Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Szonana wrote: »
    What if we(audiences) could vote for the Bond actor since now on?

I wouldn't be surprised if the general public voted for Pierce Brosnan to return once Craig quits.

Me niether and it would be interesting to see him back at least for one more, but I don't he would accept.
    He doesn't hate the prodcers like Connery but he has moved on from Bond, though he has talked about unfinished business with the franchise so maybe he could come back to get one film like the ones he wanted from the beginning.

• Szonana wrote: »
    What if we(audiences) could vote for the Bond actor since now on?

Then we'd get Henry Cavill.

Although Luke Evans did win a recent GQ poll.

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2015-10/07/next-james-bond-idris-elba-tom-hardy
    Henry cavill wouldnt get voted. People rightly consider him bland. Luke evans will be too old, because by now I believe he will do the one more.
  • The problem with Cavill is that he looks the part but he has no charisma. He had the chance to prove himself in UNCLE and he just didn't have the insouciance and swagger to really sell that part (though I did enjoy the film). I'm afraid he would be another Lazenby: He looks perfect but just doesn't have 'it'.

For me, if Craig has left the role, the next Bond has to be Idris Elba. He's sorta perfect for the part and exactly what the franchise needs right now.

Idris-Elba-400x600.jpg

He's a good actor, he's sexy, he looks brilliant in a suit, he's stylish and he has loads of swagger.

What's not to like?!?

Ok, people have a problem with his age. Here's the thing, Bond is a brand and in this day of franchise overload, you need established stars to drive these things home. People love Bond at the moment because it has a star at the centre. Albeit Craig was only made a star because of Bond but he wasn't competing in as saturated a marketplace as today. Today if you want to compete with the others you need someone people are going to be excited over and that's Idris.

Some people don't want a black Bond; I personally think it's about time. There was probably a time in the 60s/70s where Bond's ethnicity was important (he's part of the establishment after all) but in 2015 our conception of 'the elite' has changed significantly. Bond's race is no longer a defining aspect of his character. The fact that Daniel Craig's Bond is white has not been an important part of his character.

Also the Bond franchise is constantly accused of following trends, and in many ways it is guilty. But if the producers make the bold move and hire a black actor they would really be setting a new pace for others to notice. Furthermore, it would be a hugely beautiful and progressive thing to do, especially considering Bond's status as the longest-running film franchise in the history of cinema.

I'm not saying they should simply cast a black actor for the sake of it. What I am saying is that they should cast the 'best' actor for the role, and that (for me) happens to be a black actor. I mean this guy is 007:

Idris%2BElba%2B%25283%2529.jpg
  • Tuulia wrote: »
    I think it's awful. As far as I know no other franchise is constantly put through a similar thing to the same extent - when there's a new movie the main attention is on the new movie, right? The main attention is on the actor playing the role, not on other actors suggested by someone to the role. Also, no other franchise is expected to radically change the lead character to be black or female or whatever. I don't take it as a compliment that a Bond actor is not allowed to just be Bond, without inquiries about when will you leave and who is next. And it's as if the character itself just isn't accepted to be what it is (even with some changes over the decades), but should become a different character in order to... what?

Bond gets these criticisms of "he should be black", "he should be gay", "he should be female" etc because of what he represents - a white, (aggressively) heterosexual male. Batman and Superman etc don't get this same criticism because they're essentially non-sexual. They have PG level "love interests" but there are no sex scenes. PC groups mostly in America want everything to be multicultural and multi-sexual, so Bond is a massive target for them because he represents a more old fashioned, conservative worldview.

And that's exactly why there won't be any changes.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-second-weekend-by-the-sea-bombing-angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-1201622151/

"continues to show a heavy older male turnout for Bond 24 at 59% guys and 72% over 25"

Bond skews to a much older, and therefore conservative, audience than the average millenial bait Marvel/Furious 7 type of movie. The Bond audience knows what they like, and they like Bond because its familiar and they know what they're going to get. Changing Bond to black or gay will turn off the core audience, period. When it comes to hiring Bond 7, EON might make some PC noises about looking at actors of all skin colors etc etc, but when it comes down to it, guaranteed it'll be a white guy.

And just in time to prove my point, SPECTRE gets the Newt Gingrich seal of approval :))

I have to admit I would very much have liked to see Elba as Bond but he's too old I think.

