No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    After Spectre's troubled production - apparently BB was almost at breaking point at one stage, apparently Mendes nearly walked out at one stage, Logan effectively sacked, DC's infamous wrist slashing comments, which obviously wrankled with Barber, who doesn't seem keen to get another Bond out quickly with his 3-4 year cycle comments - it felt like the dust needed time to settle, but it does feel like it's taking a long time to settle, not sure how this is all going to pan out - think Bond 25 could be some time off, there were promising comments made after Spectre's release that they were sitting down and starting the usual MGW and BB starting point of what's the current problem in the world and that a new distributor would possibly be sorted Feb 2016. Nothing much has happened since then except BB's producing commitments and DC's acting commitments. Are we waiting for DC? Are we waiting for BB? Are we waiting for a new distributor? Are they procrastinating because they don't want another Spectre production-like debacle? Do they have no idea where they're going to take the series?

I'd say all of the above. With the internet communities taking great pleasure in this troubled production, and spreading all kinds of negativity throughout 2015 to the James Bond name, I wouldn't be surprised if Eon is truly at a loss. On a positive note, SP did well enough at the box office that at least we are still promised another film.

I don't recall there being any sort of pleasure taken over SP's problematic production; even in the media. What I do remember and still holds true till date was the concern and frustration at how SP's preproduction timeline was so inanely managed.

A lot of @tanaka123's post is true. EoN left Logan completely unchecked, they waited a year just for Mendes and with things looking so bad and so close to the filming date Mendes wanted to bail. Seriously? After all that and waiting a year for Mendes he wanted to drop out? For a company that's been around for over half a century and who's only job is to make Bond films, EoN completely fucked up with SP. They get no pass from me. Even Newman managed to submit an impressively terrible score to match the whole half arsed production.

Possibly other than a few Bourne extremists I haven't come across any pleasure being taken from this whole SP business. People have been; and are concerned, angry, frustrated and irritated by how the film was handled AND the never ending extenuating circumstances that seem to have plagued the Craig era since QoS.

Absobloodyexactly.

There seem to be plenty of people here happy to guzzle down whatever Kool Aid EON serve up and can't understand those of us who strive for better.

There are some who think SP is brilliant, which is their prerogative, but there are plenty of us who think it was something of a shambles.

I think the final film was decent enough (if you get the likes of DC, Lea, Waltz, Fiennes, Wishaw, Van Hoytema and Mendes (who is reasonable despite his faults) and throw $250m at them you ought to come up with something watchable) but the reason there is so much SP bashing is not because it was awful but because it should have been way, way better.

@doubleoego has it bang on that EON have to ultimately take the blame for everything.

They waited another year for Mendes, which I can understand given SF's box office, but it seems like they just said to Logan 'Can you get the script written by two weeks before we start shooting?' and then left him to it.

Who the f**k was monitoring the script because clearly EON weren't and Mendes wanting to walk at the 11th hour suggests he wasn't either. They had an extra year, thanks to the wait for Mendes, to get the script licked into shape yet we end up with P&W doing it 5 mins before shooting starts?

The best you can say it is lazy and sloppy pre-production by EON, but there's certainly a case to answer of dereliction of duty.

We don't want to whinge SP lovers but we also don't want to watch a desperately hamfisted retconning, a travesty in stepbrothergate and a third act that falls apart when with a bit of care and attention we could have had an absolutely cracking Bond film.

I'm often reminded of Rafa Benitez who, after the final penalty went in Istanbul in 2005, spent about 2 mins celebrating before his mind turned to how to improve the team for next season.

Sadly it seems after the success of SF EON went just for the Jack Wilshire approach of getting pissed and singing about Spurs an assuming the next film would make itself.

The hardest thing is not getting to the top, it's staying there.

Sort your shit out EON and concentrate on what you are doing.

Agreed.

....not even any blu-ray commentary to at least share with us the thoughts behind what we saw.
    Yes. That was truly bizarre.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I am torn concerning Mendes and the lot.

While they gave me the worst of all Bond movies (SF) they also gave me the best of them all (SP).
    They bookend my ranking even!

In retrospect I can take SF as it is because there is SP now.

But if I could turn back time and prevent Mendes getting the gig, I would.
    Sure, it's not a guarantee Craig Bond No 3 and 4 would have been better but I'd take the chance.

