No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    If it's 2019 with Mendes and Craig and Bond 25 is at the same level critically and commercially as CR and SF it will be worth the wait. Craig will have 3 of the all time great Bond films, more than Brosnan, Dalton, and Moore, and will be counted among the best actors to ever play the role. As it stands now he's very good, one of the best, but will mostly be remembered for being the reboot Bond and little else. He deserves top tier status IMO.

That's a galactic sized "if".

Frankly the outcome of any subsequent Bond film guarantees nothing, especially more so with the SF/SP team. The Craig era has given us 2 year, 4 year and 3 year gaps to mixed results. I want Craig back but he's the least of EoN's and our problems. The series is in dire need of new writers and for EoN to have a firmer stronghold on their duties as producers.

This
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Something just dawned on me.

We don't have definitive proof that things are relatively stagnant behind the scenes. So, isn't it possible that EON is just being coy? I mean, following the Sony leaks of December 2014, surely Babs and Michael use considerable caution when deciding what the audience should and shouldn't know.

When interviewed at the Christie's SPECTRE auction back in February, Greg Wilson stated that while preliminary work has yet to begin on B25, they were still trying to determine the next "real world threat".

Prior to this interview, Babs states that work on B25 was set to commence during the Spring months of 2016.

Here we are, entering 2017, and why are we so quick to assume that a treatment isn't being developed as we speak? Granted, there are signs that point to the opposite direction, but there's no sense in being counter-productive. Eon are no strangers to multi-tasking.

What worries me is that, when commenting on MGM's 2010 final troubles, Craig stated that he and the main people involved on Skyfall weren't allowed to speak to each other during the dire stages of production. I fear we may be in a similar scenario with B25.

My point is, while there are signs pointing to either directions, we shouldn't jump to conclusions in terms of nothing going on behind the scenes.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What you're basically saying is that EON is sneaky. I could see myself agreeing with that.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    While Cubby was more outspoken, Barbara seems to be more reclusive.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That's what I've always assumed was going on.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    What you're basically saying is that EON is sneaky. I could see myself agreeing with that.
    Essentially, and more so post-Sony leaks.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

Looks like she might be rather busy later this week
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/barometer/uk-storm-centre/storm-barbara
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

Looks like she might be rather busy later this week
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/barometer/uk-storm-centre/storm-barbara
    Nice.
  • jake24 wrote: »

We don't have definitive proof that things are relatively stagnant behind the scenes. So, isn't it possible that EON is just being coy? I mean, following the Sony leaks of December 2014, surely Babs and Michael use considerable caution when deciding what the audience should and shouldn't know.

When interviewed at the Christie's SPECTRE auction back in February, Greg Wilson stated that while preliminary work has yet to begin on B25, they were still trying to determine the next "real world threat".

Prior to this interview, Babs states that work on B25 was set to commence during the Spring months of 2016.

Here we are, entering 2017, and why are we so quick to assume that a treatment isn't being developed as we speak? Granted, there are signs that point to the opposite direction, but there's no sense in being counter-productive. Eon are no strangers to multi-tasking.

What worries me is that, when commenting on MGM's 2010 final troubles, Craig stated that he and the main people involved on Skyfall weren't allowed to speak to each other during the dire stages of production. I fear we may be in a similar scenario with B25.

My point is, while there are signs pointing to either directions, we shouldn't jump to conclusions in terms of nothing going on behind the scenes.

That may be. But we also know there's been no director hired and no release date. Both were in place for SPECTRE as of July 2013, almost 18 months before that movie was released. If you assume (or want) a 2018 release, then Bond 25 is behind the pace SPECTRE was.

Now some will say, "How do you know they won't do things faster this time?" Truth be told, I don't. However, in 2012, Barbara Broccoli made clear in two interviews that she was not going to be hurried every again by a studio. Personally, I don't think she's changed her mind.
    jake24 wrote: »

That may be. But we also know there's been no director hired and no release date. Both were in place for SPECTRE as of July 2013, almost 18 months before that movie was released. If you assume (or want) a 2018 release, then Bond 25 is behind the pace SPECTRE was.

Now some will say, "How do you know they won't do things faster this time?" Truth be told, I don't. However, in 2012, Barbara Broccoli made clear in two interviews that she was not going to be hurried every again by a studio. Personally, I don't think she's changed her mind.

Don't you mean almost 30 months before release?
    Considering half their movies they've made have been dogshit, you'd think they'd want to get a move on.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Ok let's be fair. Bond is EoN's livelihood. They want Bond to thrive just like we do. Yes, I've lost a bit of faith with SP but retreating a bit from some of my previous statements I think we do need to give EoN the benefit of the doubt.

And no I don't expect anything until 2019.

There at least seems to be more chatter going on now, more whispers. It's possible that whatever is being planned falls through and we are plunged into another period of uncertainty, as seems to happen every few years. But at the very least we should get some definitive answers in 2017, including whether Craig will return or not (if we still don't know by next Christmas, I think it's safe to assume he is done either way), who the distributor will be, and a writer/release date. The worst of the waiting is behind us now, and it's a a great relief. Whatever happens, next year will prove to be far more eventful, and far more exciting than 2016 proved to be. :)
    Pretty much.
    Eon, take note:

Mont-Saint-Michel-3-.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel

How perfect would this be for Blofeld's Castle from YOLT?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 8,159
    Denis Villeneuve in talks to direct Dune reboot.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/dec/21/dune-reboot-denis-villeneuve-arrival-director

Possibly out of the picture for Bond 25?
    I believe he also has another project with Jake Gyllenhaal up his sleeve. Highly unlikely that he'll helm B25.
    Why?
    Busy schedule, unfortunately.
    Its either Mendes or Nolan for the next one. guranteed.
    Either Mendes or Mendes
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Eon, take note:

Mont-Saint-Michel-3-.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel

How perfect would this be for Blofeld's Castle from YOLT?

Omg, YES.

• edited December 2016 Posts: 2,115

Don't you mean almost 30 months before release?

You're right. We knew the director and release date more than a year before the start of filming, not release. Point taken.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Ok let's be fair. Bond is EoN's livelihood. They want Bond to thrive just like we do. Yes, I've lost a bit of faith with SP but retreating a bit from some of my previous statements I think we do need to give EoN the benefit of the doubt.

And no I don't expect anything until 2019.
    Just want to be clear I'm not talking about the whole series. Just Barbara and Micheal's movies.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Nolan? Heaven Forbid. No more convoluted "Mindblowing" personal stories. Mendes was enough.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Exactly. And writing that's so overblown and pretentious. We don't need Nolan. He already had Nolan lite.
    The only "person drama" I can handle going forward is Bond's struggle with boredom in the domestic life, which is where I can see them taking it should Craig decide to return. Enough family ties for the time being.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    No more family ties for at least three decades.
    Seconded.
    x3