Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    How Hardy would appear as bond

tumblr_nx57yuSET31rk0adco1_1280.gif

He's too 'squat'. Otherwise he'd be great, I concur.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    AceHole wrote: »

This guy makes Daniel Craig look fey in comparison
    bondjames wrote: »

Well, quite. Dan has a roughness about him, physically, but he still projects a certain agile elegance. For me Hardy is just too rough & tumble, and dare I say it - also a little too short.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

Well, quite. Dan has a roughness about him, physically, but he still projects a certain agile elegance. For me Hardy is just too rough & tumble, and dare I say it - also a little too short.

What too Street? =))
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,727

What too Street? =))

Hard(l)y now.
    Too 'street' would be having Dappy from 'N-Dubz' play 007. Tom Hardy is just even further on the 'squat & compact' scale than DC...
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Strictly from a woman (well this woman anyway) point of view, those lips alone are a big NO! Like I said before, he doesn't have IT. My money is on Charlie Hunam. But maybe he is too close to DC in looks.
    Right now, I believe, he will do another, so we are talking 2021/22 maybe. That is 8 to 9 years from now.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Strictly from a woman (well this woman anyway) point of view, those lips alone are a big NO! Like I said before, he doesn't have IT. My money is on Charlie Hunam. But maybe he is too close to DC in looks.
    Right now, I believe, he will do another, so we are talking 2021/22 maybe. That is 8 to 9 years from now.

Another isn't the only thing Germanlady would like DC to 'do', methinks...

Its always easy to give silly answers to me. Easy but rather stupid. How about either give a normal answer or nne at all. Not too difficult, me thinks.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

German lady, question - Imagine it is 2005 and we are discussing who will be the next Bond. And someone posts

Daniel Craig
    1rsxau.jpg

Would you have been like mmmmm he has it? be honest.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 6,601
    deleted

German lady, question - Imagine it is 2005 and we are discussing who will be the next Bond. And someone posts

Daniel Craig
    1rsxau.jpg

Would you have been like mmmmm he has it? be honest.

Good Sir, Hardy is old enough to have grown into his looks, so there is no hidden secret about what to expect. In your pic, DC is 26...so, he still had time to get it, if he didn't already, but Hardy has it now or never and IMO, he hasn't. There are others out there, better suited. He is a good, chameleon like actor though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

And those thin dry lips, huh?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    [I just think there is a reason that people keep on mentioning Elba and that's because when they picture him in the role there is something that just seems right about it - regardless of skin colour.
    I don't want a black Bond either, but I have to agree with this. Elba screams Bond and that's why it's being brought up over and over again. He is the best man for the job.

The pressure is on EON to find a suitable 'white' successor to Craig, to finally dispense with these rumours.

I don't see how anyone who speaks in a cockney accent is "the best man for the job". Yeah, I know, he could do an accent for Bond. But why hire someone who has to change the way they speak when there are plenty of candidates who would naturally sound right for it.

Anyway, straight from the horse's mouth...

http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/14/idris-elba-james-bond/?adid=external_site_spinmedia

Hilarious. You can accept actors who either had or concealed Scottish, Australian, Irish and Northern English accents, but because Elba's normal voice is London working class that discounts him?!

The hoops people will jump through to avoid saying "I don't want him because he's black".

Can I ask would you have a black Sherlock Holmes with a Cockney accent?

Totally. But Holmes is slightly different from Bond in that he's been played around with a lot more already. And there's no copyright or protection of the source material so you can do what you want.

For all it's deep rooted racism, the U.S. is much further ahead on the curve than the UK when it comes to roles for non white actors - there's a lot more creativity and openness to having non white faces in familiar and new roles.

The UK is in a bit a time warp in this respect.

Ultimately for me it's all about the quality of the end product. Would I prefer Henry Cavill or Idris Elba as Bond? For me it's simple - Elba is the better actor and better suited to the part in every respect apart from skin colour. I'd much rather have to adjust to the idea of black Bond than have to endure a decade of feeble acting just because we have to have a white guy in the lead role.