In my humble opinion even QOS would have been a smashing success in 2012 as it was mainly the hype, the 50th Anniversary nostalgia and the perfect storm that was the marketing campaign that made SF hit a billion.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SF didn't hit $1bn purely on the basis of marketing. It was a stellar Bond film, which had 'legs' at the box office. There were many people who went back more than once to watch it again. That is what gave it those numbers.

RE: SP and the script etc. I think it was just hubris. They seemed to get ahead of themselves after the success of SF and lost sight of what made that film successful critically. This can be gleaned even from the video logs that preceded the film's release.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Will Bautista return for Bond 25?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    He'll be Bond in Bond 26.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    jake24 wrote: »
    After Spectre's troubled production - apparently BB was almost at breaking point at one stage, apparently Mendes nearly walked out at one stage, Logan effectively sacked, DC's infamous wrist slashing comments, which obviously wrankled with Barber, who doesn't seem keen to get another Bond out quickly with his 3-4 year cycle comments - it felt like the dust needed time to settle, but it does feel like it's taking a long time to settle, not sure how this is all going to pan out - think Bond 25 could be some time off, there were promising comments made after Spectre's release that they were sitting down and starting the usual MGW and BB starting point of what's the current problem in the world and that a new distributor would possibly be sorted Feb 2016. Nothing much has happened since then except BB's producing commitments and DC's acting commitments. Are we waiting for DC? Are we waiting for BB? Are we waiting for a new distributor? Are they procrastinating because they don't want another Spectre production-like debacle? Do they have no idea where they're going to take the series?

I'd say all of the above. With the internet communities taking great pleasure in this troubled production, and spreading all kinds of negativity throughout 2015 to the James Bond name, I wouldn't be surprised if Eon is truly at a loss. On a positive note, SP did well enough at the box office that at least we are still promised another film.

I don't recall there being any sort of pleasure taken over SP's problematic production; even in the media. What I do remember and still holds true till date was the concern and frustration at how SP's preproduction timeline was so inanely managed.

A lot of @tanaka123's post is true. EoN left Logan completely unchecked, they waited a year just for Mendes and with things looking so bad and so close to the filming date Mendes wanted to bail. Seriously? After all that and waiting a year for Mendes he wanted to drop out? For a company that's been around for over half a century and who's only job is to make Bond films, EoN completely fucked up with SP. They get no pass from me. Even Newman managed to submit an impressively terrible score to match the whole half arsed production.

Possibly other than a few Bourne extremists I haven't come across any pleasure being taken from this whole SP business. People have been; and are concerned, angry, frustrated and irritated by how the film was handled AND the never ending extenuating circumstances that seem to have plagued the Craig era since QoS.

Absobloodyexactly.

There seem to be plenty of people here happy to guzzle down whatever Kool Aid EON serve up and can't understand those of us who strive for better.

There are some who think SP is brilliant, which is their prerogative, but there are plenty of us who think it was something of a shambles.

I think the final film was decent enough (if you get the likes of DC, Lea, Waltz, Fiennes, Wishaw, Van Hoytema and Mendes (who is reasonable despite his faults) and throw $250m at them you ought to come up with something watchable) but the reason there is so much SP bashing is not because it was awful but because it should have been way, way better.

@doubleoego has it bang on that EON have to ultimately take the blame for everything.

They waited another year for Mendes, which I can understand given SF's box office, but it seems like they just said to Logan 'Can you get the script written by two weeks before we start shooting?' and then left him to it.

Who the f**k was monitoring the script because clearly EON weren't and Mendes wanting to walk at the 11th hour suggests he wasn't either. They had an extra year, thanks to the wait for Mendes, to get the script licked into shape yet we end up with P&W doing it 5 mins before shooting starts?

The best you can say it is lazy and sloppy pre-production by EON, but there's certainly a case to answer of dereliction of duty.

We don't want to whinge SP lovers but we also don't want to watch a desperately hamfisted retconning, a travesty in stepbrothergate and a third act that falls apart when with a bit of care and attention we could have had an absolutely cracking Bond film.

I'm often reminded of Rafa Benitez who, after the final penalty went in Istanbul in 2005, spent about 2 mins celebrating before his mind turned to how to improve the team for next season.

Sadly it seems after the success of SF EON went just for the Jack Wilshire approach of getting pissed and singing about Spurs an assuming the next film would make itself.

Agreed.

