No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    How about Blofeld escape, and Bond realises that he was wrong to not shoot him and realises the necessity of licence to kill. He blames Swann for persuading him otherwise and he leaves her.

That scenario really takes a huge dump on who Bond is as a character.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'd prefer less of this Swann nonsense in the next film to be honest. Let's just move on from this story please.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'd prefer less of this Swann nonsense in the next film to be honest. Let's just move on from this story please.

Agreed..even leave Blofeld and the whole SPECTRE 'circus' out for BOND 25,and just get Bond back in Vauxhall Cross,and give him a totally stand-alone mission,given to him by M and focussing on a traditional Bond villain.

TRADITIONAL is the important word.....

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You guys make me laugh sometimes. If you really think that EON are just going to drop everything developed in SP and never mention any of the big stuff that happened, you're in for a massive disappointment come Bond 25. You're going to be getting a lot more of this story, and the sooner you realize it, the better.

Say you're boycotting the next film or that you're going to wait until the next Bond arrives to get into the franchise again (I've actually heard these responses before) if you want, but at least realize the facts laying right in front of you.
  • I think we all 'want and demand too much'. I see wonderful creative solutions to make SPECTRE and Blofeld relevant again, where others keep pointing at the past and what should have been done. I think it prevents us from coming up with real good solutions, that really leads to improvements, by focusing on the present state of SPECTRE and Blofeld....and making it work better for the next film. We aren't doing that anymore. It's just a lot of...fingerpointing towards EON, saying that 'they should have done this and that'. I think it isn't helpful in the slightest.

Let your creativity speak by focusing on the future, by focusing how SPECTRE and Blofeld can be improved greatly during the next, 25th Bond film.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I found the quote in John Glens book, 'For my Eyes Only'. It was Glen and Michael Wilson who wanted Brosnan, Cubby and i quote "wasn't crazy about the idea!" (Casting Brosnan).
    Cubby wanted him to do a 3 day screentest, Glen shot it with scenes from FRWL and OHMSS before Cubby was convinced! When Brosnan was dropped, they went with Dalton, and didn't ask Tim to screentest because they were so sure he was right!

That's a direct contradiction to the story that Cubby wanted Brosnan as soon as he laid eyes on him when Pierce visited the set of his wife playing a Bond girl. If the guy can act I want him.

I think we should go with what was said and showed in the Documentaries on the DVD/Blu-ray discs of the films.
    I found the quote in John Glens book, 'For my Eyes Only'. It was Glen and Michael Wilson who wanted Brosnan, Cubby and i quote "wasn't crazy about the idea!" (Casting Brosnan).
    Cubby wanted him to do a 3 day screentest, Glen shot it with scenes from FRWL and OHMSS before Cubby was convinced! When Brosnan was dropped, they went with Dalton, and didn't ask Tim to screentest because they were so sure he was right!
    Very interesting. Thanks for this @Mathis1.
    @Gustav_Graves, I'm sorry, but EON aren't just going to let Blofeld hide away again, especially with how much Waltz would cost them.

If Blofeld is back in a Craig-starring Bond 25, it's going to be a full-out conflict between the two, in a film that holds nothing back and pulls no stops. There's no reason not to throw everything and the kitchen sink at this thing since EON have already used up a modern interpretation of SPECTRE at the tail end of Dan's era. They started it, now they must finish it.

It would've been far more interesting to see SPECTRE develop throughout a new actor's era as they did with Connery back at the very start, but they've blown their chances of that now and have to make due with what they've got.

It's a shame Marvel got to the idea first, but it would have been interesting to see SPECTRE infecting MI6 from the inside as hidden in plain sight sleeper agents gaining control in secret for decades working in the same headquarters as their enemies in each major nation's intelligence services.

Yep. As usual, you and I are on the same page. I can't even fathom a reality where they don't go this route. They JUST got the rights back to Bond's biggest bad guy. They have to keep going. I say two more with Blofeld, a nice little trilogy like they had before.
    And not with the Director of the movie?? Think I'll go with Glens version, sounds right!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,692
    You guys make me laugh sometimes. If you really think that EON are just going to drop everything developed in SP and never mention any of the big stuff that happened, you're in for a massive disappointment come Bond 25. You're going to be getting a lot more of this story, and the sooner you realize it, the better.

