No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,756
    Alright lads, I just finished my recut of Spectre. It was a very tough job, I'm anxious to take a look at how the film works as a whole.

Probably the London act was the hardest to get convincingly to how I wanted it. I first considered what I could possibly do to change the direction of the film at this point. So what I ended up doing was making it seemed like Bond went back to London with Madeline minus: "It's not over yet."

Return back to London, we cut to the safe house scene. M sees Bond: "It's safe". Cut back to the gate and cars outside. I was able to pull it off convincingly enough where it seemed like Bond had met up with Mallory after his expedition and was ready for a debriefing back at MI6 instead of splitting up as a team with a purpose. So it's almost as if the film is supposed to end, but Newman's score tells us otherwise. We think everything is fine until Bond and Mallory get rammed. From there I cut out all the mi6 team scenes that have to do with the Nine Eyes plot. Focussing on Bond's running in MI6. So basically when the bridge scene came around, the removal of the Nine Eye's elements weren't necessary anymore and Blofeld was simply a terrorist that got arrested. So I was able to successfully remove the whole Nine Eyes plot, and hopefully let's see if it works.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @ClarkDevlin, very perceptive. She's actually the woman I read lines with when EON made me do the famous FRWL bed scene to see if I had the Bond "stuff." I'll tell you what, I didn't have to act in love with her during any of it, and I think that was the audition that really got me the gig. What a dame...
    I don't blame you. I don't blame you, at all. If a man's got it, a man's got it. Apparently, you got it. /:)
    Hugs and kisses bitches, all us Bond bitches up in here for 2016 and up until the grave. :)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That just proved my point up there. Thanks for the link, @tanaka123.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,692
    This track was composed by Antonio Pinto for 'Collateral', which he re-arranged for 'Senna':

And here's 2 tracks he did for 'Lord of War':

An action cue from 'Senna':

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Henry Saltzman? Journalism is as accurate as ever.

Anyway, nothing in that article surprises me. Most people know what Craig meant when he made those comments but come on now, he's played the game long enough and he knows how the media works. Regardless if one respects Craig for saying whatever how he sees fit isn't the point. Bond is a circus and when you're the lead actor, you're walking a very tight rope.

As for MgM, they didn't really need to be haemorrhaging cash at the BO for one to see their bargaining position was already flawed. They had an unreasonably sweet deal with Sony that no other self respecting and business savvy studio would go for. This distribution deal is going to drag out for ages unless Sony get again.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Henry Saltzman? Journalism is as accurate as ever.

Anyway, nothing in that article surprises me. Most people know what Craig meant when he made those comments but come on now, he's played the game long enough and he knows how the media works. Regardless if one respects Craig for saying whatever how he sees fit isn't the point. Bond is a circus and when you're the lead actor, you're walking a very tight rope.

As for MgM, they didn't really need to be haemorrhaging cash at the BO for one to see their bargaining position was already flawed. They had an unreasonably sweet deal with Sony that no other self respecting and business savvy studio would go for. This distribution deal is going to drag out for ages unless Sony get again.

Yes, I think they meant Herschel Saltzman
    Harry was very vindictive when he sold out to UA
    Yes, good ole Henry made some bad investments that unfortunately impacted Cubby as well.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    it's a smart move from EON to delay til 2019. Poldark series 3 will have been completed by then.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The last thing I hope to see is EON delaying this another year, in hopes of waiting for one person to be available.
    I really do feel the series risks dwindling to nothing with these delays. It's not even really a continuing series at this point, but an occasional occurrence.
    After Spectre's troubled production - apparently BB was almost at breaking point at one stage, apparently Mendes nearly walked out at one stage, Logan effectively sacked, DC's infamous wrist slashing comments, which obviously wrankled with Barber, who doesn't seem keen to get another Bond out quickly with his 3-4 year cycle comments - it felt like the dust needed time to settle, but it does feel like it's taking a long time to settle, not sure how this is all going to pan out - think Bond 25 could be some time off, there were promising comments made after Spectre's release that they were sitting down and starting the usual MGW and BB starting point of what's the current problem in the world and that a new distributor would possibly be sorted Feb 2016. Nothing much has happened since then except BB's producing commitments and DC's acting commitments. Are we waiting for DC? Are we waiting for BB? Are we waiting for a new distributor? Are they procrastinating because they don't want another Spectre production-like debacle? Do they have no idea where they're going to take the series?
    After Spectre's troubled production - apparently BB was almost at breaking point at one stage, apparently Mendes nearly walked out at one stage, Logan effectively sacked, DC's infamous wrist slashing comments, which obviously wrankled with Barber, who doesn't seem keen to get another Bond out quickly with his 3-4 year cycle comments - it felt like the dust needed time to settle, but it does feel like it's taking a long time to settle, not sure how this is all going to pan out - think Bond 25 could be some time off, there were promising comments made after Spectre's release that they were sitting down and starting the usual MGW and BB starting point of what's the current problem in the world and that a new distributor would possibly be sorted Feb 2016. Nothing much has happened since then except BB's producing commitments and DC's acting commitments. Are we waiting for DC? Are we waiting for BB? Are we waiting for a new distributor? Are they procrastinating because they don't want another Spectre production-like debacle? Do they have no idea where they're going to take the series?

