No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RC7RC7
    A ‘best shot’ list without MR top 5 is sacrilege. Stunning cinematography.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    RC7 wrote: »
    A ‘best shot’ list without MR top 5 is sacrilege. Stunning cinematography.

The cinematography and the music are the two undeniable strengths of the film. It's pretty unfortunate that the film went to space, as the SFX took necessary precedent when it came to the way the film was shot.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

For Your Eyes Only, Ian Fleming, 1960.

"Quantum of Solace
    "

The Governor and Bond had come to the wide entrance gates to the grounds of Government House. Beyond them shone, white and black and pink under the moon, the huddle of narrow streets and pretty clapboard houses with gingerbread gables and balconies that is Nassau. With a terrific clatter the sentry came to attention and presented arms. The Governor raised a hand: "All right. Stand at ease." Again the clockwork sentry rattled briefly into life and there was silence.

The Governor said: "And that's the end of the story except for one final quirk of fate. One day a Canadian millionaire turned up at the Blue Hills Hotel and stayed for the winter. At the end of the time he took Rhoda Masters back to Canada and married her. She's lived in clover ever since."

"Good heavens. That was a stroke of luck. Hardly deserved it."
    green-four-leaf-clovers-field-saint-patrick-s-day-vector-seamless-border-isolated-white-background-92404419.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto

"Quantum of Solace
    "

The Governor and Bond had come to the wide entrance gates to the grounds of Government House. Beyond them shone, white and black and pink under the moon, the huddle of narrow streets and pretty clapboard houses with gingerbread gables and balconies that is Nassau. With a terrific clatter the sentry came to attention and presented arms. The Governor raised a hand: "All right. Stand at ease." Again the clockwork sentry rattled briefly into life and there was silence.

The Governor said: "And that's the end of the story except for one final quirk of fate. One day a Canadian millionaire turned up at the Blue Hills Hotel and stayed for the winter. At the end of the time he took Rhoda Masters back to Canada and married her. She's lived in clover ever since."

"Good heavens. That was a stroke of luck. Hardly deserved it."
    green-four-leaf-clovers-field-saint-patrick-s-day-vector-seamless-border-isolated-white-background-92404419.jpg

I'm incredibly overwhelmed when I read Bond's connection to Canada via Fleming's words. I am first generation Canadian-- my parents came from Epping Forest, Essex, and that's where I would summer for two or three months of every year.

I'm proud of my British heritage, and I am proud to be a Canadian. In the summer I played tennis (grass and clay at the Connaught Club in Chingford), golf (Royal Epping Golf Course); and coming back to Canada I played competitive hockey all winter and into spring.

I'd love for film-Bond to touch-down in this great country of Canada (the marriage of my DNA!), but yet, still no word of Bond coming here from anyone in the film industry.

I don't think B25 will be coming to Canada this time out...
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,767
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    The Glen films ooze a certain type of elegance I very much enjoy, and on top of that they had a strong identity, so I´m not staggered by the Suggestion of Glen and Hume.

Glen was very on top of the action scenes, but not so great with the dialogue/drama scenes. If you take a look at, for example, the Bond and Leiter scene in the boat in TLD, the cutting is extremely tight, very little breathing space, in and out of the scene as quickly as possible because the staging was pretty clunky. And this can be seen in many, but certainly not all, of his drama scenes. The staging is very straight forward and not particularly inspired. Cary is in a dIfferent league in that regard.
    No doubt Cary is in a different league. The first Thing that Always Comes to my mind when I think of Glen, and presumably Hume, is a certain Color composition which I love and which for me makes a big part of the definition of the Bond film look. And Scenes like Bond and Milena in FYEO on a huge Terrasse with a gorgeous view of the mediterranean, which for me has Always been a paradigm of elegance. I´ve read a number of Times criticism of the editing in Glen´s films, and I don´t doubt it, but I must confess I´m probably much more sensitive to Lights and Colors than to These editing Details. I mean I realised that QoS is edited quite frenetically, and that SF seems the opposite Approach, but if I was ever bothered by the editing of any Bond film, it certainly was no Glen film.

