No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Well said. I don't understand the hate for Babs, I really don't. Her track record is on par with her father's (and she's had to deal with more studio upheaval than he did). CR is an instant classic, and most people would say either GE and SF are up there too. She wants to make the films as relevant and good as they can be. And she gave us Craig. She deserves props forever for having the vision to cast him.
    Wow purvis and wade coming back? They better knock it out of the park. Hopefully they can adapt YOLT. They have that material to work off of.

I still see Craig coming back.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 386
    Brady:

Yes, I for one am aware that a film script can be beaten beyond recognition within such a collaborative art form.

I still don't rate P@W.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Bond films have a history of scripts transitioning across more than one writer or writing teams. It's not sacking. At times, P&W came back to align a new writer's work with the franchise. That's their value to EON, continuity.

For their shortcomings, I blame the producers. The writers serve at the pleasure of the producers, and at times that's what led to the shortcomings (mixed with the strengths) of DIE ANOTHER DAY as an extreme example. And that's also reigning in Tamahori. [Christopher Wood is another example--screenwriter for THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and MOONRAKER, but he would have greatly fully done more stuff of port. Tom Mankiewicz, same.]

For their recent statements on American politics, they're knuckleheads. What they said was irrational but it also doesn't have to play into the development of a new Bond film. With the stuff they got right for Bond 21-24, they must have believed in Bond's world there is right and wrong and a time for muscle, even if a price is to be paid. So do that again. Bond style. And pretty much shut up.
    If filming wont be starting until fall of 2018 could we be getting a summer 2019 release?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    If filming wont be starting until fall of 2018 could we be getting a summer 2019 release?
    Hope so, would like to see a spring release date

As for p and w
    They made something great with CR but with everything else it has been shit. So unless haggis comes ok board too, this is bad news. However at least this tells us that they're actually planning on making a movie eventually.
  • Bond films have a history of scripts transitioning across more than one writer or writing teams. It's not sacking. At times, P&W came back to align a new writer's work with the franchise. That's their value to EON, continuity.

For their shortcomings, I blame the producers. The writers serve at the pleasure of the producers, and at times that's what led to the shortcomings (mixed with the strengths) of DIE ANOTHER DAY as an extreme example. And that's also reigning in Tamahori. [Christopher Wood is another example--screenwriter for THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and MOONRAKER, but he would have greatly fully done more stuff of port. Tom Mankiewicz, same.]

For their recent statements on American politics, they're knuckleheads. What they said was irrational but it also doesn't have to play into the development of a new Bond film. With the stuff they got right for Bond 21-24, they must have believed in Bond's world there is right and wrong and a time for muscle, even if a price is to be paid. So do that again. Bond style. And pretty much shut up.

Well said. The final version of each script as well as how that script translates to the screen is ultimately down to the creative input of the producers and the directors. P&W have gone on record saying that Tamahori, for instance, blew some of their ideas way out of proportion, taking something that was maybe a 5 on the crazy scale and jacking it up to an 11. I have no doubt this has been the way of the Bond films from the very beginning. Every film really has been by committee—just some more so than others.

And yes, "sacked" is perhaps too cold of a word to use, and yet they were in fact relieved from their duties on Skyfall. It's the same ballpark. Same thing happened with Logan on Spectre and I presume Michael France on GoldenEye. And I'm sure it's happened in other instances as well. So, right, "sacked" is too harsh, but "relieved of duties" is accurate.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited March 2017 Posts: 1,755
    The thing that's perplexing me is that if script writers have been hired, wouldn't you think the script is being written around Craig's Bond? If they want him to return, I'd imagine this is the case. So that means someone on the inside has to know for certain whether or not Craig has committed.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    The thing that's perplexing me is that if script writers have been hired, wouldn't you think the script is being written around Craig's Bond? If they want him to return, I'd imagine this is the case. So that means someone on the inside has to know for certain whether or not Craig has committed.

They could be writing the treatment to appeal to Craig.

At least P&W know who Tiffany Case is.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Wow! So we're going back to the same old well. I'm disappointed that EoN hasn't gone after new writers to pen the next movie. To top it off further, isn't it usually beneficial to know if your leading actor is coming back to reprise the role when writing the next installment? And I hope work on the script has been going on for a while because if not, consider all this time a waste. After the catastrophe that was SP, this is definitively a hypeless train for me to get on board with until I see the actual movie. This really isn't encouraging for me. At. All.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    P&W were rumored to have done a Bond 25 treatment that was turned down by EON a while back. If, and it's a big if, this recent news is true, it's possible that they are now going back to their original idea and honing it more after a go ahead from EON.

If history repeats itself, Dan is waiting to see as much of a story as possible to gauge his own interest in the project and what it could give him to work with, teaming with Barbara and possibly Michael to put it all together through their input at each stage.
  • P&W were rumored to have done a Bond 25 treatment that was turned down by EON a while back. If, and it's a big if, this recent news is true, it's possible that they are now going back to their original idea and honing it more after a go ahead from EON.

If history repeats itself, Dan is waiting to see as much of a story as possible to gauge his own interest in the project and what it could give him to work with, teaming with Barbara and possibly Michael to put it all together through their input at each stage.

