No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2016 Posts: 5,986
    dalton wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll just have the character as Blofeld just doing evil shit and never mention it again.

Or better yet, just forget Blofeld altogether for a few films. It would mean passing up an opportunity to get a faithful adaptation of You Only Live Twice, but it would be a way out of the whole 'stepbrother' nonsense. I'd just let the character sit out a few films, wait until a new actor takes over, and start slowly building up to Blofeld's return with an actual plan stretching over a few films rather than trying to retroactively tie him into films he wasn't a part of.

I can't see Eon spending all that money for the Thunderball rights and then dropping the Blofeld character one film later. Commerce always beats art.

I think we're stuck with Blofeld, but hopefully they will tone down/ignore the stepbrotherish crap.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    echo wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll just have the character as Blofeld just doing evil shit and never mention it again.

Or better yet, just forget Blofeld altogether for a few films. It would mean passing up an opportunity to get a faithful adaptation of You Only Live Twice, but it would be a way out of the whole 'stepbrother' nonsense. I'd just let the character sit out a few films, wait until a new actor takes over, and start slowly building up to Blofeld's return with an actual plan stretching over a few films rather than trying to retroactively tie him into films he wasn't a part of.

I can't see Eon spending all that money for the Thunderball rights and then dropping the Blofeld character one film later. Commerce always beats art.

I think we're stuck with Blofeld, but hopefully they will tone down/ignore the stepbrotherish crap.
    The question is... What if they make it even worse? It's not the first time Eon isn't listening to the community.

The question is... What if they make it even worse? It's not the first time Eon isn't listening to the community.

Now there's some food for thought.

The corner they painted themselves into is going to prove tricky to get out of should Craig return and they decide to continue on with the continuity. That very well could prove to be the case.

They needed to be sure Craig would come back for B25 before starting the Spectre story.
    Plan for both cases. Start one script for Craig and a backup script for an alternate. Avoid as many long-term delays as possible. I just find it completely hard to believe that they wouldn't already have someone working on the next script once the heavy writing on Spectre had wrapped up. No wonder it takes so damn long for the films to get cranked out.
    The whole SP script mess seemed largely due to the fact that EON acquired Blofeld, so they struggled to get it "right".
    "African warlord? no. Killed on the bridge? too soon. Irma Bunt? also too soon. Foster Brother? naturally!" Comparing the drafts and how vastly different the ideas were being tossed around it makes sense.
    Hopefully, they can actually get it right this time and be satisfied with the end product.
    They really could've just ditched the foster brother idea and still have made Blofeld obsessed with obliterating Bond for interfering with his work. I love Christoph Waltz, but his Blofeld was too pedestrian. Combination of the Charles Gray and Donald Pleasance Blofelds.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjftSTGCMAEk2nF.jpg

You mean something like cast a young actor to play a youthful Bond and have flashbacks to Bond and Franz as teenagers showing how their feud built up before cutting back to Dan finally taking Blofeld down at the end?

Would mean less work for Dan if half the running time was a melodrama set in an alpine chalet so he might be more willing to sign on.

Then we'd have a 4 year break to let the young actor mature a bit and then he would take over the role proper.

You could make Waltz look younger with CGI or something.

I await everyone's applause.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjftSTGCMAEk2nF.jpg

You mean something like cast a young actor to play a youthful Bond and have flashbacks to Bond and Franz as teenagers showing how their feud built up before cutting back to Dan finally taking Blofeld down at the end?

Would mean less work for Dan if half the running time was a melodrama set in an alpine chalet so he might be more willing to sign on.

Then we'd have a 4 year break to let the young actor mature a bit and then he would take over the role proper.

You could make Waltz look younger with CGI or something.

I await everyone's applause.
    You're giving them ideas, Wiz! :))

I wouldn't put it past them to screw things up and recycle another brotherly vendetta angle to the story, introduce Blofeld's pet peeves, etc... Hell, imagine if Irma Bunt becomes Blofeld's daughter seeking revenge from Bond for imprisoning her father. If Sam Mendes is on board, we'll definitely be getting utter nonsense like that. Family business. That's his thing.

They might even go to doing something controversial that a hard-edged Bond fan would storm out of the theatre in disgust and rage. Like I said, I wouldn't put it past them.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If they are still hitting a 2018 release date, we should hear SOMETHING soon, right? (By soon, I mean in the next few months.)
    If they are still hitting a 2018 release date, we should hear SOMETHING soon, right? (By soon, I mean in the next few months.)
    Either July or August, methinks.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,113

I'm not asking for much, just a projected release date. If EON came out with a late 2018 release date by the end of this summer, I would happily sit patiently and wait. If we don't have any word on Bond 25 by the end of the year, I think it's probably safe to assume that 2018 isn't going to happen.

