No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007! That's great news!! I've always wanted to see Hamm in an action movie, and I do hope he'll be the gun-wielding action figure in the film.

@bondjames, while I did like how much Henry Cavill channeled and played Solo like Robert Vaughn's portrayal in mannerisms and characteristics, Jon Hamm has always been my choice for Solo alongside Paul Bettany as Illya Kuryakin. Here's a mock-up shot of Hamm I did in the role of Solo, with the UNCLE P38 Special in hand and of course, the badge in his boutonniere.

4d1FqQ3.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Nice shot @ClarkDevlin. Hamm as Solo & Bettany as Kuryakin would have been a stellar choice. A near perfect combination imho.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    bondjames wrote: »
    Nice shot @ClarkDevlin. Hamm as Solo & Bettany as Kuryakin would have been a stellar choice. A near perfect combination imho.

Much better. Cavill and Hammer were the definition of "boys with toys."
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I don't believe leaving Bond limits his career options. On the contrary actually. Bond is a straight jacket for a superior actor, because it's one of the highest forms of 'typecasting' that there is, in the sense that it is normally a defining role for anyone who plays it.

It's testament to the opportunities DC has been given with Bond, and the way he has actually taken and capitalized on them, that he is first and foremost seen to quite a few people as a quality actor, and Bond second. That is a little different from some of his predecessors imho. In a way, his off the cuff remarks about the character in interviews etc. reinforces this perception. It may be bad for DC as Bond, but it is actually very refreshing for DC as an actor. It reaffirms his brand.

At least that is how he appears to me, and I will watch anything else he chooses to do in another genre.

Very much agreed.

Craig first and foremost is an actor's actor and as such was instrumental in attracting some of the talent in front of and behind the camera. Bond was a huge gamble for him as it was he who considered it a risk that could compromise his artistic credibility.

Purity is a quality actor's dream material to work with. On top of that he's being paid a ridiculous amount for it.

What's quite upsetting is, it's obvious the man craves strong material and unfortunately Bond for the most part hasn't been able to deliver on that front. If people read the synopsis of what Purity's about, combined with the sort of actor Craig is, it's easy to understand why Craig would want to take on this project. It's just too good to pass up on and not only that he deserves it. The man wants to be challenged and he wants to exercise his talents in accordance with what he's impassioned by.
    Until i hear officially from Eon? Daniel Craig is James Bond! B-)
    Agreed! Another great combination would've been George Clooney as Solo and Sean Bean as Illya a decade ago. Don't you think, @bondjames?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed! Another great combination would've been George Clooney as Solo and Sean Bean as Illya a decade ago. Don't you think, @bondjames?
    Another inspired choice @ClarkDevlin! Clooney as Solo - that would have been perfect casting, although it would probably have been better in the 90's or early 00's. Bean can play just about anything perfectly.
    echo wrote: »

Much better. Cavill and Hammer were the definition of "boys with toys."
    It always felt to me like they were acting the characters rather than 'being them'. It's a subtle difference, but there was something affected about the performances which didn't feel authentic. I agree that some of these other great choices would probably have been better, especially for Kuryakin.
    Another inspired choice @ClarkDevlin! Clooney as Solo - that would have been perfect casting, although it would probably have been better in the 90's or early 00's. Bean can play just about anything perfectly.
    I heard they were both considered for the role (Clooney twice, both under Tarantino and later Steven Soderbergh) but when Clooney claimed he couldn't do an action film due to his medical grounds, the film went back into development hell, again. And yes, the eras you mentioned would've been the perfect fit for them.

You know? Kyle MacLachlan would've been brilliant for Solo in the early '90s, too. His younger version looks awfully like Robert Vaughn.
    I heard they were both considered for the role (Clooney twice, both under Tarantino and later Steven Soderbergh) but when Clooney claimed he couldn't do an action film due to his medical grounds, the film went back into development hell, again. And yes, the eras you mentioned would've been the perfect fit for them.

You know? Kyle MacLachlan would've been brilliant for Solo in the early '90s, too. His younger version looks awfully like Robert Vaughn.
    You should be a casting director @ClarkDevlin. MacLachlan is another one who would have fit the role like a glove. Brilliant option. I can just see him in the role now as I type this.

