SPECTRE Leaks Discussion (allowed on ONLY this thread) MAJOR PLOTLINE SPOILERS!

Comments

• Well it's kind of a hoot, so enjoy!
  • Well, just saw Spectre, and now I came to finally jump into this thread to read the various different script drafts...only they're not here as far as I can tell. I can see a lot of references to 3 different versions.

Can anyone give me a pointer on where to find them or alternately just PM them to me if you have them, lol
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Well, just saw Spectre, and now I came to finally jump into this thread to read the various different script drafts...only they're not here as far as I can tell. I can see a lot of references to 3 different versions.

Can anyone give me a pointer on where to find them or alternately just PM them to me if you have them, lol

Check the Sony dumpsters.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,151
    Wrong thread - please delete. Thanks
  • Ok, so I've finally got around to reading the scripts for the film and I thought I'd share some general thoughts: It may not be surprising to hear but both the scripts I've read (October and December drafts) are practically identical in tone and feel. They of course vary, especially their third acts, but the general lighter and more flamboyant tone is sustained in both drafts. Surprisingly both are very brief on the Oberhauser/Bond relationship with Mendes's main focus seemingly being on creating a much more "mischievous" and witty outing.

The big issue with the October draft comes after Bond and Madeline go to see Oberhauser. The solar furnace scene is distractingly bad and feels like something a shoddy continuation author would dream up. Furthermore, Q's kidnap is too quickly picked up on before being dropped almost immediately. The final film was correct to cut these scenes as they really don't work and feel tonally at odds with the film.

The final act is pretty weak and flimsy as well in the October draft. The addition of Irma has no dramatic impact and the final party where C unveils the Nine Eyes programme feels too obvious and groanworthy. To be perfectly honest, the final half of the script is poorly written and not particularly interesting. There is no sense of menace or achievement at the denouement. Furthermore, Bond shooting Blofeld while he pitifully says: "you're my little brother!" is a little passe and cringe-inducing. You also can't help but feel that Blofeld's death is also totally unearned in the draft. The decision to keep him alive is a welcome addition (beyond the obvious implication that he can return) as it plays into the final film's thematic notion that a "licence to kill is also a licence not to kill". Field agents have to make judgement calls in the moment, which is something a drone or satellite can never do.

The December draft streamlines a lot of these problems from October and really tackles those third act woes. Firstly, you find the writers fixing the solar furnace idea by adding the brilliant card game scene. I'm pretty gutted that they didn't include this scene in the final film; the torture segment we are left with feels pretty tacked on and unimpressive in comparison.

Furthermore, the general consensus seems to be that Waltz is a little wasted in the finale film and I think the speech about the "cuckoo" playing cards with his father would have further developed the Oberhauser grudge and given Waltz a moment to shine.(I know there was a leaked piece of concept art of this scene). The only issue is that Bond's father's watch isn't an idea embedded in the film earlier, this could easily have been fixed by Bond opening the Skyfall box at the beginning and finding an old watch in it and maybe an acorn that he won from Oberhauser back in his youth.

The third act also works a lot better in the final film, however, the film improves upon it by making it Mallory who confronts C whilst Bond heads into the broken and desolate MI6 HQ to confront Blofeld.

There are a few other little things I thought were both mentioning:

- The idea that Blofeld is after a single file and photo is a bit unimpressive. Could a single file really have destroyed one of the biggest and most secretive criminal groups ever? I don't think so. I'm glad this was cut.

