG book. However, a stretch too far 'commercially' for Eon I think.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SonofSean wrote: »
    And on the subject of Craig having quit. Well, last night I was watching an interview Roger Moore gave on the set of Moonraker back in 1979. Barry Norman was asking Roger if he would come back for another one. Roger Moore said he simply didn't know. It all came down to how the movie did financially, he also said he wanted to do other things so it was imposisble for him to committ at this stage. Sounds very familiar to where we are today!
    Yes, it was, but Moore loved Bond and wore it like a second skin. For Craig it does appear to be a chore of late.
    Yes I doubt they'll go there, but would love it if they mixed it up now and again. Watching the samey PTS gets boring after awhile. I was actually inspired by a bit from YOLT the novel where Bond I think is sitting somewhere like that and is just so melancholic at the death of Tracy - which then requires M to give him an impossible mission to snap him out of it. I would also love it if a Bond film followed the narrative between Bond and Gala in Moonraker where Bond realises that she really is engaged to someone at the end and feels his solitude as the man who is a silhouette.
    The "emotional" tribe has really gotten overtly tiresome in the past decade. Out of eleven novels, only three of them had an emotional run on the saga. Do we really have to get another one in the films? Because it's getting really worn out.

A story has to have a good narrative to be engaging, not emotional, or dark or gritty to define a "valuable quality".

Well, a lack of emotion was just what was the critisism of Spectre from many. People were complaining about too much drama and now its wasn't enough.

• edited February 2016 Posts: 6,601
    Why I Hope Daniel Craig Plays James Bond One Last Time

This is from the guy who completely slated Spectre...and still does ;)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/02/23/why-i-hope-daniel-craig-plays-james-bond-one-last-time/#7f3f1d183a48
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,756
    The_Reaper wrote: »

I firmly believe that is the road they'll go down. At the end of Spectre Blofeld is going to be 100% out for revenge. Bond probably wants to settle down, have a normal life at this moment (much like Craig!), but Blofeld will not let him have a nice happy life. Blofeld will have Madeline killed forcing Bond back into action. Bond will be even more ruthless than we've seen before. We've seen Bond in revenge mode before, but not like this. This is the movie I want to see.

You_Must_Be_Joking3f0aq.jpg

That idea is retarded for two reasons.

1. It's been done before in the same trilogy.
    2. It's incredibly cliche

I honestly won't watch B25 if this is the main plot point, seriously...
    Germanlady wrote: »

Well, a lack of emotion was just what was the critisism of Spectre from many. People were complaining about too much drama and now its wasn't enough.
    I haven't heard much of the complaints based on the emotional side of things but the convoluted storyline that made little to no sense according to the criticisms I've come across. The main criticism comes from the aspect of compressing two films into one and forced character elements that are underdeveloped.

Unless we're talking about the "Bored" trait Craig represented (which I couldn't spot anywhere).

where else can they really go they backed themselves in a corner my guess is the only way around that would be this

PTS

Swann is killed in a fire fight and Bond kills all of the people involved in a somewhat brutal PTS

Main titles

Main story here would essentially be You only live twice the novel updated

I think it could work as a film and plus 30 minutes of Bond gambling over drinking and being an ass would put Rachael's mind at ease lol.
    Risico007 wrote: »

where else can they really go they backed themselves in a corner my guess is the only way around that would be this

PTS

Swann is killed in a fire fight and Bond kills all of the people involved in a somewhat brutal PTS

Main titles

I think it could work as a film and plus 30 minutes of Bond gambling over drinking and being an ass would put Rachael's mind at ease lol.

Here's how,

- Bond & Madeleine relationship is basically ignored. Presumed to have broken up.
    - Madeleine tries ringing/texting Bond, to which he ignores.

OR

- Blofeld does actually kill Madeleine to try to get Bond "mad", but Bond cares less.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think they can just ignore her entirely like they did all the babes who he ended up with in the previous (pre-Craig) films.

If they had ended SP on the bridge, then they would have had a problem imho, because it definitely looked like he had left the service. Since they had him go back to HQ to pick up the Aston (which we know has $mm of Q branch accessories installed) it can be surmised that he hasn't truly left.