....not even any blu-ray commentary to at least share with us the thoughts behind what we saw.

Not in the slightest. In fact I'll be surprised if we ever get a commentary for SP. They're hardly going to want to be sitting there saying 'I remember originally this scene was a lot worse but then we sacked Logan' or 'Do you remember when you first read this bit Sam and you threatened to walk? Lol'

There's no one involved in the making of the film who wants any more about what happened behind the scenes coming out than has already been leaked.

We'll have to wait 20 years for a decent SP commentary.
    SP was engulfed in negativity through 2015. From the leaks to the opening. With countless, immensely boring articles on who should replace Daniel, there was an aura of negativity surrounding SP. First words I heard leaving SP were "what a horrible script!!".
    It certainly impacted my enjoyment of the film, and I can attest being one of about only 4 people in the auditorium on one viewing. And at that point the film hadn't even been out a month. Certainly it made a lot of money, but then again ticket prices are extremely expensive now.
    I felt Eon was really just coasting on the success of SF and assuming whatever rubbish Logan would come up with would be fine.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Absobloodyexactly.

Agreed.

Not in the slightest. In fact I'll be surprised if we ever get a commentary for SP. They're hardly going to want to be sitting there saying 'I remember originally this scene was a lot worse but then we sacked Logan' or 'Do you remember when you first read this bit Sam and you threatened to walk? Lol'

There's no one involved in the making of the film who wants any more about what happened behind the scenes coming out than has already been leaked.

Very similar occurrences happened during the production of DAD. Yet two alternate commentaries were recorded and subsequently released. I guess EoN are more coy these days.
    What will be interesting years from now is the actual perspective people have on SP then. I think it will go up in rankings, if Bond 25 is a continuation of the story most especially. Also, people will (and should now) look at it as a change of pace and a switch up from SK. The movies are so different from each other, and we need that for this franchise to survive long-term. We need variety and films in the franchise to be different from each other in order to give us something to talk about.

The Bond franchise has survived this long because of that.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    What will be interesting years from now is the actual perspective people have on SP then. I think it will go up in rankings, if Bond 25 is a continuation of the story most especially. Also, people will (and should now) look at it as a change of pace and a switch up from SK. The movies are so different from each other, and we need that for this franchise to survive long-term. We need variety and films in the franchise to be different from each other in order to give us something to talk about.

You have a point.

I just wish they would get on with making the films more often, because then those who don't like a particular film all that much don't have so long to wait for another one which they may prefer.That was always the good thing about the 2 yr cycle.

If they want to take longer than that, then they'd better hit it out of the park with 'most of the fans' in my view, because they have less room for error (i.e. they cannot deliver an entry which polarizes the fanbase).
    bondjames wrote: »

You have a point.

I just wish they would get on with making the films more often, because then those who don't like a particular film all that much don't have so long to wait for another one which they may prefer.That was always the good thing about the 2 yr cycle.

If they want to take longer than that, then they'd better hit it out of the park with 'most of the fans' in my view, because they have less room for error (i.e. they cannot deliver an entry which polarizes the fanbase).

Well said! There is nothing worse than a long wait up leading to an inferior Bond film. Sadly this trend started with the masterpiece Die Another Day and even worse, it continues to this day.
    At this point there is no excuse for Eon to not deliver 100 % each and every time. I didn't really loathe SP, though. With just a bit tighter editing, complete removal of the Bond/Blofeld past link nonsense, and a score that doesn't make me appreciate Eric Serra or Michel Legrand, I might feel SP was classic Bond.
    @ToTheRight

For me that trend started with TWINE. I was utterly disappointed by it after the fantastic GE and similarly spectacular TND.

TWINE and SF are the only two Bond movies that were highly disappointing me at the cinema.
    But I guess DAD and QOS also belong into that category.

But was the Moore/Dalton era really that better thinking of it?
    @BondJasonBond006

I prefer the Moore/Dalton era by a mile actually. For one, Cubby would often address elements fans didn't respond well to and correct that with the next film. For instance, bringing Bond back to his Fleming roots in FYEO after MR.
    Then there was John Barry, who IMO never effed up a Bond film with his score. Even some tracks that one could argue sound tired, I say still were appropriate for Bond and it's specific film.
    Also there was always the continued assurance that the next entry would be out in only 2 years and would probably be superior if the current film didn't quite measure up.
    I actually remember being slightly disappointed with TND, after GE myself. But by my second viewing I was pretty much sold on it as a fun filed TSWLM/MR type entry.
  • CASINOROYALECASINOROYALE Somewhere hot
    Skyfall was mainly popular because of "Adele". The song was number one and constantly played on every radio station, even hip hop channels which is super rare.. Sounds stupid I know, why would people see a movie just for Adele but she is that popular.