- I love the idea of "Les Spectre De St.Pierre" and the photo of White and Blofeld back in the day. It would have been so cool to see that and a neat little touch. It could have been a nice throwaway thing as well. Maybe Bond could have found it in White's L'American hideout? It would have proven absolute catnip for fans wanting to get a little further insight into the Spectre's origin. This feels like a slight wasted opportunity.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I have to disagree with the torture scene. The Poker game that was in the December draft felt impeccably pointless to me. It was just there for the sake of a gambling card game scene, which didn't work at all. The third act, apart from killing Blofeld, was written better in the October draft. So, all in all, we are given the torture scene in the film, which I loved. That was the kind of vulnerability I would have wanted to see from Bond. All in all, the scene was executed perfectly. Even though the film could have been a lot better hadn't it been for the cut-offs, I still hold it as the best Bond film in the last 15 years.
  • I really didn't like the torture scene. I preferred the poker scene, obviously they needed to change some of that poker scene but I think it could have looked like a beautiful scene and worked perfectly.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yep, Logan was left to his own devices for a considerable amount of time and he came up with the garbage of M and Tanner being traitors. Ralph gated the idea and wasn't having any of it and this is what led to Baz Bamigboye's article of the script being in shambles. Purvis and Wade were called back in to try and fix the mess Logan made.

I have a sneaking suspicion Logan was giving Mendes what he wanted. BOTH Logan and Mendes wanted more time for the script but were finally told in March 2014 to submit it, according to Sony emails in the Sony hacking.

That would of been a disaster if they had made 'M' a traitor.............sort of reminds me of the anger people felt on the first 'Mission Impossible' film when they made 'Jim Phelps' as a villian.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    mepal1 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yep, Logan was left to his own devices for a considerable amount of time and he came up with the garbage of M and Tanner being traitors. Ralph gated the idea and wasn't having any of it and this is what led to Baz Bamigboye's article of the script being in shambles. Purvis and Wade were called back in to try and fix the mess Logan made.

I have a sneaking suspicion Logan was giving Mendes what he wanted. BOTH Logan and Mendes wanted more time for the script but were finally told in March 2014 to submit it, according to Sony emails in the Sony hacking.

That would of been a disaster if they had made 'M' a traitor.............sort of reminds me of the anger people felt on the first 'Mission Impossible' film when they made 'Jim Phelps' as a villian.

Agreed. They didn't need another big M reveal so soon after the events of SF.
    You people need more selfcontrol :D

Reading this now it is really interesting how the script developed. I liked some things in the leaked scrip that should have been in the movie (Q being taken, "Stockman"-Bond dialogue at dinning table, M being really mad at the start at Bond....some interesting stuff...and ITT i read something about Tanner killing himself ? Crap, I might have liked to see that..it would have been nice twist)
  • Where is everyone finding these script(s)...?!

What am I doing wrong here, I went on the Sony section of wikileaks, searched for Spectre, and got 34 results, none of which shed any light on...anything. I can't find half the things being talked about in this thread like plot breakdowns or changes being made to the script.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 850
    Where is everyone finding these script(s)...?!

What am I doing wrong here, I went on the Sony section of wikileaks, searched for Spectre, and got 34 results, none of which shed any light on...anything. I can't find half the things being talked about in this thread like plot breakdowns or changes being made to the script.

Wait, it's come soon...
    Where is everyone finding these script(s)...?!

I did the same thing...no idea.
  • Soooo...still can't find any trace of the script(s). Anyone want to PM me just so I'll stop posting about it? :-*
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Soooo...still can't find any trace of the script(s). Anyone want to PM me just so I'll stop posting about it? :-*

It is November 14th. The film is out now. Go watch it.
    Soooo...still can't find any trace of the script(s). Anyone want to PM me just so I'll stop posting about it? :-*

Precisely. I don't deny that this sort of thing isn't interesting but we were never meant to see these leaked scripts.
    @Cowley - yes, it was Icebreaker. That book has about ten reversals. I think there might even be a quadruple agent, lol.

:)) I'm glad I'm not the only one!
    When I first read that novel, way back, I thought yes there does seem to a hyper amount of double and triple dealing going on here.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 157
    Could someone please PM me the same material, or others scripts from the Bond universe? I'm writing an essay about narrative structure, James Bond and Umberto Eco. I'd like very much to read the Spectre scripts and compare then so I can make a paper about this subject.
  • Cowley wrote: »

Precisely. I don't deny that this sort of thing isn't interesting but we were never meant to see these leaked scripts.

