The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Would we like a generalised "Clothes In The Bond Films" thread to discuss wardrobe in all the films?
    JET007 wrote: »
    slyfox wrote: »
    The Persol sunglasses DC wears in his first meeting with Mathis in CR were by far the best in my view.

Mine, too! I'm biased as I own a pair, tho'! ;-)

So did I until Saturday (lost them on a bar crawl!) You didn't take them did you? ;-)
    I am innocent. :D Sorry to hear you lost them.

DoubleO, don't see why not!
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Would we like a generalised "Clothes In The Bond Films" thread to discuss wardrobe in all the films?

No reason for a new thread, IMO. I think it's best to rename this thread and discuss everything here.

In talks about the wardrobe in the new film, there will no doubt be references to clothes in the old films, so creating a thread about Bond wardrobe in general will basically result in talking about the same thing in two threads.

Right, I guess if someone wants to go ahead and make the thread, that'd be great. We can keep this one purely for SPECTRE.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    For those interested the sunglasses are the TF FT0237.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I agree on the 2nd photo being awful in more ways than one, but again, it's his personal style and he's entitled to it. When playing Bond, it is a different matter entirely, imho.

He is certainly entitled to it but I'd hesitate to call it style. More sartorial suicide.
    TripAces wrote: »
    @TriggerMortis: You see Bob Builder...I see bad ass.
    LOL

Maybe he's a bad ass builder about to sabotage Spectre's plumbing ?
    There could even be an Aston Martin white van parked around the corner poised to take him on the mission.

Really gentlefolk, this is not how 007 should dress on or off duty!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree on the 2nd photo being awful in more ways than one, but again, it's his personal style and he's entitled to it. When playing Bond, it is a different matter entirely, imho.

He is certainly entitled to it but I'd hesitate to call it style. More sartorial suicide.
    LOL

There could even be an Aston Martin white van parked around the corner poised to take him on the mission.

The only misstep is that belt:

http://www.esquire.co.uk/style/article/5078/daniel-craig-style-guide/
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

LOL

Agree, but he loves that belt!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Guys, do we know anything yet about the Austria pants? Are they winter/snow pants?
  • Sandy wrote: »

LOL

We need to save the next 007 from this stuff. I'm sure Michael Fassbender will keep his sartorial end up!

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    How many suits does Craig wear in SP? The scene as shown on the trailer where he gets his legs hit with the stick and Oberhauser tells him he's tge author of all his pain has Bond wearing a dark suit which we havn't seen anywhere else before and it's not the dark 3 piece he wears for the funeral.
    Sandy wrote: »

LOL

We need to save the next 007 from this stuff. I'm sure Michael Fassbender will keep his sartorial end up!

Keep dreaming; Fassbender will never be Bond unfortunately.

• doubleoego wrote: »

LOL

Choose your next witticism carefully Mr. Ego
    TM happens to think differently.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    If you start referring to yourself in the third person you'll really be giving the game away TriggerVilliers
    doubleoego wrote: »

LOL

You can think what you like; It doesn't change the fact that Fassbender being cast as Bond is nothing more than an exercise of futility. Carry on.
  • doubleoego wrote: »

LOL

You can think what you like; It doesn't change the fact that Fassbender being cast as Bond is nothing more than an exercise of futility. Carry on.

I'm sure that Ms.Broccoli and Mr.Wilson will have the ever elegant Mr.Fassbender in their sights.

This has nothing to do with the clothes in SPECTRE. Please keep this on topic.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Guys, does anyone have any information on the pants worn in the poster with the N. Peal sweater?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    http://www.omegawatches.com/news/international-news/international-news-detail/3015

Not in SPECTRE per se, but part of the marketing. Have to say this suit looks particularly awful.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Nope, it is badly cut. Ask a tailor.

You think the costume designers and wardrobe dept would actually put him in clothing that didn't fit?

I'm afraid they would.
    They have been very misguided with Bond's formal wardrobe throughout and I think it's for three reasons.
    Firstly, they have elected to follow this 'Mad Men' fashion for badly cut fashion suits or, as the great @villieurs53 describes them; " the honey I shrunk the kids Pee-wee Herman look". This is a huge mistake as Bond should be all about understated classicism and, in my opinion, the Craig Bond wardrobe is already dating very badly.
    Secondly, although I think Danny is a good actor, I don't think he is a style icon and I think his dodgy personal taste has adversely affected wardrobe choices.
    When I see photos of him on the street there is no way he has the innate sense of personal style of say a Steve McQueen or a Carry Grant. He often dresses way too young for his age and makes some bad choices.
    Last, but by no means least, Bond is a quintessentially British hero and it makes sense to go to 'The Row' to dress him. This is the bastion of English style and they know how to do it.

But that's just it. It's a matter of personal taste. Tighter fitting suits and slimmer styles are, in fact, the style, especially in Europe. From that standpoint, Bond's (DC's) clothing choices are perfectly fine.

As a fashion icon, DC is hit and miss. But he gets it right more often than wrong:

06.1_OlgaKurylenko_DanielCraig.jpg

skyfall-craig-suit-800x800.jpg

daniel-craig-casual-look.jpg

This is interesting because the three photos illustrate my point perfectly:

photo one: the trousers are way too long and the colour palette is contrived.

Photo two: the suit is way too tight and again the colour palette is wrong.

Photo three: Sorry but he looks like 'Bob the builder'

I rest my case.

That's made even finnier as Dan's wife Rachel used to be long term girlfriend of Neil Morrissey who voiced Bob the builder.

I happen to think Dan always looks cool. Scruffy works for him.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Guys, does anyone have any information on the pants worn in the poster with the N. Peal sweater?

Tom Ford most likely according to this...
    http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/spectre-teaser-poster-a-charcoal-mock-polo-neck/
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited August 2015 Posts: 2,138
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Tom Ford most likely according to this...
    http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/spectre-teaser-poster-a-charcoal-mock-polo-neck/

Yes they are Tom Ford part of a suit I believe. I think maybe even the suit being worn in scenes in M's office. Debenhams in the UK had an almost identical pair on sale a few weeks ago. It a very in look Texture pant.
    Very dapper!

Wish his suits were this fitting in tge movie.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Have to 'shoot in and out' of this thread as I haven't watched the trailers and am actively avoiding photos from them! Hope you guys enjoy!
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Seriously, dude looks practically the same as he did back in 2006.

Heineken-James-Bond-2-GQ-21Aug15-pr_b_720x1080.jpg

Heineken-James-Bond-1-GQ-21Aug15-pr_b_720x1080.jpg

Heineken-James-Bond-3-GQ-21Aug15-pr_b_720x1080.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He has very hairy hands. We know what that means. Next he is going blind.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Seriously, dude looks practically the same as he did back in 2006.

Heineken-James-Bond-2-GQ-21Aug15-pr_b_720x1080.jpg

Heineken-James-Bond-1-GQ-21Aug15-pr_b_720x1080.jpg

Heineken-James-Bond-3-GQ-21Aug15-pr_b_720x1080.jpg

Nah. Right eyelid is drooping; you can now see the liver spots (aging spots) on his forehead. But these aren't complaints: I like that he's looking a little older.