If Baz knows what he's talking about, then his twitter response to our jake24 suggests Craig's on-the-fenceness has to do with something other than the story/script. Money? Contract terms? Choice of director? Could be any number of things. But Baz did imply it wasn't the script Daniel was waiting on.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I found myself a bit puzzled by this.

Since most people here agreed that if Craig returns, Bond 25 will be a sequel to SP, what happens if P&W pen a SP sequel, and after that Craig decides not to return? Continuation of SP storyline but with a new actor? Highly unlikely, IMO.

Could it be then, that they are about to write a standalone story that doesn't involve Blofeld and Spectre, and can be used with or without Craig?

Or perhaps P&W are only hired at this point, but will not start working until Craig decides whether he will return or not? This also sounds unlikely to me.

There are many possibilities, who knows what we'll get in the end.

Since most people here agreed that if Craig returns, Bond 25 will be a sequel to SP, what happens if P&W pen a SP sequel, and after that Craig decides not to return? Continuation of SP storyline but with a new actor? Highly unlikely, IMO.

Could it be then, that they are about to write a standalone story that doesn't involve Blofeld and Spectre, and can be used with or without Craig?

Or perhaps P&W are only hired at this point, but will not start working until Craig decides whether he will return or not? This also sounds unlikely to me.

You're echoing my questions/concerns.

great point, they must just be writing the general action set pieces and villain plot
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Um, greatness? That's what I'm looking for.
    If it's taking this long, the movie better be damn well great. Especially if it's Craig's hurrah.
    If it's taking this long, the movie better be damn well great. Especially if it's Craig's hurrah.

Well let's see
    Diamonds are forever- not great
    A View to a kill- okay
    Die another day- shit

So....
    SPECTRE- kinda okay or maybe shit( if it's his last one)
    Bond 25- with Craig- shit( if he decides to do another one)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Hey can some of you salty mind readers give me numbers for the million dollar lotto? I'm feeling lucky!. :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    P&W were rumored to have done a Bond 25 treatment that was turned down by EON a while back. If, and it's a big if, this recent news is true, it's possible that they are now going back to their original idea and honing it more after a go ahead from EON.

If Baz knows what he's talking about, then his twitter response to our jake24 suggests Craig's on-the-fenceness has to do with something other than the story/script. Money? Contract terms? Choice of director? Could be any number of things. But Baz did imply it wasn't the script Daniel was waiting on.

Baz is a clickbait drama queen. His tweets are written to made mountains of molehills. That's all entertainment journalism is these days anyway.
  • P&W were rumored to have done a Bond 25 treatment that was turned down by EON a while back. If, and it's a big if, this recent news is true, it's possible that they are now going back to their original idea and honing it more after a go ahead from EON.

Baz is a clickbait drama queen. His tweets are written to made mountains of molehills. That's all entertainment journalism is these days anyway.

Okay. I'm not sure about his status today, but he has broken news on Bond in the past. People seem to be taking him at his word and he does seem to be a more reliable source than most. Just stating what he said as it's the closest thing to true news anyone has heard on B25 apart from a German helicopter.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Just because someone was right in the past doesn't mean they're always right.
  • True. Never mind then. I'm sure P&W are not writing Bond 25 and Craig has already decided and declared yes or no on Bond. ;)

But seriously, hasn't Baz had a pretty solid batting average on breaking Bond news?
    If Craig declines the tuxedo it's a fair bet we won't be getting another rookie story. Fine with me too. The next Bond should just be getting on with business.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I realize that sometimes the frustration goes a bit overboard - here any some other places in regards to Bond 25. I personally am just worried we won't see a final and really good film starring Daniel Craig - which I think he deserves and would round up his tenure better than SP otherwise would. I am a huge fan of his Bond interpretation and would be sad if I would have to let go already after just 4 movies. Something new will follow, there will be a new Bond ... but please not yet.

CR hasn't aged at all for me - I rewatch it frequently, however just comparing the looks of the movies, QoS and SF are more beautiful than CR. But the story, the intensity of CR hasn't been beaten by anything since 2006.

If I were Craig I would not do another Bond movie if there's an incomplete (QoS) or problematic (Spectre) script to make sure the last film I do in the franchise (and B25 WILL be his last one if he does it at all) is a true winner. So I understand he's undecided.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Its a massive shame they didn't save Skyfall for Craig's last film. That's the film I'd want to go out on.
    With Omega

Its a massive shame they didn't save Skyfall for Craig's last film. That's the film I'd want to go out on.

Very true.

Thanks for sharing those shots, @Germanlady.

I know Dan is also meeting with the NY branch of Brunello Cucinelli soon, one of his main Bond clothiers. Hopefully get we some shots of that meet-up too, to see him sport what could be possible future Bond suits.
    Thanks for sharing those shots, @Germanlady.

I know Dan is also meeting with the NY branch of Brunello Cucinelli soon, one of his main Bond clothiers. Hopefully get we some shots of that meet-up too, to see him sport what could be possible future Bond suits.

A clown "suit" perhaps?