The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

Thanks for the spoiler.

It was a photo that widely appeared in the papers, and they suggested it was from the film's finale. I can't see how that's a spoiler, unless you were trying to avoid all news about the film, which obviously isn't the case if you're on this forum. If you're browsing a thread about the wardrobe in SPECTRE, you should expect to see some images that may reveal plot details.

Isn't it a Janker, the Austrian version of the Mao suit
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    JCRendle wrote: »

You're absolutely right. Worn often with Lederhosen.
    275478003-janker-fedora-traditional-costume-parade-traditional-costume-festival.jpg
  • chipstickschipsticks NOT on TheDanielCraigForum where they think know Daniel Craig personally and Léa and Monica are ugly
    Thanks for posting @chipsticks. Very informative information there. I knew it was a Nehru jacket, but did not realize that Charles Gray wore the Mao suit (with turned down collar) in DAF.

Of course. Even better as a Janker.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,727

Ahem!! Now hold on just a minute [-(
    Being half Austrian I must protest and put you fellas right here.

The 'Janker' is IN NO WAY 'an Austrian version of the Mao suit'. That's like saying the British bowler/bob hat is the 'English version' of Mussolini's Fez hat... the one most definitely precedes the other, ie. the Janker was around WELL before Mao ever got his groove on.

It was actually originally a long women's coat, but then became the term for the traditional folk jacket in the 18th century.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Kamal Khan wore two different coloured ones in Octopussy http://www.jamesbondwiki.com/page/Kamal+Khan+Pics+&+Clips
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138
    AceHole wrote: »

Ahem!! Now hold on just a minute [-(
    Being half Austrian I must protest and put you fellas right here.

The 'Janker' is IN NO WAY 'an Austrian version of the Mao suit'. That's like saying the British bowler/bob hat is the 'English version' of Mussolini's Fez hat... the one most definitely precedes the other, ie. the Janker was around WELL before Mao ever got his groove on.

It was actually originally a long women's coat, but then became the term for the traditional folk jacket in the 18th century.

Yes believe you are right

http://www.monacobavaria.de/shop/en/bavarian-jacket-janker-green

Although it could be a German Loden jacket.

Either way I love what Waltz wears.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    A Janker would be in line with the character's roots
    Hi, don't want to open a can off worms over recent Bon wardrobe on here again but I just found this picture and thought wow and it really does point out how great Dan looks in suits Taylored rather than TF off the rack. But then I noticed, there is that hand in the pocket thing again!

2nhhobd.jpg
  • chipstickschipsticks NOT on TheDanielCraigForum where they think know Daniel Craig personally and Léa and Monica are ugly
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks for posting @chipsticks. Very informative information there. I knew it was a Nehru jacket, but did not realize that Charles Gray wore the Mao suit (with turned down collar) in DAF.

You are very welcome :-bd
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Would Bond's look in Skyfall/Spectre be improved if his suits looked more like this? xjTajnr.jpg
    Would Bond's look in Skyfall/Spectre be improved if his suits looked more like this? xjTajnr.jpg

Add slanted pockets, a ticket pocket and we have a deal :D
    White is the the classic combination with Navy suit, i personally wear white shirt always with navy suit, light shit may look dull under his Windowpane jacket, and grey shirt is not a good choice at all!
    I personally prefer the light blue with a grey suit, Connery does it perfectly in FRMWL for me with the Glen Urquhart Prince of Wales check suit. Although I love the Anthony Sinclair suit in Goldfinger which is considered more iconic. The FRMWL suit, shirt and tie combo is my winner.

14xmrr7.jpg
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I personally prefer the light blue with a grey suit, Connery does it perfectly in FRMWL for me with the Glen Urquhart Prince of Wales check suit. Although I love the Anthony Sinclair suit in Goldfinger which is considered more iconic. The FRMWL suit, shirt and tie combo is my winner.

14xmrr7.jpg

This man is unquestionably the gold standard, even 50+ yrs after the fact. That photo proves it imho. Along with Cary Grant, the definition of iconic cool for me.
    bondjames wrote: »

14xmrr7.jpg

This man is unquestionably the gold standard, even 50+ yrs after the fact. That photo proves it imho. Along with Cary Grant, the definition of iconic cool for me.

