Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• RC7RC7
    suavejmf wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

MJ touched kids, doesn't mean he was any less talented.
    mmmmm NO, he didn't

Not my point, is it?
    Wrong assumption makes all the sentence meaningless.

MJ might be perceived as a Kiddy fiddler by many, doesn't mean he is. Same way Noel may be perceived as a chav by some, doesn't mean he is.

But NG's behaviour 'means' he is a chav. MJ was innnocent.

Case in point.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2670412/Liam-Noel-Gallagher-accused-trying-bribe-Qantas-flight-attendant-1-000-smoke-dope-board-according-new-tell-book.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/in-the-news--liam-gallagher-bad-boy-cant-stop-looking-back-in-anger-1148670.html

I really don't need to have this discussion. If you think he's a chav, cool.
    Does that make Paul McCartney a chav? He's been arrested for arson and multiple times for drug related offences - I wouldn't class him as a chav though...
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Bryan ferry would have been good around 1973.

There's a certain snipy snobbishness masquerading as musical knowledge here.

Noel Gallagher has written some of the most important songs of the last 20 years. I don't think he's right for Bond but to say he's suitable for The only way is Essex shows a gaping hole in your understanding of modern culture. He's as far removed from that media whore personality you assume as Bryan ferry.

Just because I tried to be nice by suggesting an alternative role for Noel - after he was misguidedly suggested for the Bond title song - you go and accuse me of having 'a gaping hole in my understanding of modern culture'. Even worse, you accuse Mr.Ferry of personality defects!
    I am quite sure Noel would be very happy serenading 'Geordie Shore' if he doesn't want to do 'The Only Way Is Essex' and may I humbly suggest that a little more decorum wouldn't go amiss @Matt007.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited March 2015 Posts: 2,138

Previously, Noel Gallagher claimed that an unreleased song he’d written called 'Freaky Teeth’ would be perfect for the film series. In 2008, he said of the track: "I listened back to it thinking, 'That’d make a f*cking great Bond theme. It’s a bit of a p*ss-take that the greatest British agent of all time has to be soundtracked by a bunch of Americans."

The last Bond theme – for the 2008 film Quantum Of Solace - was a duet recorded by singer Alicia Keys and The White Stripes' Jack White.

Full article here http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/60488
    @Villiers53 I think you misunderstand me. I don't accuse Bryan Ferry of personality defects at all. Although his comments about the Nazis were probably ill-advised at best. He's an elder stateman of British Music. As is Noel Gallagher. But if we're tarring people by their family members (Noel / Liam) then we could always bring up Bryan Ferry Oafish son, Otis.

Anyway, this isnt really what the thread is about. Sorry if you were being nice, it came across as patronising and snobby - my mistake. Lets move on.

It's gonna be Sam Smith, surely?
    "I listened back to it thinking, 'That’d make a f*cking great Bond theme. It’s a bit of a p*ss-take that the greatest British agent of all time has to be soundtracked by a bunch of Americans."
    Class use of the Queens English, imagine Adelle talking about Skyfall like that.
    "Sing at the Oscars? Yeah, f*cking great!"
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,552
    Daniel Craig isn't above the dropping the occasional F word. Adele swore at the Brit awards,
    patb wrote: »
    Class use of the Queens English, imagine Adelle talking about Skyfall like that.

(Warning: A lot of swearing involved)
  • RC7RC7

Gotta say, you didn't really think that one through. She swears like a trooper.
    "I listened back to it thinking, 'That’d make a f*cking great Bond theme. It’s a bit of a p*ss-take that the greatest British agent of all time has to be soundtracked by a bunch of Americans."

I was going to shoot you down, but JCRendle and RC7 beat me too it, Adele may have a "classy" voice but thats about the only classy thing about her she is a foul mouthed cockney from Tottenham.

Great point about Otis Ferry! Matt007
    I'd like to hear Annie Lennox do the Bond song. She has the pipes and, when inclined, can put some edge into a song.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    writer5150 wrote: »
    I'd like to hear Annie Lennox do the Bond song. She has the pipes and, when inclined, can put some edge into a song.

Annie Lennox? May be in 1987, not today!

Always amusing seeing these old has beens being thrown into the mix.

Any one for George Michael? Pet Shop Boys?
    @Getafix I agree. Sounds more like the line up for the Queens jubilee shindig.
    Getafix wrote: »

Frankly I don't thing age has anything to do with it.
    Good music is good music and Lennox has a fabulous voice as does George Michael and both could do justice to a Bond song.
    That said, apart from the eminently tasteful suggestion of Mr.Ferry, by far and away the best suggestion to grace this column is the delectable Caro Emerald.
    The great advantage of Caro is not only has she the pipes for the job, she looks fabulous and given the number of times we will be obliged to watch the successful candidate perform the song, this is important!
    A name always come up Muse. Think they would do a cracking theme. Another more modern is Royal Blood.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

Frankly I don't thing age has anything to do with it.
    Good music is good music and Lennox has a fabulous voice as does George Michael and both could do justice to a Bond song.
    That said, apart from the eminently tasteful suggestion of Mr.Ferry, by far and away the best suggestion to grace this column is the delectable Caro Emerald.
    The great advantage of Caro is not only has she the pipes for the job, she looks fabulous and given the number of times we will be obliged to watch the successful candidate perform the song, this is important!

Nothing against Annie Lennox, or G Michael. it's just 'why now?' It would have made sense in the 80s, but these two are best known for feminist campaigning and community service orders these days. Surely even the most die hard fan of 80s pop appreciates that the title song is a marketing opportunity and way to reach out to a wider Audience - hence Adele in 2012.

It's just a bit weird when people start throwing in names that haven't had a hit for decades and are barely registering for their music any more. Famous for once having been famous, rather than being at the top if their game today.
  • Agreed. The theme will be done by people who are relevent right now. If I had to bet I'd say it'll probably be Sam Smith or Adele again.
    It's going to be Sam Smith if they have any sense. Even Adele seems a bit old hat right now.

I'm happy that EON are finally turning to talented British contemporary artists for the title songs. We endured a decade of dross when Brosnan was in the title role.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 2,138
    I think it's FKA Twigs singing an Adele written track. However was told Florence Welch.
    Florence would also be interesting, but a bit 2012 as well.
  • I think Sia would also be a pretty good choice. She'd never really crossed my mind before, but she is very much "in" right now and has the pipes and songwriting ability to pull it off. She also said last summer that she'd love to do a Bond theme.

Adele again please or Dame Shirley for a real retro feel
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Adele again please or Dame Shirley for a real retro feel

Good call.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    May I also say that Madonna should never return as she has produced the worst theme thus far.
    I think not having Dame Shirley back during the Brosnan era was surprising - she would have suited the greatest hits template during that era.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    May I also say that Madonna should never return as she has produced the worst theme thus far.

Yes, I'll agree with that.

Yes, I'll agree with that.

Not only do I second that I third and fourth it as well!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Can every member agree? :D
    Not sure I agree. I don't like it but not sure it's the worst either. Don't like TND or TWINE much.