I'm not asking for much, just a projected release date. If EON came out with a late 2018 release date by the end of this summer, I would happily sit patiently and wait. If we don't have any word on Bond 25 by the end of the year, I think it's probably safe to assume that 2018 isn't going to happen.

I think Mendes was only confirmed for Spectre around July 2013, so there's time yet.
    There is still plenty of time. They could easily wait until early-to-mid 2017 to make an announcement and still be on target for 2018.
    There is still plenty of time. They could easily wait until early-to-mid 2017 to make an announcement and still be on target for 2018.

Yeah I don't think Apted was on board for TWINE until summer 1998.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I'm sure EoN though their new incarnation of Blofeld "grounded" in Fleming and appropriately updated to Craig would be a critical success and embraced by fans. Sony doesn't count because I don't they've even seen a Bond film before CR.

EoN I'm sure had or has an idea for SP part 2 that was something of a further bastardization of Fleming's Blofeld trilogy that they thought we would love. Babs is convinced we want Bond personal and honestly revenge plots are a cop out when you can't come up with a plot.

And I'm sure or I hope that the less favorable reviews and reactions registered this time. They were up on the good ones on SF.

I feel they regrouping and up in the air on the moment. Maybe not maybe just as pigheaded as some here and unwavering in tell this new story.

I don't think they ever had a well thought out plan other than seeing what the writer(s) produce with whatever parameters given if any.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    License to kill revoked? Damian Lewis reveals he's had 'no contact' with James Bond bosses over the role despite being a favourite to take over from Daniel Craig

Speaking to Shortlist about his future prospects, the 44-year-old Homeland star revealed even though he'd be excited to be in the running for Bond he's not actively pursuing the iconic role.

When asked if his role as an MI6 agent in new spy-thriller Our Kind Of Traitor was a public audition for the role, Damian revealed that Bond was the furthest thing from his mind while he was playing Hector.

Pressed on the topic of Bond, the actor explained that as far as he was concerned the role wasn't about impressing 007 bosses, saying: 'Not on my part, no.'

However, he did explain that it would be 'exciting' to be the new incarnation of Ian Fleming's famous spy.

Talking about the prospect of being offered the job, Damian conceeded it would be a thrill to carry a license to kill.

'Well, it would be very exciting,' he admitted. 'But, you know actors never lose the excitement of being offered any job. It's always exciting when you get the phone call.

However he also explained that he thought there was a 'slight hysteria' attached to the role.

And though Damian may be keeping coy surrounding whether he'll chuck his hat into the ring if Daniel, 48, decides to retire from the role - he admitted his wife, Helen McCrory is keen for him to get the gig.

In a recent interview on ITV's Lorraine, the 47-year-old Peaky Blinders star explained she'd love her husband to take on the role, as she's keen to play Bond's boss, M.

Speaking to Lorraine Kelly, she said: 'I’ve been asked in my last interview if I want to play Bond. I want M. I want to play M.'
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can see Lewis making an excellent Bond in the Craig mold, but he is too old for the job in my view & I'm not surprised that he hasn't been contacted. He's a very good actor - chameleon like.

Helen McCrory would make an excellent female villain - rather than M. She was great in S2 of Penny Dreadful. Pity she already played a character in SF.
    I had no idea those two were wed.
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    In other news, Lady C has been seriously injured in a car crash (like Princess Diana where she died in 1997).
    I've got a feeling we should get some news by the end of the year.
    I've got a feeling we should get some news by the end of the year.
    You don't say. Lol! :))
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Naomie Harris still "uncertain" about her future with Bond.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/pda/news/index.php3?itemid=11936
    Theres too much uncertain at this point that secures a 2018 release.

Whishaw, Fiennes, & now Harris are all but saying we know nothing yet & nothing planned.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Theres too much uncertain at this point that secures a 2018 release.

Whishaw, Fiennes, & now Harris are all but saying we know nothing yet & nothing planned.

Interesting point, I agree. I think I'm leaning more to a 2019 date, but if anything happens soon then 2018 could still be on the cards.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I don't think I can wait until 2019.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,113
    What we are all forgetting is that the hunt for Bond 7 could occupy most of 2018, so us fans won't be short of news/speculation.

We're already six months post SPECTRE, Bond 25 will be here in a jiffy
    But, no doubt we'll hear a word or two from the producers, right? Earlier this year, Gregg Wilson made a couple of comments, which I do consider an official word.
    But, no doubt we'll hear a word or two from the producers, right? Earlier this year, Gregg Wilson made a couple of comments, which I do consider an official word.

The only reason he was in a place to make comments was because of SPECTRE press events. That's over, and they don't have to face questions anytime soon.

Maybe Barbara or Michael with their other projects, but if we hear something it will be on their schedule.
    Yes, but what I was saying is that... 2016 isn't going to be completely deserted of news regarding Bond 25, is it? They will, at least say one thing that holds relevance to the process of the production.