No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    If "Shatterhand" is too corny, then "Goldfinger", "Thunderball" and many other Bond titles are too corny. Shatterhand just feels Bondian to me, it has that Pizzazz, whereas "The Death Collector" does not. Just my opinion.
    +1
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    If "Shatterhand" is too corny, then "Goldfinger", "Thunderball" and many other Bond titles are too corny. Shatterhand just feels Bondian to me, it has that Pizzazz, whereas "The Death Collector" does not. Just my opinion.

Okay, but we are not living in the Sixties anymore... those titles worked perfectly at the time of their release... at least to me, Shatterhand sounds a little corny for "the big finale of the Craig era" in 2019. BTW it's also true that The Death Collector doesn't sound too Bondian, I'll give you that... but at least it's still Fleming. :D
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,272
    Wouldn't be surprised if the final title is Risico, and the Shatterhand title is just to throw Bond fans off with YOLT based expectations. :))
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Shatterhand is a great title I have wanted this as a movie title for decades, though I am going to have to change some of my passwords now :))
    Shatterhand is a great title I have wanted this as a movie title for decades, though I am going to have to change some of my passwords now :))

"PropertyOfALady123", perhaps? :-D
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,333
    So what you’re in effect saying @matt_u, is that because we’re no longer part of the creative Sixties we now have to accept uninspiring and insipid titles for a Bond movie?

For all this talk of the “Old Shatterhand” title being previously used by German novelist Karl May and made into a 1962 movie starring Lex Barker (mostly an unknown quantity outside of its German native country), it’s a good thing that none of you were around when Moonraker was first announced as a future Bond title. Because, if you had been, I’m sure that you’d all be moaning that Eon couldn’t possibly use that title due to the conflict and confusion of the 1958 film “The Moonraker” starring George Baker and Sylvia Syms. But of course that had “The” as a prefix, just as Old Shatterhand has “old” before it. In fact, let’s change the name of Thunderball just in case anyone confuses it with the UK National Lottery draw and it affects the future sales of TB DVDs.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Dam that's one of my other passwords, I knew it was a mistake using Bond related words and numbers :))
    I'm bored of all the speculation. I just hope they have a very special script and director lined up. Bond dying would be cool. And then brought back with plastic surgery. Let the criticism begin!
    Look I won’t be upset if Shatterhand is the title but it will make predicting bond 26 title super easy barely an inconvenience (Smersh)
    An interesting tidbit in there @ggl007.

“Members of the crew had recently been in Namibia in Africa, scouting for suitable locations to build sets for a planned sequence.”

Which kind of squashes the previous rumour that Bond was mostly shooting in and around the UK and wouldn’t be venturing beyond these shores.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    ggl007 wrote: »

Thanks for the link.

I find it hard to believe Boyle would quit because Eon said no to his casting suggestion for the villain. If he got in a huff and said "if you don't cast Tomasz Kot then I quit!" - he wasn't the right man to direct Bond 25. Quitting over that seems a bit childish. There must be many actors suitable for the villain. I'm assuming there is more to Boyle's departure than a disagreement over one actor.

I think the director should direct and leave the casting to the producers! I suppose if the director thought an actor was completely unsuitable for the role (wrong look, acting not good enough) he/she should speak out, but overall I think the director should accept whoever is cast. At the end of the day the producers are boss, it's their franchise.
    Furthermore, an unnamed ‘source’ also commented to the Sunday Times newspaper that, as EON already have people on the Bond 25 payroll, with construction standing by and building permits secured, and ‘because of annual projections and the confidence needed to be shown in investments’, the producers will ‘try very hard’ not to lose the planned Bond 25 release date in late 2019.

Who knows, Bond 25 may out-budget SPECTRE! If there is a delay it's bound to increase the overall budget.

• peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    @peter , Thanks, I thought they owned it. I would think he would get a writer’s screen credit.

Yes @talos7 -- like any producer who hires a writer(s), they own the script and can do with it what they will (hire other writers to tear it down and build a new story around the main concept (I mentioned a funny story earlier in this thread, about the original writer to Chain Reaction (Keanu Reeves/Morgan Freeman film). The writer, Josh Friedman sold this script on spec-- his first sale. When he finally saw the film, exactly one line from the original script made it. The rest was flushed down the loo and re-written))...
  • peterpeter Toronto

This may not be as eye-catching as the Mirror or Sun's reporting, but this sounds like the most likely scenario playing out at the moment: it's business as usual.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 824
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I still say The Garden of Death is a better title then Shatterhand

Bloody awful..........sounds like a 40s horror film. Shatterhand is far better. Sounds more Bondian.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,318
    Shatterhand in Dutch (where I was born) is Schaterhand, a really ugly word in my language. I can't seem to bend it into something Bondian. I've always liked how the word eclipse sounds and in this case what it could mean, as it sounds rather ominous and fitting for a send off for Craig. Like the two titles before it only one word and has a strong S, just not in the beginning. 007 letters each for the last three titles. My 2 cents.

