Things you never want to see in a Bond film again

Comments

Your comment about DEA agents has reminded me:

No more slow motion.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Bond pretending he's Japanese
    Characters with Lame puns for names (Chew Mee, Hai Fat)
    Comedy sound affects
    Webbed hands
    The Beach Boys
    Anything to do with circuses
    Disco
    Teenage ice skaters
    Quiche
    Comedy Russian accents
    Triple crosses
    America (North, South or Central)
    Anyone from MI6 in the field
    Blond henchmen
    All of TWINE
    All of DAD
    Bond with a beard

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    @DrShatterhand

I take issue with some of your exceptions:

America: agreed on N.America, but Carribean (classic 007) or S.America can feature, no?
    Anyone from MI6 in the field: another '00' agent would be a nice touch, imo
    Blond henchmen: how racist :D
    Quiche: cos, well, I just really like quiche...

edited December 2014 Posts: 805
    AceHole wrote: »
    @DrShatterhand

America: agreed on N.America, but Carribean (classic 007) or S.America can feature, no?

You're quite right on the Caribbean, classic Bond territory. And on reflection, the GF and OP PTSs were both pretty decent and set somewhere in South or Central American. My comments were clouded by my complete dislike for 007 going anywhere near Uncle Sam so I'll amend that to just Anywhere in the USA

edited December 2014 Posts: 1,727
    AceHole wrote: »
    @DrShatterhand

You're quite right on the Caribbean, classic Bond territory. And on reflection, the GF and OP PTSs were both pretty decent and set somewhere in South or Central American. My comments were clouded by my complete dislike for 007 going anywhere near Uncle Sam so I'll amend that to just Anywhere in the USA

Nice of you to review your point vis-à-vis the Americas, but would appreciate it if you also reconsider your stance on the quiche thing... they really can be quite yummy (not to mention nutritionally varied!) :D

Regarding 007 & Uncle Sam I share the dislike there. It just feels 'off', somehow, and 80% of Hollywood's output is set in the USA already anyway.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I think for Americans the US doesn't feel at all exotic or sexy and thus unsuiting for a Bond film.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited December 2014 Posts: 2,138
    Comedy sound affects
    Webbed hands
    The Beach Boys
    Disco
    Teenage ice skaters
    Quiche
    Comedy Russian accents
    Triple crosses
    Blond henchmen
    All of TWINE
    All of DAD
    Bond with a beard

Blond henchmen really, I hope Robert Shaw is in FRWL is not included in that he is one of my favorites "Old Boy". I wouldnt mind what colour of the hair is as long as they can act the part convincingly.
    What about anyone with "kill" in their name?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Sark wrote: »
    I think for Americans the US doesn't feel at all exotic or sexy and thus unsuiting for a Bond film.

Even for non-Americans. I didn't even like Bourne being in New York for Ultimatum....... and New York is my favourite American city!

Same goes for Canada, unless it's somewhere out west...skiing country.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I love Lupe SO MUCH!
    I love Lupe SO MUCH!

Truly cringeworthy as others have said.

Although as some have noted above, perhaps Soto actually meant to deliver the line in this way.....it was not accidental.....in which case she deserves a lot of credit rather than scorn.

I remain to be convinced
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Silly silly British man...

Andrew? ;-)

bondjames wrote: »
    I love Lupe SO MUCH!

Although as some have noted above, perhaps Soto actually meant to deliver the line in this way.....it was not accidental.....in which case she deserves a lot of credit rather than scorn.

I remain to be convinced

No, I really mean it. I love Talisa SO TO!
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    I love Lupe SO MUCH!

I remain to be convinced

No, I really mean it. I love Talisa SO TO!

To quote Brosnan's Bond from GE in response, with a similar level of disbelief & incredulity: "Very talented girl!"

An elephant playing a fruit machine.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I love Lupe SO MUCH!
    =))
    royale65 wrote: »
    Silly silly British man...
    Andrew? ;-)
    Very good!
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Birdleson wrote: »

Except for that one segment in set in Miami in CR, Bond hasn't been in the US since 1989 (never with Brosnan). I think it's time to do a full adventure in New York.

No thanks. Even if NYC wasnt American I feel like it's way too worn out. Just about every other American tv show or movie is set in NYC.

Birdleson wrote: »

Except for that one segment in set in Miami in CR, Bond hasn't been in the US since 1989 (never with Brosnan). I think it's time to do a full adventure in New York.