To me Spectre was way better than Skyfall.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    What was apparent to me editing down the film to just Bond's angle, is that it's still a weak film minus the Nine Eyes plot. The film tries to be both humerus and serious. One thing I also noticed too is that Craig is a bit too playful throughout the movie. His environment is serious, yet he moves through the film a bit too non-nonchalantly. One minute Swann is talking about how she had to kill someone as a child, then they're dining casually over drinks playfully... It's never been more obvious too many people worked on this film.
  • RC7RC7
    Skyfall was mainly popular because of "Adele". The song was number one and constantly played on every radio station, even hip hop channels which is super rare.. Sounds stupid I know, why would people see a movie just for Adele but she is that popular.

Crazy talk.
    Its interesting you use the word "playful"! That's the exact word Mendes used to describe SP, when he was asked how it differs to SF!
    I think in each case they were trying to please everybody, play it too straight, people say "where is the humour?" Play it light and people say its too much, people say bring back Q, Moneypenny, and then its "They have too much screentime", they get the rights to Blofeld and Spectre, but how do they bring them in an unexpected manner? So they end up looking like they're trying to be too clever!
    After so many movies, it must be a nightmare trying to present the usual ingredients in an original way and please everyone!
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,020
    It's not that crazy.

Adele being the most popular female singer of this decade had a lot to do with the success of Skyfall the movie.
    It was the perfect marketing storm, I have never seen a better one for any film.

If QOS or SP had been in SFs place with Adele's song and celebrating the 50th it would have been as successful as Skyfall.
    Everything fell into place perfectly.

Many of my working colleagues told me how good Skyfall is back then and they hadn't even seen the movie!
    The hype around it was unparalleled and people believed SF was the best Bond since GF and even didn't have to see it.

Personally I view Skyfall as the Emperor's new clothes. Everybody raved about it how great it was, so nobody really dared to say otherwise, especially since the critics made it "official" it was so good.

Skyfall being a movie that polarising on all Bond forums (I know) proves that it is not beyond criticism.

Casino Royale will remain the sole Craig movie that will generally be viewed upon as the very best on forums and with the general public.
    Emperors new clothes is a perfect description of it!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

To me Spectre was way better than Skyfall.

Hmm, never thought of it that way before. Does make sense though. I think people went to see Skyall more as a big event than a film. Were more people going to see the film, or the "trimmings"?
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,512
    It's not that crazy.

Adele being the most popular female singer of this decade had a lot to do with the success of Skyfall the movie.
    It was the perfect marketing storm, I have never seen a better one for any film.

If QOS or SP had been in SFs place with Adele's song and celebrating the 50th it would have been as successful as Skyfall.

Many of my working colleagues told me how good Skyfall is back then and they hadn't even seen the movie!
    The hype around it was unparalleled and people believed SF was the best Bond since GF and even didn't have to see it.

Personally I view Skyfall as the Emperor's new clothes. Everybody raved about it how great it was, so nobody really dared to say otherwise, especially since the critics made it "official" it was so good.

Skyfall being a movie that polarising on all Bond forums (I know) proves that it is not beyond criticism.

Casino Royale will remain the sole Craig movie that will generally be viewed upon as the very best on forums and with the general public.

How's it 'not that crazy'. The guy said, 'SF was mainly popular because of Adele'. That's just patently untrue. SF was popular because loads of people liked it and saw fit to see it multiple times. There's no denying there was a perfect marketing storm that acted as a catalyst, but to distill it down to ill conceived sound bites is just silly.

Look, I'm not even a massive SF fan. I like it, but I wasn't falling over myself with praise. What pisses me off is people like yourself who skew the narrative to suit their own agenda. It was a fucking massive hit and people loved it. We as Bond fans are duty bound to keep the stories straight when it comes to the franchise we all supposedly love so much. You can hate the film all you want, but there's no twisting history.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

I don't know. SP isn't fine wine but more like coffee. First taste well that's ok but about after thirty minutes or so it's a bitter swallow.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Absobloodyexactly.

