No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    My question is, if there is no distribution deal or director how would Christoph even know if he was coming back?
    Either there is more decided than we are aware of or Waltz is unsure and just saying no.

They have been working on a script for quite some time now, haven't they? I can only assume it doesn't call for Blofeld and he's letting it be known. It's either that or an assumption of his.

I honestly don't buy that they'll try to hide Blofeld's appearance for two films in a row.
    Agreed. Plus I'm quite certain Craig wouldn't commit without a script that pleases him, so the script is probably at a reasonably advanced stage of development, such that certain characters will know if they are back or not.

I know I will be called a blasphemist, but I strongly suspect that Craig would say yes to anything that delivers him the last really big paycheck of his career. Also it's not so that's his career was overcrowded with great quality scripts/movies, so I don't really there is real merit to the theory that he puts a Premium on quality scripts.
    It's true that he doesn't seem to be overflowing with work at the moment.

Has anyone seen Kings? What's the consensus?
    I think this time Babs is making a film she wants to make & not necessarily a cookie cutter Bond film, I say this because if she dosent have a director yet then the vision put forth for the next one is constructed by her & EON.

This should be interesting.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sure it was posted, but I just looked into it because I was curious, as well. Craig won't shoot Purity until after B25 is complete. I was wondering what had happened with that show, was pretty radio silent with information for a long while.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I think this time Babs is making a film she wants to make & not necessarily a cookie cutter Bond film, I say this because if she dosent have a director yet then the vision put forth for the next one is constructed by her & EON.

And Craig. Let's not forget the co-producer.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    This idea that EON has some obligation to "finish what they started" for the sake of some neurotic need for symmetry or closure for the small percentage of viewers who were even semi-interested in the continuity seems naive and unrealistic. After seeing the public and critical reaction that they got from CR to QOS, and then SF to SP, they would be daft to cling onto what ever plan they had in mind just because it was the plan. Their priority is to make successful film, not to scratch any nerdy itch.

I get that, but it's not like SP wasn't successful. Reviews were decent overall, and it made more money than CR and QoS. I don't think the public would have cared if Bond 25 is a sequel or not as long as it's a good film. But to me it just seems weird to get Craig back if they do want a clean break, especially since SP seemed to wrap up that storyline so neatly. Plus on a personal level I'm annoyed that they seem to have missed the chance to do YOLT properly. Could be ages before they get that opportunity again.

Just because Waltz says he's not back - (and BTW, if u want anyone to lie for u, hire an actor - I mean he may not, under instructions, be telling the truth) - does not mean Bond 25 will no address the events in SP.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694
    My question is, if there is no distribution deal or director how would Christoph even know if he was coming back?
    Either there is more decided than we are aware of or Waltz is unsure and just saying no.

They have been working on a script for quite some time now, haven't they? I can only assume it doesn't call for Blofeld and he's letting it be known. It's either that or an assumption of his.

I honestly don't buy that they'll try to hide Blofeld's appearance for two films in a row.
    Agreed. Plus I'm quite certain Craig wouldn't commit without a script that pleases him, so the script is probably at a reasonably advanced stage of development, such that certain characters will know if they are back or not.

I know I will be called a blasphemist, but I strongly suspect that Craig would say yes to anything that delivers him the last really big paycheck of his career. Also it's not so that's his career was overcrowded with great quality scripts/movies, so I don't really there is real merit to the theory that he puts a Premium on quality scripts.

He's been on the stage in major productions, though the films he's done since SP on top of the theater were more than he did post-SF, so he has been working. And he's got Purity all lined up after Bond 25 too, just waiting for him.

But he does what he wants to do, as has always been the case. If nothing lights his fire, he lets it pass and waits for something else. Not exactly the image of a man seeking the hottest paychecks. ;)
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    The other thing about "the general audience won't understand" if they had gone the sequel route is that they already did it with QoS, and then again on a smaller scale with the SP retcon. And I don't remember any comments or reviews complaining that they were lost because they hadn't seen the last one, because people went into it knowing what they were getting, as they would have done with Bond 25 if they'd gone that route.

