SPECTRE Leaks Discussion (allowed on ONLY this thread) MAJOR PLOTLINE SPOILERS!

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It might be real but it makes Blofeld's plan way too convenient to monitor Bond with it. Why would Bond even have it if he's a spy trying to stay hidden from enemies? It sounds so silly.
    Murdock wrote: »
    @PanchitoPistoles
    What's the point in giving Bond a last mission when he's going to return in the next movie or be recast again? Unless EON plans on ending the Bond franchise, I see no good reason why they would have the character retire only to come out of it the following movie.
    The point of giving Bond a last mission is exactly the same as giving him a first mission. And if I really had to guess what they want to do for the next one, I see 3 options:

1. Craig will be back after all. Maybe they have rewritten he ending of Spectre and Bond doesn't retire. Or he does retire but they will think of a reason for him to come out of retirement in the next film.
    2. They will set the next era in the past to make it very different from every Bond film ever made before.
    3. They won't make Bond 25 for a loooong time.
  • Speculation (and I'm not saying I believe this, but it has been a recurring theme in this thread):
    It will emerge that the Craig films -- four, or however many the number ends up being -- will be a separate Bond continuity, the same way Christopher Nolan's three Batman movies have nothing to do with the four from 1989 to 1997 or any that follow starting with Batman v. Superman.
    [/spoiler}
    Speculation (and I'm not saying I believe this, but it has been a recurring theme in this thread):
    It will emerge that the Craig films -- four, or however many the number ends up being -- will be a separate Bond continuity, the same way Christopher Nolan's three Batman movies have nothing to do with the four from 1989 to 1997 or any that follow starting with Batman v. Superman.
    [/spoiler}
    It has already emerged that the Craig films are a separate Bond continuity. By the way, every time they cast a new actor to play Bond they start a new continuity to some degree. I REALLY doubt Dalton's Bond was ever shooting laser guns in space before the events of TLD...
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 2,115
    Speculation (and I'm not saying I believe this, but it has been a recurring theme in this thread):
    [/spoiler}
    It has already emerged that the Craig films are a separate Bond continuity. By the way, every time they cast a new actor to play Bond they start a new continuity to some degree. I REALLY doubt Dalton's Bond was ever shooting laser guns in space before the events of TLD...

But Dalton's Bond had, at least, a tenuous relationship to Tracy (Leiter's comment about how Bond was "married once, but it was a long time ago.")

The start of the Craig films was a "hard" reboot. But, until now, there have been no signs that any post-Craig films would have nothing to do with the Craig films. To put another way, the Ben Affleck Batman will have *nothing* to do with the Christian Bale/Christopher Nolan Batman. The same may be true of Bond actor 7 vs. Craig.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @PanchitoPistoles
    What's the point in giving Bond a last mission when he's going to return in the next movie or be recast again? Unless EON plans on ending the Bond franchise, I see no good reason why they would have the character retire only to come out of it the following movie.
    The point of giving Bond a last mission is exactly the same as giving him a first mission. And if I really had to guess what they want to do for the next one, I see 3 options:

1. Craig will be back after all. Maybe they have rewritten he ending of Spectre and Bond doesn't retire. Or he does retire but they will think of a reason for him to come out of retirement in the next film.
    2. They will set the next era in the past to make it very different from every Bond film ever made before.
    3. They won't make Bond 25 for a loooong time.

Your first option is the obvious and only one worth considering. Hell will freeze over first before the other two.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Many a movie has ended where the protagonist says 'I'm out of here' At the end of Dirty Harry, Harry takes off his badge and throws it into a body of water. In next movie, Magnum Force he was still on the job. the scenario where

" he does retire but they will think of a reason for him to come out of retirement in the next film.'

seems like a likely solution
  • I'm kind of hoping that maybe Swann realises that MI6 need Bond and she's the one who advices Bond to return (if he does leave at the end of the film)
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Re: the end of the film and the future:
    Even not considering the story of Spectre, Bond was already getting old for the job during the events of Skyfall, him staying a 00 agents for two more movies would be somewhat weird.
  • Would have been great if old favourites like Rosa Klebb and other members of SPECTRE/SMERSH reincarnated and came back.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Would have been great if old favourites like Rosa Klebb and other members of SPECTRE/SMERSH reincarnated and came back.

