No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RC7RC7
    My mate had a chat with Hiddleston at the BAFTAs. The conclusion - 'Boring and self-obsessed'.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Im also on the standalone films team as well.
    Like many have said here if they ever make something wrong in one film it's easier to fix it in the next one.
    And its easier for regular audiences to watch the movies that way and every bond flicks get new fans
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RC7 wrote: »
    My mate had a chat with Hiddleston at the BAFTAs. The conclusion - 'Boring and self-obsessed'.

Is that so?
    He never really strikes me as the self-obsessed type in interviews. Needless to say, Hiddleston isn't the only one who doesn't exactly give off a great first impression (DC comes to mind).
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2016 Posts: 10,512
    jake24 wrote: »

Is that so?
    He never really strikes me as the self-obsessed type in interviews. Needless to say, Hiddleston isn't the only one who doesn't exactly give off a great first impression (DC comes to mind).

Never struck me as being like that either. The difference with DC is that his brashness is usually in interviews, whereas I guess you could say my mate was speaking with him in a professional capacity (albeit different fields).

For the record, I don't think it matters, but did find it surprising.
    C'mon, Idris Elba a contender ? You know there is no chance of him being bond as they will certainly cast a white bond.
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Is there something to it that when there are larger gaps between movies, the more successful the newest becomes (financially- box office wise)?
    GE was quite the step up from LTK- I think. And same goes for QOS to SF. (Not really sure about inflation.)

I think Skyfall did better business than Quantum even taking inflation into account.

These figures are for the U.S. market only, but Quantum sold 23,449,600 tickets.

Skyfall: 37,842,000 tickets

SPECTRE: 23,001,900 tickets.

If you go back to GoldenEye, The Bond movies sell between 23 million and 27 million tickets in the U.S.-Canadian market, with the exception of Skyfall.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Is that so?

Never struck me as being like that either. The difference with DC is that his brashness is usually in interviews, whereas I guess you could say my mate was speaking with him in a professional capacity (albeit different fields).

Regardless, I couldn't care less about the actor's personality. As long as he's capable of respecting Fleming's creation and giving a performance of high caliber, I'll be the first one on board.
  • RC7RC7

Is that so?

Regardless, I couldn't care less about the actor's personality. As long as he's capable of respecting Fleming's creation and giving a performance of high caliber, I'll be the first one on board.

Me neither, but I do long for the days of gents like Roger.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Hiddles does project better & more confidently on film than he does in interviews imho, where he comes across sometimes like a deer in the headlights, appearing somewhat overwhelmed by it all.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hiddles does project better & more confidently on film than he does in interviews imho, where he comes across sometimes like a deer in the headlights, appearing somewhat overwhelmed by it all.
    I'm currently watching The Night Manager, @bondjames. You can officially add me on board the Hiddle train.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Excellent @jake24. We're increasing in numbers and probably more so after High Rise drops, but Team Turner is pretty vocal around here too. Elba supporters are few, it seems.
    That is true, @bondjames. I've watched both And Then There Were None and The Night Manager in their entirety and I'm firmly in Team Turner camp.
    I've yet to see And Then There Were None @bondsum, and have actually not watched Turner in anything that I am aware of. I'm looking forward to seeing what impressions I have of him after I finally get round to it.
    Just for you then, @bondjames. But remember, these are just clips taken out of context and he's NOT playing Bond but an altogether different character.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Doesn't surprise me in the least.
  • RC7RC7

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Ha ha, I was waiting for you to chime in.
    Thanks @bondsum. Like another clip that was posted a few months ago, one can tell that he definitely has the look, physically. What is difficult to tell from this is whether he can naturally project that quiet intensity which I believe a Bond actor must convey like second nature.

I see that in Hiddleston. It's effortless. Craig too can do it naturally. Something in the expressions that suggests a complex character underneath the bravado (which also must flow naturally).

Some actors have to 'strain' to convey that and it comes across fake. Ultimately, I just have to see more of Turner before deciding where I stand on him.
    Yes, I understand what you say, @bondjames. If I'm honest I don't really see any of that "quiet intensity" in Hiddleston via The Night Manager myself. I'm still waiting to see him deliver that performance. He always looks too comfortable to me. That's not to say I dislike him; he's just not my ideal Bond out of the possibles I've seen. Turner is the most likely candidate in my eyes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is this going on a loop?
    Is this going on a loop?
    Sadly, until EON gives us some solid news or throws a bone of sorts, I'm afraid so.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    EoN desperately need to get things back on track and start making these films in a way that made the movies so appealing in the first place.

No overt continuity.

Have Bond be unapologetically Bond.
    Give us a truly menacing villain.

Make these films character AND plot driven.

No wasted Bond girls...meaning no 5 minute screen times for them and none of that I love you crap after 15 minutes of meeting the man.

Pushed to the extreme limit of pg-13 love scenes.

More visceral hand to hand combat.

Toss out all that pedestrian action set pieces and come up with something inventive, exciting and unique.

Hire the best writers and director for the job! Where they come from (country-wise should no longer be an issue)

More glamour.

