No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited September 2017 Posts: 684
    Ha! Excellent @Gobi-1 -- that'd make for an excellent skin.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited September 2017 Posts: 732
    I am not sure about what to think of the possibilities Apple/Netflix/Amazon could offer.

I am against an expanded"universe" around 007 because I think it will take away some of the charisma/event character that is part of what makes "the Bond brand" what it is. Filling me up with more and more of it through different channels will definitly hurt my anticipation of a new 007 installment. Look at this forum, read the news: Part of what makes it so exclusive (and attractive) is that it's a little rare. I do not think comparisons to Marvel or Star Wars make any sense. I am not saying good writers can't add interesting characters to the "007 world" - I just think it will hurt a big part of what makes 007 exactly what it is.

I am pro Apple/Netflix/Amazon ... to buy the rights from MGM so there will be enough money and pressure to deliver a new movie every two years again. That I would definitely appreciate. I don't mind Bond becoming exclusive to Netflix/Amazon/Apple at all (plus there will always be BluRay/Other physical media packages sold) if that's the price and no more TV airings. The back catalog may still be licensed and just movies B25 and beyond may be exclusive etc. For that I personally don't care ... as long as Bond will remain in the cinema and does not become a TV series.

In conclusion I appreciate everything that avoids 4-year gaps between movies - but am against anything that reduces the 007 "exclusivity" by delivering "too much" ... even it might be "today's fashion" in form of expanded universes. TV would definitely no longer mean "low quality adaptions" anymore - still I don't want a 007 TV series even in Mad Men quality and true Fleming adaptions playing in the 50s.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited September 2017 Posts: 732
    Bond is more of a lifestyle such as nice cars, food, watches, hotels, clothes, women which one can try to aspire to in the real world.
    I agree! It's different and exactly like you said.

Yes! Bond has a strong influence and the Bond lifestyle (to some extend) is something I adopted in very small doses myself: Connery's Bond always was and remains unreachable for me - I could do nothing he did and add it to my personal lifestyle. But Craig's Bond in very small doses influenced my lifestyle in the form I started working out and took Craig as a role model (since he is about my age and height), I do wear a QoS Harrington Jacked and on occasions the very stylish SF Shanghai outfit.

But I doubt there's a market for the 007 items (gadgets, wardrobe) for a mass market like the mentioned light sabers oder whatsoever. I could go in full QoS / DN / SF outfit to ComicCon and nobody would realize whom I want to portrait - while anybody immediatly recognizes Indiana Jones / Darth Vader / Captain America and so on and so on.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2017 Posts: 11,139
     "Bond is considered an under-utilized property"

For anyone who hasn't buried their head in the sand this is an obvious and huge understatement.

From all types of merchandising, to general access, it's quite shocking that nothing significant has happened to rectify this and for Bond's brand to have a larger presence amongst other fandom. There's being niche and then There's being pathetically small to the point of being almost a non entity. Bond in no way should be in this situation.
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Does this affect bond?

was going to ask same thing what does bond have to do with this?

Doesn't directly affect Bond but shows MGM is developing something of a distribution operation for the movies it will brand with the Orion name.

Irony: Orion was the company Arthur Krim and other executives started after they exited United Artists. Woody Allen, whose movies had been released by UA, went with them.
    To expand the Bond universe they do have Moneypenny Diaries and Young Bond. Some solid novels there.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    vzok wrote: »
    To expand the Bond universe they do have Moneypenny Diaries and Young Bond. Some solid novels there.

Please, no.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Please, no.
    Seconded.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,602
    If there is money to be made from expanding/exploiting the Bond universe, it will happen. No doubt some fans will be unhappy but there is little point in complaining/moaning about something that is inevitable. It is in the nature of capitalism/corporate culture. The family nature of EON has meant that there has been a long term delay in the process but, eventually, it will happen.

Please, no.
    Seconded.

No fans of Cole or Higson? How about using graphic novels?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Please, no.
    Seconded.

I have not read those books. It is the concept itself that I don t care for. Adapting comic strips/graphic novels? Sure, why not.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,423

Please, no.
    Seconded.

I like Young Bond but it should stay what they are. Time-killer novels about Bond's past (even though, not plausible for my liking).