So: Skyfall > Spectre > Eclipse
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Shatterhand in Dutch (where I was born) is Schaterhand, a really ugly word in my language. I can't seem to bend it into something Bondian. I've always liked how the word eclipse sounds and in this case what it could mean, as it sounds rather ominous and fitting for a send off for Craig. Like the two titles before it only one word and has a strong S, just not in the beginning. 007 letters each for the last three titles. My 2 cents.

Translations of titles are rarely literal for that exact reason so that's not really a problem. I'm fine with Shatterhand - it doesn't blow me away, but it could be worse.

Translations of titles are rarely literal for that exact reason so that's not really a problem. I'm fine with Shatterhand - it doesn't blow me away, but it could be worse.

Shatterhand sounds too western for me, basically. But to each their own.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

When you say it's an ugly word in Dutch, what exactly do you mean?
    Another one word title beginning with 'S' ?

How boring.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    bondsum wrote: »
    So what you’re in effect saying @matt_u, is that because we’re no longer part of the creative Sixties we now have to accept uninspiring and insipid titles for a Bond movie?

Of course not... I'm just saying that I don't see how a title like Shatterhand could successfully suit the conclusion of Craig's more grounded Bond, in 2019. BTW "Shatterhand" is exactly an uninspiring and insipid title, something so lazy everyone would came up on a forum. Just my opinion.
    NicNac wrote: »

When you say it's an ugly word in Dutch, what exactly do you mean?

The way one would pronounce it, quite harsh. It could make for a nice IPA beer though
    1a745fb7ea48d3eab1ce98c3b790a50a_640x640.jpg
    I mean to be fair we won’t know untill December 3rd if Bond 25 is really Shatterhand but two questions come to mind

1. Are they going to use the full name at some point in the film

Or
    2. Are they just going to shoe Horn the title in like the climax is taken place on a boat called Shatterhand?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    What I found most interesting here is this comment:

"Despite the doom and gloom that has been around in the media about Bond 25 since it was announced that Danny Boyle had stepped aside from the director’s chair, as far as the JBIFC understands it EON hopes to be able to make an announcement about a replacement director very soon."

I realize it's just words, but making an announcement is not the same as finding one. Perhaps they already have the replacement, and are just waiting for an opportune time to announce.

I wonder if Hodge left out of loyalty to Boyle (since it was Boyle who insisted on bringing him in) or for other reasons. I'm also curious about what actually caused Boyle/Hodge to exit, given that they appeared to be so far down the road in pre-production. I would have thought that the key elements of the script would have been locked by now - so casting and/or purely script tinkering was presumably what caused the falling out, as has been reported.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Usually a football team who is about to sack their manager , more often than not, has a very good idea about who is replacing them.

I can't see Eon, with so much riding on this massive film, having no idea about who would be stepping in should Boyle quit. And I reckon Boyle's jumping ship would already have been half expected, (can't think it came completely out of the blue). They must have had a few meetings already and sensed an issue with working relationships.

Dam that's one of my other passwords, I knew it was a mistake using Bond related words and numbers :))

Haha! Better look at non-Bond passwords then! :))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Shatterhand, shatterfoot...frankly i don't care what the film is called, just so long as we get one; a really good one and released on time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Shatterhand, shatterfoot...frankly i don't care what the film is called, just so long as we get one; a really good one and released on time.
    Agreed. I'll add that I'd also like a decent score and a better title song than that miserable trash we got last time as well.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I still say The Garden of Death is a better title then Shatterhand

Bloody awful..........sounds like a 40s horror film. Shatterhand is far better. Sounds more Bondian.

Actually, a '40's horror film title would be more along the lines of "HOUSE OF SHATTERHAND" I'd place "THE GARDEN OF DEATH" more in the late '60's.

I like SHATTERHAND as a title, but I'd also settle for THE GARDEN OF DEATH.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I don't really mind the title 'Shatterhand'
    It has a certain air of mystery about it. No more unusual than say, Goldfinger, GoldenEye or even Octopussy.