No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

TND is pretty clever and actually aged well. Fits with the times now actually
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Univex wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    DJCLE84 wrote: »

Like wise.. I think he's great... Just less team MI6 helping Bond in the field, the better.

Agreed. I am a little concerned about that.

One of my major gripes with the otherwise quality driven Craig era.

The only movie it got annoying in was SP.. There was dabs in it in CR QOS and SF, and obviously they've done similar things in previous Bond movies as well.. But not like in SP.. I just felt like that was a little too much..
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan

Me too! They could reboot Fiennes M for B26 like they did for Dench in CR.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 6,677

Like wise.. I think he's great... Just less team MI6 helping Bond in the field, the better.

Agreed. I am a little concerned about that.

One of my major gripes with the otherwise quality driven Craig era.

The only movie it got annoying in was SP.. There was dabs in it in CR QOS and SF, and obviously they've done similar things in previous Bond movies as well.. But not like in SP.. I just felt like that was a little too much..

SF was the worst for me. That whole Istambul mission with Eve and with M listening in was ridiculous. Then again with Q later on. Its like Bond was an instrument to the service, an over empowered muscled bruit with an earpiece and a Mommy issue. The best part was when he dumped the earpiece in the champagne glass and proceeded to be Bond for a bit. That I liked.

At least in SP he was alone (no Scooby gang) in Mexico, Rome, Tangier,..., If only they had kept it that way to the very end.

CR was plagued with cellphones like no other film since.

QOS was ok, actually, with M trying to keep up with Bond and failing, which eventually led to the single coolest moment in Craig's tenure as Bond, when he stylishly dodges Mi6's agents in the inner balcony of his hotel and confronts M about Fields. The music there helps too. QOS really was the best, wasn't it? :)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @Univex, the voice of reason. That you are, sir.
    @Univex, the voice of reason. That you are, sir.
    Many thanks, old friend.
    Gareth007 wrote: »
    Spectre is such a boring title.
    No way. Spectre sounds great.
    Sorry, mate. But, it does not. Might as well they call the sequel MI-6.

Well I loved spectre and it's title.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    This Alan Baltes guy keeps announcing a fake casting call for Bond 25. He deletes the tweet whenever he's exposed and reposts it again. He blocked me on my personal account, too. I think we should report him.

https://laactingauditionsexaminer.blogspot.com/2019/03/open-talent-search-underway-for-metro.html

• edited March 2019 Posts: 416
    I have liked all the titles from bond films. yes, some are better than others, but Spectre sounds great. I dont understand all the hate for it by some of you here ? I cannot beleive bond fans here are saying the hate the title spectre.
    I have liked all the titles from bond films. yes, some are better than others, but Spectre sounds great. I dont understand all the hate for it by some of you here ? I cannot beleive bond fans here are saying the hate the title spectre.

I don't hate it. Back then I loved it. How could I not? It meant the return of a Connery era thing.

But to be fair, it doesn't sound Bondian. It's not as clever as Fleming liked his titles to be, most of the time anyway.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2019 Posts: 4,399
    @Univex ... eh about half of SP was Team MI6.. Moneypenny and Q keeping his real plans a secret - the call to Moneypenny about 'the pale king' - Q in Austria - THEN the whole shoehorned end bit.. say wut u will about SF, but M being so prominent was because she was the plot .. SP, everything I just laid out didn't need to happen - its just to give the actors more to do than sit behind a desk or plod about an armory.. Take those bits out, the movie functions practically the same without skipping a beat.

I don't like the ear piece thing either.. But its not as annoying in that particular movie to me than everything in SP
    @Univex ... eh about half of SP was Team MI6.. Moneypenny and Q keeping his real plans a secret - the call to Moneypenny about 'the pale king' - Q in Austria - THEN the whole shoehorned end bit.. say wut u will about SF, but M being so prominent was because she was the plot .. SP, everything I just laid out didn't need to happen - its just to give the actors more to do than sit behind a desk or plod about an armory.. Take those bits out, the movie functions practically the same without skipping a beat.

Yes, the Scooby gang was a big part of SP. And it made it worst for it. I was referring to the earpiece thing. But yeah, it was awful. Not defending it one bit.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

SF urinates on SP from a huge height. enuff said!

Shardlake wrote: »

ahahahahah

True.
    Yeah the earpiece, especially at the beginning of SF (or really at all) doesn't make much sense.. He's a secret agent - not a regular op.. I didn't mind its use in CR, as Bond was communicating with Carter.. But I really don't consider that as his first 00 assignment.... The part with him in SF chasing Silva but still hardlined back made a little more sense to - because of his escape, and who he was going after - it was the immediate urgency of the situstion, all hands needed to be on deck - that I get.... I just don't want that to also become the norm.. Its all about Bond being on his own.. That's the whole point of being a 00 Secret Agent - like Mathis said in CR, about there being'no Calvary over the next hill'.. Its just up to you and your wits.
    Its all about Bond being on his own.. That's the whole point of being a 00 Secret Agent - like Mathis said in CR, about there being'no Calvary over the next hill'.. Its just up to you and your wits.

