No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Going with someone popular is not in and of itself a bad thing; that doesn't mean it will produce great results but it is somewhat a hallmark of the series. Most of the title artist have been popular at the time they were chosen.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Was Jack White popular though? I don’t remember people talking about him at the time he was chosen. I didn’t know him prior to his obtaining the singing duties. Alicia Keys was popular, however.

Hadn’t heard of Chris Cornell prior to watching CR, either.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Dear heavens, PLEASE not Gaga. She is, by more than a few accounts I have read, a total piece of s***t as a person. Truly awful. I know she can sing. It would make me positively ill if she sings the title song.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Was Jack White popular though? I don’t remember people talking about him at the time he was chosen. I didn’t know him prior to his obtaining the singing duties. Alicia Keys was popular, however.

Well, I did say most :D
    White and Cornell were also both stars but not superstars. Cornell enjoyed considerable success with his band Soundgarden but was not at the pinnacle of his career when he did YKMN

White and Cornell were both very well known in the alternative rock Scene. White had The White Stripes, The Racconteurs, and his solo Projects. Cornell had Soundgarden and Audioslave, and his solo Projects.

• edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333

You've forgotten to mention Alicia Keys alongside Jack White, who was pretty huge at the time. Also, weren't they a last minute replacement for Amy Winehouse, who couldn't get her act together and deliver the song on time? Though, I think you're right about Cornell. He wasn't as well known outside of the U.S. alternative rock scene. It was a bold choice by Arnold that actually paid off, delivering a great Bond song that felt fresh and current. My personal opinion about these songs is they're nothing more than a promotion tool. Of course, in a perfect world Eon would love a fantastic song to go with their movie, but at the same time they also want an international name that'll have a far reach into different markets and push the awareness of their movie. I think Gaga, Shakira, Beyoncé, Katy Perry, Rihanna and dare I say it, Ed Sheeran, all have that reach. Mentioning Ozzy Osborne, you might as well bring back Tom Jones.
    I did mention Alicia Keys. It's right up there in the quoted comment.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2018 Posts: 4,444
    2008 - 2012 Adele
    2002 - 2008 Alicia Keys
    2014 - 2015 Sam Smith

First year is the year there started.

Alicia Keys should have done Brosnan 5th and whas suprise of QOS.

Ed Sheeron (2016 - 2020) should do it if we follow same thing as Adele and Sam Smith.
    2008/2009 whas for Adele be 2017-2018 for Ed Sheeron. Almoost his whole Album of songs have been in Dutch Top 40. A lot top 3/10 too. Sam Smith is stil get a place. Only other is Dualipa. Justin Bieber has his time too in 2016. It be bit silence now around him and Adele.

Longest on number 1 in The Netherlands top 15:
    () number of weaks in total.

1. The Beatles (74)
    2. Justin Bieber (40)
    3. Ed Sheeron (29)
    4. George Michael (26)
    5. Elton John (25)
    6. Abba (24)
    7. Calvin Harris (22)
    8. Madonna (22)
    9. Beyonce (21)
    10-11. Michael Jackson / The Rolling Stones (20)
    12. Adele (19)
    13. Shakira (18)
    14. Dualipa (17)
    15. Pharrell Williams (17)

Elton John going to quite music, The Lion King wil be his last project.
    If there can let him do Bond 25 song on his tour who end at the end of 2019. If not him i stil think it should be a group or suprise artist.

Tina Turner and Madonna are moost fames choose with Brosnan. For my feeling Daniel Craig era that is Adele.
  • The title song is a hard one. It’s clear Eon want something that is clearly signposted for Oscar attention.

Both Sam Smith and Adele were massive British artists with huge interactional acclaim. Both artists had huge followings in the USA. Also, there big, theatrical balladeering suited Bond like a glove.

I can’t really think of many British artists in the same vein currently. Dua Lipa is the obvious one. But she’s known more for dance music.

I think they may go American. The obvious options of Beyonce and Lady Gaga seem out of the question – as both are likely to go for Oscar gold for A Star is Born and The Lion King.

However, the idea of Frank Ocean singing a Bond tune has seriously got me thinking…

As long as we get Alan Hume style cinematography and John Glen style direction I’ll be happy with Bond 25. I’d also love it if they brought back Sheena Easton or a-ha to sing the title theme!

The fact that someone could even sensibly suggest that Glen and Hume are a standard to emulate is staggering. The 80's film are by far the blandest photographically - that era of film robbed the films of the sleek sexiness that Bond earned with the likes of Ted Moore and Michael Reed in the 60's.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,767
    The Glen films ooze a certain type of elegance I very much enjoy, and on top of that they had a strong identity, so I´m not staggered by the Suggestion of Glen and Hume.
    I've got nothing against Canada but it doesn't exactly scream Bond as a location. I can see perhaps if DC wanted to be near NY it would make sense. And the idea of filming at Pinewood Canada would maintain the historic connection.

