The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

Something to aspire to, tho...
    Sark wrote: »
    DC seems to be going back to the SC approach (suits where required, and smart casual when the situation demands it).

the thing that gives me pause is the scene in the trailer in Mexico City where Bond is attempting an assassination in a full suit.

Wasn't he in a social event before? He can wear a full suit to blend in before he gets into an operation.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Matt007 wrote: »
    The black polo shirt is great.

Bond wearing a suit is a visual short cut for class and style IMO. It's also the least achievable look to everyone in the audience. A savile row suit is both expensive and British. Ie out of reach of the vast majority of the audience.

Yes, not every man out there knows how to wear a suit unfortunately.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    My favourite part of the awesome new trailer is the white dinner jacket. Craig's Bond is finally legit (if he wasn't already). Only long running actors get to don the stylish white jacket.
    Craig had worn midnight blue tuxedo twice out of his three outing and one black in CR, so it seems a good option to go with ivory tuxedo this time, it may be a hint that Craig's Bond era is finally moving back towards the classic
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have to say that the white dinner jacket is a very difficult thing to pull off. I don't really think DC does it as well as SC or RM, but he looks better in it than I expected.

This film is shaping up nicely in the sartorial dept so far.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have to say that the white dinner jacket is a very difficult thing to pull off. I don't really think DC does it as well as SC or RM, but he looks better in it than I expected.

This film is shaping up nicely in the sartorial dept so far.

I think it's because we haven't seen a white dinner jacket in a Bond film in a very long time :-). Last time Roger Moore wore it in his last outing. So we associate this ivory dinner jacket with "old". So it's about time that Daniel sets the standard again.

Like early this year "Kingsman" set a new standard with double-breasted suits, Daniel Craig now does the same thing for ivory-white tuxedo's ;-). In 5 years from now everyone will wear them hehe.
    5 years from now? Dudes will be placing orders 5 minutes after SP's release. I actually own 3 dinner suits and be a use I knew Bond will be wearing the ivory dinner jacket, I bought myself an ivory dinner jacket back in March.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    A history of Bond in the white dinner jacket.

ZKURH6Y.jpg
    I can't see if the ivory dinner jacket of Daniel is single-breasted or double-breasted. The one from Moore in TMWTGG was. I'm asking this, because the collars of Bond's jacket are quite large, very retro 70's.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited July 2015 Posts: 2,630
    I can't see if the ivory dinner jacket of Daniel is single-breasted or double-breasted. The one from Moore in TMWTGG was. I'm asking this, because the collars of Bond's jacket are quite large, very retro 70's.

According to Tom Ford, it's single breasted. (and the lack of buttons on the side makes it obvious)
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119

According to Tom Ford, it's single breasted. (and the lack of buttons on the side makes it obvious)

Thanks man ;-). One other piece of fashion I have spotted. And that's a newcomer to the Bond franchise:

3VnFcS.jpg

The piece of equipment originally was purely for practical reasons. In the past, especially the 1920's shirts had button-less collars, though they had two holes. A tie pin could be used by sticking through these holes, so the collars would stay in place. Michael Douglas is perhaps one of the last actors who made use of it in films like "Wallstreet". But before that they were actually very common in the 'roaring 20-ies':
    Fred-Astaire-collar-pin.jpg
    gfp0qU.jpg
    9346336_f520.jpg
    cagney.png

Actually the collar/tie pin is making a comeback in fashion, as you can see here. It looks quite 'dandy'. On top of that, certain designers, like James Bond's own Tom Ford, are daring enough to wear a slightly more loose-fit suit with larger 70's esque suit collars as opposed to the 1960's shawl- and small-shaped collars we've seen in the past years.:
    how-to-wear-Linen-suits-8.jpg
    IMG_4423.jpg?c91a8e
    tom-ford-tom-hiddelston-collar-bar.jpg
    TOM-FORD-GETTY_1835308a.jpg
    9c29f58357e5fa7bcc06b08468aad488.jpg
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Personally I hate tie pins. Serve no practical purpose at all.
    Sark wrote: »
    Personally I hate tie pins. Serve no practical purpose at all.

True. Nowadays they are more like juwelry :-). Like this 18 karat gold one:
    cj_JT1890k14_Collar_Pin_14k_Gold_Collar_Pin.jpg

Exactly. Bind has never been an ornamental jewelry type. He's well dressed, not a dandy.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The pin can look good in certain occasions. Bond is in Rome when he is wearing one, at the funeral, I think it fits.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    While a nice nod to previous Bond's, the Ivory Dinner Jacket doesn't particularly suit (no pun intended) Craig's pale complexion. The huge lapels and pointy bow-tie don't help either, just far too much going on for the look to work. Connery in GF is still the gold standard here.

Those pinned collars are bloody awful too, far too dandyish for Bond. Be glad when this Tom Ford phase is done.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    5 years from now? Dudes will be placing orders 5 minutes after SP's release. I actually own 3 dinner suits and be a use I knew Bond will be wearing the ivory dinner jacket, I bought myself an ivory dinner jacket back in March.