I'd say all of the above. With the internet communities taking great pleasure in this troubled production, and spreading all kinds of negativity throughout 2015 to the James Bond name, I wouldn't be surprised if Eon is truly at a loss. On a positive note, SP did well enough at the box office that at least we are still promised another film.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    SP did well enough?
    That's the understatement of the year!
    SP did well enough?

This. Love or hate the movie, but it made almost $900 million worldwide, which is a great success. Sure, making less at the box office than SF did isn't great, but there was no way after that astounding, aforementioned success that the films from there on out were going to gross $1.2 billion+ every single time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I'd say all of the above. With the internet communities taking great pleasure in this troubled production, and spreading all kinds of negativity throughout 2015 to the James Bond name, I wouldn't be surprised if Eon is truly at a loss. On a positive note, SP did well enough at the box office that at least we are still promised another film.

I don't recall there being any sort of pleasure taken over SP's problematic production; even in the media. What I do remember and still holds true till date was the concern and frustration at how SP's preproduction timeline was so inanely managed.

A lot of @tanaka123's post is true. EoN left Logan completely unchecked, they waited a year just for Mendes and with things looking so bad and so close to the filming date Mendes wanted to bail. Seriously? After all that and waiting a year for Mendes he wanted to drop out? For a company that's been around for over half a century and who's only job is to make Bond films, EoN completely fucked up with SP. They get no pass from me. Even Newman managed to submit an impressively terrible score to match the whole half arsed production.

Possibly other than a few Bourne extremists I haven't come across any pleasure being taken from this whole SP business. People have been; and are concerned, angry, frustrated and irritated by how the film was handled AND the never ending extenuating circumstances that seem to have plagued the Craig era since QoS.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    SP did well enough?
    It was a major success, which contributed to a major drop at MGM.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The last thing I hope to see is EON delaying this another year, in hopes of waiting for one person to be available.

Where did someone read or hear about a delay?
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Where did someone read or hear about a delay?

Nothing, I was replying to @Mendes4Lyfe's comment about waiting until 2019, as Aiden Turner would be free then.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I suggest to delay Bond 25 until 2021 so @Creasy47 will be old enough to be the next Bond.
    Oh ok ...thanks. SP made a lot but also cost a lot.

We need positive news ...we're in a funk.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I take @Mendes4Lyfe 's comment as humorous as it sure was meant that way.
    Ok I'll go with that :D
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Oh ok ...thanks. SP made a lot but also cost a lot.

We need positive news ...we're in a funk.

This, too. Solid box office returns, but it would've been even better if the overall budget was chopped by $50 million or more.

@DaltonCraig007, I like this idea. 30-year old American playing Bond, you guys are going to love my take on the series.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I really can't wait for the next Bond film. I'm sure it's going to be spectacular and one for the ages. I'm willing to go Banco on it.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 40,516
    bondjames wrote: »
    I really can't wait for the next Bond film. I'm sure it's going to be spectacular and one for the ages. I'm willing to go Banco on it.

I can. After not being incredibly satisfied with the series over the last few years (mostly due to Mendes, I'd say), I have plenty of incredible looking, promising movies to keep me satisfied over the next few years. 'Bond 25' isn't even on my radar these days; mostly because we know nothing about it, and it looks like that may be the case for a while, unfortunately.

I'm sure this will change once concrete information starts pouring in and things start to pick up with the installment.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I don't recall there being any sort of pleasure taken over SP's problematic production; even in the media. What I do remember and still holds true till date was the concern and frustration at how SP's preproduction timeline was so inanely managed.