Say you're boycotting the next film or that you're going to wait until the next Bond arrives to get into the franchise again (I've actually heard these responses before) if you want, but at least realize the facts laying right in front of you.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 the only 'fact' we all need to realize, is that the only people who care about continuity in the franchise are found on hardcore fan forums like this one. And we make less than 0.001% of the audience for these films. The general audience do not care whether Madeleine, Blofeld or whatever comes back. If they get a great Bond film that continues with the SP events, they'll love it , if they get a great Bond film that ignores all events of SP, they'll love it. All they want for Bond 25 is a great film, they couldn't care less if the film is stand-alone or continues SP's timeline.

And that's what we need to understand. A great Bond 25 with Craig that ignores all events of SP will still be a huge success, irrespective of the few hardcore fans who will be angry that EON ignored SP's events.
    It's a good point @DaltonCraig007. I don't recall too many of the general public complaining that the mysterious Quantum and equally secretive White weren't mentioned in SF, as it went on to break $bn at the box office.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 the only 'fact' we all need to realize, is that the only people who care about continuity in the franchise are found on hardcore fan forums like this one. And we make less than 0.001% of the audience for these films. The general audience do not care whether Madeleine, Blofeld or whatever comes back. If they get a great Bond film that continues with the SP events, they'll love it , if they get a great Bond film that ignores all events of SP, they'll love it. All they want for Bond 25 is a great film, they couldn't care less if the film is stand-alone or continues SP's timeline.

And that's what we need to understand. A great Bond 25 with Craig that ignores all events of SP will still be a huge success, irrespective of the few hardcore fans who will be angry that EON ignored SP's events.

Brady is right, though. Craig's fifth film won't ignore SPECTRE, no matter what the fans think, and this is a fact.
    Quantum of Solace is generally regarded as one of the worst entries in the series, yet SPECTRE was a continuation of this story.
    EON is not going to drop SPECTRE, Swann or whatever just because people don't care.
    IF Craig comes back it's obvious Bond 25 will be linked to SP and his earlier films.

If he doesn't come back. Bond 25 will have NOTHING to do at all with the Craig-era.
    They intentionally left it vague at the end of SP. Blofeld captured. No professing of love for Madeline by Bond. It can be interpreted any way you want, and that's what the filmmakers wanted. Options.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,692
    Walecs wrote: »

Brady is right, though. Craig's fifth film won't ignore SPECTRE, no matter what the fans think, and this is a fact.
    Quantum of Solace is generally regarded as one of the worst entries in the series, yet SPECTRE was a continuation of this story.
    EON is not going to drop SPECTRE, Swann or whatever just because people don't care.

I did not say they will, must or should ignore SP. My only point was that a great Bond film, irrespective of whether it carries SP's events or ignores them entirely, will be a success. If EON makes another film to the level of CR, with Craig, while also ignoring SPECTRE, Madeline and what not, the film will be a huge success. That is a fact, but I agree with your point that if Craig returns they'll carry on with SP's timeline.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,119
    *edit*
  • The_Reaper wrote: »
    Yep. As usual, you and I are on the same page. I can't even fathom a reality where they don't go this route. They JUST got the rights back to Bond's biggest bad guy. They have to keep going. I say two more with Blofeld, a nice little trilogy like they had before.

To whom are you referring @The_Reaper? To my idea, which in essence is all about not holding back and go full throttle on Blofeld and SPECTRE, albeit in a more beloved Bond-esque way I think. More screentime for Blofeld, YET he hides in complete secrecy, FRWL-style.

Or, are you referring to @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 's Marvel-esque idea, which in essence sounds -forgive me for saying this @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7- more like his belief in what he thinks will happen. Not necessarily his desired treatment of Blofeld and SPECTRE.

My idea:
    I want SPECTRE to be..............secret and effective again! Guys, let's not forget that SPECTRE and Blofeld have been entirely compromised by now! That's very clear from the finale of SPECTRE. MI6 must have loads, bucket loads of information now to dismantle EVERY scheme or operation SPECTRE has a finger in.

I'm surprised NO one is really addressing that. So to actually give SPECTRE a future in future films, the crime syndicate needs to be both effective and entirely secret again. Obviously, the organization needs to be a modern interpretation again of the 1960's SPECTRE. More of a Bilderberg-esque secret brotherhood as designed by Sam Mendes, and less of the cheesy Ken Adam-style syndicate. But again, it needs to be hiding in complete secrecy again, just like in "FRWL" and "TB". And obviously, James Bond should not be able to compromise SPECTRE again, like he did in Rome.