So now the Craig era is apparently this big saga about Bond's origins and battle with Spectre... plus one more unrelated movie at the end. I get that getting a popular proven draw actor back is the safer option but I really do think that if this was the route they wanted to take they should have just recast.

I wanted a fresh start, stand alone movie, but if they wanted to carry on from SP I could have got on board with that too. But a stand alone movie with Craig is the least appealing option to me. It'd have to be really good for me to get past how pointless it feels. Obviously I'll go and see it, and I'm not going to write it off at such an early stage, but it's not looking good imo.

He's been on the stage in major productions, though the films he's done since SP on top of the theater were more than he did post-SF, so he has been working. And he's got Purity all lined up after Bond 25 too, just waiting for him.

But he does what he wants to do, as has always been the case. If nothing lights his fire, he lets it pass and waits for something else. Not exactly the image of a man seeking the hottest paychecks. ;)
    Yes, I'm quite aware of his theatre output and have even seen one live. Certainly not the most prolific in terms of output since SF however. The Bond films certainly pay well of course.
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Nothing in the movies she produced suggests that she posesses something like a creative vision of her own. Nothing! In fact the opposite is true.
    So now the Craig era is apparently this big saga about Bond's origins and battle with Spectre... plus one more unrelated movie at the end. I get that getting a popular proven draw actor back is the safer option but I really do think that if this was the route they wanted to take they should have just recast.
    It could still have Spectre without Waltz, given he is incarcerated.

Perhaps keeping Craig on also had something to do with a one picture distribution deal. Certainly an uncertain time because they'll have to go through these shenanigans again post B25.
  • ColonelSun wrote: »
    This idea that EON has some obligation to "finish what they started" for the sake of some neurotic need for symmetry or closure for the small percentage of viewers who were even semi-interested in the continuity seems naive and unrealistic. After seeing the public and critical reaction that they got from CR to QOS, and then SF to SP, they would be daft to cling onto what ever plan they had in mind just because it was the plan. Their priority is to make successful film, not to scratch any nerdy itch.

I get that, but it's not like SP wasn't successful. Reviews were decent overall, and it made more money than CR and QoS. I don't think the public would have cared if Bond 25 is a sequel or not as long as it's a good film. But to me it just seems weird to get Craig back if they do want a clean break, especially since SP seemed to wrap up that storyline so neatly. Plus on a personal level I'm annoyed that they seem to have missed the chance to do YOLT properly. Could be ages before they get that opportunity again.

Just because Waltz says he's not back - (and BTW, if u want anyone to lie for u, hire an actor - I mean he may not, under instructions, be telling the truth) - does not mean Bond 25 will no address the events in SP.

That's what I'm hoping (either that he's lying or that it'll still follow on from SP somehow). But I do think this is a bit of a red flag.
    SP obviously brought in a lot money, but it made about 25% less than it's predecessor, and that has always been how EON has measured success. I'm sure there was a master plan in place to follow up OHMSS with a genuine sequel had it performed on a par with YOLT. It didn't and they didnt.
    Indeed. By all accounts the distributor (Sony) may have actually lost money on it.
    It could still have Spectre without Waltz, given he is incarcerated.

Perhaps keeping Craig on also had something to do with a one picture distribution deal. Certainly an uncertain time because they'll have to go through these shenanigans again post B25.

Precisely...thats how i see it...it makes sense.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Any chance we could just be getting a new Blofeld? It's happened before and he's basically a completely different character every time in the books. Doesn't seem very likely though.
    SP obviously brought in a lot money, but it made about 25% less than it's predecessor, and that has always been how EON has measured success. I'm sure there was a master plan in place to follow up OHMSS with a genuine sequel had it performed on a par with YOLT. It didn't and they didnt.