As for normal James Bond comic book/graphic novels with original stories? There are many of them the Bond films could use as a good source. Excluding the spinoffs.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,692
    The big difference is that the hardcore fan base of James Bond is infinitely smaller than most blockbuster franchises, ie: Marvel (or any superhero series), Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, etc. And by that I mean there is probably 1000 times, if not a million times more hardcore fans of those franchises than there are for Bond. Basically we could say the Bond fanbase we see on these forums is non-existent. Which is why a Bond universe, specifically a cinematic universe, is simply a non-idea and will never work. Outside of niche Bond website like MI6Community, no one even remotely cares about seeing a Q movie, a Moneypenny movie, an M movie, a Blofeld spinoff, a Jinx spinoff or whatever. You simply cannot do anything Bond related if it isn"t a James Bond movie. There is zero demand for spin-offs films, because outside of these forums, nobody cares about these films.
    Its not just about expanding the universe, its about exploitung the existing one. Are there Bond fans who would spend more of their cash on Bond stuff if there was more Bond stuff to buy? Has every pound/dollar been squeezed out of the Bond fan base? Because thats how business works.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    patb wrote: »
    Its not just about expanding the universe, its about exploitung the existing one. Are there Bond fans who would spend more of their cash on Bond stuff if there was more Bond stuff to buy? Has every pound/dollar been squeezed out of the Bond fan base? Because thats how business works.

The Bond fanbase does not exist outside of forums like this one. I'm not saying there isn't material to exploit, but there is no fan base to exploit. The Bond fan base represents 0.000001% (and the actual percentage is probably even smaller) of the total audience that go see James Bond movies. So, if we look at it from a business perspective, it won't happen as there aren't millions/billions to be made but only a few hundred grands at most.
    The video games market is an obvious example. We know from GE that if the game is good, it will sell. I can't beleive that this market has been fully exploited. There is money in peoples pockets.

On a larger point, James Bond is a brand with massive global reach and great brand values. Again, I don't beleive the brand has been fully exploited.

Sometimes the options are staring you in the face. Airfix never did a Skyfall version of this. The connection between Bond and Airfix is perfect - grown up boys :-)

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/agustawestland-merlin-hc3-1-48.html

PS I wont this :-)

http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/266%20%C3%82%C2%A0[02/371964
    If there is money to be made from expanding/exploiting the Bond universe, it will happen. No doubt some fans will be unhappy but there is little point in complaining/moaning about something that is inevitable. It is in the nature of capitalism/corporate culture. The family nature of EON has meant that there has been a long term delay in the process but, eventually, it will happen.

Maybe James Bond Jr will make a return!
    Dennison wrote: »

Maybe James Bond Jr will make a return!

Don't even jest about that !
    Why bring video games into this? Of course there is a huge market for Bond related video games. I am specifically talking about a cinematic Bond universe. There is no fan base to exploit. None. Zero. Nada. Zitch. That's the fact some don't understand. The Bond film franchise is one of the longest running film series in history, and is hugely popular on a massive world wide scale, but it has no hardcore fanbase. That's why movie spinoffs cannot happen, as they don't even qualify for a niche audience given how few hardcore Bond fans there are. There's nothing stopping EON or another studio on making an M/BlofeldQ/MP spin off, but there is 0 audience for such films outside of members of MI6Community and other similar Bond forums.
    Created a poll: Which company should distribute Bond 25? https://strawpoll.com/7xh182s3
    I included all 7 companies that are in the race right now as far as we know. Please vote!
    So far it's clear: Bond fans want either Warner or Annapurna, with Warner being the clear favourite. Lucky us, Warner is still the most likely company to end up distributing Bond 25.
    "There is no fan base to exploit."

Thats a bold statement. No fan base? at all? not even a small one? I respectfully beg to differ.

Thats a bold statement. No fan base? at all? not even a small one? I respectfully beg to differ.

It isn't a statement, it's pretty much a fact about the James Bond franchise that you and a few others refuse to admit. We're not talking people who appreciate Bond and will go see every new Bond film because these films are world wide events. And we're not talking casual Bond fans either, because there are hundred of millions of them across the globe. We are talking hardcore Bond fans, and the simple factual truth is the hardcore Bond fanbase does not exist outside of forums like the one we are on right now.

