SPECTRE--last Craig-era film?

Comments

Dont underestimate Babs & MGW. The day may come when they get rid of Craig the same way they did Brosnan. I dont think it will come to that but their not gonna let Craig & Mendes run the show.
    They pretty much already let Craig and Mendes run the show.

I never thought I'd find myself saying it, but I think I'd probably be OK if SPECTRE turned out to be it for the Craig era. I've found myself tiring of the never-ending "this time it's personal" storylines. Not that I have much hope that that will change when Craig's successor makes his debut, but at least there's a chance that it will. Craig's films will continue down that path until he hangs up the tux, whether it be after this current film or after another couple of films.
    From what I understood, Babs had envisioned what kind of film they wanted to make with Skyfall, Mendes was brought on board on good word from Craig.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    With this one, Craig can retire comfortably. And before he gets too old. If he does one more, cool. But like Dalton, he should give it up before he's 50.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 725
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Dont underestimate Babs & MGW. The day may come when they get rid of Craig the same way they did Brosnan. I dont think it will come to that but their not gonna let Craig & Mendes run the show.

Except that is exactly what they did on SF and SP. Craig and Mendes made the films they wanted to make. Wilson was sick, and Babs went along. SF doubled the previous BO and added Oscars and Baftas to EONs haul. If SP does well, they will back a brinks truck up into Craig's driveway and keep the added producing credit for one more. Don't underestimate EONs total focus on the kind of vast additional wealth and gongs Craig has brought Babs and Wilson. If SP doesn't do well, Craig will leave before he is nudged.

Not to mention that they decided to wait a year for Mendes' schedule to free up so they could make another run at hiring him for SPECTRE after he initially turned them down.

While, of course, the producers still have a lot of say over what is happening with the franchise, it's safe to say that the leading creative forces behind Skyfall and most likely with SPECTRE are Mendes and Craig.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Nothing new here, but DC was asked about coming back at the premiere. He was noncommittal but interestingly there is a note in the comments section that Babs said she will do what it takes to get him back. Her exacts words apparently were:

"We're not going to let him go. We're going to figure it out."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/daniel-craig-dont-care-next-bond-183320545.html#tOql8Au
    bondjames wrote: »
    Nothing new here, but DC was asked about coming back at the premiere. He was noncommittal but interestingly there is a note in the comments section that Babs said she will do what it takes to get him back. Her exacts words apparently were:

"We're not going to let him go. We're going to figure it out."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/daniel-craig-dont-care-next-bond-183320545.html#tOql8Au

The answer everyone and their brother was expecting and I have no doubt she will indeed do just that. DC has one more left in him, I think, before he departs. My bet is since Mendes is likely out, DC will have his choice of director and (possibly) screenwriters to lure him back (among other things).

Which is probably not a bad thing. At this point the man knows what he's doing with the character.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Craig looks a bit uncomfortable in that interview. He's not a natural at the interviews, is he? Nope!

If there is any truth in Bond going back to the 1960s (yeah, does seem unlikely!) but you never know, if Eon/MGM have a new retro-vision for the franchise, I can't see Craig coming back.

Yes, I agree. Babs and MG seem nice enough people but I'm sure they're very canny and can be ruthless (in a business sense!). If they felt the franchise would prosper without a fifth Craig film I'm sure they'd drop him without much regret. I'm sure Craig knows that too hence his lack of desire to do a fifth. He knows the franchise will continue without him. Having said that, I do feel Babs likes Craig (as a person) and likes his Bond - "more human, emotional, gritty blah blah blah" but EON may feel the Craig Bond storyline has run its course. A soft reboot with a new actor may happen in 2018. My gut feeling is Craig won't come back. A lot can change in three years. A new actor may appear and have strong potential.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    There's no doubt in my mind that Craig will be back.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Agreed.

I want him back. One more minimum while a sixth with Mendes back to finish out his run would be amazing. It might be too much to ask but in a few months he will be refreshed and ready to go.
  • From the reviews of SP, it seems like DC is more at ease than ever with the role. He's grown into it and, from all reports, seems to be having a blast. I would hate to have him leave when he's gotten so damn good at the role.
  • Spectre felt very much like the end of an era but I would like to see Daniel Craig come back for one more as well as Mendes - I think he should be the one to do Craig's last if he hasn't already ;)

I'd actually like to see SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SPECTRE
    Christoph Waltz and Lea Seydoux return as well
    doubleoego wrote: »

Agreed.

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    The problem, to my mind, with the scenario implied by the title of this thread is this:

If Craig ends it here he his 'reign' will forever be associated with the feeling that he had only just gotten his teeth into it. CR was a grand intro (as good as they come i.m.o), QoS more of a coda to that intro rather than a fully-fledged Bond outing in its own right, and then SF …. well, rather a wet fish in the sense that he wasn’t really given the chance to BE Bond. Not properly, at any rate.