The same goes for its head, Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Blofeld is NOT like "The Dark Knight"s The Joker. He's the secret head of counter-espionage syndicate SPECTRE, just like 'M' is the secret head of MI6. Letting Blofeld escape, or letting him being on the run constantly only destroys the mystique of the character. Blofeld therefore needs to hide in secrecy again in Bond #25. Let him....disappear. There are many interesting story ideas to let this happen. But please don't make an entire movie about Blofeld's escape.

Best thing IMO is to let him escape in a neat, clean, typical Blofeld-esque way. No 'The Joker' stuff please. And all of this during the first 20 to 30 min's of the film. So that during the rest of the film Bond can do a plain, solid, secret mission again! No more personal backgrounds, instead more secrecy!

"From Russia With Love" IMO could still serve as the best template on how to make SPECTRE and Blofeld become secret again.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 's idea:
    @Gustav_Graves, I'm sorry, but EON aren't just going to let Blofeld hide away again, especially with how much Waltz would cost them.

If Blofeld is back in a Craig-starring Bond 25, it's going to be a full-out conflict between the two, in a film that holds nothing back and pulls no stops. There's no reason not to throw everything and the kitchen sink at this thing since EON have already used up a modern interpretation of SPECTRE at the tail end of Dan's era. They started it, now they must finish it.

It would've been far more interesting to see SPECTRE develop throughout a new actor's era as they did with Connery back at the very start, but they've blown their chances of that now and have to make due with what they've got.

It's a shame Marvel got to the idea first, but it would have been interesting to see SPECTRE infecting MI6 from the inside as hidden in plain sight sleeper agents gaining control in secret for decades working in the same headquarters as their enemies in each major nation's intelligence services.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,756
    How about Bond starts setting the trend again and stops following the post-9/11 atmosphere cliches? That template has become heavily tiresome. And please, no molehunt.

Well, I think my above post shows that in great detail no? NOT looking to post-9/11 atmosphere clichés, but instead move again to Ian Fleming's interpretation of SPECTRE. That template can never be tiresome, because it's Bond...

Have to disagree with you. Ian Fleming's version of SPECTRE was a result of the times. Post War Soviet paranoia. That had shifted through Moore's years, to Dalton, to the Post-Cold war Bond. Then Post 9-11 Bond. Bond is a product of the times, and it would be silly and outdated to do this whole Russian paranoia thing again.

Michael G. Wilson said it the best, that whatever scares people is what Bond's next mission should be. The last decade and a half it's been terrorism and it's anonymity.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,325

This is right. Apart from the fact that Dalton did screentest. The only Bonds not to screentest are Connery and Moore and Brosnan only in 1986.
    @Gustav_Graves

Splendid ideas really. But I don't believe it will be anything like that.

Bond 25 will maybe feature Spectre as an organisation and maybe feature Blofeld, but if the franchise has taught us anything then that continuation is not its forte. And it didn't need to be anyway.

Waltz coming back is highly unlikely. Not only would he have to be free when Bond 25 will get made but also he would have to be interested and he couldn't ask for too much money.

Furthermore he would be the first main villain to return. It won't happen.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

@DaltonCraig007, you're somewhat missing my point here. The Craig era has been all about connecting the films, especially with the latest ones. SP changed a lot of things in this era and shook it up big time. If Dan comes back, so will Madeleine, Blofeld and SPECTRE, as they were massive parts of SP and would be vital in Bond 25 to tell the story they plan on telling. That is a fact. EON aren't just going to forget all that's been developed in SP. They are aware that consumers will eat up Bond, and they're going to tell the story they want, knowing people will flock no matter what.

By saying the audiences will accept anything they're given adds more weight to my claim than yours. If they will take anything, EON will continue to connect the dots of Bond 25 with SP with the assurance that appetites will always be high for Bond, especially with Dan in the leading role. We have this continuity argument once every two weeks, and each time it factors into this less and less.

They intentionally left it vague at the end of SP. Blofeld captured. No professing of love for Madeline by Bond. It can be interpreted any way you want, and that's what the filmmakers wanted. Options.

It's pretty clear Bond and Madeleine are going away, and Bond is leaving MI6 (and not just going on temporary leave). It's the only thing that makes sense with what we're given. Bond just going on holiday for a while with plans to return to MI6 soon after makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,119
    @Gustav_Graves

Bond 25 will maybe feature Spectre as an organisation and maybe feature Blofeld, but if the franchise has taught us anything then that continuation is not its forte. And it didn't need to be anyway.