To prefer a bad white actor over a good black actor, just because you can't get your head around a much loved character having a different race is pretty sad IMO.

As I said above, Elba is not just getting the 'wouldn't it be cool if Bond was black' vote. People can genuinely see him doing a good job in the role. His CV is classic for Bond - lots of TV, with some low budget movies. That's the place most Bonds have come from in the past.

Any way, it ain't gonna happen.

Honestly you don't have a clue. The UK is time warped on race. You won't find a KKK In the UK. Your perception of the UK and race prejudice is deeply flawed. There are hundreds of leading UK black men and women in film and TV.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls002238225/

We may not produce as many films as the US but nothing else.

Elba is too old for the next Bond. He is so far detached from the creation he is not a Bond actor IMO nothing to do with race give me Chiwetel Umeadi Ejiofor over Elba anyday. I would put Elba in the Gerard Butler bracket.

Well, quite a lot of non white British actors would disagree with you, and while you're entitled to your views, I suggest you might want to do a little more reading around the subject.

All I'd say is that I'm British and I think that in many respects the UK can be reasonably proud in terms of its record on race. But in terms of providing equal opportunities in the arts and acting (particualrly TV and film) on a comparable scale to the U.S., we still have some way to go.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/28/roles-uk-black-minority-ethnic-actors-worse-than-ever-claims-david-oyelowo

And Ejiofor over Elba for Bond? Seriously?

Oscar nominated Ejiofor is a far better actor than Elba, Ejiofor is a trained Shakespearee Theatre actor and has worked with Spike Lee, Ridley Scott and Steven Spielberg a whole world above Elba.

Elba is a former DJ and was a supporting TV actor that nobody had really heard of prior to Luther, which only grew in popularity as it grew a cult following over a few years, he is not a blockbuster leading man, he is a good TV actor who is good in supporting movie roles. He is currently voicing Shere Khan in the Jungle Book remake, I think that tell you he's found his level. He's the black Vinny Jones.

Well, he was pretty damn good in the Wire. But take your point. And a background in TV is where many Bond actors have come from - Rog, Tim, Pierce, Dan. It's how most British actors get their breaks.

Ejiofor may be the more overall gifted actor, but that doesnt automatically make him better Bond material.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    [I just think there is a reason that people keep on mentioning Elba and that's because when they picture him in the role there is something that just seems right about it - regardless of skin colour.
    I don't want a black Bond either, but I have to agree with this. Elba screams Bond and that's why it's being brought up over and over again. He is the best man for the job.

The pressure is on EON to find a suitable 'white' successor to Craig, to finally dispense with these rumours.

I don't see how anyone who speaks in a cockney accent is "the best man for the job". Yeah, I know, he could do an accent for Bond. But why hire someone who has to change the way they speak when there are plenty of candidates who would naturally sound right for it.

Anyway, straight from the horse's mouth...

http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/14/idris-elba-james-bond/?adid=external_site_spinmedia

Hilarious. You can accept actors who either had or concealed Scottish, Australian, Irish and Northern English accents, but because Elba's normal voice is London working class that discounts him?!

The hoops people will jump through to avoid saying "I don't want him because he's black".

Can I ask would you have a black Sherlock Holmes with a Cockney accent?

Totally. But Holmes is slightly different from Bond in that he's been played around with a lot more already. And there's no copyright or protection of the source material so you can do what you want.

For all it's deep rooted racism, the U.S. is much further ahead on the curve than the UK when it comes to roles for non white actors - there's a lot more creativity and openness to having non white faces in familiar and new roles.

The UK is in a bit a time warp in this respect.

Ultimately for me it's all about the quality of the end product. Would I prefer Henry Cavill or Idris Elba as Bond? For me it's simple - Elba is the better actor and better suited to the part in every respect apart from skin colour. I'd much rather have to adjust to the idea of black Bond than have to endure a decade of feeble acting just because we have to have a white guy in the lead role.