Agreed.

Very similar occurrences happened during the production of DAD. Yet two alternate commentaries were recorded and subsequently released. I guess EoN are more coy these days.

I'm intrigued as to your source for this statement?

I'm not aware anyone was sacked halfway through or that the director threatened to walk.

Everyone (in terms of EON, the studio and Tamahori) seemed happy enough with it until Bourne and 9/11 made them realise what a trite piece of dreck it really was.
    It's not that crazy.

I think it's undeniable that SF got lucky with the Olympics, Adele and the 50th. Give these bonuses to SP and it would have hit the billion too.

However what is also undeniable is that there was no buzz with SP like there was with SF. Whether that was solely down to the above external factors is debatable but people at work, on the bus, in the pub simply weren't talking about SP like they were SF.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Better Emperor's new clothes than Emperor's shockingly tailored clothes as we got with SP.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,588
    @TheWizardOfIce True, but 9/11 occurred during the late stages of pre-production. Beyond that point they struggled with which way to go in terms of direction; how audiences would react to the flamboyant nature of their film in a post 9/11 world. During late pre-production and into filming the script had to be constantly changed and rewritten. You're right about SP's production being more troubled. DAD was comparably a walk in the park until September 11th hit.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Better Emperor's new clothes than Emperor's shockingly tailored clothes as we got with SP.

ok, that's brilliant, had to laugh out loud or LOL how the young would say... you are shockingly witty as usual!
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The SP production and script troubles reminded me of what I recall hearing during the TND production. That also didn't go so smoothly from what I remember.
    RC7 wrote: »
    It's not that crazy.

How's it 'not that crazy'. The guy said, 'SF was mainly popular because of Adele'. That's just patently untrue. SF was popular because loads of people liked it and saw fit to see it multiple times. There's no denying there was a perfect marketing storm that acted as a catalyst, but to distill it down to ill conceived sound bites is just silly.

Look, I'm not even a massive SF fan. I like it, but I wasn't falling over myself with praise. What pisses me off is people like yourself who skew the narrative to suit their own agenda. It was a fucking massive hit and people loved it. We as Bond fans are duty bound to keep the stories straight when it comes to the franchise we all supposedly love so much. You can hate the film all you want, but there's no twisting history.
    I agree. At least where I am, SF was that year's TDK. Everyone was talking about it and it was the must see film of the year - even more so than the Hobbit. It may have had the Olympics to start it off, but it finished very strongly due to excellent word of mouth and several repeat viewings by 'new to Bond' fans. I heard none of that 'water cooler' talk with SP, and in fact many who were raving about SF didn't even see it.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,020
    @bondjames

I know it doesn't count for the whole world. But SPECTRE was 2015's TDK in Germany/Switzerland/Austria where it sold more tickets than bloody Star Wars and/or Minions for instance.

So depending from where you write, you'll have a different perception of how things went down.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @BondJasonBond006, that is very true.

I agree that it's not what it once was, but the North American market is still a major factor in EON's marketing calculus, and I believe that they will make adjustments on account of SP grossing so much less compared to SF (although it grossed pretty much what other Bond films do normally). For what was essentially a continuation story, the drop off in box office was quite substantial.

Where I am, 'wrist slasher' and 'Sam Smith' were major negatives before the film was released. I recall people writing off the film as s#!^ based on Craig's remarks (I realize that they misunderstood the comments).
    DC's comments were very unfortunate. A bit self indulgent on his part if you als me. I know the context in which he meant them, but still...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,043
    Adele factors into it's success but it certainly wasn't the sole reason.

SF was something different I remember my Mum who usually gets dragged along to watch Bond said she really enjoyed it and it wasn't what she normally expected from a Bond film.

It had something and no SP wouldn't have been the billion dollar grosser like it, or got the reaction it received. SF just appealed to people who wouldn't have normally been that excited by Bond and SP was back to cookie cutter time which might not have been so bad but Sam had to have his cake and eat it, traditional entry but still with the personal element, this film is not going to age well mark my words, it's a jarring mess with a godawful third act.

SF also felt like a DC film still just like CR & QOS. SP to me felt for the first time like Craig was grafted onto something that just didn't suit his Bond, hence the huge jumps in character from SF to SP despite the fact they are clearly not that far apart.