No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

.........and to think had Boyle not crapped out and things went as planned, we'd probably have some Bond girl news or villain news by now.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    .........and to think had Boyle not crapped out and things went as planned, we'd probably have some Bond girl news or villain news by now.

Yes, russian walking clichés and a mahori henchman to rival Mr. Kill...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Univex wrote: »

That Maori thing always seemed a little suspect to me due to the memories of DAD. I'm glad they're taking some time off to re-evaluate the script and vision. The film should be the better for it.
    bondjames wrote: »

That Maori thing always seemed a little suspect to me due to the memories of DAD. I'm glad they're taking some time off to re-evaluate the script and vision. The film should be the better for it.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I'm actually hoping they go for something completely different.
    With Cary at the helm, I'm confident the film will be anything but a cliche.
  • Word is that Roger Deakins will shoot Sam Mendes’s next film 1917.
    https://thegww.com/oscar-winning-blade-runner-2049-cinematographer-roger-deakins-might-reunite-with-sam-mendes-for-wwi-movie-1917/

That means Deakins won’t be shooting Denis Villenueve’s Dune (which many expected he would). I heard a rumour on the Nolan film forum that Greig Fraser was going to be the DP on that film anyway.

This raises the question of who will get the Bond 25 job. Personally, I don’t think we’ll get a ‘star’ DP. Fukunaga is a Cinematographer himself and clearly is very involved in that aspect of all his projects (he even shot Beasts of No Nation himself).

His last few projects have had Darren Lew behind the camera. I suspect Fukunaga will hire someone like Lew – who is really a technician before being a DP – and Fukunaga will really oversee that department himself. Much like Kubrick did on his films and Paul Thomas Anderson did on Phantom Thread.

Darren Lew shot this Malick-esque short with Fukunaga and this ponderous Calvin Klein video with him as well.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    AgentM72 wrote: »

I just finished watching Maniac. I had watched True Detective years ago. But one thing stands out with both: the way CJF moves the camera during action scenes, particularly shootouts. If his camera work can make Emma Stone look bad ass (totally out of character for her), then I am salivating over what he'll do with DC.

Thought the same thing when i watched that single continuous shot. Genious.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Great cinematography, but I do hope Fukunaga doesn't resort to John Wick cliches like the case was in the video above.
    His last few projects have had Darren Lew behind the camera. I suspect Fukunaga will hire someone like Lew – who is really a technician before being a DP – and Fukunaga will really oversee that department himself. Much like Kubrick did on his films and Paul Thomas Anderson did on Phantom Thread.
    This is my expectation as well.
    bondjames wrote: »

I think so. I always had a hunch Boyle's groundbreaking "great idea" was probably something I wouldn't have liked. I had completely forgotten about the Maori henchman casting concept.
  • TripAces wrote: »

I just finished watching Maniac. I had watched True Detective years ago. But one thing stands out with both: the way CJF moves the camera during action scenes, particularly shootouts. If his camera work can make Emma Stone look bad ass (totally out of character for her), then I am salivating over what he'll do with DC.

I think it may be due to 'Maniac' having a slightly heightened-reality tone. Plus, isn't the scene taking place inside a delusional? I think Fukunaga sacrificed verisimilitude and wanted to make something more stylised.

We don't know much about his approach to Bond. But I assume that it will follow the template from the previous Craig films and have a more 'realistic' feel, which suits with Fukunaga's previous filmography.

Also, Fukunaga loves a long take. Often they are beautifully composed. There is a great one in 'Sin Nombre' where the boys go into the gang compound. It's v subtle and shows the everyday life of MS-13 gangsters. There is also another great one in 'Beasts of No Nation'.

I think Mendes was inspired by True Detective for SP; what with the tracking shot and the references to The Pale King. I recall thinking that it felt a little familiar at the time.
    Shame we probably won’t get Deakins back. Best in the business. Hopefully Knives Out will not burn out Craig too much!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Jamie Lee Curtis just joined “Knives Out.” Fitting title for her after Halloween!
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    Call me crazy but I kinda would love to see ozzy osbourne have a crack at the bond 25 theme song, Does that sound too far fetched?
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I kinda would love to see ozzy osbourne have a crack at the bond 25 theme song, Does that sound too far fetched?

No, just nauseating.

Hey at least it's a more inspiring choice than dua lipa or ed sheeran
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,767
    TripAces wrote: »

I´d say Emma Stone is nonetheless quite a few steps away from Looking badass, but my is that camera Swift and fluent! I lost interest in Maniac after two-and-a-half episodes, but that camera movement sure is the work of a prodigy!
    I´m not particularly hot for long continuous shots, because they can easily have the effect of technical aspects detracting from the Story and come across as showing off. I had that Feeling in SP´s pts. But I must admit the camera in this Clip is Beautiful to watch.

FoxRox wrote: »
    Shame we probably won’t get Deakins back. Best in the business. Hopefully Knives Out will not burn out Craig too much!
    Burn him out? It will load his batteries for Bond by having him Focus on something entirely different before delving into Bond again!
    @boldfinger Hopefully that is how it will pan out! Maybe it will be a positive thing!
  • As long as we get Alan Hume style cinematography and John Glen style direction I’ll be happy with Bond 25. I’d also love it if they brought back Sheena Easton or a-ha to sing the title theme!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    As long as we get Alan Hume style cinematography and John Glen style direction I’ll be happy with Bond 25. I’d also love it if they brought back Sheena Easton or a-ha to sing the title theme!

Brace yourself for disappointment.
    Great cinematography, but I do hope Fukunaga doesn't resort to John Wick cliches like the case was in the video above.

Maniac's violence was over the top on purpose. True detective is more rooted in reality. But some of the same style exists: the camera pans, shifts, and backs up a lot, as though we're on a Disneyland theme ride. I like it a lot.

Maniac's violence was over the top on purpose. True detective is more rooted in reality. But some of the same style exists: the camera pans, shifts, and backs up a lot, as though we're on a Disneyland theme ride. I like it a lot.
    It’s not the violence I’m worried about. It’s that certain style where the camera spins around the protagonist and the latter goes acrobatic in a shootout performing some sort of a gun-kata which Emma Stone sort of did in the video above. I don’t want Bond repeating the same thing. That’s what Kingsman does. That what John Wick does. Not Bond.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

It’s not the violence I’m worried about. It’s that certain style where the camera spins around the protagonist and the latter goes acrobatic in a shootout performing some sort of a gun-kata which Emma Stone sort of did in the video above. I don’t want Bond repeating the same thing. That’s what Kingsman does. That what John Wick does. Not Bond.
    I have no problem with a tracking shot, but I too wouldn't want to see that in B25.

Again: that staging was reflecting the show. You won't find that stuff in True Detective. I wouldn't worry about that.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    As long as we get Alan Hume style cinematography and John Glen style direction I’ll be happy with Bond 25. I’d also love it if they brought back Sheena Easton or a-ha to sing the title theme!

Beyonce. End of discussion. She'll kill it. Bassey 2.0.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    =bg= wrote: »

Beyonce. End of discussion. She'll kill it. Bassey 2.0.

I think it will be Beyonce or Gaga.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Of those two, my money's on Gaga.
  • Ugh, why either of them? There are far better artists out there. I hate star power and its ability to influence.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Well concerning Lady Gaga, I wouldn't even call myself a fan but she is immensely talented; I believe she could meld the classic and the edgy rather than just trying to be a clone of Bassey or Adele.
    JamesStock wrote: »
    Ugh, why either of them? There are far better artists out there. I hate star power and its ability to influence.
    I know how that feels. But, it is what it is. They’ll always go for someone popular.