SPECTRE--last Craig-era film?

Comments

nikos78 wrote: »
    After following the thread all this time, I just wanted to say that I believe Craig should absolutely stay for at least one more film, and I think he eventually will.

It really depends on Spectre. Assuming neither Craig nor BB really know how to continue after Spectre it is all uncertain.

I'm convinced Spectre will be less flawed than Skyfall and actually has a shot of being the best Bond movie ever, which Skyfall could have easily been without the missteps.
    After the best Bond ever it would be hard to let go of Craig, no matter how old he is.
    But if they continue with him they absolutely have to build his age into the story and not just pretend he is still a young, fresh 00 agent in his prime that has inner angsts.

Totally agree. I just take Spectre's success as a given.
  • RC7RC7
    After following the thread all this time, I just wanted to say that I believe Craig should absolutely stay for at least one more film, and I think he eventually will.

It really depends on Spectre. Assuming neither Craig nor BB really know how to continue after Spectre it is all uncertain.

I'm convinced Spectre will be less flawed than Skyfall and actually has a shot of being the best Bond movie ever, which Skyfall could have easily been without the missteps.
    After the best Bond ever it would be hard to let go of Craig, no matter how old he is.
    But if they continue with him they absolutely have to build his age into the story and not just pretend he is still a young, fresh 00 agent in his prime that has inner angsts.

Waiting on a @smitty smack-down.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I hope Dan will do one more but something interesting which came in to my head. The situation with Spiderman for example. Sony Pictures controlled the rights to the character since 1999 until this year when Marvel (Disney) bought back the rights. Now they are no recasting Andrew Garfield for the next picture. The transfer of studio would mean Garfield having to renegotiate terms, and it is easier and cheaper for Marvel to recast. We face a similar situation with the rights held by Sony due to expire and likely Bond picture rights will either A. Returned to MGM studios now they are again on a sound financial footing or B. Move to Warner Brothers who are said to be very interested. Could we face a situation where the new studio take the decision with it being their first picture in charge decide to go with a fresh new Bond/Director etc in order to ensure they are going to get financial reward for their stakeholders? or throw money at Dan and Mendes in the hope they will make them a huge profit. But come Bond 25 the new studio are in the same position they then need to reboot with a new Bond. From a common sense business mind if your a studio looking long term on a new investment you don't go for the short fix. So unless Sony stump up the cash to keep the Bond rights I don't see them going for the 1 more Dan/Mendes film option. All however may depend on the success on Spectre.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 725
    RC7 wrote: »

Waiting on a @smitty smack-down.

No smack down cause I really, really, really hope you all are right.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I hope Dan will do one more but something interesting which came in to my head. The situation with Spiderman for example. Sony Pictures controlled the rights to the character since 1999 until this year when Marvel (Disney) bought back the rights. Now they are no recasting Andrew Garfield for the next picture. The transfer of studio would mean Garfield having to renegotiate terms, and it is easier and cheaper for Marvel to recast. We face a similar situation with the rights held by Sony due to expire and likely Bond picture rights will either A. Returned to MGM studios now they are again on a sound financial footing or B. Move to Warner Brothers who are said to be very interested. Could we face a situation where the new studio take the decision with it being their first picture in charge decide to go with a fresh new Bond/Director etc in order to ensure they are going to get financial reward for their stakeholders? or throw money at Dan and Mendes in the hope they will make them a huge profit. But come Bond 25 the new studio are in the same position they then need to reboot with a new Bond. From a common sense business mind if your a studio looking long term on a new investment you don't go for the short fix. So unless Sony stump up the cash to keep the Bond rights I don't see them going for the 1 more Dan/Mendes film option. All however may depend on the success on Spectre.

