SPECTRE--last Craig-era film?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Funny because GoldenEye isn't bad. 8-|
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Given that DC is co-producing SP, is there a chance he gets more involved with production after leaving the role? It is certainly plausible.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Funny because GoldenEye isn't bad. 8-|

You're right, it isn't, but we had that reaction. Obviously if it was your first Bond experience you wouldn't see it that way.
    Perhaps so, but this isn't the thread for it.
    After the failed "experiment" with Dalton to bring a more realistic to other Hollywood blockbusters adapted James Bond to the screen (Die Hard, Lethal Weapon comes to mind) they had to play it by the numbers to make sure the franchise will not die.

I'm not sure "failed experiment" is right. The mistake the studio made with LTK was to pitch it against all the other Summer blockbusters of that year with a lackluster marketing campaign. Just have a look at that year's Batman campaign to Bond's, or a Joel Silver production.

The lesson GE learnt was to shift the release date back to the autumn and indulge in a huge marketing assault. The studio, or Eon, will not risk going back to a Summer release date again, not even with Craig. That's the lesson they learned.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I remember it was either around the time of QoS or during the gap between QOS and SF an overwhelming amount of people here were adamant that Bond could and should go back to a summer release date. I thought they were/are all crazy.
    August of 2014 would have been perfect for Spectre.
    Everything would be more perfect then the slot now.
    Germanlady wrote: »

What's wrong with this slot? Star Wars?
    Getafix wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »

What's wrong with this slot? Star Wars?

Lots of things. This whole year is not good, overloaded as it is. Yes, SW, Hunger Games and how much hunger is left after such a year? How much money is left in the pockets?
    Too many films already pleased their appetite in China, hence drop to January etc. etc.
    Just looking at news and various outlets are printing quotes from Craig who is now officially promoting Spectre in the media. He has finally said he is contracted to make one more and will keep going as long as he can. So, I think its very safe to say he'll be doing Bond 25 - which is great news. Craig is probably the best person to play Bond at the moment. He is in great shape (and should be for another 3-4 years if he looks after himself!) and has really re-defined people's expectations of what the role is. I think 5 movies will be a good number - one more than Brosnan- after which EON can recast /reboot and go with a new actor (who will be early / mid 30's). Good news all round!!!!
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Bond Ages first and last appearance

Connery 1st -32 last 53
    Moore 1st 46 Last 57
    Brosnan 1st 42 Last 49
    Craig 1st 40 current 47

Considering he's still 10 years younger than Moore was in AVTAK and 6 year short of Sean in NSNA Dan is aging better and is better shape. He can easily do one or two more so can see no evidence of Dan soon going to be too old for it like some posts have suggested.
  • Daniel Craig does not want “Spectre” to be his last James Bond adventure. Despite seemingly never-ending speculation from fans as to who the next 007 will be, the actor said in a recent interview that he isn’t ready to give up the coveted role just yet. And he might not be ready for a long time. “I’m contracted for one more — but I’m not going to make predictions,” Craig said. “I work myself to death,” the actor added. “It’s getting harder. But such is life.
    http://www.imdb.com/news/ni59064012/
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Craig was 38 in CR.
    I posted this in another thread but I think it's more appropriate here. Sure, it's Yahoo! so take it for what it is but Craig's comments are strange at this point, may taken out of context. http://news.yahoo.com/daniel-craig-told-to-shut-up-and-stop-bond-065948520.html
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Craig was 38 in CR.

In most scenes he was 37.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    IIRC Dalton was around the same age as Broz when he did TLD, Laz 29, and Craig was around 36-37.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    lazenby was 29 going on 16. He still needed to grow up
  • Sam Mendes seems to have put out a hint that Spectre will be Daniel Craig's final Bond, as they mutually agreed on the story being "completion."

Check out the story here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/james-bond-director-sam-mendes-6699718
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06j0c5q

Minute 38 , Mendes says that they were both eager to achieve a sense of completion, Mirror just nicked it for this interview IMHO,

I think SM and DC have formed a very close working relationship and they now come as a pair, making it more likely that we get a new Bond and a new Director rather than a third partnership

Age to me shouldn't matter in a Bond film. As long as the women in the film is closer to Bonds age.
    Sam Mendes seems to have put out a hint that Spectre will be Daniel Craig's final Bond, as they mutually agreed on the story being "completion."