I'd rather not. This is why I was against SPECTRE and Blofeld returning. Reboot or not. Previous characters who were used to great effect shouldn't be brought back. It's like remaking Goldfinger even though it was a good movie to some. I didn't like it personally but I don't wish to see it redone. Or any other Bond movie to that.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I actually think SPECTRE could be the best Bond film ever for a few reasons.

Firstly like @Panchito said, it seems like the next GE. And I love GE. I think it's the best Bond of the last 20 years and the third best overall. SP seems similar to GE because it combines classic, old school Bond (gadgets, big secret bases, etc), with great writing and characterisation (not just for Bond but also for other characters such as M). Bond felt real and fleshed out in GE and it seems like he will be in SP too. SF did this too, but it was much more smug and pretentious than GE and the action was nowhere near as good as anything in GE. From the looks of things, SPECTRE is going to fix that.

Secondly it's bringing back a lot of stuff I've wanted back for years now. The gunbarrel at the start, an old school memorable henchman, a brand new car with gadgets, Blofeld and SPECTRE returning, a big villain base, etc. I can't wait.

I also really like the finale aspect. I do think this will be Craig's last (based on the ending more than anything else) and I love how it ties into all the other Craig films. It seems like a big epic finale ala TDKR and I like that.

There are one or two things I'm worried about but overall I think this film is shaping up to be something really special.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 2,015
    It might be real but it makes Blofeld's plan way too convenient to monitor Bond with it. Why would Bond even have it if he's a spy trying to stay hidden from enemies? It sounds so silly.

Well, the theme from SPECTRE is quite "in your face" : it's basically that
    we live in a world where everybody is monitored. It's all about surveillance cameras, etc..

This theme is hammered in SPECTRE even more than the "old ways are the best" theme is hammered in Skyfall.

• DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    I've only read the shooting schedule so know nothing about dialogue but to me the ending reads as this
    It'll end up being a modern retelling of OHMSS in that Bond will walk away, content to start a new life. Remember, this was the original ending for OHMSS before Lazenby deciding to take a walk. The death of Tracy was intended for the start of the next movie with then Bond going off on a revenge mission. I think EON are taking up the chance to finally do this right with SPECTRE and Bond 25. So I reckon Madeline will either die or be snatched at the beginning of Bond 25.

Or EON may even pull a 'Marvel' and add a post credit 'sting' to SPECTRE with Madeline getting it then with the final image being the octopus shaped bullet hole through the windscreen as in the teaser poster
    I've only read the shooting schedule so know nothing about dialogue but to me the ending reads as this
    It'll end up being a modern retelling of OHMSS in that Bond will walk away, content to start a new life. Remember, this was the original ending for OHMSS before Lazenby deciding to take a walk. The death of Tracy was intended for the start of the next movie with then Bond going off on a revenge mission. I think EON are taking up the chance to finally do this right with SPECTRE and Bond 25. So I reckon Madeline will either die or be snatched at the beginning of Bond 25.

Or EON may even pull a 'Marvel' and add a post credit 'sting' to SPECTRE with Madeline getting it then with the final image being the octopus shaped bullet hole through the windscreen as in the teaser poster

I was thinking about this too.
    The fact that OHMSS never had the sequel it deserved but the series shouldn't cover the same ground twice means that this is the best way to tell that story (the pursuit of Blofeld in DAF with too much light banter between Bond and Blofeld means it never felt like a true sequel). There are some great elements in the YOLT book of bond being demoted from a 00 due to suffering from depression and stress and being sent on a diplomatic mission instead that leads to him finding Blofeld in Japan.

There is also the mention at the start of the FRWL book that Tiffany Case from DAF left him as they couldn't adapt to domestic life and Bond is bored and looking forward to a new mission.

Regarding the cars in Spectre
    I wish the DB5 had been left blown up! Its been done to death now. It would have been perhaps better to use the DBS from OHMSS....