There's a swagger and self confidence about Elba that would be a welcome antidote to the slightly miserablist approach we've had from Craig. I think Elba's Bond would know how to enjoy himself a little more, while still playing it fairly serious.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 709
    The problem with Cavill is that he looks the part but he has no charisma. He had the chance to prove himself in UNCLE and he just didn't have the insouciance and swagger to really sell that part (though I did enjoy the film). I'm afraid he would be another Lazenby: He looks perfect but just doesn't have 'it'.

For me, if Craig has left the role, the next Bond has to be Idris Elba. He's sorta perfect for the part and exactly what the franchise needs right now.

He's a good actor, he's sexy, he looks brilliant in a suit, he's stylish and he has loads of swagger.

What's not to like?!?

Cockney accent, weird bulky physique, already has grey hair, does DJ-ing/hip hop in his spare time, seems to have a chip on his shoulder about Bond, narcissist cheeseball constantly posting selfies on instagram...
    I actually don't care what he's like in real life. I Just think he'd be good on screen as Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I am a huge fan of Elba and his work. I would love to see him play a spy or some type of similar part. I don't see him as Bond because he's black; I say that without a hint of racism. For me Bond is a Caucasian, British male. He's not seven feet tall or four feet tall, he's not Asian, overweight, rail thin, female, Hispanic, American, Eskimo, Gay, Bald, he doesn't have a lisp, he's not a Siamese twin and on and on and on.
    The point is for the vast majority of people who don't see Elba in the role of Bond base their opinion on a preference, not an ism.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2015 Posts: 8,087
    Elba is 43. If they recast, the next Bond film will be out no sooner than 2018, when he will be 46. Where is the logic in hiring an actor who could conceivably play Bond a maximum of 3 times?

Everyone needs to just give up on Elba being Bond. It isn't going to happen. That ship has well and truly sailed. Plus, Craig could yet return, sealing the door to Bond shut for Elba. Better to pick someone younger, whose chances would be relatively unaffected by Craig return for one more.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The funny thing is, if EoN did cast Elba or a black actor the media, true to form will react negatively once the reviews hit. This crap happens all the time. It was only 10 years ago the media were taking the piss out of blond Bond and this is a white guy they're insulting. "We want the fun back" "we want the Bond of old" they get that in SP and still, they're not happy. EoN need to focus on their jobs and not what garbage is plaguing the headlines with media Bond claptrap.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Elba would be spectacularly good in the role and put Craig to shame.

But we all know, the world is not yet ready for that, furthermore it can be debated where the line of changing the character has to be drawn.

Blond and short was accepted because of the quality of CR.
    But what is next? Muscular like Dwayne Johnson? American? Red-haired? 25 years old?

If EON would decide to go with Elba, I would be fine with it. The deciding factor would be the quality of the movie.

Don't be fooled, if QOS had been the first Craig movie, the guy would have been buried by the media.

Brosnan got lucky with GE, Craig got lucky with CR.
    Elba is the best black candidate for the job but is too old. I actually think if you're going to have black guy in the role he'd have been excellent.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I am a huge fan of Elba and his work. I would love to see him play a spy or some type of similar part. I don't see him as Bond because he's black; I say that without a hint of racism. For me Bond is a Caucasian, British male. He's not seven feet tall or four feet tall, he's not Asian, overweight, rail thin, female, Hispanic, American, Eskimo, Gay, Bald, he doesn't have a lisp, he's not a Siamese twin and on and on and on.
    The point is for the vast majority of people who don't see Elba in the role of Bond base their opinion on a preference, not an ism.

I agree, but of course you're not allowed to say these things in polite society! It's assumed that if you have any criticisms whatsoever of Elba playing Bond, then you're a racist. The sad thing is, Anthony Horowitz was absolutely right when he said he was too "street" but he got raked across the coals for saying this. I'd say Elba was too street in the same way I'd say Jason Statham or Vinnie Jones were too street.

Another reason I don't want a black actor is that for its entire two year production period, Bond becomes a political issue. There would be thinkpieces every week about what this means for society and culture. Every single interview with anyone involved with the film would be about race. Things would get very bitter on the internet and the Daniel Craig negative reception would look like a warm welcome by comparison. I just want my two (and a half) hours of light entertainment!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree about Elba's swagger. He has it in abundance, and he naturally oozes confidence. Additionally, he has the height and build.

Only Connery and to a lesser extent (because he was a little too refined / delicate in appearance) Moore have had that among the Bond actors imho.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    I just don't see it with Elba and I don't know why he's always being thrown into the running. The next Bond will be a relative unknown; by the time Craig quits, any potential candidate today will be far too old.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Elba is no James Bond but there's always room for a new Charles Robinson. :P
    Murdock wrote: »

I disagree.