LeChiffre wrote: »
    John Glen. Good for his time. But not now.

Good with Bond for sure, but outside Bond, well --- Columbus, a motor racing thriller for US TV (can't recall the title), Iron Eagle 5, several episodes of Gerry Anderson's badly dated Space Precinct, etc. But Glen is and remains a very charming man and great fun to work with.
    You lucky b*****, @ColonelSun ;-).

I hope fukunaga makes a tracking shot in bond 25 that's so awesome it puts spectre's opening tracking shot to shame.
    And that is the Problem with tracking shots: a technicality distracting from the Storytelling.
    That shootout tracking shot in Maniac is great fun to watch, but that still doesn´t make me want a tracking shot in Bond 25.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    octofinger wrote: »
    My assumption is that Beyonce wouldn't do it. She's too big a star, takes herself quite seriously, and might consider Bond 'beneath' her. I assume at this point she doesn't get out of bed for less than triple what EON could ever offer her.
    There was a rumour back in 2008 that Beyoncé was working on a song with long time Bond maestro John Barry as a replacement for Amy Winehouse's number. I don't know whatever happened to this and whether the rumours were ever true? I don't think it's beneath her though. Beyoncé also recorded the theme to Bond spoof film Austin Powers: Goldmember back in 2002. Of course, money might be a huge factor in why she hasn't been chosen so far.

Going on a past rumour posted on the NME last year, Beyoncé has been in talks with Barbra Broccoli to record the next one with possibly JAY-Z assisting his wife with the production.
    The Glen films ooze a certain type of elegance I very much enjoy, and on top of that they had a strong identity, so I´m not staggered by the Suggestion of Glen and Hume.

Glen was very on top of the action scenes, but not so great with the dialogue/drama scenes. If you take a look at, for example, the Bond and Leiter scene in the boat in TLD, the cutting is extremely tight, very little breathing space, in and out of the scene as quickly as possible because the staging was pretty clunky. And this can be seen in many, but certainly not all, of his drama scenes. The staging is very straight forward and not particularly inspired. Cary is in a dIfferent league in that regard.
    No doubt Cary is in a different league. The first Thing that Always Comes to my mind when I think of Glen, and presumably Hume, is a certain Color composition which I love and which for me makes a big part of the definition of the Bond film look. And Scenes like Bond and Milena in FYEO on a huge Terrasse with a gorgeous view of the mediterranean, which for me has Always been a paradigm of elegance. I´ve read a number of Times criticism of the editing in Glen´s films, and I don´t doubt it, but I must confess I´m probably much more sensitive to Lights and Colors than to These editing Details. I mean I realised that QoS is edited quite frenetically, and that SF seems the opposite Approach, but if I was ever bothered by the editing of any Bond film, it certainly was no Glen film.

Good with Bond for sure, but outside Bond, well --- Columbus, a motor racing thriller for US TV (can't recall the title), Iron Eagle 5, several episodes of Gerry Anderson's badly dated Space Precinct, etc. But Glen is and remains a very charming man and great fun to work with.

Yes, the editing in Glen's Bond films, mostly cut by the great John Grover (once Glen's assistant editor and assembly editor) is strong. I just mean to say that some of Glen's dialogue/drama scenes needed sharp cutting to push past or liven up some rather flat or basic staging. I think LTK shows Glen's best drama work, partly, I believe, because Dalton was demanding focus on the drama scenes. I'm guessing Cary will work very well with Craig, and I suspect he will also pull together a very strong supporting cast.
    I just mean to say that some of Glen's dialogue/drama scenes needed sharp cutting to push past or liven up some rather flat or basic staging.
    Haha, that´s true.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Dear heavens, PLEASE not Gaga. She is, by more than a few accounts I have read, a total piece of s***t as a person. Truly awful. I know she can sing. It would make me positively ill if she sings the title song.

What accounts would those be? I have read the opposite.

I hope fukunaga makes a tracking shot in bond 25 that's so awesome it puts spectre's opening tracking shot to shame.
    And that is the Problem with tracking shots: a technicality distracting from the Storytelling.
    That shootout tracking shot in Maniac is great fun to watch, but that still doesn´t make me want a tracking shot in Bond 25.