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    december-16-2014-the-hackers-who-hacked-into-sony-have-leaked-the-upcoming-script-for-the-new-james-bond-movie-sony-executives-said-the-news-left-them-shaken-but-not-stirred.jpg
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    What do you think about the scenes in Morocco at the control centre? Do you think that's some kind of underground compound or a tent HQ for Oberhausser?
    I do hope Bond get's in love the way he did with Vesper, I hope it will be romantic, as you know probably he wasn't married when he was acting with Vesper and now he is, let's hope the scenes will give some more romance the scenes from QoS and from SF.
  • aaron819 wrote: »
    What do you think about the scenes in Morocco at the control centre? Do you think that's some kind of underground compound or a tent HQ for Oberhausser?

Well it's one of the huge change from the early scripts :
    In the early scripts, it was a full YOLT-like lair, but then they had to cut many things because of budget. Now it can really anything they'll decide to do. Anyhow, this movie should feature a lot of models and VFX...
    Re: the end of the film and the future:
    Even not considering the story of Spectre, Bond was already getting old for the job during the events of Skyfall, him staying a 00 agents for two more movies would be somewhat weird.

SPECTRE could take place 6 months after the events of SF, much like FRWL was after the events of Dr.No. Besides, there doesn't have to be a conspicuous emphasis on the time period between movies.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 187

Firstly like @Panchito said, it seems like the next GE. And I love GE. I think it's the best Bond of the last 20 years and the third best overall. SP seems similar to GE because it combines classic, old school Bond (gadgets, big secret bases, etc), with great writing and characterisation (not just for Bond but also for other characters such as M). Bond felt real and fleshed out in GE and it seems like he will be in SP too. SF did this too, but it was much more smug and pretentious than GE and the action was nowhere near as good as anything in GE. From the looks of things, SPECTRE is going to fix that.

Secondly it's bringing back a lot of stuff I've wanted back for years now. The gunbarrel at the start, an old school memorable henchman, a brand new car with gadgets, Blofeld and SPECTRE returning, a big villain base, etc. I can't wait.

I also really like the finale aspect. I do think this will be Craig's last (based on the ending more than anything else) and I love how it ties into all the other Craig films. It seems like a big epic finale ala TDKR and I like that.

There are one or two things I'm worried about but overall I think this film is shaping up to be something really special.

Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

Been going through this thread for a few days now and finally thought up how to perfectly sum up my thoughts on this disaster of epic proportions.

I would really like to get my hands on this to read for myself so if anyone could point me in the right direction via PM, that'd be great. Otherwise, here we go;

So, from my understanding, the ending is slightly ambiguous and comes down to a guessing game as I've read some having the impression
    Bond goes on holiday and that all that is done to harm the characters (MI6, 00 Section, M, MP, Q being fired or let go, ect.) is all corrected by films end or its left in shambles and Bond quits.

Firstly, I'd like to say that ending seems like a complete slap in the face. After two films pandering to everyone about how "We're almost there, Bond is still beginning, almost....almost.....ALMOST...." and then finally the big celebratory ending of SF only to have it all completely stripped away by next films end and rebooted yet again potentially, completely ludicrous.

Now, as some have mentioned, I fully expect this ending to not be a big red bow on the Craig films but instead an open-ended question mark that could potentially make way for yet another sequel. In all honestly, let's face it. These leaks hurt Sony, they hurt them bad. Not only did it hurt Sony, it now potentially hurt EON because they were involved and all the bad press this script got, older draft or not. If this film is even slightly as big a success as SF, there will be a speedy sequel, no doubt about it. They will want to recover what revenue was lost. They are after all at the end of the day, a business and after SF, Bond is one of their biggest moneymakers.