You know your spot on, but there is one other man I would add in there who was always immaculately dressed, cool and had that prescence. Robert Vaughn as Solo in TMFU. In this pic he could be Connerys brother. Always thought what a great Felix Leiter he would have made opposite Connery.

v7a1ir.jpg
    I've always loved Vaughan as Solo. You're right @SirHilaryBray, he probably would have made an excellent Felix.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    The Bond Experience has some great news about the wardrobe. They had from Tom Ford the clothes that Bond will wear in the movie.
    There are some mild spoilers such as
    Ivory White Dinner Jacket in Morocco
    https://www.facebook.com/TheBondExperience/posts/898792650189130
    The Bond Experience has some great news about the wardrobe. They had from Tom Ford the clothes that Bond will wear in the movie.
    There are some mild spoilers such as
    Ivory White Dinner Jacket in Morocco
    https://www.facebook.com/TheBondExperience/posts/898792650189130

Great post, love reading Dave's insider info.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    Tom-Ford-Clothes-in-Spectre-Part-1.jpg
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Nice! I wonder how much the Tom Ford Austria jacket is. Probably too much for a 23 year old like me to afford lol.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    I've asked. It's all really too much for a 24 year old like me to afford.
    like really.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I wish there was a similar, yet cheaper alternative to that Austria ribbed jacket. I love the look of that thing.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,138
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I wish there was a similar, yet cheaper alternative to that Austria ribbed jacket. I love the look of that thing.

Hi mate, Zara are notorious for copying new season Tom Ford when it comes to his casual lines of clothing. So much so Tom Ford has spoken out about it before. So keep a close eye on the Autum/Winter season at Zara. You will seek if you look closley it i more of a bubble zip up sweater than a jacket, you may be better for searching for an alternative without using coat/jacket and using hoodie or zip up top to find an alternative.

Its part of the fashion we will see on the high street from retailer for this Autum, See This from Mango you can see something of the same idea and example. These ones are not a great alternative but Im sure there will eventually be something close turns up later in a high street store.

http://www.conceptbycruise.com/moncler-quilted-zip-through-sweatshirt-556158?colcode=55615802&src=google&gclid=CL7EpM-3m8YCFWrpwgodWCcAXg

And another

http://shop.mango.com/GB1/p0/men/clothing/outerwear/contrast-bomber-jacket/?id=43070008_56&n=1&s=prendas_he.cardigans_he&ident=0__0_1434705110959&ts=1434705110959

11izm1u.jpg

It's appears when I researched this I accidently ID'D the quilter zipper sweater it's is by Moncler and is £495.00 already sold out everywhere.

Here is the best budget alternative so far £45

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duck-Cover-Barton-Sweatshirt-Outerwear/dp/B00UH9OJV0
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,727
    like really.

O/T

Fair point.
    It is not easy to dress well when young and strapped for cash. But it is possible.

If you can learn to build a stylish wardrobe on a budget then you will absolutely NAIL it style-wise once you get into your 30's/40's and (hopefully) have a bit more $$$ to spend.

Remember - style is permanent, timeless. 'Fashion' is trend/industry based so no need to concern yourself with it as a young man, unless you have a genuine interest in it.
    AceHole wrote: »
    like really.

O/T

Fair point.
    It is not easy to dress well when young and strapped for cash. But it is possible.

If you can learn to build a stylish wardrobe on a budget then you will absolutely NAIL it style-wise once you get into your 30's/40's and (hopefully) have a bit more $$$ to spend.

Remember - style is permanent, timeless. 'Fashion' is trend/industry based so no need to concern yourself with it as a young man, unless you have a genuine interest in it.

Luckily we're living in a time when young folks tend to dress like their grandparents (but tighter fitting). I "ball on a budget" with TJ Maxx (which sells overstock items from other big retailers for cheap) and Thrift stores (I live in a golf community, so a lot of Polo and Calvin Klein for cheap, too). Be smart about it and it's pretty easy to dress nice for cheap. I got almost the exact outfit Connery wore golfing in GF for 30 bucks (I had the shoes and pants close enough already).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    89U6zVw.png
    match2-816x378.jpg