The rights to Spider-Man has'nt been fully bought back by Marvel. Marvel and Sony have a deal where theyre co-owners qhere Spider-Man can appear with any of the charactets owned by Marvel studios and vice versa. The role has already been recast and will be played by Tom Holland who has already filmed his scenes for the new Captain America movie. What's interesting is, Garfield was fired from the role shortly after TASM2 because he allegedly accused Sony and the producers of interfering and ruining TASM2 before the deal Marvel and Sony have together fell into place.
    Here's another reason I want Craig back for a 5th (and 6th for that matter): this new cast of classic characters need some more time together. New M, Moneypenny, Q... it would be a shame if they only had two films together. They need more to establish their relationships. And when a new Bond does come, I really, really hope the three of them stay on board like the series has done in the past. Moore was lucky he had the original M, Q, and MP to help transition him into the role. I always felt Brosnan's entry was a bit jarring because we got a new M and MP at the same time. The only one left was ol' Q doddering around, great as he was.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Here's another reason I want Craig back for a 5th (and 6th for that matter): this new cast of classic characters need some more time together. New M, Moneypenny, Q... it would be a shame if they only had two films together. They need more to establish their relationships. And when a new Bond does come, I really, really hope the three of them stay on board like the series has done in the past. Moore was lucky he had the original M, Q, and MP to help transition him into the role. I always felt Brosnan's entry was a bit jarring because we got a new M and MP at the same time. The only one left was ol' Q doddering around, great as he was.

Those are very good points.
    Not having a MP and Q around in the first two Craig movies was a big mistake and the reboot nonsense was not very well thought out.
    Now we only have a "proper" Bond movie with Craig's third and his fourth is almost a decade after his first. A mess really.
  • RC7RC7

Not having a MP and Q around in the first two Craig movies was a big mistake and the reboot nonsense was not very well thought out.
    Now we only have a "proper" Bond movie with Craig's third and his fourth is almost a decade after his first. A mess really.

So you'd say CR isn't a 'proper' Bond movie?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I personally didn't miss MP & Q in CR. It was refreshing not to go through the same routine with them (it had gotten a little tiresome imho).

Also, I think after the screen time the MI6 characters are reputed to have in SP, we likely will have seen quite a lot of them to accept them with a new Bond, if that is the case, going forward.

So you'd say CR isn't a 'proper' Bond movie?

CR is not a proper Bond movie in sense of having no gun-barrel opening, not having a Q or MP and for some unknown reason a black and white opening.
    Still, it is one of the very best, thanks to Martin Campbell whom we all owe a great deal because I strongly believe he made the movie work on its whole.
    QOS is not even "not a proper" Bond movie, it is no Bond movie at all and bad as well.
    All imho of course.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    I personally didn't miss MP & Q in CR. It was refreshing not to go through the same routine with them (it had gotten a little tiresome imho).

Totally agree. It showed that you can mix things up and yet retain the style and tone that makes it unmistakably Bond.
    CR is not a proper Bond movie in sense of having no gun-barrel opening, not having a Q or MP and for some unknown reason a black and white opening.

I think CR redefined what a Bond movie could be. The B+W opening and gunbarrel have very strong narrative weight behind them, they aren't done simply for style. It's B+W before he becomes a 'technicolour' 00 operative. Had you not realised that? Re. Q and MP, they aren't missed in the slightest.

I think CR redefined what a Bond movie could be. The B+W opening and gunbarrel have very strong narrative weight behind them, they aren't done simply for style. It's B+W before he becomes a 'technicolour' 00 operative. Had you not realised that? Re. Q and MP, they aren't missed in the slightest.

There is no need for re-defining.
    As for the b+w sequence, I never bought that argument, CR does not take place before Dr. No or they should have made it a period piece of the late 50's.
    I agree that Q and MP are not missed in CR. But they should have been in it anyway it could and would have worked as well.
    I was opposed to the reboot thing from the beginning and the way things played out over three movies I'm more than ever convinced they should have handled it very differently.
    The gun-barrel mess over three movies is just bloody awful and a real shame. It may be a minor thing in a 2 hour movie but it is probably the most iconic thing in the franchise and they short of destroyed it.
  • RC7RC7

As for the b+w sequence, I never bought that argument, CR does not take place before Dr. No or they should have made it a period piece of the late 50's.