There are also other points to be considered. Yet another Sony property suffering is Spider-Man, mainly because they pumped out too many films in too short of time and tried to have it too many ways. EON and Sony have now spent the better part of a decade re-establishing and re-booting James Bond for the masses, so if this really is the end for the Craig era and all loose ends are tied for him to never return, what are they going to do? Risk diminishing returns like with Spider-Man and reboot YET again? They successfully rebooted the character once, do they really think they could pull it off yet again, so soon? I think not, Sony learned their lesson HARD with that one. Even the Fantastic Four reboot is suffering. It's due out soon as there still has yet to be a production still or even a trailer because they are simply too scared of fan backlash. You can't re-boot a franchise and start from scratch all over again so soon anymore, it just doesn't work and it turns filmgoers off.

Times have changed, ultimately. The masses have become savvy to re-boots and I honestly do not think they would be as forgiving as our Bond fanbase would be, even though some of us I'm sure would not take too kindly to it either. Another thing to point out is that if the series was to be successfully rebooted again, it would be best to wait at least the latter half of a decade to be safe after all these disastrous reboots and their box office flops and honestly (as much as I hate to admit it) we really don't know how much more time Mike Wilson has left with us so I highly doubt they would want to just sit around and wait that long. They have never been able to successfully do that for more than 4 years without their hands being tied due to other circumstances like the lawsuits.

In the end, from what I've read (and I'd like to read the entire thing out of curiosity though I have been unsuccessful in finding it) it sounds like a great mixture of new era Bond and classic era Bond and changes were definitely made for the better. I have utter faith in this film that it can be one of the greats but do I think this is the end as we know it? No way in hell.
    Dramatic post is dramatic.
    Will the plane and car chase be on the ski slope?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 11,139
    km16 wrote: »

Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

Been going through this thread for a few days now and finally thought up how to perfectly sum up my thoughts on this disaster of epic proportions.

I would really like to get my hands on this to read for myself so if anyone could point me in the right direction via PM, that'd be great. Otherwise, here we go;

So, from my understanding, the ending is slightly ambiguous and comes down to a guessing game as I've read some having the impression
    Bond goes on holiday and that all that is done to harm the characters (MI6, 00 Section, M, MP, Q being fired or let go, ect.) is all corrected by films end or its left in shambles and Bond quits.

Firstly, I'd like to say that ending seems like a complete slap in the face. After two films pandering to everyone about how "We're almost there, Bond is still beginning, almost....almost.....ALMOST...." and then finally the big celebratory ending of SF only to have it all completely stripped away by next films end and rebooted yet again potentially, completely ludicrous.

Now, as some have mentioned, I fully expect this ending to not be a big red bow on the Craig films but instead an open-ended question mark that could potentially make way for yet another sequel. In all honestly, let's face it. These leaks hurt Sony, they hurt them bad. Not only did it hurt Sony, it now potentially hurt EON because they were involved and all the bad press this script got, older draft or not. If this film is even slightly as big a success as SF, there will be a speedy sequel, no doubt about it. They will want to recover what revenue was lost. They are after all at the end of the day, a business and after SF, Bond is one of their biggest moneymakers.

There are also other points to be considered. Yet another Sony property suffering is Spider-Man, mainly because they pumped out too many films in too short of time and tried to have it too many ways. EON and Sony have now spent the better part of a decade re-establishing and re-booting James Bond for the masses, so if this really is the end for the Craig era and all loose ends are tied for him to never return, what are they going to do? Risk diminishing returns like with Spider-Man and reboot YET again? They successfully rebooted the character once, do they really think they could pull it off yet again, so soon? I think not, Sony learned their lesson HARD with that one. Even the Fantastic Four reboot is suffering. It's due out soon as there still has yet to be a production still or even a trailer because they are simply too scared of fan backlash. You can't re-boot a franchise and start from scratch all over again so soon anymore, it just doesn't work and it turns filmgoers off.

Times have changed, ultimately. The masses have become savvy to re-boots and I honestly do not think they would be as forgiving as our Bond fanbase would be, even though some of us I'm sure would not take too kindly to it either. Another thing to point out is that if the series was to be successfully rebooted again, it would be best to wait at least the latter half of a decade to be safe after all these disastrous reboots and their box office flops and honestly (as much as I hate to admit it) we really don't know how much more time Mike Wilson has left with us so I highly doubt they would want to just sit around and wait that long. They have never been able to successfully do that for more than 4 years without their hands being tied due to other circumstances like the lawsuits.