Yeah I can't fault that to be honest, I know it probably makes the most business sense and it was naive of me to expect anything else but I'm still disappointed. I mean you said yourself, it made more business sense to go stand alone with DAF, but a lot of us still all long for the OHMSS follow up that could have been. It's a similar situation now imo.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    At the most, Waltz is bluffing again and he knows something about the next film and his part in it. At the least he has a small cameo where Bond visits him for some intel while behind bars or he doesn't show up at all and is only mentioned in passing or not at all.

Those behind the scenes know what the story is, and who needs to be cast and who will return from the last film, we're just here wasting away with speculation. But at this point I don't trust anyone beyond the announcement of Dan's return that I knew we'd get anyway. Everything else is debatable for its credibility/authenticity beyond the leading man, and it's the go-to move for actors to lie through their teeth on red carpets. Whether it's the truth or not can only be revealed with time.

If Villeneuve is in the pipeline and Waltz is telling the truth, perhaps it's a sign that EON have signed on a director (or who are preparing to sign one) who wants to do an original story and do their "own thing" as Mendes wanted for SF. This would then mean that a new villain would be formulated for said project.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    You would think they would have locked him in a contract for a couple of films
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That was the case in a report they made a couple of years ago, with Waltz apparently signing up for two films only if Craig returns.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

I wouldn't expect that much from EON my friend. Even though I liked Waltz, this is good news to me. Maybe it won't be SP Part 2.
    That was the case in a report they made a couple of years ago, with Waltz apparently signing up for two films only if Craig returns.

Another annoying uncertainty, yes. But I imagine that, just as they were flexible with Dan's contract after a certain point, EON weren't heavily contracting Waltz and allowed him wiggle room depending on what came after SP and what Dan wanted. It always seemed like an informal agreement, and was subject to change instead of being a binding one.
    Great news. I hope B25 is to SP what SF was to QoS.
    They could have let him out of his contact. These things are never fixed anyway.
    They could have let him out of his contact. These things are never fixed anyway.

And it's really better that way. Contracts have a bad name for a reason. They can restrict and put the contractee in a weird place. EON have been smart to keep everyone loosely contracted instead of tying them up indefinitely, even with their leading man, where the understanding seems to be that you'll get a call if you're needed. That allows for EON to respond sensibly to whatever changes they need to make in a new film depending on various factors, including how a film was received, the BO and what their actors' schedules are. Instead of feeling forced into doing something because of a contract, like keeping an actor in play they don't feel they need, they have more freedom than they would otherwise.
    I knew he wasn't back, just as they ignored qos they will ignore sp. Also sf should still be considered a stabdalone, with loose ties to the others (former sp agent gone rogue). Even goldfinger had some connection to spectre (both working with the chinese)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If Waltz is correct, and he said in the past that he'd only return if Craig did, then it has to be a decision from the writers not incorporating him into it and going with a different angle for his final installment. Because I'm sure Waltz wouldn't have elected to not appear if they wanted him back.
    The rumors of him signing on (on the condition that Craig return) are unsubstantiated, and denied by Waltz himself.
    jake24 wrote: »
    If Waltz is correct, and he said in the past that he'd only return if Craig did, then it has to be a decision from the writers not incorporating him into it and going with a different angle for his final installment. Because I'm sure Waltz wouldn't have elected to not appear if they wanted him back.
    The rumors of him signing on (on the condition that Craig return) are unsubstantiated, and denied by Waltz himself.

Then who knows what's going on with him. He'll return or he won't, I can guarantee that!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Then who knows what's going on with him. He'll return or he won't, I can guarantee that!

Source?

Source?

@Creasy47 has secretly been Baz this entire time.
    I don't understand why for some a craig film must address spectre. Why must the actor be replaced for a standalone, especially when we have craig. Seemed to work fine for skyfall.

Source?

I can't reveal my sources, but I will give you a hint: I'm Christoph Waltz.

DerHumpink.jpg

Source?

I can't reveal my sources, but I will give you a hint: I'm Christoph Waltz.

DerHumpink.jpg

Big fan. Big fan!