Check out the story here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/james-bond-director-sam-mendes-6699718

I really think he just means he has completed the story he started in Skyfall and also tied up all the lose ends from QoS. It doesnt mean Craig cant do a new story with Bond 25
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Sam Mendes seems to have put out a hint that Spectre will be Daniel Craig's final Bond, as they mutually agreed on the story being "completion."

I really think he just means he has completed the story he started in Skyfall and also tied up all the lose ends from QoS. It doesnt mean Craig cant do a new story with Bond 25

Agreed. Craig is a grown man who has made movies without Mendes btw.

Doubtful Mendes returning ..unsure on Craig.

My hope though is that we don't have another Mendes Craig Bond after SP. As a team I think that's tapped out ...New talent and ideas welcome.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Age to me shouldn't matter in a Bond film. As long as the women in the film is closer to Bonds age.

I prefer the ladies a little younger personally (although I'm willing to make a rare exception for Monica Bellucci), so if that means we need a new actor, then so be it.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 725
    Sam Mendes seems to have put out a hint that Spectre will be Daniel Craig's final Bond, as they mutually agreed on the story being
    "completion."

Agreed. Mendes will have little or no influence over such a huge decision for Craig. The SP BO will likely be a big factor. If it's good, Craig would have major input on the next director, script and everything else. He's worked with too many other directors to hesitate doing a 5th over a new director. He might want a director he already has worked with and trusts, and he would get them. Who knows. Vaughn, Spielberg etc, all possibilities. If BO is again high, EON and Craig will have huge leverage, and the next studio will have no clout up against EONs wishes.

bondjames wrote: »

I prefer the ladies a little younger personally (although I'm willing to make a rare exception for Monica Bellucci), so if that means we need a new actor, then so be it.

You seem to be saying that the often minor supporting roles of Bond girls are more important than the Bond actor. So they should toss Craig to get younger Bond girls?
    smitty wrote: »

You seem to be saying that the often minor supporting roles of Bond girls are more important than the Bond actor. So they should toss Craig to get younger Bond girls?

If it means having younger Bond girls, then I'm definitely open to it. He's near the end of his run anyway and although he's been great, unlike many here I'm indifferent to whether he stays in the role or not. Bond should be in his 30's or early 40's max.
    I would only want Mendes back if Spectre's story is going to continue but by that interview it sounds like Spectre story will not lead into Bond 25. Im not gonna rule out Mendes for Bond 25 tho cause he can very well comeback
    Sam Mendes seems to have put out a hint that Spectre will be Daniel Craig's final Bond, as they mutually agreed on the story being
    "completion."

Agreed. Mendes will have little or no influence over such a huge decision for Craig. The SP BO will likely be a big factor. If it's good, Craig would have major input on the next director, script and everything else. He's worked with too many other directors to hesitate doing a 5th over a new director. He might want a director he already has worked with and trusts, and he would get them. Who knows. Vaughn, Spielberg etc, all possibilities. If BO is again high, EON and Craig will have huge leverage, and the next studio will have no clout up against EONs wishes.

Craig as the leverage Connery wanted to have when he was Bond. Not saying its a bad thing cause the more power Craig as the longer he will be Bond, but Cubby would have never let any of the actors have so much power on the series.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    "completion."

Craig as the leverage Connery wanted to have when he was Bond. Not saying its a bad thing cause the more power Craig as the longer he will be Bond, but Cubby would have never let any of the actors have so much power on the series.

That is true.

Additionally, such leverage (that Craig has) is only useful if he wants to use it. Ultimately, I don't think he cares a hoot about box office. He seems like an actor who will call it quits when he's had enough of it (and it seems like he came close this time around) or when other/better creative acting opportunities come his way. If not, then he may come back by choice. The contract means nothing.
    "completion."

That is true.

Additionally, such leverage (that Craig has) is only useful if he wants to use it. Ultimately, I don't think he cares a hoot about box office. He seems like an actor who will call it quits when he's had enough of it (and it seems like he came close this time around) or when other/better creative acting opportunities come his way. If not, then he may come back by choice. The contract means nothing.

I agree. I still think he will be back either way.