In the end, from what I've read (and I'd like to read the entire thing out of curiosity though I have been unsuccessful in finding it) it sounds like a great mixture of new era Bond and classic era Bond and changes were definitely made for the better. I have utter faith in this film that it can be one of the greats but do I think this is the end as we know it? No way in hell.

Welcome and well said . You make many strong points to which I agree with most of everything you said. Personally, I feel Bond as a brand is so strong that it could probably survive a reboot if one were to come so soon; Bond imo has offered the supreme best of cinema and also offered the absolute worst but the series has been able to survive because it's the daddy of cinematic institutions; that being said the series I hope are smart enough to not go too far with 'out there ideas' because sometimes there can be enough rope to hang one's self with.

Sony are in a terrible position right now and the landscape of movies, appeal and money to be made is that of increasing importance and opportunity. People don't have to like it but facts are facts; with new cinematic markets being opened up blockbuster movies can't simply be holding the US domestic BO in the same regard 10/15 years ago. Without China, SF wouldn't have crossed the billion dollar mark and had the movie been better, had SF had the sort of action SPECTRE proposes, SF would have made a lot more money over there and that's just China. I don't think we have anything to worry about with SPECTRE, on paper (based on updated/latest revisions of the script it's going to massacre the competition and the BO. It would be utter foolishness to delay the next instalment; SPECTRE will be a financial juggernaut, Craig's popularity is ever increasing, the talent involved is second to none and also getting better not to mention the films in their own right is the proverbial golden cash cow. If Mendes isn't returning for Bond 25 that's fine, the producers based on what happened with SF need to sort that out and put things in place so there isn't another delay I'm having to wait for anyone. Also, Mendes and Craig aren't a package deal, Craig will and should be here with or without Mendes and on that note, it shouldn't be a surprise if Nolan is the next director and directs Danny boy as opposed to casting someone new. These are things I'm not saying will or should happen but it shouldn't be a surprise if they do.
    Does anyone have any thoughts about the Rome scenes, do you think the action car chase will be any good with Mr. Hinx
    Do you think that the lair in Morocco will be somewhere isolated in the dessert or somewhere more central to the city
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,622
    leas_mole wrote: »
    French director Christopher Gans has had the pleasure of directing both Monica Bellucci (Brotherhood of the Wolf) and Léa Seydoux (Beauty and the Beast). He says that they are opposites like fire and ice. That both are sex symbols and are real actresses. Praise indeed :) Question is: who is fire and who is ice? :P

Google translated article and original French article
    let me quote from the above piece.

.... working with different forms of beauty allows filmmakers to qualify their remarks and I think that's what the producers are looking for Bond.
    To have shot with the two actresses, I can say that they are real soldiers. On a plate, they do not remain in a corner waiting for face painting called. They come with ideas. That's the surprise. Leah came up with a design Ugly was not completely mine, but both are complete. I was fascinated by what she gave me on the screen. As a conversation between my vision and what it brought. » "

I would say Monica brings the fire, and Lea the ice.
    I take this not only from the Premiere piece above and Gans' comments, but also from what we know from the shooting outline.
    Lea may be the ice as we find her initially in the cold Alps of Austria, while Bellucci we first meet in the wamer hot climes of Italy.
    Lea is blonde and potentially more ice queenish. Bellucci has always been smoldering Mediterranen hot beauty.
    Although I must admit, it's not terribly clear what Gans means by fire and ice
    But what is very encouraging from Gans, is that both actresses come with ideas. Potential here for two very charming and memorable characters. The beauty is a given with these two.

The idea of future Bond re-boots I think is a red herring.
    One, there is no need for a re-boot under any circumstances.
    If Craig leaves, you come back with a new actor. I would cast young and simply relaunch Bond on mission. Because of the Craig reboot, this Bond would continue in the new continuity, but that's no biggie.
    Via the magic of cinema, and also via fiction novels, where timeless characters need not age, Bond is suddenly younger looking, in his prime, and on mission.
    Because of the new continuity, there will be no oblique references to Tracy, or events from the original timeline.
    The original timeline "re-booted" 5 times with OHMSS DAF LALD TLD and GE, without missing a beat. But none of these actor-transition films were actually re-boots. Bond just continued forward in time. This is perfectly normal for fiction cinema.