A bloody decent composer!!

Make use of the bloody stuntmen!

No ill-fitting suits!

M, MP and Q should remain in LONDON.

Cut down on the locations.

Keep the budget UNDER $200million!!

No Guinness world record breaking explosions. It's not necessary!

More use of wide shots.

No cutting away from intense scenes to arbitrary ones.

No personal vendettas.

James Bond is a 00 agent. That's his job. Let's see him get on with it!
  • RC7 wrote: »
    I've been advocating this for a while. Developing the character across films is more important that constructing a superficial overarching narrative.

I wonder if they will dare to break the fourth wall again in some next Bond movies (hey, Deadpool was a success). The other fellow is a superficial but funny kind of meta-narrative.
    I've been advocating this for a while. Developing the character across films is more important that constructing a superficial overarching narrative.

I wonder if they will dare to break the fourth wall again in some next Bond movies (hey, Deadpool was a success). The other fellow is a superficial but funny kind of meta-narrative.

That would be incredibly obtuse.

Film studios and makers need to know wtf they're doing. Jungle Book had an ape and Bear singing a musical number and that film was a success! Connery sang underneath the Mango Tree, "Lets up the ante on it going forward in this new direction"! 8-|

The film makers need to go back to the essence of who Bond is and what he's all about. Deadpool was a success because the film makers did exactly what I'm suggesting EoN do. When you have people knowing what they're doing and not deviating from what made the ip special and appealing in the first place, there's no need to try and reinvent the wheel, which often results in straight lines and corners. It saves one from foolishly wondering what the hell went wrong or trying to figure out yet another new direction.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    EoN desperately need to get things back on track and start making these films in a way that made the movies so appealing in the first place.

No overt continuity.

No wasted Bond girls...meaning no 5 minute screen times for them and none of that I love you crap after 15 minutes of meeting the man.

Toss out all that pedestrian action set pieces and come up with something inventive, exciting and unique.

Hire the best writers and director for the job! Where they come from (country-wise should no longer be an issue)

More glamour.

No ill-fitting suits!

More use of wide shots.

No personal vendettas.

Excellent post. I'm completely in agreement, but would just like to add the following:

-Meaningful, interesting & witty dialogue (put the CR train exchange on loop). It's a Bond differentiator

Let's send the memo to EON. It will probably be thrown in the dustbin but it's worth a shot.

Film studios and makers need to know wtf they're doing. Jungle Book had an ape and Bear singing a musical number and that film was a success! Connery sang underneath the Mango Tree, "Lets up the ante on it going forward in this new direction"! 8-|

The film makers need to go back to the essence of who Bond is and what he's all about. Deadpool was a success because the film makers did exactly what I'm suggesting EoN do. When you have people knowing what they're doing and not deviating from what made the ip special and appealing in the first place, there's no need to try and reinvent the wheel, which often results in straight lines and corners. It saves one from foolishly wondering what the hell went wrong or trying to figure out yet another new direction.

I think the BBC Sherlock series reinvented the wheel magnificently whilst remaining true to the original source material.
    bondjames wrote: »

No overt continuity.

More glamour.

No ill-fitting suits!

More use of wide shots.

No personal vendettas.

Excellent post. I'm completely in agreement, but would just like to add the following:

-Meaningful, interesting & witty dialogue (put the CR train exchange on loop). It's a Bond differentiator

Let's send the memo to EON. It will probably be thrown in the dustbin but it's worth a shot.

Absolutely! The dialogue exchange and the whole set up on the train passing through Montenegro was brilliant, sans the incredibly cringe-inducing Omega plug.

tanaka123 wrote: »

I think the BBC Sherlock series reinvented the wheel magnificently whilst remaining true to the original source material.

That is true, which is why I was careful to say reinventing the wheel often doesn't work. Some times it does and most of the time it doesn't. Bond is unique because he's not beholden to a specific time period like Holmes usually is. Bond has always been a contemporary character but the essence of who he is doesn't need to change much if at all even if the world around him does.
    Most of the audience just go to see the film for an exciting night at the cinema. It's been a minimum of three years since the last one and even if they saw it they don't remember much about it. We are now expecting joe public to remember events from films, in SP's case released up to 9 years earlier!!! Yes it's fine for us obsessive fans but is it for the man in the street (who contributes 99% of the gross by the way)?

The example I would use personally is MI:RN. I watched it once at the cinema and I'll probably go to see the next one. But I can't remember very much about it because I'm not that invested in it like I am Bond.

Can't disagree with that. The great thing about the Mission Impossible films is that they've been able to take a drastically new direction whenever the previous film hasn't succeeded, and that's got to be partially down to the lack of continuity, beyond characters. If they started asking me to remember events from disappointing Mission Impossible sequels from 2008 I probably wouldn't bother.
    Yes, everything @doubleoego said! Well done, sir. =D>
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,168
    Whatever happens, filming should begin by 2018. That's just 2 years from now.
    If we dont get a press release from EON this year regarding any news, I dont believe the film will come out in 2018.