No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• unless we're going to call it a GoldenEye reference whenever a character is seen holding a club sandwich from here on out. "That's it, folks, no more club sandwiches! Can't let the audiences mistakenly think we're making GoldenEye references!"

I'm curious. Where is the club sandwich scene in GE?

A mental lapse on my part. It was the submarine sandwich I was thinking of: the lunch Q snatches out Bond's hands. No more submarine sandwiches from here on!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    unless we're going to call it a GoldenEye reference whenever a character is seen holding a club sandwich from here on out. "That's it, folks, no more club sandwiches! Can't let the audiences mistakenly think we're making GoldenEye references!"

A mental lapse on my part. It was the submarine sandwich I was thinking of: the lunch Q snatches out Bond's hands. No more submarine sandwiches from here on!

That's better. Although had we heard of subs in the UK in 95? The first Subway didn't open until 1996.

Just had a look at the scene on YouTube and I don't think it's a baguette as I first thought so isn't it just a bread roll?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If they made Bond 25 a mystery suspense film with a big action blowout at the end, that would be the best!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    If they made Bond 25 a mystery suspense film with a big action blowout at the end, that would be the best!
    +1
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,425
    EON should film all the novels in their proper order as period pieces. Possibly on lower budgets - may be even for TV.
  • unless we're going to call it a GoldenEye reference whenever a character is seen holding a club sandwich from here on out. "That's it, folks, no more club sandwiches! Can't let the audiences mistakenly think we're making GoldenEye references!"

That's better. Although had we heard of subs in the UK in 95? The first Subway didn't open until 1996.

Just had a look at the scene on YouTube and I don't think it's a baguette as I first thought so isn't it just a bread roll?

They better just keep bread out of Bond films from now on lest they be accused of a GoldenEye reference.
    unless we're going to call it a GoldenEye reference whenever a character is seen holding a club sandwich from here on out. "That's it, folks, no more club sandwiches! Can't let the audiences mistakenly think we're making GoldenEye references!"

They better just keep bread out of Bond films from now on lest they be accused of a GoldenEye reference.

Not that this thread is scraping the barrel or anything but can we think of any other bread scenes in the series?

All I can come up with off the top of my head are OHMSS and CR where Bond eats caviar on some toast.

Is that guy who gets suffocated in Rosika Miklos's tits eating a sandwich before she comes in and distracts him from the football on telly?
    At the end of the day, if you hire a good enough writer they can save you 10's of millions of dollars. if the audience is engaged in the story and the intrigue, they don't require action set pieces every 10 mins to keep them gripped. There are times during TWINE, QoS and SP when it seems like an action scene takes place simply to rouse those in the cinema that have begun to nod off. I think Kermode said it best in his QoS review:

"There were times when I started to feel the heavy eyelids happening, and that's never good during a chase sequence."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I do think that the crowd who are angry about heavy referential material in these latest Bond films at times go too far in their analysis and cite items that weren't even meant to be a homage or tribute or anything.

Some I can understand the umbrage over, like the DB5 (don't mind it personally, it's a beauty). Outside of that, I'm struggling to think of any references or homages that stick in your face and are sloppily managed.

None of the Craig films have anything on DAD, which did homages to all the previous films and stopped the momentum of the film just to put the camera on an object or another element in the film.
    The Bond films aren't the only ones in this day and age that are constantly inserting homages from the successful past achievements. Star Wars did that, too... And dare I say, every damn remake that has been there since the 90s and onward. It's like the whole Hollywood cinema industry has run out of ideas.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's the age of reboots, remakes and re-tooling for sure. Movies have only risen in expenses over time, and the movie climate for a long time now has facilitated the making of big blockbusters which cost a lot of money and cost big change when there isn't the desired returns on investment. Relying so much on these kinds of movies puts the industry in a tough spot. This then makes studios rely more and more on old hits with built-in audiences rather than putting up more money and resources on more risky, unproven ideas. This makes it a hard go for originality in Hollywood.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Time to quit that godforsaken, uncreative 'reboot-button' then and turn to the more standalone-style of moviemaking. That's what eventually made Bond great. That's why I wrote this article:
    https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/the-spectre-of-bond-25/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The movie industry needs a reboot. Gone with the bigwig execs who exploit franchises for the almighty dollar. Bring in fresh new minds with a story to tell and the soul to drive it.
    Murdock wrote: »
    The movie industry needs a reboot. Gone with the bigwig execs who exploit franchises for the almighty dollar. Bring in fresh new minds with a story to tell and the soul to drive it.