A tracking shot doesn't have to be ten minutes long to be effective.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Oh yes Gaga sounds like a horrible person. [eye roll]

Charities & foundations supported 21

Lady Gaga has supported the following charities listed on this site:

Alzheimer's Association
    American Foundation for AIDS Research
    Artists for Peace and Justice
    Born This Way Foundation
    CLIC Sargent
    DoSomething.org
    Elton John AIDS Foundation
    GLSEN
    GRAMMY Foundation
    It Gets Better Project
    Little Kids Rock
    Lupus Foundation of America
    M·A·C AIDS Fund
    MusiCares
    Oxfam
    Red Cross
    Robin Hood
    Sandy Hook Promise
    Save the Children
    Stand Up To Cancer
    The Trevor Project

https://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/lady-gaga
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 646
    And Scenes like Bond and Milena in FYEO on a huge Terrasse with a gorgeous view of the mediterranean, which for me has Always been a paradigm of elegance.
    This!!!! Absolutely this!!!

One of the most beautiful scenes of the Glen era, maybe even of the entire Bond saga! Dusk setting in, gentle warm breeze, gorgeous view of the Mediterranean, Bond and Melina having a quiet moment, Bill Conti’s beautiful music playing - it’s pure magic. You’re literally transported to that spot in Corfu. If you’re not already a romantic at heart you’ll become one watching this scene.
    And Scenes like Bond and Milena in FYEO on a huge Terrasse with a gorgeous view of the mediterranean, which for me has Always been a paradigm of elegance.
    This!!!! Absolutely this!!!

One of the most beautiful scenes of the Glen era, maybe even of the entire Bond saga! Dusk setting in, gentle warm breeze, gorgeous view of the Mediterranean, Bond and Melina having a quiet moment, Bill Conti’s beautiful music playing - it’s pure magic. You’re literally transported to that spot in Corfu. If you’re not already a romantic at heart you’ll become one watching this scene.
    That´s in fact what happened to me :-)!

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    "For Your Eyes Only
    "
    Bond said softly: "Where have they gone to?"

"America. Right up in the North of Vermont. Up against the Canadian border. Those sort of men like being close to frontiers. Place called Echo Lake. It's some kind of a millionaire's ranch he's rented. Looks pretty from the photographs. Tucked away in the mountains with this little lake in the grounds. He's certainly chosen himself somewhere where he won't be troubled with visitors."
    Two days later, Bond took the Friday Comet to Montreal. He did not care for it. It flew too high and too fast and there were too many passengers. He regretted the days of the old Stratocruiser — that fine lumbering old plane that took ten hours to cross the Atlantic.
    Then one had been able to have dinner in peace, sleep for seven hours in a comfortable bunk, and get up in time to wander down to the lower deck and have that ridiculous BOAC 'country house' breakfast while the dawn came up and flooded the cabin with the first bright gold of the Western hemisphere. Now it was all too quick. The stewards had to serve everything almost at the double, and then one had a bare two hours snooze before the hundred-mile-long descent from forty thousand feet.
    Only eight hours after leaving London, Bond was driving a Hertz U-drive Plymouth saloon along the broad Route 17 from Montreal to Ottawa and trying to remember to keep on the right of the road.

The Headquarters of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are in the Department of Justice alongside Parliament Buildings in Ottawa. Like most Canadian public buildings, the Department of Justice is a massive block of grey masonry built to look stodgily important and to withstand the long and hard winters. Bond had been told to ask at the front desk for the Commissioner and to give his name as 'Mr James'.
    He did so, and a young fresh-faced RCMP corporal, who looked as if he did not like being kept indoors on a warm sunny day, took him up in the lift to the third floor and handed him over to a sergeant in a large tidy office which contained two girl secretaries and a lot of heavy furniture. The sergeant spoke on an intercom and there was a ten minutes' delay during which Bond smoked and read a recruiting pamphlet which made the Mounties sound like a mixture between a dude ranch, Dick Tracy and Rose Marie. When he was shown in through the connecting door a tall youngish man in a dark blue suit, white shirt and black tie turned away from the window and came towards him. "Mr James?" the man smiled thinly. "I'm Colonel, let's say — er — Johns."