I’m not talking about quality of performance here, more an unquantifiable sense of the lead actor being allowed to get to grips with the cinematic 007 by their 2nd or 3rd film, and building on that if given enough movies of course.

Connery really WAS James Bond by FRWL, Moore was hitting home runs with his eyes closed as of TSWLM and even Tim and Brosnan felt like they had gotten their teeth into the role by their 2nd outings.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I'll agree with this.
    AceHole wrote: »
    The problem, to my mind, with the scenario implied by the title of this thread is this:

If Craig ends it here he his 'reign' will forever be associated with the feeling that he had only just gotten his teeth into it. CR was a grand intro (as good as they come i.m.o), QoS more of a coda to that intro rather than a fully-fledged Bond outing in its own right, and then SF …. well, rather a wet fish in the sense that he wasn’t really given the chance to BE Bond. Not properly, at any rate.

I’m not talking about quality of performance here, more an unquantifiable sense of the lead actor being allowed to get to grips with the cinematic 007 by their 2nd or 3rd film, and building on that if given enough movies of course.

Connery really WAS James Bond by FRWL, Moore was hitting home runs with his eyes closed as of TSWLM and even Tim and Brosnan felt like they had gotten their teeth into the role by their 2nd outings.

This is very true.

Having said that, there is a different way of looking at it ("it's all a matter of persective" as someone said in a recent trailer), and this is if one sees the DC era as an 'inception' of 'formation' era only.

Then someone else takes it on from there.
    Having said that, there is a different way of looking at it ("it's all a matter of persective" as someone said in a recent trailer), and this is if one sees the DC era as an 'inception' of 'formation' era only.

Bit of a bummer to be the guy who grafts hard just to set up his successor to hit the actual home-run...
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Its probably done on purpose, because of how different can a Bond film be? We have had serious, now a bit lighter to go into a series of lighter ones. There ARE only these two ways.

And if he really is as good in this, as everybody says, it will be a hard enough act to follow as it is. Because all the confidence and feeling at home in the role doesn't just come at once. So, the next guy will need his time as well.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think he'll be back for at least one more ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2015 Posts: 8,079
    I am dumbfounded. Why should it take 4-5 films to set up the Bond character?

I think the worst aspect of the Craig era was the decision to make it one big story. I think after quantum the bond origin was finished. He had 'learnt his lesson' of being unemotional and cold about his job rather than making brash decisions on the fly and his ego getting in the way. They should have gone back to making bond films stand alone missions. I personally hate how everything has to connect up, and also how each film it seems there has to be a fresh trauma for Bond to deal with. Killing of characters as a means of emotional manipulation is getting really old at this point. It seems like having a fun, formulaic Bond film with of the trimmings isn't enough anymore. Each new film we need to strip away another layer of Bonds mystery. Did no one think that the mystery of the Bond character was what MADE him so appealing?

It seems like SPECTRE could a step in the right direction for the series, but perhaps too little to late for the Craig era.
    AceHole wrote: »

Bit of a bummer to be the guy who grafts hard just to set up his successor to hit the actual home-run...

True, but if one follows the Nolan analogy from the other thread, then that is exactly what Nolan and Bale did with the Bat, and it stands very nicely as a creative and inspired 'inception' (no pun intended) tale. Now Batfleck takes it forward.

I'm not saying this is what they are going to do.....just that they have given themselves this option, which once again shows Nolan's influence on Mendes (which has been noted) and EON.
    I think in Bond 25, May ( his house keeper) will have to be introduced, and I'm
    Certain she too will have a mysterious past. Which will unfold over three or
    four films . :D
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I think in Bond 25, May ( his house keeper) will have to be introduced, and I'm
    Certain she too will have a mysterious past. Which will unfold over three or
    four films . :D

Very droll :>
    Why not standalone films? To me, it makes sense, since they HAVE to make a difference once in a while. Maybe it sets the plate for standalones for the next few. That will be NEW again then.
    I would hope so. I think we've all learnt enough about Bond's childhood.
    Now is the time for a few " Missions" :)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Why not standalone films? To me, it makes sense, since they HAVE to make a difference once in a while. Maybe it sets the plate for standalones for the next few. That will be NEW again then.

I fully understand and respect what you are saying @Germanlady. Perhaps I shouldn't be complaining about the films, but how long they take to make these days. Once WB get the rights and everything is sorted, I would love to see a return to a 2 year schedule again. That way, if a new Bond film is a stinker, you don't have wait to long for the next one.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I would hope so. I think we've all learnt enough about Bond's childhood.
    Now is the time for a few " Missions" :)

But I tell you now, that there will be lots of people complaining about that. :D

For many, this way of telling the Bond stories is NORMAL now. They are in a somewhat shit position. This story is told and a new start has to be done. I don't envy the prods and can understand, they don't wanna think about it to soon.

Personally, I hope, this will be DC's last, because it will be so difficult to figure out how to go on. And I can stop worrying ;)
    So we'll be getting Bond's awkward late Teenage years, all pimples
    and getting nerve up to talk to girls. :D