Out of interest, if production has been pushed back does that mean Bond 25 gave back or
    TripAces wrote: »
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    With Cary at the helm, I'm confident the film will be anything but a cliche.

I just finished watching Maniac. I had watched True Detective years ago. But one thing stands out with both: the way CJF moves the camera during action scenes, particularly shootouts. If his camera work can make Emma Stone look bad ass (totally out of character for her), then I am salivating over what he'll do with DC.

I think it may be due to 'Maniac' having a slightly heightened-reality tone. Plus, isn't the scene taking place inside a delusional? I think Fukunaga sacrificed verisimilitude and wanted to make something more stylised.

We don't know much about his approach to Bond. But I assume that it will follow the template from the previous Craig films and have a more 'realistic' feel, which suits with Fukunaga's previous filmography.

Also, Fukunaga loves a long take. Often they are beautifully composed. There is a great one in 'Sin Nombre' where the boys go into the gang compound. It's v subtle and shows the everyday life of MS-13 gangsters. There is also another great one in 'Beasts of No Nation'.

I think Mendes was inspired by True Detective for SP; what with the tracking shot and the references to The Pale King. I recall thinking that it felt a little familiar at the time.

I think the tracking shot in SP was more inspired by Orson welles
    boldfinger wrote: »
    The Glen films ooze a certain type of elegance I very much enjoy, and on top of that they had a strong identity, so I´m not staggered by the Suggestion of Glen and Hume.

Glen was very on top of the action scenes, but not so great with the dialogue/drama scenes. If you take a look at, for example, the Bond and Leiter scene in the boat in TLD, the cutting is extremely tight, very little breathing space, in and out of the scene as quickly as possible because the staging was pretty clunky. And this can be seen in many, but certainly not all, of his drama scenes. The staging is very straight forward and not particularly inspired. Cary is in a dIfferent league in that regard.
  • ColonelSun wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »

Glen was very on top of the action scenes, but not so great with the dialogue/drama scenes. If you take a look at, for example, the Bond and Leiter scene in the boat in TLD, the cutting is extremely tight, very little breathing space, in and out of the scene as quickly as possible because the staging was pretty clunky. And this can be seen in many, but certainly not all, of his drama scenes. The staging is very straight forward and not particularly inspired. Cary is in a dIfferent league in that regard.

Exactly.

Glen shot action beatifically. Both he and Arthur Wooster are class acts when it comes to filming action sequences and really showcasing those scenes by giving the audiences a clear idea of spatial geography and the genuine risk involved. It's the chief reason they were such good second-unit directors.

However, Glen's staging can be rather shoddy at times. For example, in TLD, the scene in Pushkin's room when the guard breaks in is badly put together staged. Also, the scene where Bond gets poioned by Kara. It's very rudimentary stuff and uninspiring stuff.

Cary will direct the drama expertly. He has shown a passion for action, but has yet to do a proper 'action film'. He's one of the few film school directors the series has had, so I imagine he's boning up now on action cinema.
    John Glen. Good for his time. But not now.
    I'd consider both Beyonce and Lady Gaga to be excellent choices for the title song. Amazing voices, the built-in brand following to guarantee a chart-topper, and would certainly earn attention from the Academy.

I think Bond would be happy to have them. The question might be more about whether they're interested in Bond.
    LeChiffre wrote: »

Good with Bond for sure, but outside Bond, well --- Columbus, a motor racing thriller for US TV (can't recall the title), Iron Eagle 5, several episodes of Gerry Anderson's badly dated Space Precinct, etc. But Glen is and remains a very charming man and great fun to work with.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »

Good with Bond for sure, but outside Bond, well --- Columbus, a motor racing thriller for US TV (can't recall the title), Iron Eagle 5, several episodes of Gerry Anderson's badly dated Space Precinct, etc. But Glen is and remains a very charming man and great fun to work with.

I was lucky enough to meet John in the last couple years, and I agree!

A very friendly man who seemed to have all the time in the world for me as we talked about Bond, and life. His Bond films (especially FYEO) were among the first to have a major impact on me once I came into the world of 007, and it was a pleasure to meet him and share some of that.

He also has that wonderful quality of curiosity, in that he seemed as interested to know more about me as I was about him. We had a very "two-way" conversation, perhaps more than I expected just because he's such a major cinematic persona to me.