Absolutely! That's part of the mystique. One man vs evil, St. George vs the Dragon, even vs Time itself. That is what Bond is all about.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I REALLY REALLY hope Baz has something for us tomorrow night. I’d feel a lot better right now if we knew the date of the press conference.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

Well that explains the piss filter.
    Remington wrote: »
    Well that explains the piss filter.
    ahah, Brilliant :)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The earpiece (with CCTV even) also opening Tomorrow Never Dies in a thrilling way.

These things actually aren't overused, and mix things up in a good way. They regularly play up the overreach of bureaucracy into Bond's world for a short time, he completes the mission in spite of them.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    edited March 2019 Posts: 308
    How would you have bond 25 open on Bond?
    The earpiece (with CCTV even) also opening Tomorrow Never Dies in a thrilling way.

These things actually aren't overused, and mix things up in a good way. They regularly play up the overreach of bureaucracy into Bond's world for a short time, he completes the mission in spite of them.

This too... It always grinds me when they do it.. In a real world spy thriller - I get it.. But Bond has never really been "real world" - yes the current state of our world is always represented - but things are a lot more colorful, larger than life in Bonds world.. I think as they gradually strip that away, we lose a little bit of what makes Bond movies BOND movies.. Its a fantasy...

EDIT: but obviously that's all within reasonable limits of course lol.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Bond on his own would be great next time. A mini-success first, then an even bigger challenge/payoff at the end of the pre-title action. (Like most all the Brosnan films opened.)

But it's all down to execution, there are many, many, many possibilities.

As much as I loath the sibling rivalry in SP - and as much as I do actually like Waltz as Blofeld.. Marc would've been just spot on as well.... In my perfect world, SP would've been used as a vehicle to simply reintroduce them as an organization - save the confrontation with Blofeld for Bond 25 - then have a big blow off for the 60th in 2022 before going on starting a new 007 actor
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,541
    Spectre is best and Tomorrow Never Dies is a nonsensical garbage? I think you've got it backwards.

Yep. At least TND had a double meaning to it. We haven’t got a clever title since that one, actually. Bond’s family motto, childhood manor, a latin frase, a location’s name, an evil organization,... none tried to be clever. Well DUD tried and failed just because it was a stupid stupid film.
    +1. Thank you!

Also, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS is a great title. How anyone could think otherwise beggars belief.

TLD is an amazing title... The only one agree on with him is OP... I don't like it either.
    QOS really was the best, wasn't it? :)

Hated it when it premiered because of the editing (95 cuts in the first two minutes fx). If I look past the editing today, it's probably my favorite of the Craig era: Bond really kicks ass in this one, there are some great location and stunt work, the score is probably the best since TND and so forth.
    Why are we not discussing the fact that filming begins in just 4 days??
    Zekidk wrote: »
    QOS really was the best, wasn't it? :)

Hated it when it premiered because of the editing (95 cuts in the first two minutes fx). If I look past the editing today, it's probably my favorite of the Craig era: Bond really kicks ass in this one, there are some great location and stunt work, the score is probably the best since TND and so forth.

i like QOS as well... i dont consider it one of the best but it's decent... i think it's paced really really well - i love the opening car chase, the foot chase with Mitchell in Sienna and the fight with Mr. Slate - the whole Opera part is fantastic... i get the whole issue with the editing - it never really frustrates me (unless its parts of the boat chase).. its a movie that i kind of give a pass to, because circumstances outside of their control led to the mess of the script we got... in other words, they tried their best with what they could do.. i mean god, when you're basically writing it on the fly - to the point where not only were Forster and Craig trying to figure what to do, but even MGW dusted off his old writing slacks and tried to help sort it out too lol... if the strike never happened - perhaps we get a better script.. but who knows?.... as it is - its okay.. my only really real gripe with it, like i mentioned earlier - was titling the movie QUANTUM OF SOLACE and then naming the secret organization QUANTUM.. thats like putting *Frank's Red Hot on a nice french silk pie - two things by themselves - awesome - together though? it doesn't work, and doesn't make sense lol.

*Frank's Red Hot is a popular brand of hot sauce here in the states - not sure if they have that across pond.. just in case the reference was lost on you lol.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I don't like the ear piece thing either.. But its not as annoying in that particular movie to me than everything in SP

+1