If Craig returns, which I am certain he will, and probably for two films, there are a couple of scenarios I think.
    1. @panchito explained, and others agree is the most likely scenario, the writers contrive his return to Mi6. Basically all he does at end of SP it seems, is toss gun in river and go off with Madeleine.
    If Madeleine was beckoning, we might all do the same thing too, and worry about rejoining Mi6 later, if ever.
    But within this return scenario for B25, he has parted with Madeleine for whatever reason. Things didn't quite work out, as his dedication to duty ultimately triumphed etc etc.
    They had a nice interlude and Bond's life goes on. Very Fleming. For Bond, breaking up is par for the course.

2. Alternatively within the same Bond-Madeleine exit scenario, we get an OHMSS ending development in B25, whereby Blofeld manages to later gun down the new love of Bond's life, Madeleine (foreshadowed by the image of the OHMSS Spectre logo shattered glass) and Bond goes off on a revenge mission, echoing Flemings YOLT, but minus the Japanese setting and Kissy and Tanaka etc as thats already been done.
    Likely Blofeld manifests as Shatterhand. The Garden of Death and Castle are incorporated. Irma Bunt is somehow incorporated, even if it appears she has been dropped from the final version of the SP script.
    @suive may know better about the fate of Bunt in SP. He seems to have the best handle on SP plot details.

Personally I like option #1. Kiss off Madeleine, which is the norm for any lead Bond girl, who doesn't get killed; exceptions being Fleming's Tracy and Vesper.
    Even if Bond does seem very taken by Madeleine, its nothing new.
    ie what happened to Kara post TLD? Dalts seemed to have a schoolboy crush, but poof, she vanished.
    In this scenario, Bond returns to Mi6, and off on new mission, hopefully minus any personal journey issues.
    Old-dog issues don't matter. He was rejuvenated by end of SF. His actual age can remain indeterminate as it always has been, but for Connery's NSNA, where Bond's age was in fact spelled out as actual 00 retirement age, presumbly Connery's actual age, which was 52 during shooting.

What worries me about me about scenario #2 is that the potential for melodrama is immense. I've had enough, thanks.
    Bond being Bond on mission is what I find most appealing ie Bond being unflappable blunt instrument foil, for the turmoil and drama that might surround him. That is the essence of Bond, as captured by both Fleming and the early films, which were all made within a few short years of their literary Fleming source material. (DN-OHMSS)

• edited December 2014 Posts: 2,015
    timmer wrote: »
    @suive may know better about
    the fate of Bunt in SP
    . He seems to have the best handle on SP plot details.

Easy to answer : in the early scripts,
    Irma dies in the finale, the big action scene in the crumbling building, which continues with Bond chasing Blofeld... and killing him. In the two available scripts, he kills him in two different manners : by a shot to the head, or by strangling him. There is a Logan Skyfallesque dialog in each case : Blofeld last words to Bond are "Brother". Remember the fans laughing at the Silva/Bond brother theory, in the early scripts, it was "in your face" in SPECTRE :)
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    aaron819 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any thoughts about the Rome scenes, do you think the action car chase will be any good with Mr. Hinx
    The Rome Scenes will be very important.
    There is, first, a scene in which Bond infiltrates a SPECTRE (although at this time we still dont know its SPECTRE) meeting - this will be important in terms of the plot consolidation,
    It is also the trigger for a huge action sequence that may become the movies best. The car race between Aston Martin DB 10 and the new Jaguar, with a Fiat500 cameo in the middle, promises to be quite a spectacle. And expect a very iconic gadget from the past to reappear here!

• Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    aaron819 wrote: »
    Do you think that the lair in Morocco will be somewhere isolated in the dessert or somewhere more central to the city
    there will be a scene in a hotel in tangier but the main events occur in the middle of the desert (the train scene and the villains lair)