You should be a casting director @ClarkDevlin. MacLachlan is another one who would have fit the role like a glove. Brilliant option. I can just see him in the role now as I type this.
    Thank you, sir! Glad we're on the same page! :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I love Jon Hamm. The man could play Kent, Wayne, Bond.....anyone really.

Jon Hamm Sought to Play Archer in Live-Action Film

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/693123-jon-hamm-archer#Ic2PEkA4VkqdkETK.99
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I love Jon Hamm. The man could play Kent, Wayne, Bond.....anyone really.

Jon Hamm Sought to Play Archer in Live-Action Film

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/693123-jon-hamm-archer#Ic2PEkA4VkqdkETK.99
    Yep, I heard that. Although, I don't think they are being serious. I do really believe though that Jeffrey Donovan (best known for playing Michael Westen in Burn Notice) would be the perfect live-action Archer.
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    Who will sing the Bond 25 song after Sam Smith sings Writings on the Wall.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Mickey and Minnie in a love song duet, duh.

In all seriousness, still holding out for Michael Bublé doing a Matt Munro-esque tune with a booming orchestra behind him.
    Eeh... lots of pics of some chap called Luke Evans on previous page for some reason...?
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yes, that seems to be true. Although having said all this, Craig does seem to have grown to enjoy the trappings of stardom over time.

But my point was more about does he think he'll be able to pick and choose his work in the same way if he's no longer Bond? The very patchy performance of his non Bond films suggests he has only limited appeal on his own. Will he be attracting sell out audiences on Broadway once Bond is behind him?

I am sure he knows/realises this and it will probably be a factor in his decision. It's a big role to walk away from, and not just because of the money and the stardom - because of the other stuff it enables you to do.

In what way has he "grown to enjoy the trappings of stardom"? I'm not disagreeing, I honestly don't know what you mean, maybe just haven't noticed.

I would imagine he can pick and choose just as much whether he's Bond or not. I don't think he'd be offered roles depending of whether he's still Bond or not. Not that I know how much effect that would have, but I suspect not really. His name is known more than it was before Bond, that often matters... not necessarily much to movie-makers - they tend to want an actor based more on what they can do acting-wise, but the financiers, who tend to want a Name. The Name will be known after he leaves the Bond role just as much as it is now, so I don't think he needs to worry. Depends on what he wants to do as well, but I'm assuming he'd be fine doing small or medium sized movies, and I can't imagine a good Broadway production's ticket sales would really depend on him still being Bond or not.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    True but then again, tell me WHO is still savely bankable tbese days? RDJ flops outside of IM and people sure love him. DC could make a film that really appeals to the audiences and it can be a hit. That goes of course for every other actor. It could even be a small Indie. Lets see, what Purity can do for him. Its not, tjat he is out of work plus he will always happily take great supporting roles and I doubt those will ever be in short supply. I think, he will becime a great character actor.

True. Movies aren't really sold on actors' names that much. To an extent, yes, but to huge BO numbers, no. Naturally what is a hit depends a lot on budget, too. If the budget is 5-20 million then 100 million at BO is a hit, but if the budget is 200 million then 100 million at BO is pretty much a disaster.

He already is a great character actor, he can just continue doing that.
    I don't believe leaving Bond limits his career options. On the contrary actually. Bond is a straight jacket for a superior actor, because it's one of the highest forms of 'typecasting' that there is, in the sense that it is normally a defining role for anyone who plays it.

It's testament to the opportunities DC has been given with Bond, and the way he has actually taken and capitalized on them, that he is first and foremost seen to quite a few people as a quality actor, and Bond second. That is a little different from some of his predecessors imho. In a way, his off the cuff remarks about the character in interviews etc. reinforces this perception. It may be bad for DC as Bond, but it is actually very refreshing for DC as an actor. It reaffirms his brand.

At least that is how he appears to me, and I will watch anything else he chooses to do in another genre.

I agree with all of this.

And I've seen every movie he has done so far (and almost all the tv stuff), and intend to continue to watch anything he'll do - except theatre on another continent, I suppose...

In all seriousness, still holding out for Michael Bublé doing a Matt Munro-esque tune with a booming orchestra behind him.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, have you listened to Michael Bublé's "Feeling Good"? or seen the music video?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, have you listened to Michael Bublé's "Feeling Good"? or seen the music video?

