Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• edited January 2015 Posts: 591
    Seinabo Sey?

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    ChristianToday.com reports Sam Smith. I don't believe it. I'll believe it when I see it here.
    ChristianToday.com reports Sam Smith. I don't believe it. I'll believe it when I see it here.
    Is this a new report?

Looking at the date now, I think Google gave me an old article from December 31. Guess I should always look.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Seinabo Sey?

Love that song. If Sam Smith were to do the theme, I could imagine something like this.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,399
    Bruno Mars.... because why not?.... it would almost assure EON a 2nd straight #1 downloaded iTunes song, and another charting smash hit..... if Duran Duran, A-Ha, and Chris Cornell could pull off a Bond theme, i would think Bruno Mars could do it as well if given the opportunity - and especially if he did something upbeat in this fashion..

I'd love to see Noel Gallagher get the gig for a Bond song. He is a brilliant songwriter, and now he has ditched Liam and Oasis, the yob laddish image is now longer attached to him.

Also, he is the closest we probably have to the next Paul McCartney, so to get a song in the same vein as LALD would be perfect.

Freaky Teeth is the closest he has come to a Bond type song, and I think he would jump at the chance to do it -
    edited January 2015 Posts: 3,675
    Adele?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/adele-licence-thrill-james-bond-5020516

A source at MGM, which made the film, says: “Everyone thinks Adele is here for her much anticipated new album, but she is actually working on a music idea for the James Bond film.
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    Pssst, here's Sam Smith's super secret James Bond theme. He even learned some Austrian for that:
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 163
    Assuming someone wrote a great theme song for Spectre, where could he send it for the people at EON, MGM or Sony to hear it ?
    Assuming someone wrote a great theme song for Spectre, where could he send it for the people at EON, MGM or Sony to hear it ?

Assuming they even received it, they wouldn't listen to it at all - They do not look at unsolicited material, because it would open them up to claims that, if they didn't use it, ideas were taken and used without credit and a chance that they would be sued.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    The names mentioned I have heard before, there was a rumour Adele was writting the song for FKA Twigs to sing, but word going round in the music circles is that it Florence and the Machine who wil be peforming the title track.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I vote for a Michael Buble 'crooner' in the style of FRWL or TB.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 4,599
    There seem to be so many references to an old style Bond that I find it hard to believe they would go for a group. Buble would be a very safe bet, someone who can really belt it out in the Jones/Bassey fasion plus all the signs are that this is a big film (big locations, big bad guys, big plot etc )so it makes sense to have a big song from a big voice). I thought perhaps P Faith but she did not impress at the Brits. If it goes well, you want someone who can walk on the stage at the Oscars and nail it live and there are not many artists who can do that these days: Perhaps it will be Adele again? If he wastnt in such a bad state (by all reports) G Michael could have done a good job?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    All good points......
    Also, you need someone who can sing with a big orchestra, such a shame GM has "gone off the rails" massive talent IMHO, he is the butt of many jokes at the moment but we will miss him when he's gone.
  • RC7RC7
    patb wrote: »
    such a shame GM has "gone off the rails" massive talent IMHO

Agreed, his voice at it's peak was incredible. Buble isn't even close to this kind of talent. He's just someone who releases records at Christmas to make people feel warm and fuzzy.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I have this concert of his on blu ray. Bloody brilliant. One of the greats imho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_London_(George_Michael_video)
    Yes, Buble's voice is great from a technical point of view and he markets his "brand" very well but he simply does not have the depth, feel and sensitivity of George when he was fighting fit. I would dearly love some kind of dramatic comeback but I fear for him. I dont think he is a "happy camper" at the moment.
    patb wrote: »
    There seem to be so many references to an old style Bond that I find it hard to believe they would go for a group. Buble would be a very safe bet, someone who can really belt it out in the Jones/Bassey fasion plus all the signs are that this is a big film (big locations, big bad guys, big plot etc )so it makes sense to have a big song from a big voice). I thought perhaps P Faith but she did not impress at the Brits. If it goes well, you want someone who can walk on the stage at the Oscars and nail it live and there are not many artists who can do that these days: Perhaps it will be Adele again? If he wastnt in such a bad state (by all reports) G Michael could have done a good job?
    What Group PatB? the one I mentioned. Its not really a group but a lead singer with a band consiting of a harp and celtic drums, cello and violin. The sound they produce will make an awsome theme. Search Florence and the machine "What Kind of Man" for an example of the sound.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    From a commercial standpoint they have to go with a big name. Having said that, I firmly believe that it will be a man this time. Solo artist. Don't ask me why, but I've felt for some time that SP is going to be very TB-like, as Craig's turn seems to be following Connery's in many ways.

So bigger and better and with a male soloist following Adele this time a'la Tom Jones following Bassey.

Therefore, I believe it will be Sam Smith even though I don't want him, just because he has buzz and has recently won the grammy's.

That's my bet. Call me on it when we finally find out.
    If you go down the route of a big solo male star, we are not exactly spoilt for choice. SS lacks gravitas IMHO, not exactly M Munroe is he? I think the issue is that SPECTRE is slightly turning the clock back (cant wait) but pop has moved on and that style of vocal performance is not big anymore. How about Adam Lambert for a left field guess?
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    I know it may have just been a rumour started by that loony tunes Martin Aston a while ago, but I really can't get the idea of David Bowie out of my head. He would just be so right for a darker edged theme song.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I know it may have just been a rumour started by that loony tunes Martin Aston a while ago, but I really can't get the idea of David Bowie out of my head. He would just be so right for a darker edged theme song.

I agree a Bowie Theme would be incredible, I could see him and Visconti doing a great job with that title and delivering something epic and quite dark but with a slightly rocky edge, or maybe something in the vein of Life on Mars or Ashes To Ashes.

It's likely wishful thinking but if this was indeed true and it wasn't some youngster like Sam Smith, Lana Del ray or whoever they touting these days, I wouldn't have a fit if Adele got the job again but would hope they'd try someone else before she returns.

Her SF theme was perfect against the titles and did it's job more then suitably but outside of the film it's not up there with the greats and doesn't really work independently and come across that memorable. Let the Thin White Duke work his magic on this, that would be so great!

Although I will say like many, a theme that includes input from Newman so he can weave it in and out of the film like we haven't seen since CR would be ideal whoever gets the job.
  • Iggy Pop - its about time he had a go and his cover of We Have All the Time in the World
    is as good as the original in fact i think i prefer it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Iggy Pop - its about time he had a go and his cover of We Have All the Time in the World
    is as good as the original in fact i think i prefer it.

Iggy's version is good but you'll never touch Barry's original with the Armstrong vocal, my Wife and I chose the song to play at our Wedding.

Admitted Pop's vocal has a world weariness of man who been through the mill that suits Arnold's interpretation but for me that will never get near one of Armstrong's final ever vocals.

I guess it's opinion but Barry on top of his game and that poignant vocal no chance!
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Rick Astley:

His voice is pure James Bond in coolness! He'd be my number one choice. He's my all time favourite singer too. Rick Astley for SPECTRE!

:)
    I feel like I've been Rickrolled ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No to Rick Astley. Yes to Iggy Pop.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Rick Astley:

His voice is pure James Bond in coolness! He'd be my number one choice. He's my all time favourite singer too. Rick Astley for SPECTRE!

:)

Lol no way.

Check out Noel Gallagher new track The Ballad Of The Mighty I'. It already sounds like a bond theme.