There's no argument to buy. The B+W to colour transition signifies agent to 00-agent. That's just a fact.

As for re-defining, it's important if you want to evolve. They need to take risks when appropriate and they did if with CR, successfully. I don't think that can be argued really, unless you hate CR, which some people do.

There's no argument to buy. The B+W to colour transition signifies agent to 00-agent. That's just a fact.

As for re-defining, it's important if you want to evolve. They need to take risks when appropriate and they did if with CR, successfully. I don't think that can be argued really, unless you hate CR, which some people do.

Evolving is a good thing. Throwing out iconic signs that defined Bond before is not evolving but abandoning. That's how I see it, but of course I respect your opinion.

I find the b+w PTS stupid, no matter the facts behind it.
    I will write a letter to JJ Abrams and complain why the first sequence of Star Trek 2009 was not in black and white so we could understand that this was meant to show the transition from Cadet to Captain
    :))
  • RC7RC7

Evolving is a good thing. Throwing out iconic signs that defined Bond before is not evolving but abandoning. That's how I see it, but of course I respect your opinion.

I will write a letter to JJ Abrams and complain why the first sequence of Star Trek 2009 was not in black and white so we could understand that this was meant to show the transition from Cadet to Captain

What makes it stupid, though? I can understand if you don't like it visually, but I fail to see how it's stupid.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The B&W opening is pure class, of course Bond needed redefining after the OTT awful CGI mess of DAD.

I have no problem with reboot, some aspects could have been handled differently but I think CR's PTS is one of the best and most individual and Craig intro is the best since Connery's in DN.

I think the B&W choice is going to make it one of the most iconic moments of the series.

What makes it stupid, though? I can understand if you don't like it visually, but I fail to see how it's stupid.

Ok, that was wrong wording, I'm sorry. I should have said wrong instead of stupid.
    It was a creative choice from ? the director or producers, so I respect that. But I don't like it, and I find that PTS the worst of all Bond movies, even the one in Dr. No is better :)) if I'm allowed to make fun about it:)
    I feel CR could have been my favourite Bond movie (No1 instead of No4) with some changes like proper gun-barrel, side-characters, new M and some of the iconic Bond moments that are missing. In a field of near perfect Bond movies (there's 6 imo) such seemingly minor things can make a big difference.

edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    What I liked about the CR sequence is that it was refreshing.

For me it felt like a throwback to one of cinematic Bond's signature moments (the Dent killing in DN) and I found it refreshing because it was gritty (in the toilet, including the best DC gunbarrel to date imho) and done on a shoestring budget (which was also a throwback to the old films......before TSWLM started the craze for bigger and badder pretitle stunts).
  • RC7RC7

Ok, that was wrong wording, I'm sorry. I should have said wrong instead of stupid.
    It was a creative choice from ? the director or producers, so I respect that. But I don't like it, and I find that PTS the worst of all Bond movies, even the one in Dr. No is better :)) if I'm allowed to make fun about it:)
    I feel CR could have been my favourite Bond movie (No1 instead of No4) with some changes like proper gun-barrel, side-characters, new M and some of the iconic Bond moments that are missing. In a field of near perfect Bond movies (there's 6 imo) such seemingly minor things can make a big difference.