Waltz coming back is highly unlikely. Not only would he have to be free when Bond 25 will get made but also he would have to be interested and he couldn't ask for too much money.

For me it's all about the splendidness of ideas, not so much about what will really happen ;-). Thanks for your remark buddy.
    It's pretty clear Bond and Madeleine are going away, and Bond is leaving MI6 (and not just going on temporary leave). It's the only thing that makes sense with what we're given. Bond just going on holiday for a while with plans to return to MI6 soon after makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    I disagree. It's not clear to me at all what he's doing and I think that was the intention behind that ending. It's open ended. One can interpret it anyway one wants to, and that was the point behind it.
    @Gustav_Graves

For me it's all about the splendidness of ideas, not so much about what will really happen ;-). Thanks for your remark buddy.

Oh! Splendid ideas I have a plenty!

Pierce Brosnan still kicks ass.

Bring him back. Bring Judi Dench and Samantha Bond back. And Colin Salmon. And Robbie Coltrane. And Joe Don Baker and John Cleese.

It's 15 years since the happenings of DAD.

Pierce has since been retired but now he has to fight one last war for M.
    A dangerous ghost of the past has returned. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (played by Michael Caine).
    So M asks Bond to return to the service. His wife, Moneypenny, doesn't approve at first, but she gets he has to do it.

The movie will be some mixture of John Wick, Quantum Of Solace, The November Man and Mamma Mia. Pierce can sing you know.
    @Gustav_Graves

Bring him back. Bring Judi Dench and Samantha Bond back. And Colin Salmon. And Robbie Coltrane. And Joe Don Baker and John Cleese.

A dangerous ghost of the past has returned. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (played by Michael Caine).
    So M asks Bond to return to the service. His wife, Moneypenny, doesn't approve at first, but she gets he has to do it.

The movie will be some mixture of John Wick, Quantum Of Solace, The November Man and Mamma Mia. Pierce can sing you know.

Sounds like another Bond film directed by Lee Tamahori
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,756
    @Gustav_Graves

DC can sing too.

I disagree. It's not clear to me at all what he's doing and I think that was the intention behind that ending. It's open ended. One can interpret it anyway one wants to, and that was the point behind it.

Considering Bond needed to give his old life up to go with Madeleine (and in front of M he tosses his gun and walks away without a word), then takes off with Madeleine at the end after Q makes it pretty clear he's going away, it's pretty darn obvious what Bond is doing.

He knows Madeleine won't accept him while he's still attached to MI6, so he had to let that part of himself go to head off with her. He's not just taking a week or two off, he's doing this with his future in mind.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Daniel also sings 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone' (fantastic song) by The Temptations while waiting on a hit in 'Munich.'

Considering Bond needed to give his old life up to go with Madeleine (and in front of M he tosses his gun and walks away without a word), then takes off with Madeleine at the end after Q makes it pretty clear he's going away, it's pretty darn obvious what Bond is doing.

He knows Madeleine won't accept him while he's still attached to MI6, so he had to let that part of himself go to head off with her. He's not just taking a week or two off, he's doing this with his future in mind.
    Again, I disagree with you. It's obvious to you, and you've interpreted it one way. I can go with that, but it's only one interpretation, and certainly not the only one.

Bond has been known to do rogue things in the past on many occasions in the films, and even more so recently. So throwing the gun in the river and walking away with Madeline rather than putting a bullet in Blofeld's head is hardly conclusive. I'd throw the gun away in the spur of the moment as well if I had just decided not to kill the author of all my pain. It's symbolic more than literal.

Who knows what happened between that time and his picking up the Aston. It could be the 'overdue holiday' he mentions at the start, or it could indeed be that he is leaving for good.

Regarding Madeliene and her protests in London, there are other instances of Bond girls saying one thing and then changing their mind (Anya threatening to kill Bond after the mission is over is just one example).

Ultimately they kept this open ended so they could go in a number of directions. Make it Craig's swansong (if as you say, he's left for good) or make him come back for a confrontation with Blofeld (as you prefer) or come back for a standalone (as they did with SF, and which I'd prefer).

The longer this drags inconclusively without news, the more likelihood Craig is out or we have a standalone imho.
    Swann is clearly set up as a new version of tracy Bond and Mr. White as the new Draco ironically enough I had the idea of White's Daughter being a bond girl back in 2010...