Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Can someone confirm if there's some truth in this news item?
    Spectre theme song artist to be revealed on Monday August 10th
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379713/board/thread/246935921
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 3,164
    ....that's what we've been talking about for the last page or so
    antovolk wrote: »
    ....that's what we've been talking about for the last page or so

Oe, sorry hehehehe. I'm actually not following this topic a lot :-P.
    Timely article from the Telegraph on the Bond song formula.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/james-bond-spectre/007-theme-song-composers
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    God I hate Chris Evans, the guy is a complete tool!

If he knows the singer you can bet it isn't Radiohead, I seriously can't imagine Thom Yorke giving that self promoting idiot the time of day.

Looks like Smith or Goulding, if it's anyone better at least I'll be pleasantly surprised. All the this left field talk is misdirection, I can't see them gambling such a big factor on a risk especially after the global smash Adele's Skyfall was.

I'm hoping the Monkeys still, RH rumour was just that and that bet was probably someone with more money than sense and just wanted to wind up the likes me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A duet between Sam Smith and Ellie Goulding? People of good taste would hang themselves for less than that.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Can't imagine Radiohead doing the theme. They haven't had a hit in donkey's years!

200px-Donkey_from_Shrek.jpg

If Eon are struggling to find the right artist, just stick this track over the opening titles!

Problem solved. ;)
    That was fun. Or this Norwegian band:

Better than a-ha.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    God I hate Chris Evans, the guy is a complete tool!

If he knows the singer you can bet it isn't Radiohead, I seriously can't imagine Thom Yorke giving that self promoting idiot the time of day.

Looks like Smith or Goulding, if it's anyone better at least I'll be pleasantly surprised. All the this left field talk is misdirection, I can't see them gambling such a big factor on a risk especially after the global smash Adele's Skyfall was.

I'm hoping the Monkeys still, RH rumour was just that and that bet was probably someone with more money than sense and just wanted to wind up the likes me.

Exactly why I groaned when I read this Evans announcement. Who else but a twit like Smith would give a twit like Evans a heads up a week early. We can only hope it is more of Smiths little redirection games. My last weak hope is that EON would not allow the artist to start blabbing earlier than their announcement next week. It's EON's job to announce it. But then Smith is a twit so whatever. If it's him we'll have the miserable experience of watching him swanning around in the press, babbling about SP, and promoting himself as part of the SP team. He's just the worst possible choice. I gotta get beyond this. My huge problem with a choice like this is it makes me think EON's judgement truly sucks.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Does suck if went with Smith. I'm 99% sure they did and 100% positive I hope they didn't.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    It's time for an elimination game because there is so much talk about those artists that may be doing the Bond theme :))

Rules: -2 +1 as usual.

Ellie Goulding 10
    Sam Smith 10
    Radiohead 10
    Ed Sheeran 10
    Lana Del Rey 10
    Please someone else 10
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Does suck if went with Smith. I'm 99% sure they did and 100% positive I hope they didn't.

Sad, sad, sad. I think you are right.

I love The Smiths. Except for Sam.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited August 2015 Posts: 3,157
    Ellie Goulding 10
    Sam Smith 8 -2
    Radiohead 10
    Ed Sheeran 10
    Lana Del Rey 10
    Please someone else 11 +1
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Ellie Goulding 10
    Sam Smith 8
    Radiohead 8 (-2)
    Ed Sheeran 10
    Lana Del Rey 11 (+1)
    Please someone else 11
    VANGELIS +1
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Ellie Goulding 11 +1
    Sam Smith 6 (-2)
    Radiohead 8
    Ed Sheeran 10
    Lana Del Rey 11
    Please someone else 11
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 591
    Ellie Goulding 11
    Sam Smith 6
    Radiohead 8
    Ed Sheeran 8 (-2)
    Lana Del Rey 11
    Please someone else 12 (+1)
    Radiohead or someone else gets my vote.
    VANGELIS +1

With or without Jon Anderson?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I love The Smiths. Except for Sam.

lol
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Have to say I don't fully get the Sam Smith hate. It would be a savvy commercial choice and artistically it really all comes down to the song. As someone else said previously, the song is actually more important than the performing artist.

My biggest concern is that whereas Adele worked with a talented composer/producer in Paul Epworth, there doesn't seem to be any system in place from EON to ensure that a) the song is appropriately filmic and not just a standard pop ballad, and worse still that b) there is little or no indication that Thomas Newman is collaborating on the song.

It's actually b) that worries me most because without the film score composer involved it doesn't matter how good the title song is because as with Skyfall, it will barely feature in the score.

A Bond title song that is not incorporated into the score is almost worthless, even if the song itself is quite good. Although Adele's song was pretty decent IMO, because it wasn't incorporated in the score, it does not actually pervAde the movie. It was a criminal waste actually and one for which Mr Newman seems to bear much of the responsibility.

So frankly, I don't care too much about the artist, as long as they can actually song. I'm more interested in the song itself and whether or not it's incorporated into the score.
  • Ellie Goulding 9 (-2)
    Sam Smith 6
    Radiohead 8
    Ed Sheeran 8
    Lana Del Rey 11
    Please someone else 13 (+1)

• RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »
    Have to say I don't fully get the Sam Smith hate.

Me neither. If it was Justin Bieber, or One Direction etc, I'd get it. The guy is clearly not to everyone's taste, but it could be much, much worse.
    Have to say I don't fully get the Sam Smith hate. It would be a savvy commercial choice and artistically it really all comes down to the song. As someone else said previously, the song is actually more important than the performing artist.
    To be fair, when I learned Sheena Easton would do the title song for FYEO, I cringed. Then the song came out, and I loved it.
    To be fair, when I learned Sheena Easton would do the title song for FYEO, I cringed. Then the song came out, and I loved it.

A perfect example of what I'm talking about. Fairly naff artist, but decent song, and competently worked into the score by Conti.
    The speculation should have ended right after the news broke that someone tried to put a £15,000 bet on Radiohead. It's RADIOHEAD. Game over. Deal with it.
    Don't say I didn't tell you.

The first Strictly Come Dancing 2015 celebrity will be revealed on Monday on Chris Evans show
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s104/strictly-come-dancing/news/a662008/the-first-strictly-come-dancing-2015-celebrity-will-be-revealed-on-monday.html#ixzz3i3vsnBlk

I've had a rethink on Smith, yeah he's a kinda uninspired choice, but boy, what a voice. He has all the qualities that many of the best Bond singers have. He's grand, operatic and theatrical, plus he can really belt out a ballad. I can imagine a haunting ballad incorporating the word Spectre into a song by him. Check out his acoustic performance here, it's good:

Risico007 wrote: »
    VANGELIS +1

With or without Jon Anderson?

The songs with Jon Anderson were great, but Vangelis should do an instrumental for Bond.
    Well, it's all opinion and taste. I really, really don't like Sam Smith's voice. A type of voice and style that just irritates me. I do agree with those who say there are worse options. Of course there are. And the good song is important, whoever sings it.

But it's all still just speculation, so...