No thanks. Even if NYC wasnt American I feel like it's way too worn out. Just about every other American tv show or movie is set in NYC.
    Would all be a bit too Die Hard with a vengeance. Not a fqn of North America when used in the films historically. The are big cities. When you watch bond you want jaw dropping scenary rather than city blocks and shops.
    I somehow get a feeling a lot of Brits wouldn't be too happy with the sight of Bond posing alongside the Statue of Liberty - as American as you can get.
    I love NYC despite being born and bread and living in Scotland me and my wife travelled to NYC to get married. It is the most amazing city, however 1. it costs a fortune to shut down streets in US cities for filiming, a lot of production companies are now using cities like Glasgow to replicate Philideplphia and using CGI to fill in the blank (World War Z) as a cheaper option. 2. You have lighting issues due to the surrounding buildings. 3. He was in NYC in LALD already the CIA take care of there own matters. Whenever he has appeared on US soil Felix or the CIA has always made it clear he is to leave matters to the CIA (DAF, LTK) which restrains Bond from being Bond. 4. As someone already said before New York is the most filmed city in the world when it comes to TV and film, we wont see anything new. Although stunning and it would make and amazing stunt on top of it it would unappropriate to use the new Number1 WTC building apart from that I can't see the draw to Bond in New York.
    I love NYC despite being born and bread and living in Scotland me and my wife travelled to NYC to get married. It is the most amazing city, however 1. it costs a fortune to shut down streets in US cities for filiming, a lot of production companies are now using cities like Glasgow to replicate Philideplphia and using CGI to fill in the blank (World War Z) as a cheaper option. 2. You have lighting issues due to the surrounding buildings. 3. He was in NYC in LALD already the CIA take care of there own matters. Whenever he has appeared on US soil Felix or the CIA has always made it clear he is to leave matters to the CIA (DAF, LTK) which restrains Bond from being Bond. 4. As someone already said before New York is the most filmed city in the world when it comes to TV and film, we wont see anything new. Although stunning and it would make and amazing stunt on top of it it would unappropriate to use the new Number1 WTC building apart from that I can't see the draw to Bond in New York.

Good points. Agree especially that NY is the most movie-exposed city in the world. Show us smth in future Bondfilms that we haven't seen (often) on screen yet...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    - Blue collar Bond
    - Melodrama
    - Tennyson or the like
    - Aston Martin DB5
    - Moneypenny in the field
    - The gunbarrel anywhere other than at the start
    Bill Tanner. The most boring and useless movie character in cinema history. I realize that it is not impossible to make him interesting but I think they should just completely forget this character ever existed...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Bill Tanner. The most boring and useless movie character in cinema history. I realize that it is not impossible to make him interesting but I think they should just completely forget this character ever existed...

Tanner was ok when he was played by Michael Kitchen, who is a very likeable and talented actor (brilliant in Foyle's War). But yes in QOS and SF he feels very bland and would not be sad if he never comes back again.
  • RC7RC7

Tanner was ok when he was played by Michael Kitchen, who is a very likeable and talented actor (brilliant in Foyle's War). But yes in QOS and SF he feels very bland and would not be sad if he never comes back again.

Kitchen in GE is fantastic.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think Kinnear is perfect. He plays it that way almost deliberately because he has to be the almost faceless, bland face of MI6. The opposite of Bond in many ways.

He has a nervous edge to him, like he's waiting for Bond or M to kick off. I like him.

As an actor Michael Kitchen is good, but his acting never seems to stretch beyond the same bunch of mannerisms and expressions that we see in the Bonds. For that, he tends to irritate me.
    Tanner is
    NicNac wrote: »
    I think Kinnear is perfect. He plays it that way almost deliberately because he has to be the almost faceless, bland face of MI6. The opposite of Bond in many ways.

He has a nervous edge to him, like he's waiting for Bond or M to kick off. I like him.

As an actor Michael Kitchen is good, but his acting never seems to stretch beyond the same bunch of mannerisms and expressions that we see in the Bonds. For that, he tends to irritate me.

Kitchen was good because he was about operational strategy, Kinnears Tanner was like Dame Jude's P.A. going forward they need to let his charachter be more confidence and stature.
    Robocop.
  • 1-Marc Forster directing
    2-Any reference or hommage to former Bond fims. Seen that in OHMSS, DAD, Skyfall to name a few...Enough is enough. A Bond film must stand on it's own.
    3-Marc Forster directing
    4-Marc Forster direction
    5-Marc Forster directing.

I agree, although I wouldn't mind small skyfall references.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 805
    Comedy sound affects
    Webbed hands
    The Beach Boys
    Disco
    Teenage ice skaters
    Quiche
    Comedy Russian accents
    Triple crosses
    Blond henchmen
    All of TWINE
    All of DAD
    Bond with a beard

Blond henchmen really, I hope Robert Shaw is in FRWL is not included in that he is one of my favorites "Old Boy". I wouldnt mind what colour of the hair is as long as they can act the part convincingly.

Of course not, old man, Captain Nash was most agreeable, his penchant for windsor knots and red wine with fish aside 8-|