Yeah, well Sony was meant to have competent security. But here we are.

I see several usernames on this very page who have previously posted in this thread about reading drafts. Guess nobody wants to share!
  • could someone please point me in the direction of where i can find the opening tracking shot? I saw the film again last night with a friend and we literally missed the first 5 minutes and I really want to show him that great opening shot! Thanks!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 850

I can't give you the docs, but i can give you a link witch summary theses (you will need google translate) :

- http://www.commander007.net/2015/11/spectre-script-17-octobre-partie-1/
    - http://www.commander007.net/2015/11/spectre-script-17-octobre-partie-2/

The next part come tommorow apparently...

• EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    you will not find it in Sony leaks searching with SPECTRE cause it wasn't yet named by the time .. it was called Bond 24 then
  • you will not find it in Sony leaks searching with SPECTRE cause it wasn't yet named by the time .. it was called Bond 24 then

Yeah I know. I've searched for Spectre, Bond, script, screenplay, draft, etc. There's an email that has a script pdf attached but nothing happens when I click on it.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Birdleson wrote: »
    This is the first time I've looked at this thread. I can't believe how many of you guys knew basically the entire film over a year ago.

:) Yes we've been debating this film for almost a year now. They did manage to sneak in some changes from the Dec draft, but luckily as the film opened in Europe two weeks before we got it here in Canada, I was able to catch up with the changes posted on the other spoiler threads here, so when I went to see it opening day, I had most of the changes figured out in advance.
    I like to think some our bellyaching regarding the Dec draft, prompted some changes.
    I am not crazy about the way the Blofeld lair visit went down, but I think what they had originally was worse ie the card game and a different reveal.
    No gun in the river either. He still tosses it but no splash.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2015 Posts: 12,459
    So somebody please answer, because although others seem to be asking I am not seeing a clear answer. Are the actual leaked scripts available online anywhere? Coming hear to read them, see what was discussed for nearly a year, and I want to read the leaked parts now. If we never had the actual scripts here ... are there quotes from the actual scripts? I mean, how can people discuss them without reading them. If I need to go to another link, let me know. Are they available? If so, where? Thanks.
    timmer wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    This is the first time I've looked at this thread. I can't believe how many of you guys knew basically the entire film over a year ago.

:) Yes we've been debating this film for almost a year now. They did manage to sneak in some changes from the Dec draft, but luckily as the film opened in Europe two weeks before we got it here in Canada, I was able to catch up with the changes posted on the other spoiler threads here, so when I went to see it opening day, I had most of the changes figured out in advance.
    I like to think some our bellyaching regarding the Dec draft, prompted some changes.
    I am not crazy about the way the Blofeld lair visit went down, but I think what they had originally was worse ie the card game and a different reveal.
    No gun in the river either. He still tosses it but no splash.

What was the different reveal?
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,622
    @echo Bond engaged some sort of cardgame with Ernst that harkened back to their boyhood history. Lots of dialogue.
    Bond actually informs Blofled that his real name was Blofeld and that he was adopted by Oberhauser, which doesn't please Ernst.
    I am glad this was ditched. I think Blofeld rejecting the Oberhauser name in favour of his mommy's name works better. In this context he's been ESB for well over 20 years.

What I hate though is the whole torture scenario, although the Dec draft card game and associated dialogue I think was just as bad.

Tension filled dinner scene is what I would have prefered, with the EST reveal just like its done in the finished film ie Blofeld tells Bond what his new name has been for the last 20 years.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Yeah, but face it, it would have been endlessly compared to the one in DN, and that cannot be topped (or even equaled).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I haven't read the leaked script, but were there any details of the original Scandinavian Bond-girl role before being scrapped following the P+W rewrite?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    As far as I know, only three scripts were leaked, two of which I've come to read, and one I encountered the synopsis of (the earliest one, that is). None of them had that Scandinavian Bond Girl. But, nevertheless, I believe she was Madeleine Swann with a different nationality.