To prefer a bad white actor over a good black actor, just because you can't get your head around a much loved character having a different race is pretty sad IMO.

As I said above, Elba is not just getting the 'wouldn't it be cool if Bond was black' vote. People can genuinely see him doing a good job in the role. His CV is classic for Bond - lots of TV, with some low budget movies. That's the place most Bonds have come from in the past.

Any way, it ain't gonna happen.

Honestly you don't have a clue. The UK is time warped on race. You won't find a KKK In the UK. Your perception of the UK and race prejudice is deeply flawed. There are hundreds of leading UK black men and women in film and TV.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls002238225/

We may not produce as many films as the US but nothing else.

Elba is too old for the next Bond. He is so far detached from the creation he is not a Bond actor IMO nothing to do with race give me Chiwetel Umeadi Ejiofor over Elba anyday. I would put Elba in the Gerard Butler bracket.

Well, quite a lot of non white British actors would disagree with you, and while you're entitled to your views, I suggest you might want to do a little more reading around the subject.

All I'd say is that I'm British and I think that in many respects the UK can be reasonably proud in terms of its record on race. But in terms of providing equal opportunities in the arts and acting (particualrly TV and film) on a comparable scale to the U.S., we still have some way to go.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/28/roles-uk-black-minority-ethnic-actors-worse-than-ever-claims-david-oyelowo

And Ejiofor over Elba for Bond? Seriously?

Oscar nominated Ejiofor is a far better actor than Elba, Ejiofor is a trained Shakespearee Theatre actor and has worked with Spike Lee, Ridley Scott and Steven Spielberg a whole world above Elba.

Elba is a former DJ and was a supporting TV actor that nobody had really heard of prior to Luther, which only grew in popularity as it grew a cult following over a few years, he is not a blockbuster leading man, he is a good TV actor who is good in supporting movie roles. He is currently voicing Shere Khan in the Jungle Book remake, I think that tell you he's found his level. He's the black Vinny Jones.

Well, he was pretty damn good in the Wire. But take your point. And a background in TV is where many Bond actors have come from - Rog, Tim, Pierce, Dan. It's how most British actors get their breaks.

Ejiofor may be the more overall gifted actor, but that doesnt automatically make him better Bond material.

Tim and Pierce were theatre trained prior to any TV roles. You are right in that TV helped both their careers. Dan was different though he had already worked with Spielberg and played lead in a Guy Ritchie movie. Brosnan's route to Bond was different he was dating Cassandra Harris who played Countess Lisl von Schlaf in FYEO in which he was introduced to Cubby on location who took one look at him and said ""if he can act ... he's my guy" in other words like Lazenby he was hired on his look alone. Dalton was a serious drama thespian actor the first actor hired on not just his look but his acting ability although Connery turned out to be a great he was also hired on his looks. Moore was hired because he was already a parody of Bond in Spy world in the Saint which had a massive following Moore was a Saltzman idea, Broccoli was unconvinced in casting him. Funny as Cubby and Moore because so close and even after Saltzman's departure Cubby stuck with him.

With the global audience and the budgets involved in Bond now, the days of casting a TV or Theatre actor only know to UK audience I believe are over. The next Bond will be someone British, and someone who has shown they have a range of acting with some global appeal and success. Dan will be a hard act to follow, in order to keep the non committal fans of the franchise to keep paying to see the movies it needs to be someone with draw. I think the one sticking out like a sore thumb is Tom Hardy two rumours which came over a year apart 1. He had already agreed to take over in a verbal agreement with EON and that he would not do a sequel to This Means War in which he played a spy or consider any other spy franchises. A year later the next rumour was that he has been told the job is his when Dan decides not to continue. I am looking at it from Barb's view and I am think Hardy is ticking the boxes

British
    Has already done massive films
    Has the physique
    Has a great range of acting
    Can be dry and funny
    dedicated to his craft and can morph in to roles Bane/Bronson/Krays
    Displays believable emotion on screen
    Gritty

He is at a good age to take over in two years, and an even better ages to take over in 4.
    Hardy himself says he doesn't want it to be talked about, because when peoples names are run by the press that person doesn't get considered further, so he clearly wants it.