Sadly movies aren't about artistry at this point. It's just a business that needs to meet a profit like any other.

That's why I hate reading the contents of leaks like the Sony hacks, because in those e-mails you discover just how slimy the filmmaking process and industry as a whole is and it takes all the fun out of enjoying a movie because you see all the warts and few discernible positives about it all. With some films in particular going out to see them at the theater feels less like an enjoyable day out and more like you're supporting the continued unraveling of true cinematic genius in the industry by giving away your dollar to the bean counters behind it all.

I've never felt a greater need to vote with my wallet than in the past few years.

They did in 2012, Skyfall.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Tuck91 wrote: »

They did in 2012, Skyfall.

Good joke.
    Dreary drama with shootout and soap opera dying scene at the end, that's SF.
  • For me, every Bond film has a special place in my heart :-). And that goes beyond the quality of the film. I do 'resent' DAD, but I do like certain elements of the film. I do hope Jason that sooner or later you can also see SF in a more positive light again :-).
  • For me, every Bond film has a special place in my heart :-). And that goes beyond the quality of the film. I do 'resent' DAD, but I do like certain elements of the film. I do hope Jason that sooner or later you can also see SF in a more positive light again :-).
    I will literally sing Hallelujah the day they make an announcement that tells us the film's preparation and development is going somewhere.
    I do hope Jason that sooner or later you can also see SF in a more positive light again :-).

That would certainly be nice rather than having to put up with his tiresome slagging off of SF in every single post.
    I will literally sing Hallelujah the day they make an announcement that tells us the film's preparation and development is going somewhere.
    Do you really @ClarkDevlin? Where are you from? The Leonard Cohen Song? Slap it on you tube?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    Do you really @ClarkDevlin? Where are you from? The Leonard Cohen Song? Slap it on you tube?
    @IGUANNA, challenge accepted, sir. ;)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

There's far too many Subways in London.. Too many in Texas...

I can make a sandwich at home.

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking @ClarkDevlin should YouTube himself singing that tune when the time comes.

Because Roger Deakins didn't return as DP for SP we missed out on seeing @Creasy47 scream like a girl in reaction to the news on camera, but this? This will do for now. ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking @ClarkDevlin should YouTube himself singing that tune when the time comes.

Because Roger Deakins didn't return as DP for SP we missed out on seeing @Creasy47 scream like a girl in reaction to the news on camera, but this? This will do for now. ;)

Was that a thing? @Creasy47 screaming like a girl on YT? Wow now I'm really bummed Deakins didn't return.

Anybody doing anything if Craig returns or doesn't??? I bet @Mendes4Lyfe would do something if Turner got the part.

Saying in good humored jest :)
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Was that a thing? @Creasy47 screaming like a girl on YT? Wow now I'm really bummed Deakins didn't return.

Anybody doing anything if Craig returns or doesn't??? I bet @Mendes4Lyfe would do something if Turner got the part.

Saying in good humored jest :)

If Turner got the part I would film myself doing pretty much anything.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'll be recreating my audition part that I thought was for Bond, which involved wearing a clown suit and smoking a cigar.

@Mendes4Lyfe, do a ballet dance. :))
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'll be recreating my audition part that I thought was for Bond, which involved wearing a clown suit and smoking a cigar.

@Mendes4Lyfe, do a ballet dance. :))

Both excellent ideas ... hmm I'll get in on wager too.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I guess I still owe that 'Screaming like a little girl' video if Deakins ever does return! Love it or hate it, SF is one absolutely beautiful looking movie from start to finish.
    Deakins not returning for SP was a mistake. SF looks newer looking than SP. SF will age well.