His insights about the modern 007 films are very sharp, too. We shared a lot of common ground in that respect. I'll be looking forward to his reaction to Bond 25.
    Oh, yes. So you did. My mistake... and you don't get many of those.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Oh, yes. So you did. My mistake... and you don't get many of those.
    No worries, mate. Come to think of it, though, she could’ve been a terrific choice for a Bond song had she done one alone. If only she was given the writing and singing duties of the main title theme.
  • The fact that someone could even sensibly suggest that Glen and Hume are a standard to emulate is staggering. The 80's film are by far the blandest photographically - that era of film robbed the films of the sleek sexiness that Bond earned with the likes of Ted Moore and Michael Reed in the 60's.
    Well, 3 of Glen’s 5 films are in my top 10. Octopussy is my #3 - one of the very finest Bond films ever made. Hume’s beautiful cinematography contributes greatly to that film. I also find FYEO beautiful looking.

• The fact that someone could even sensibly suggest that Glen and Hume are a standard to emulate is staggering. The 80's film are by far the blandest photographically - that era of film robbed the films of the sleek sexiness that Bond earned with the likes of Ted Moore and Michael Reed in the 60's.
    Well, 3 of Glen’s 5 films are in my top 10. Octopussy is my #3 - one of the very finest Bond films ever made. Hume’s beautiful cinematography contributes greatly to that film. I also find FYEO beautiful looking.

Really?

I'm not one to question personal taste. But OP is saved by the locations (in particular India) but the Berlin portion (which is very much filmed in Peterborough) is rather flat.

Also, for me, FYEO is one of the least interesting Bond films photographically. The best shot Bond film are really:

1. YOLT
    2. OHMSS
    3. TSWLM
    4. SF

You could probably add CR to that list - along with GE and TWINE at a stretch.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited October 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Can we get Mr wint and Mr Kidd type dual henchmen for bond 25?

As long as they are more menacing and better fighters. But I'm OK with the trail of corpses they leave behind.

I'd actually be down for a "Bond defeats main villain and then the henchman comes for him in the final scene as revenge" scene again. It's been quite a while since we've had that. Tomorrow Never Dies?
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    I hope fukunaga makes a tracking shot in bond 25 that's so awesome it puts spectre's opening tracking shot to shame.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited October 2018 Posts: 11,139
    Dear heavens, PLEASE not Gaga. She is, by more than a few accounts I have read, a total piece of s***t as a person. Truly awful. I know she can sing. It would make me positively ill if she sings the title song.

Why? It's not like you know her personally or she's committed some haenous crime. She's a very talented singer and that's all that should matter.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    bondbat007 wrote: »

I'd actually be down for a "Bond defeats main villain and then the henchman comes for him in the final scene as revenge" scene again. It's been quite a while since we've had that. Tomorrow Never Dies?

I'll be honest, I've never been a fan of that because it comes off as anti-climatic to me. Though admittedly that worked pretty well at the end of DAF.
  • My assumption is that Beyonce wouldn't do it. She's too big a star, takes herself quite seriously, and might consider Bond 'beneath' her. I assume at this point she doesn't get out of bed for less than triple what EON could ever offer her.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,294
    The title song is a hard one. It’s clear Eon want something that is clearly signposted for Oscar attention.

Both Sam Smith and Adele were massive British artists with huge interactional acclaim. Both artists had huge followings in the USA. Also, there big, theatrical balladeering suited Bond like a glove.

I can’t really think of many British artists in the same vein currently. Dua Lipa is the obvious one. But she’s known more for dance music.

I think they may go American. The obvious options of Beyonce and Lady Gaga seem out of the question – as both are likely to go for Oscar gold for A Star is Born and The Lion King.

However, the idea of Frank Ocean singing a Bond tune has seriously got me thinking…

Frank Ocean would be an inspired choice by EON. Sure more "cred" than the regular big names being mentioned. It's like Arctic Monkeys; throw them into the studio with the composer of choice, and we can be quite sure we get something interesting, IMO.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 646
    The fact that someone could even sensibly suggest that Glen and Hume are a standard to emulate is staggering. The 80's film are by far the blandest photographically - that era of film robbed the films of the sleek sexiness that Bond earned with the likes of Ted Moore and Michael Reed in the 60's.

Really?

I'm not one to question personal taste. But OP is saved by the locations (in particular India) but the Berlin portion (which is very much filmed in Peterborough) is rather flat.

Also, for me, FYEO is one of the least interesting Bond films photographically. The best shot Bond film are really:

1. YOLT
    2. OHMSS
    3. TSWLM
    4. SF

You could probably add CR to that list - along with GE and TWINE at a stretch.
    Absolutely agreed on YOLT, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF being the cream of the crop photographically. Also throw MR in there. But OP and FYEO also personally look very nice to my eyes.

But you lost me on TWINE. I don’t know what Adrian Biddle did on that film but it’s so dull and gray and drab looking. Compare it to Phil Meheux’s work on ENTRAPMENT that same year which is gorgeous! Looks more Bondish than TWINE and I typically like to defend TWINE on a plot level.