I am pretty sure Tom Hardy will be the next James Bond. I reckon Nolan who worked who cast him in DKR and Inception would be the one directing him again.

Craig hasn't played a lead (or a supporting character for that matter) in a movie directed by Guy Richie. Which movie are you talking about?

Was there ever even a remote possibility there would be a sequel to This Means War? Goodness me... Anyway, Hardy has gone on record saying he was miserable doing it, so - especially since he can get decent work as well - I'm sure there's no chance he'd go anywhere near it - Bond or no Bond. And it's not like the role was Bond-like, anyway.

As for the age... How would 40 be a good age to take over and 42 "even better"?
    EON are constantly tinkering with the old banger - changing old parts and pimping the hood and the hubcaps. Bond never changes - it just finds new ways to stay the same.

I am not convinced Hardy would be a good move.

I'm not convinced, either. Even though I think he's a fantastic actor.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't think Hardy would be a good fit at all as James Bond, either. Too rugged, too famous now, and he'll be in his 40's once shooting starts for the first Bond film with a new actor after Craig. I see his name thrown around a lot, along with Fassbender and Elba. Why do people constantly think any of these men will play James Bond?

Yeah... I don't know... I certainly don't think any of them will. But at least it's easier to discuss about actors one knows a bit about instead of not.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't think Hardy would be a good fit at all as James Bond, either. Too rugged, too famous now, and he'll be in his 40's once shooting starts for the first Bond film with a new actor after Craig. I see his name thrown around a lot, along with Fassbender and Elba. Why do people constantly think any of these men will play James Bond?

I don't think many people think they will actually get the part. As you say, they're too old for one thing. They're just interesting names to consider. Better contenders than the names thrown around in the past - like Ewan McGregor and Hugh Grant.

Goodness... Though recently I saw an old article that mentioned Will Smith and Tom Cruise as contenders...
    Sir Hilary, as far as I know, Mad Max had 98% RT and was not the hit, they wanted. So, if they had a great film, what was the reason. Hardy maybe?

No. It's not a family film like Bond, and more of a cult franchise than Bond... and it had been a long time since the previous films. So more limited appeal. And it cost more than expected (nowhere near Spectre figures, though) due to unforeseen production problems. In any case, it was surely not expected to be a mega blockbuster in the first place, and it was hardly a flop. I'd say it did quite well all things considered (better than many expected, in fact), and more films are planned as well.

Craig played the lead in Guy Ritchie 's Layer Cake. Maybe try Google before you post rants questioning the validity of my posts. What a jerk.

Layer Cake isn't a Guy Ritchie film. Give it a Google.

Matthew Vaughan who was Guy Ritchies producer on past projects.
    It was MV's directing debut.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 5,131
    I thought he would be a great Bond director based on Layer cake.....then I saw Kingsman with Samuel L as his villain (poor performance) and I thought....never.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,400
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/huge-bet-placed-little-known-6748801

The new name being thrown around is Sam Riley. Great actor, but I don't see Bond. Maybe a villain. However, a lot of people said the exact same thing about Craig back in 2005. Riley has a certain intensity about him, something almost manic but still contained. But he's a little gangly and "indie" to follow the extremely masculine Daniel Craig interpretation. He's also not that great looking, nonetheless, an interesting choice for the media to throw around especially in a world full of obvious Idris Elba-esque candidates out there.