They shook hands. "Come along and sit down. The Commissioner's very sorry not to be here to welcome you himself. He has a bad cold — you know, one of those diplomatic ones." Colonel 'Johns' looked amused. "Thought it might be best to take the day off. I'm just one of the help. I've been on one or two hunting trips myself and the Commissioner fixed on me to handle this little holiday of yours," the Colonel paused, "on me only. Right?"

Bond smiled. The Commissioner was glad to help but he was going to handle this with kid gloves. There would be no come-back on his office. Bond thought he must be a careful and very sensible man. He said: "I quite understand. My friends in London didn't want the Commissioner to bother himself personally with any of this. And I haven't seen the Commissioner or been anywhere near his headquarters. That being so, can we talk English for ten minutes or so — just between the two of us?"
    Colonel Johns laughed. "Sure. I was told to make that little speech and then get down to business. You understand, Commander, that you and I are about to connive at various felonies, starting with obtaining a Canadian hunting licence under false pretences and being an accessory to a breach of the frontier laws, and going on down from there to more serious things. It wouldn't do anyone one bit of good to have any ricochets from this little lot. Get me?"

"That's how my friends feel too. When I go out of here, we'll forget each other, and if I end up in Sing-Sing that's my worry. Well, now?"
    Colonel Johns opened a drawer in the desk and took out a bulging file and opened it. The top document was a list. He put his pencil on the first item and looked across at Bond. He ran his eye over Bond's old black and white hound's-tooth tweed suit and white shirt and thin black tie. He said: "Clothes." He unclipped a plain sheet of paper from the file and slid it across the desk. "This is a list of what I reckon you'll need and the address of a big second-hand clothing store here in the city. Nothing fancy, nothing conspicuous — khaki shirt, dark brown jeans, good climbing boots or shoes. See they're comfortable. And there's the address of a chemist for walnut stain. Buy a gallon and give yourself a bath in the stuff. There are plenty of browns in the hills at this time and you won't want to be wearing parachute cloth or anything that smells of camouflage. Right?
    If you're picked up, you're an Englishman on a hunting trip in Canada who's lost his way and got across the border by mistake.
    Rifle. Went down myself and put it in the boot of your Plymouth while you were waiting. One of the new Savage 99Fs, Weatherby 6 × 62 'scope, five-shot repeater with twenty rounds of high-velocity .250-3.000. Lightest big game lever action on the market. Only six and a half pounds. Belongs to a friend. Glad to have it back one day, but he won't miss it if it doesn't turn up. It's been tested and it's okay up to five hundred. Gun licence," Colonel Johns slid it over, "issued here in the city in your real name as that fits with your passport. Hunting licence ditto, but small game only, vermin, as it isn't quite the deer season yet, also driving licence to replace the provisional one I had waiting for you with the Hertz people. Haversack, compass — used ones, in the boot of your car. Oh, by the way," Colonel Johns looked up from his list, "you carrying a personal gun?"
    comet1.jpg
    168886.jpg 1256fa79c61edc930c6734fefb0b646e--roi-george-police-hat.jpg41Bs5PanDYL._SX355_.jpg

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Dear heavens, PLEASE not Gaga. She is, by more than a few accounts I have read, a total piece of s***t as a person. Truly awful. I know she can sing. It would make me positively ill if she sings the title song.

Beyonce- huge star power, can sing like a powerhouse, beautiful, and will blow up on radio and social media. she'd bring all that to the B25 table- which is what they need. A slam dunk it's so obvious.
    I just want Blofeld to have a decent henchman assuming Hinx doesn't return who I thought was brilliant BTW.
  • =bg= wrote: »

Beyonce- huge star power, can sing like a powerhouse, beautiful, and will blow up on radio and social media. she'd bring all that to the B25 table- which is what they need. A slam dunk it's so obvious.