A lot of @tanaka123's post is true. EoN left Logan completely unchecked, they waited a year just for Mendes and with things looking so bad and so close to the filming date Mendes wanted to bail. Seriously? After all that and waiting a year for Mendes he wanted to drop out? For a company that's been around for over half a century and who's only job is to make Bond films, EoN completely fucked up with SP. They get no pass from me. Even Newman managed to submit an impressively terrible score to match the whole half arsed production.

Possibly other than a few Bourne extremists I haven't come across any pleasure being taken from this whole SP business. People have been; and are concerned, angry, frustrated and irritated by how the film was handled AND the never ending extenuating circumstances that seem to have plagued the Craig era since QoS.

Absobloodyexactly.

There seem to be plenty of people here happy to guzzle down whatever Kool Aid EON serve up and can't understand those of us who strive for better.

There are some who think SP is brilliant, which is their prerogative, but there are plenty of us who think it was something of a shambles.

I think the final film was decent enough (if you get the likes of DC, Lea, Waltz, Fiennes, Wishaw, Van Hoytema and Mendes (who is reasonable despite his faults) and throw $250m at them you ought to come up with something watchable) but the reason there is so much SP bashing is not because it was awful but because it should have been way, way better.

@doubleoego has it bang on that EON have to ultimately take the blame for everything.

They waited another year for Mendes, which I can understand given SF's box office, but it seems like they just said to Logan 'Can you get the script written by two weeks before we start shooting?' and then left him to it.

Who the f**k was monitoring the script because clearly EON weren't and Mendes wanting to walk at the 11th hour suggests he wasn't either. They had an extra year, thanks to the wait for Mendes, to get the script licked into shape yet we end up with P&W doing it 5 mins before shooting starts?

The best you can say it is lazy and sloppy pre-production by EON, but there's certainly a case to answer of dereliction of duty.

We don't want to whinge SP lovers but we also don't want to watch a desperately hamfisted retconning, a travesty in stepbrothergate and a third act that falls apart when with a bit of care and attention we could have had an absolutely cracking Bond film.

I'm often reminded of Rafa Benitez who, after the final penalty went in Istanbul in 2005, spent about 2 mins celebrating before his mind turned to how to improve the team for next season.

Sadly it seems after the success of SF EON went just for the Jack Wilshire approach of getting pissed and singing about Spurs an assuming the next film would make itself.

The hardest thing is not getting to the top, it's staying there.

Sort your shit out EON and concentrate on what you are doing.

Absobloodyexactly.

There seem to be plenty of people here happy to guzzle down whatever Kool Aid EON serve up and can't understand those of us who strive for better.

There are some who think SP is brilliant, which is their prerogative, but there are plenty of us who think it was something of a shambles.

I think the final film was decent enough (if you get the likes of DC, Lea, Waltz, Fiennes, Wishaw, Van Hoytema and Mendes (who is reasonable despite his faults) and throw $250m at them you ought to come up with something watchable) but the reason there is so much SP bashing is not because it was awful but because it should have been way, way better.

@doubleoego has it bang on that EON have to ultimately take the blame for everything.

They waited another year for Mendes, which I can understand given SF's box office, but it seems like they just said to Logan 'Can you get the script written by two weeks before we start shooting?' and then left him to it.

Who the f**k was monitoring the script because clearly EON weren't and Mendes wanting to walk at the 11th hour suggests he wasn't either. They had an extra year, thanks to the wait for Mendes, to get the script licked into shape yet we end up with P&W doing it 5 mins before shooting starts?

The best you can say it is lazy and sloppy pre-production by EON, but there's certainly a case to answer of dereliction of duty.

We don't want to whinge SP lovers but we also don't want to watch a desperately hamfisted retconning, a travesty in stepbrothergate and a third act that falls apart when with a bit of care and attention we could have had an absolutely cracking Bond film.

I'm often reminded of Rafa Benitez who, after the final penalty went in Istanbul in 2005, spent about 2 mins celebrating before his mind turned to how to improve the team for next season.

Sadly it seems after the success of SF EON went just for the Jack Wilshire approach of getting pissed and singing about Spurs an assuming the next film would make itself.

The hardest thing is not getting to the top, it's staying there.

Sort your shit out EON and concentrate on what you are doing.

Agreed.

....not even any blu-ray commentary to at least share with us the thoughts behind what we saw.