This morning on BBC 5Live they interviewed a Saville Row tailor who talked about the influence of Bond on the DJs he makes. After Skyfall there was a big demand for the midnight blue DJ and his demand went from 2-3 up to over 50. He is expecting exactly the same for the white (his word not mine) DJ from Spectre.
    Yep. See; this sort of thing always happens but one needs to be judicial in when to wear tge ivory jacket unlike the black/midnight blue get up. It's much easier to get the ivory look disastrously wrong.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Well, I'm pretty disappointed with the wardrobe choices on this film so far. I think quite a lot of the clothing looks ill-fitting and nothing seems that cohesive. The funeral look is the worst for me so far. I dislike tie pins with a passion, the sunglasses look too small for him, the overcoat looks too big and fits badly, the double monkstraps are hideous, IMO. The whole ensemble looks ostentatious. The icing on the cake is that after going to all that trouble to look "sophisticated" for the funeral, he wears a dive watch on a NATO with his suit.
    The Persol sunglasses DC wears in his first meeting with Mathis in CR were by far the best in my view.
    must say I'm not sure on the white dinner Jacket. Was really looking forward to it, but it looks a little ruffled. Connery's Goldfinger is still the best, followed by Moore in Octopus IMO.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Well, I'm pretty disappointed with the wardrobe choices on this film so far. I think quite a lot of the clothing looks ill-fitting and nothing seems that cohesive. The funeral look is the worst for me so far. I dislike tie pins with a passion, the sunglasses look too small for him, the overcoat looks too big and fits badly, the double monkstraps are hideous, IMO. The whole ensemble looks ostentatious. The icing on the cake is that after going to all that trouble to look "sophisticated" for the funeral, he wears a dive watch on a NATO with his suit.

Point this out based on two scenes of 3 seconds each plus a bunch of Images is a little pretentious, isn't it?
    And, maybe there is a reason why he has that watch with that nato?
    (Believe me, there is a reason)

Why are people even complaining about Bond's watch...if you really want to get snobby, then since Dr.No Bond has "failed" when it comes to his pairing his time piece with his formal outfits. Bond has never ever worn a "dress watch".
    edited July 2015 Posts: 630
    There is no more a dress watch. The watch people wears with a suit goes from a DJ to a MoonWatch to a Sub to a AP RO for the ones who can afford it. No more leather strapped simple elegant watches. This is not the time for them. Only really high end watch houses do that nowadays. I'm talking about 40k+ euros watches like Lange & Sohne, owned by people with a dozen watches or more.
    Plus, that nato is an homage to a similar Nato with a similar Tux.
    It's really good
    Yes, Pateks and Vasherons and the such like. Point is, even Fleming when writing the novels in the 50s never had Bond wearing a traditional dress watch yet you get some people today scowling at the idea of pairing even a speed master moon watch with a dinner suit nevermind a rolex sub, explorer, Aqua terra and anything with a rotating bezel. Truth is, nobody gives a shit really and they'll wear what ever they want. Prince William isn't James Bond but even he wears his seamaster 300 with everything from swim shorts at the beach to wearing a dinner suit at countless events.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    It's true that Bond technically commited a fashion faux pas by wearing his diver with a suit - if one is being pedantic. However, we've more or less accepted that now, as most people do it.

The NATO is a different matter however. SC wore it with a dinner jacket in GF, but he'd just come out of the water. Same in TB I think.

So, hopefully there is some reason for DC to be wearing a NATO with his watch and a suit, if that's what he's doing in SP. Just doing it for the sake of doing it does smack of carelessness imho.

I noticed SC is wearing a dress watch in this clip from GF (A Gruen I believe):
    jbw007-65sq.jpg
    Matt007 wrote: »
    must say I'm not sure on the white dinner Jacket. Was really looking forward to it, but it looks a little ruffled. Connery's Goldfinger is still the best, followed by Moore in Octopus IMO.
    What's always bugged me about his OP look is that he's obviously not wearing an undershirt.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    edited July 2015 Posts: 864
    Point this out based on two scenes of 3 seconds each plus a bunch of Images is a little pretentious, isn't it?

How is it pretentious to comment on pictures of what Bond is wearing in a thread about the wardrobe choices in SPECTRE? It isn't. I'm entirely entitled to express my opinion about the clothes in the film.

As to the watch on the NATO, whatever reason there is for him to wear it (and I assume you're meaning it is an homage to GF), it still looks out of place with what he's wearing. The NATO is far less discreet that the one worn in GF.

You may well say that no one wears dress watches anymore, and I'd agree to an extent. But I think a NATO with formal wear looks wrong.

How is it pretentious to comment on pictures of what Bond is wearing in a thread about the wardrobe choices in SPECTRE? It isn't. I'm entirely entitled to express my opinion about the clothes in the film.

As to the watch on the NATO, whatever reason there is for him to wear it (and I assume you're meaning it is an homage to GF), it still looks out of place with what he's wearing. The NATO is far less discreet that the one worn in GF.

You may well say that no one wears dress watches anymore, and I'd agree to an extent. But I think a NATO with formal wear looks wrong.

It's pretentious to me to express how it fits based on images or two seconds of movie.
    Regarding the reasons you are assuming wrong, the reason isn't the homage.
    I don't see it wrong, it's not so different to me to wear a jubilee or a nato.
    And it is practicaly the same compared to the GF one, even more elegant