I've read a few people say Elba is "too street". I think they were echoing Horowitz's comments.

Well, Fleming thought Connery was too street as well, until he saw what TY had done with him. It was actually the brooding, latent violence and menace in Connery, with the smooth outer layer, that made him such an amazing Bond.

I think Elba has the same potential to convey that lethal danger with a thin layer of sophistication. Watch him as Stringer Bell in The Wire - he's fantastic as the gangster turned aspiring businessman.
    Getafix wrote: »

I disagree.

I've read a few people say Elba is "too street". I think they were echoing Horowitz's comments.

Well, Fleming thought Connery was too street as well, until he saw what TY had done with him. It was actually the brooding, latent violence and menace in Connery, with the smooth outer layer, that made him such an amazing Bond.

I think Elba has the same potential to convey that lethal danger with a thin layer of sophistication. Watch him as Stringer Bell in The Wire - he's fantastic as the gangster turned aspiring businessman.

Well I'm in the camp that thinks Bond should remain Caucasian, so we'll just agree to disagree.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,425

I disagree.

Well I'm in the camp that thinks Bond should remain Caucasian, so we'll just agree to disagree.

Fair enough. I'm not in the camp that wants a black Bond for the sake of it. I just think there is a reason that people keep on mentioning Elba and that's because when they picture him in the role there is something that just seems right about it - regardless of skin colour. I think a lot of people can see that he's got potential to really be Bond. Personally speaking he seems more 'right' for the role than any of the other white actors who've been touted. I'm not saying it because he's black, but because I think he'd be good.

But he's too old and it's not going to happen.
    [I just think there is a reason that people keep on mentioning Elba and that's because when they picture him in the role there is something that just seems right about it - regardless of skin colour.
    I don't want a black Bond either, but I have to agree with this. Elba screams Bond and that's why it's being brought up over and over again. He is the best man for the job.

The pressure is on EON to find a suitable 'white' successor to Craig, to finally dispense with these rumours.
    bondjames wrote: »
    [I just think there is a reason that people keep on mentioning Elba and that's because when they picture him in the role there is something that just seems right about it - regardless of skin colour.
    I don't want a black Bond either, but I have to agree with this. Elba screams Bond and that's why it's being brought up over and over again. He is the best man for the job.

The pressure is on EON to find a suitable 'white' successor to Craig, to finally dispense with these rumours.

I don't see how anyone who speaks in a cockney accent is "the best man for the job". Yeah, I know, he could do an accent for Bond. But why hire someone who has to change the way they speak when there are plenty of candidates who would naturally sound right for it.

Anyway, straight from the horse's mouth...

http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/14/idris-elba-james-bond/?adid=external_site_spinmedia
    He'll never be Bond. Elba should call up Tarantino so they can make a new spy Franchise.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone who speaks in a cockney accent is "the best man for the job".
    Let me explain why I said that, irrespective of his accent. As I mentioned, I'm generally not in favour of a black Bond, being somewhat of a traditionalist.

However, when I see the wusses and generally uncharismatic & ineffectual actors that have been bandied about on this very thread as possible successors to Craig, I realize that Elba just blows them out of the water. The only handicap he faces: He's black and he's older.

So whoever EON comes up with had better be damn good. In a way, the shadow of Elba will keep them on their toes and ensure we eventually get a worthy successor to Craig.
    I dont see confidence, i see just arrogance...and not in a good way. Personally, I feel, he is not good looking even. Alone for him being unable to take over, DC needs to do one more. And i have said a couple of times, i am not sure, he should.

But like I said, Babs wont want him for several reasons.
    I have the perfect solution. B25!

It starts with the traditional gunbarrel at the beginning, Following, a new 007 (Not James Bond) played by Elba walks in a room looking for info on SPECTRE. He opens a filing drawer and oh no there's a Bomb inside! It was a trap! The new 007 has been tragically killed in action. Daniel Craig returns like clockwork and reestablishes himself as 007 once again. =))
    Works like a charm ;;)
    I'm just spitballing but I think it works. The title song will be "So who's funeral is it? Not Mine!" :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm just spitballing but I think it works. The title song will be "So who's funeral is it? Not Mine!" :))

The title will be:

YOU only live once!
    In the end, he got the door shown in first round of GQ, for rxample. I think, he isnt half as popular for the role, as tje media wants us to nelieve. Bit he is better hesdlines, thats all. It eill not happen. Sorry ole boy.