I'm a stickler for the gunbarrel myself, but it made sense in CR, as opposed to QoS and SF. I don't think the absence of MP, Q, or a new M is relevant, though, neither do I feel it diminishes the overall product. I fail to see how their inclusion would elevate the movie. OHMSS dispenses with a lot of the action tropes and trims the irony that was starting to permeate the series and, of course, has Bond fall in love. However, it's still a classic imo. The collective canon lurches from grounded to fantastical and everything in between, yet the few stand out movies remain those that don't necessarily incorporate every associated trope. CR is a stand out imo and the definitive film of the Craig era.
    I'm a stickler for the gunbarrel myself, but it made sense in CR, as opposed to QoS and SF. I don't think the absence of MP, Q, or a new M is relevant, though, neither do I feel it diminishes the overall product. I fail to see how their inclusion would elevate the movie. OHMSS dispenses with a lot of the action tropes and trims the irony that was starting to permeate the series and, of course, has Bond fall in love. However, it's still a classic imo. The collective canon lurches from grounded to fantastical and everything in between, yet the few stand out movies remain those that don't necessarily incorporate every associated trope. CR is a stand out imo and the definitive film of the Craig era.

You have a point, if they had included those things in QOS and SF I may not even talk about CR now. But as it is the whole thing bugs me every time I watch CR to SF.

CR is the definite film of the Craig era, of course, you're absolutely right.
    As I said it is my favourite Bond movie after GE TLD and OHMSS and my very few complaints about it can be seen as nitpicking I see that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Moneypenny and Q were absent from Casino Royale, the first novel, so there is the reason for that.

Moneypenny and Q were absent from Casino Royale, the first novel, so there is the reason for that.

I stand corrected. Still, if Cubby had made CR does anyone think he would have abandoned Maxwell and Llewelyn?
    But I get the point, doesn't apply for QOS though!
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883

I stand corrected. Still, if Cubby had made CR does anyone think he would have abandoned Maxwell and Llewelyn?

QoS is a straight continuation of the CR story though. The bookend. So it makes sense here too, and in a way, so does the lack of gunbarrel until the end (since it is arguably after the Vesper story is completed that Bond is Bond so to speak....).

It is only with SF that there is a legitimate argument about the gunbarrel, but then Mendes wanted his opening shot (which is excellent imho.....so I forgive him...it was kind of a reimagined gunbarrel). I personally think he wanted to 'top' the toilet entry in CR in terms of creativity.....sort of compete with Campbell. Hence the DB5 insertion as well. In both cases, it was done better in CR imho.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    According to the highly reliable newspaper source the NI Midweek Sport yes, Spectre will indeed be Daniel Craig's last James Bond film. :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, someone thinks the CR PTS is the worst in the entire series? Talk about controversial!
    bondjames wrote: »

QoS is a straight continuation of the CR story though. The bookend. So it makes sense here too, and in a way, so does the lack of gunbarrel until the end (since it is arguably after the Vesper story is completed that Bond is Bond so to speak....).

It is only with SF that there is a legitimate argument about the gunbarrel, but then Mendes wanted his opening shot (which is excellent imho.....so I forgive him...it was kind of a reimagined gunbarrel). I personally think he wanted to 'top' the toilet entry in CR in terms of creativity.....sort of compete with Campbell. Hence the DB5 insertion as well. In both cases, it was done better in CR imho.

Hey, you are destroying all my arguments :))

QOS wasn't an episode airing one week after CR but there was a two year gap.
    I know it was a sequel (of sorts).

My point is I never liked the reboot thing, it was done inconsequently, old M, actor too old (IMO of course).
    I despise the gun-barrel not being where it belongs.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A two year gap, but it picks up exactly where CR ends.
  • RC7RC7

It was a direct sequel, hence White being in the Aston.

I'm not an imbecile like the new Q :))

Of course I know the PTS is a direct continuation.
    But the main story that follows could very well be a stand-alone movie.
  • RC7RC7

I'm not an imbecile like the new Q :))

Of course I know the PTS is a direct continuation.
    But the main story that follows could very well be a stand-alone movie.

The whole film is punctuated with allusions to Vesper and CR itself, with Mathis and Leiter returning once again. It all builds to Bond finding his 'Quantum of Solace'. Yes, the water plot is unconnected, but that's the point, the emotional thrust of the movie is directly tied to CR. It's undoubtably the only film in the canon, thus far, to function as a true sequel.