The Bond franchise is one of the most popular franchise in history, but it has zero hardcore fan base. Compared to the hardcore fanbase of other franchises like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel or Harry Potter, the hardcore Bond fans just don't exist as they are outnumbered a million to one. Bond has an immense and and un-rivaled dedicated audience as every Bond film are amongst the top 10 films world wide in any given year a new outing is released, but the hardcore fanbase for Bond is non-existent.
    Created a poll: Which company should distribute Bond 25? https://strawpoll.com/7xh182s3
    I included all 7 companies that are in the race right now as far as we know. Please vote!
    So far it's clear: Bond fans want either Warner or Annapurna, with Warner being the clear favourite. Lucky us, Warner is still the most likely company to end up distributing Bond 25.

WB for me too.

You make some good points but, lets be specific, the fanbase either exists or it doesn't. How can the fanbase be outnumbered if it does not exist?

Pretty much a fact? It's either a fact or it's not. There are no "pretty much facts"
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited September 2017 Posts: 292
    I feel it is worth saying here that EON Productions' non-Bond projects for the stage, TV and cinema have nothing to do with any suggested delay between 007 films - as was purported on the main MI6 news page. That is not the case at all.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

It isn't a statement, it's pretty much a fact about the James Bond franchise that you and a few others refuse to admit. We're not talking people who appreciate Bond and will go see every new Bond film because these films are world wide events. And we're not talking casual Bond fans either, because there are hundred of millions of them across the globe. We are talking hardcore Bond fans, and the simple factual truth is the hardcore Bond fanbase does not exist outside of forums like the one we are on right now.

The Bond franchise is one of the most popular franchise in history, but it has zero hardcore fan base. Compared to the hardcore fanbase of other franchises like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel or Harry Potter, the hardcore Bond fans just don't exist as they are outnumbered a million to one. Bond has an immense and and un-rivaled dedicated audience as every Bond film are amongst the top 10 films world wide in any given year a new outing is released, but the hardcore fanbase for Bond is non-existent.

You keep saying the same thing over and over again, maybe you should clearly define what exactly you make out to be a "hardcore fan base" and how it differs between "those who appreciate Bond" and "casual Bond fans" (especially after you say things like "the Bond franchise is one of the most popular franchises in history, which seems to run counter to your thesis) so people can more easily decide if they agree with you that there are all but zero of these people.
    "Contemporary definitions for fan base. noun. the regular supporters and enthusiasts of a team, musician or musical group, entertainer, or other celebrity."

It's on that basis that I struggle with the "fact" (or pretty much a fact) that there is no fanbase to exploit. It seems like a very fair defintion to me.it than fan base.

Potential investors from Apple, Amazon etc are not mugs. They will have very detailed statistical, global breakdowns of the Bond "fanbase" and what it means to them in terms of their ability to exploit the market.
  • If EON are genuinely looking to offload, it's about custodianship.

Don't care if it's WB, Apple or McDonald's, as long as they understand the franchise.
    You make some good points but, lets be specific, the fanbase either exists or it doesn't. How can the fanbase be outnumbered if it does not exist?

Pretty much a fact? It's either a fact or it's not. There are no "pretty much facts"

You don't seem to understand. We are specifically talking about hardcore Bond fans. There are so few of us that we may as well not exist compared to the hardcore fans for Star Wars, Harry Potter, superheroes, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.

So if you want facts:
    1) There are hundreds of millions of people across the globe who appreciate Bond, might call themselves casual Bond fans, and will most certainly go watch every new Bond film that will be released.
    2) The hardcore fanbase for Bond is extremely small. Outside of forums like this one, there simply aren't any. Which is why I said 'it does not exist' as an exaggeration.

You keep saying the same thing over and over again, maybe you should clearly define what exactly you make out to be a "hardcore fan base" and how it differs between "those who appreciate Bond" and "casual Bond fans" (especially after you say things like "the Bond franchise is one of the most popular franchises in history, which seems to run counter to your thesis) so people can more easily decide if they agree with you that there are all but zero of these people.

It's not hard to understand. There are hundreds of millions of casual Bond fans, or even simply people who will go see the latest Bond films as a tradition. Hardcore Bond fans are infinitely smaller in numbers.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2017 Posts: 7,527
    Totally, but when Dalton says "Bond film are amongst the top 10 films world wide in any given year a new outing is released" but claims there is no hardcore Bond fan base, I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I just want to know how Dalton defines a hardcore fan base in his context.