As I said above, I'd guess she's now "too big" for Bond. Granted she's done Austin Powers, as @bondsum points out. But I'd argue that the Beyonce of 2002 is a different person from 2018. She's barely even an 'entertainer' anymore so much as American Royalty - alongside maybe Oprah and one or two others I can't think of many who are 'above' the whole game to her extent.

It would be a real coup if they could get her - clearly she's a great singer, and it would probably mean Skyfall-esque radio play. Good luck to EON, if they're trying!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 4,554
    Ellie Goulding 6-1
    Pink 8-1
    Coldplay 12-1
    Arctic Monkeys 15-1
    The Weeknd 18-1
    Imagine Dragons 20-1
    Dua Lipa 25-1
    Halsey 28-1
    Florence + The Machine 30-1
    Twenty-One Pilots 30-1
    Beyonce 40-1
    Drake 50-1
    Lady Gaga 50-1
    Bruno Mars 60-1
    Pharrell 80-1
    Taylor Swift 100-1
  • This is fascinating.

I was unfamiliar with Layton before his name came out, however, I since went to watch The Imposter and loved it. He has a great understanding of tone. He made such a compelling thriller which was genuinely involving. The reception of American Animals has also been very positive and it's on my watch list.

Bart Layton is a talented filmmaker who is surely about to join the A-list.

However, Cary Joji Fukunaga is an A-list helmer and a true talent. The fact CJF decided to take this project on speaks volumes about the actual premise and script. He's so talented and his involvement has me buzzing for Bond 25 - more so then I was when Boyle was attached.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited October 2018 Posts: 7,981
    This ambiguous quote from Layton could go either way, exciting or concerning.

“ "I think it's time for a re-invention. It's time to modernize that franchise in an interesting way.“
    Can we get Mr wint and Mr Kidd type dual henchmen for bond 25?

That's what I thought in this thread I made here :

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/8687/the-spangled-mob-for-bond-25#latest
    I agree about feeling more excitement for Fukunaga vs. Boyle.

I was pleased with Boyle as the choice and even intrigued -- my appetite for something fresh, different, and edgy made me a little more comfortable with some of the eccentricity I also figured Boyle would bring to the property. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't always a bit nervous, in certain ways, that it would be or feel a little too off the beaten path.

With CJF, I've no such fears. I'm working my way through his filmography now (True Detective's such a masterpiece, Maniac up next) and he seems perfectly suited for Bond -- in that he'll likely bring that fresh edge I'm hoping for, but he's also such a visibly intelligent and thoughtful director that B25 will have real substance to it, along with reverence for good, old-fashioned, classically interesting storytelling.

After what we went through in August/Sept, the genuine excitement I have now brings me so much joy.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    talos7 wrote: »
    This ambiguous quote from Layton could go either was, exciting or concerning.

“ "I think it's time for a re-invention. It's time to modernize that franchise in an interesting way.“

This comment was interesting, too:

"Also, I feel like I want to come in at the beginning."

My read on it is that Layton would have jumped at the chance to direct the film had Craig dropped out.
    bondjames wrote: »

Not bothered either way. His character is a bit wooden.
    Still wish it was Danny Boyle directing.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    This ambiguous quote from Layton could go either was, exciting or concerning.

This comment was interesting, too:

"Also, I feel like I want to come in at the beginning."

My read on it is that Layton would have jumped at the chance to direct the film had Craig dropped out.

I think he simply means, if it's a new beginning, it perhaps offers more opportunities to create a fresh spin/re-boot, and, as a director, he thinks that is more creatively freeing, but having said that, Cary wouldn't have jumped onboard if he didn't feel the project offered great creative opportunities for a very individual and inspired filmmaker like himself.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »

Not bothered either way. His character is a bit wooden.
    Quite. I certainly wouldn't miss him.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 820

I think he simply means, if it's a new beginning, it perhaps offers more opportunities to create a fresh spin/re-boot, and, as a director, he thinks that is more creatively freeing, but having said that, Cary wouldn't have jumped onboard if he didn't feel the project offered great creative opportunities for a very individual and inspired filmmaker like himself.

Indeed. I think Bart's basically giving the same soundbyte Christopher Nolan gives.