@ClarkDevlin, yes, of course. Lovely stuff. I think at this point that I've listened to every Bond-esque sounding song Bublé has ever tried his hand at. He's one of my absolute favorites.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but while recording a cover of "Cry Me a River" a few years ago, Michael took a Bond spin on the tune, as well:

@ClarkDevlin, yes, of course. Lovely stuff. I think at this point that I've listened to every Bond-esque sounding song Bublé has ever tried his hand at. He's one of my absolute favorites.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but while recording a cover of "Cry Me a River" a few years ago, Michael took a Bond spin on the tune, as well:

Oh definitely! Cry Me A River, I remember, was pitched by some people as an alternative for Quantum of Solace's main title song. I do love the jazzy stuff in it. Fascinating to say the least.

As for "Feeling Good", the music video got me even more into it when it has the stereotypical James Bond theme in its atmosphere mixed with The Man From UNCLE. Bublé even wears the Napoleon Solo tie!

edited June 2016 Posts: 28,694
    The "Feeling Good" video is one of my favorites. The aesthetic stylings of it just can't be beat, a perfect mesh of all the iconic 60s spy adventures and iconography.
    I am sorry what is this thread about?
    The "Feeling Good" video is one of my favorites. The aesthetic stylings of it just can't be beat, a perfect mesh of all the iconic 60s spy adventures and iconography.
    Well said! I still wonder how some of the critics slammed this song down though... claiming that "Sinatra is spinning in his grave" or something... A review that has been applicant to Bublé's then-current jazz album that included this song, I believe. It's brilliant.
    Well said! I still wonder how some of the critics slammed this song down though... claiming that "Sinatra is spinning in his grave" or something... A review that has been applicant to Bublé's then-current jazz album that included this song, I believe. It's brilliant.

I think Frank would be quite pleased, actually. Don't know what that reviewer was thinking. Frank came from a time where his catalogue of songs were shared with the likes of Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Nat King Cole, Rosemary Clooney and leagues of others, who all added their own spirit, style and influences to them. Bublé has kept that tradition alive in a spectacular fashion, and has made the music that painted a picture of the 40s and 50s a vibrant part of our modern day times as well. The Nora Joneses, Harry Connicks and Bublés of the world should be commended for what they've helped to do.

I think Frank would be quite pleased, actually. Don't know what that reviewer was thinking. Frank came from a time where his catalogue of songs were shared with the likes of Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Nat King Cole, Rosemary Clooney and leagues of others, who all added their own spirit, style and influences to them. Bublé has kept that tradition alive in a spectacular fashion, and has made the music that painted a picture of the 40s and 50s a vibrant part of our modern day times as well. The Nora Joneses, Harry Connicks and Bublés of the world should be commended for what they've helped to do.
    Precisely. The Rat Pack set the stones and pillars (and dammit, Dean Martin's voice is stellar!) and when there was a time these treasures were being forgotten (in the 1980s and early 90s mostly), of all the people who tried to resurrect the style and mannerisms of Jazz, Swing, Big Band and Classic Lounge Music, Michael Bublé was the one to succeed in inserting the trend into the mainstream media.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I second this!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bublé? With respect, I truly never liked his music.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 28,694

Precisely. The Rat Pack set the stones and pillars (and dammit, Dean Martin's voice is stellar!) and when there was a time these treasures were being forgotten (in the 1980s and early 90s mostly), of all the people who tried to resurrect the style and mannerisms of Jazz, Swing, Big Band and Classic Lounge Music, Michael Bublé was the one to succeed in inserting the trend into the mainstream media.

@ClarkDevlin, I think Bublé is the closest we have to Sinatra now. He's a multi-talented showman who can sing and dance, but can also entertain with a quick wit, sense of style and effervescent charm. Not many people know just how side-splittingly funny Michael is. One of my favorite videos of him is this one, taken from the start of one of his concerts where he made a little skit out of introducing all his bandmates, to hilarious effect:

At the risk of further derailing this thread, Peter Cincotti is not bad either.

However, the gold standard for me is Connick's One Fine Thing.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've never cared for Buble's music, hopefully they'll go a completely different route with the next Bond song; I've been missing a nice, rocking jam to kick off a Bond movie.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Why not go full circle and finish the Craig era by getting Chris Cornell back to sing 'You'll Never Forget My Name'. Not very original, but the song would be awesome.
    Cornell coming back would be fantastic!