Sam-Riley-GQ-19May14_rex_b_426x639.jpg
    sam-riley-brighton-rock-600x376.jpg
    If you guys had too really put your neck on the line and say who will be the next bond do you think it will be Idris
    No. Bond is a white character.
  • If you guys had too really put your neck on the line and say who will be the next bond do you think it will be Idris

No. It's just empty media hype, exactly the same as when every article about the new Bond in 2003-4 was Clive Owen this, Clive Owen that.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Unfortunately that means nothing. I think Bond should remain as he was initially intended and has always been but if one explores racial discourse the fact is, he's a fictitious character of the here and now, forever contemporary and irrespective of what one's preferences are the fact is, a strong and valid argument can be made for Bond to be a man of any colour. Black, White, Brown, Yellow, Tanned, whatever. The fundamental attribute of the character himself is that he needs to be British.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    Hello, this is my first ever post here. I fear that Tom Hardy may be a case of right guy at the wrong time. The only way I can see him doing the role is if it is a one-off, which I think Eon would not stand for. But maybe the best way to replace Craig is to not replace him as such - bring in Hardy to do a pre-announced one-off and then bring in a new actor for a longer run. And that brings in Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who I think would be an interesting Bond. For outside bets, I will keep an eye on Christian Cooke, who at first glance is a bit too pretty but is getting regular US TV work and his looks are maturing in the right way.
    I think Henry Cavill would just be Brosnan Mark 2, which actually would be OK but perhaps a little bland. I do not think Idris Elba will get the role for various reasons, some of them fair and some not so fair. Fassbender is only even mentioned because he looks a bit like Craig - a non-starter for me.
    If an Amercian star was cast, I would look at either TV actor James Wolk or - and don't all laugh at once - Jake Gyllenhaal for a more soulful take on the role. But I do not see Eon casting an American and I would be unlikely to support that unless it was a terrific choice.
    But I get the feeling that the role will not be recast anytime in the next three years and that, in reality, the next Bond actor is off the radar right now.

Its always easy to give silly answers to me. Easy but rather stupid. How about either give a normal answer or nne at all. Not too difficult, me thinks.

But a normal answer would not be half as much fun. In any case I give far too many 'serious' comments on here as it is.
    Anyway, sorry that you didn't see the lighthearted joke for what it was.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If there is a relatively unknown Brit actor with the level of talent of Jake Gyllenhaal - sign him now! I find it hard to believe that Gyllenhaal's characters in Zodiac, Southpaw and Nightcrawler are played by the same guy - 3 totally different type of personalities.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    If there is a relatively unknown Brit actor with the level of talent of Jake Gyllenhaal - sign him now! I find it hard to believe that Gyllenhaal's characters in Zodiac, Southpaw and Nightcrawler are played by the same guy - 3 totally different type of personalities.
    Agreed. He doesn't quite have the Bond look (even if he is American to begin) but his performances in those 3 films were off the charts.....and you can add Prisoners to that too. Superb actor.

The new name being thrown around is Sam Riley. Great actor, but I don't see Bond. Maybe a villain. However, a lot of people said the exact same thing about Craig back in 2005. Riley has a certain intensity about him, something almost manic but still contained. But he's a little gangly and "indie" to follow the extremely masculine Daniel Craig interpretation. He's also not that great looking, nonetheless, an interesting choice for the media to throw around especially in a world full of obvious Idris Elba-esque candidates out there.

I haven't seen this chap in anything, but just looking at him makes me realize why the media may be hyping Elba. No thanks for me.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I remember seeing this guy in the Gemma Arterton film, Byzantium.
    Agreed. He doesn't quite have the Bond look (even if he is American to begin) but his performances in those 3 films were off the charts.....and you can add Prisoners to that too. Superb actor.

I haven't seen this chap in anything, but just looking at him makes me realize why the media may be hyping Elba. No thanks for me.
    But their casting Bond, not Mr Big.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    suavejmf wrote: »

Ha ha.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    suavejmf wrote: »

Post of the day!!!!
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I Think the best way to go after Craig is a GQ model type.

Obviously handsome beyond belif with descent acting skills, im not saying they should get a model but someone like Pierce Brosnan, Brad Pitt and Sean Connery in their respective prime.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Charlie Hunnam, shaven and with a clean cut of hair, could be very Connery-esque.