So he shags Madeline for a few months and dumps her. What's the big deal? This is Bond after all and he proved he's back on his game with his treatment of Lucia.

They can just launch into an exciting, compelling pretitles and cast a winner of a Bond girl for B25 and I can assure you that no one will remember Madeline.

Well said. Thank you.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 199

I hope they do make this "retarded" movie (nice choice of words btw).
    eb3ea3b51b080924f6af9ba56fb876f2
    Risico007 wrote: »

PTS

Main titles

Here's how,

- Bond & Madeleine relationship is basically ignored. Presumed to have broken up.
    - Madeleine tries ringing/texting Bond, to which he ignores.

OR

- Blofeld does actually kill Madeleine to try to get Bond "mad", but Bond cares less.

he left the 00 branch for her... they literally back themselves into a Corner THE ONLY way they can do a bond movie WITHOUT killing Swann and Without the revenge angle are 2 fold

1. A takensque style thrill where Swann is kidnaped and Bond basically goes rogue to save her which he does but realizes even quitting the 00 branch he has enemies who will use her to get to him and because of that he has to leave her and rejoin the 00 branch (personally my favourite of the clichéd storylines they now have to go with)

2. She was a villain all along.

Personally I prefer the taken styled story but if the minimalize her and have them break up off screen I will be pissed and think the writer/s director/producers clealy have lost their way.

A taken styled thriller for Bond with Pierre Morrel Directing would be perfect

But Taken has already been done - thrice.Nothing new there.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Why would Madeline even be in Bond 25? Are people forgetting how Bond treats women?
  • tanaka123 wrote: »
    Yes I doubt they'll go there, but would love it if they mixed it up now and again. Watching the samey PTS gets boring after awhile. I was actually inspired by a bit from YOLT the novel where Bond I think is sitting somewhere like that and is just so melancholic at the death of Tracy - which then requires M to give him an impossible mission to snap him out of it. I would also love it if a Bond film followed the narrative between Bond and Gala in Moonraker where Bond realises that she really is engaged to someone at the end and feels his solitude as the man who is a silhouette.

Yes. Bond was ruminating on dead bees, among other things.

• SonofSean wrote: »

Well said. Thank you.

Saying somebody or some thing is "retarded" precludes eloquence. Contrariwise, it bespeaks a juvenile lack of imagination.

edited February 2016 Posts: 1,756

Well said. Thank you.

Saying somebody or some thing is "retarded" precludes eloquence. Contrariwise, it bespeaks a juvenile lack of imagination.

Judging someone by their words, rather than their ideas, also precludes eloquence. At least I stated my disagreement and explained why. I suppose Daniel Craig isn't eloquent as well because he swears in his interviews.

Well said. Thank you.

I wasn't one to approve of that, to which if I did come across doing so, I do apologize. What made me agree with dominicgreene's comment was the idea of a lover getting killed and Bond mourning over her death being done to death. I wasn't, in anyway, engaging in a fight with anyone over an opinion and discredit a user. As varying as our opinions may be, we can't agree on everything regardless of the pursuit of one specific topic. If one disagrees? Good. It's an opinion, and it's as good as anyone else's.

Most of the people in the thread want the SwanSong scenario. But, I, being in the minority, don't. If I argue, I don't argue or validate anyone's opinion because neither of us are in position to do so. I only argue with differentiating the idea.
  • [/quote]Saying somebody or some thing is "retarded" precludes eloquence. Contrariwise, it bespeaks a juvenile lack of imagination. [/quote]

[/quote]
    Judging someone by their words, rather than their ideas, also precludes eloquence. At least I stated my disagreement and explained why. I suppose Daniel Craig isn't eloquent as well because he swears in his interviews. [/quote]

Disagree with someone that's fine. Using words like retarded is pretty horrible, no matter how you try to wiggle out of it.

edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    His point is well taken though. The idea is 'silly' because it's been done to death. That's what I focused on. The rest is as semantic as a highly paid actor saying 'f' unnecessarily in interviews. Not the crux of the discussion and distracting